Kino

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentinel_species#Historical_examples
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bretty gud

>humanity's biggest ally are big black concaves
reaaallyyy subtle

is it actually good? I like villaneuve's other movies

It was very good, IMO. The less you read about it, the better though...try to go in as a blank slate.

dropped my contact lens sorry f a m

I love alien movies but was very hesitant because I hate Amy Adams. It was great. A solid 8.9/10

>Imagine if this Film was called 'Contact'
>Imagine if someone photoshopped it anyway

that's probably the entire reason why they didn't call it Contact

I loved the film, and it made me tear up.

There are some things that bothered me tho

Why did the soldier guy hired two linguists and expected them to ask the aliens a question when they where explaining him that they needed to understand each other first? She even explains to him why a simple question like why they have come to earth has many connotations and could be misunderstood, and he even has a line where he complains about her using simple words from a children's book to teach them words, like what was that guy's problem? I get he was under pressure from his superiors, but they should know they were dealing with something completely not human and so they needed to approach this in the most basic way possible, I get there is lots of stupid people in the military, but this should be obvious to at least one of them, and they are not listening to the very people they hired that understand language.

Was it ever established that the aliens were speaking to her through her dreams? thats the impression some of the flashbacks-later-visions-of-the-future-scenes gave me.

when she goes up to the ship the symbols of the aliens now come with subtitles, did I miss the part where they could establish which symbol was which? did they did that during the exposition sequence?

was it not suspicious when they both came into the alien chamber and saw all the equipment the other guys left? did they used to leave stuff behind before? If not they should've wondered why the guys outside stayed behind and still left everything inside. they could have spotted the bomb that way.

after they establish that is safe to be without a hazmat suit in the alien ship, why did the other guys still wore them? why did they still bothered to decontaminate their vehicles and stuff?

Just got back from seeing it, knew nothing other than that it was sci fi.

It's kino.

Well in regards to your first point I was in the military and you can not underestimate the illogical nature of higher ups or their insane demands for something to happen on their schedule. To add to this the US military was trying to figure things out while having to deal with every other country that was trying to do the same. It was just a ton of pressure from every angle and they were trying to get things done by pressuring everyone (as they do in reality). But in the end they did let her do things her way which was good.

yeah, most people are fucking morons.

if the events of the movie actually happened, it would probably go a lot worse.

Also the americans would have no problem being the ones starting fights and killing their own to protect secrets.

Solid 6/10 if that don't know why people like it or think there is any depth to it. Shit is as shallow as can be and it's biggest commentary are a tepid poke at predetermination and unity.

There was 0 reason for anything in this movie other than it's commentary on a few things which it failed to comment on, instead you got a fairly pretty movie with nothing of interest to say and a deliberately out of order intro to lead to the 'twist' of the timeless language she learns.

Worse than both prisoners and Sicario, maybe on par or little worse than enemy.

Kind of a dopey ending, but at least it worked unlike Interstellar. It took them 2 minutes of pounding in the twist and I feel like half of my theater still didn't get it. Best movie of the year imo.

The entire movie is based on the premise that language influences the way we think.

So a language that is based upon a different interpretation of time apparently gives anyone the ability to see into the future.

Kinda stupid in my opinion.

your balls shrank in the theater when abbot and costello pushed them out of the communication chamber before the blast with that bis warbled bass sound effect

yeah. especially when I thought they were gonna break the barrier and just take the bomb inside them to protect them both or something, also why didn't they just did that as soon as they noticed they left a bomb? unless they didn't know it was a bomb, but then why were they trying to warn them? unless they didn't expect the blast to destroy the chamber, but then it did apparently, so they should've pushed it away before anyone else got there

>"Ready for me to baste your cervix with my baby gravy?"

WTF, that line felt out of nowhere

>some people didn't understand the twist

holy shit

No, but I did enjoy when they first showed all of costello. Also Abbot was the boy.

Also, jesus christ @ the "stay frosty" line when the dudes pull out guns.

I'm gonna enjoy tearing this flicks ass hole open when me and my fellow pirates get our hands on it

Contarian for life!

It's true though. I'm in korean right now and I have to think in a completely different way when speaking it as compared to english.

Can someone break it down for me? Like I get she knows she's gonna have a kid with Renner and decides to anyway even though she knows it will die. She doesn't tell Renner this and he leaves her over it because he's a scientist and would have wanted to abort that thing.

Sure, but I doubt it would give you future-seeing powers.

I think he leaves after she is born, and must feel really conflicted once she tells him what will happen that he decides to leave all of that, and probably tries to distance himself from his daughter to avoid the coming emotional destruction... [/spoier]

She decides experiencing the joy of being married and having her daughter is worth the inevitable pain. It also ties in to the predetermination that if the future is known then it cannot be changed, or as the short story argues that the person is UNlikely to change it. Jeremy "splatter a baby inside ya" Renner could have disagreed for a slew of reasons but they are irrelevant to the actual story. But ya, could've been mad she didn't tell him and left him in the dark in regards to their child before they had it, upset at the notion that his life is already determined, just upset for everything really. Nigga maybe has some soul searching to do but it's irrelevant and really man she explains it in the last 5 minutes so where were you?

But ya, shallow shit movie where nothing happens and no conversations worth having are touched upon. Even Donnie mememan Darko was more interesting than this in a totally unironic manner. 2 of the bro-est bro aliens don't fix this movie that should never have been made.

they should of just adopted

Does he really say splatter a baby in ya? Fuck I must have missed that also.

I don't know the ending was powerful and moved me a bit but it still felt like some liberal cuck shit. Like I know if I could see in the future that my kid is gonna have cancer I'll abort and try again.

This movie sucked

Came back an hour ago -- high as a kite.

Perfect movie to watch medicated.

you gotta admit the music really transported you to a new mind state

I don't know, I didn't see it high but I'm high now and I feel like I'd be really confused.

Just got out of seeing it adter knowing nothing about it. It was fucking amazing.

Day the Earth Stood Still remains the best possible alien visitation scenario.

>ship comes down
>representative comes out
>Hello I am from a UN of alien worlds, behave or we fuck you up ;)
>tech demo
>then leaves

Arrival:
>lrn our language
>WORLD PEAS!!

anyone else expected the two aliens to be revealed to be like the hands of an even bigger alien who was actually the ship? And that there are only 12 of them left and thats why they needed humanity for some reason?

Also because Contact already exists.

Yeah, I missed half the dialogue desu. My mind was blown though. Need to rewatch sometime.

nanananannananananannananannananannanananana

Well directed, enjoyable while you're watching it, but the story falls apart once you start thinking about it afterwards.

>potato wedges invade earth
kino

It was good, my biggest gripe was that you never learn as much about the ayy lmaos as you'd like. You learn what they look like, that their language involves ink circles and conveys emotions differently from human written language, and that they have a non-linear perception of time, but not much else.

The movie itself asks questions that are never answered, such as
>do they have FTL travel?

>be tonight
>be me
>be on date with girl
>halfway through movie
>she asks me to take her home
>says she would rather hangout with her friends

movie was shit and made me cry about my existance desu

where torrent?

cant find this piece of crap anywhere yet everybody has seen it? how?

we paid to see it, user

>taking a girl to movies on the first date.
Rookie move m8. Has nothing to with the film.

third date

kek

Is that OP's Mother's diaphragm?

Eat shit, kid. Get a job.

If u didnt fuck her after the second date then you fucked up

i have a job?

Really enjoyable. Very creative in the presentation. Probably my favorite first contact m̶o̶v̶i̶e̶ film now.

The first sequence when Louise and co. met with the ayy l'maos was awesome, and I mean in the awe striking sense.

>8.9/10
>decimal ratings

Disgusting.

I agree with your sentiment though.

Sorry friendo. My girlfriend loved it.

Sup Forums - Television & Film

Heard Raimi was a consultant.

maybe for your kind of diseased filled women

good to hear. girl still textin me so i guess it looks like she was autistic enough to hangout with her friend during a date

either way im nextin her

>he does it for free

>Shit is as shallow as can be
>"I watch stuff for the plot and social commentary"

>Enemy
>worse than Sicario or Prisoners

wew lad. Your post is like venom to the intellectual mind.

>Abbott is death process

Was Costello autistic?

Was it implied that Abbott was dying because he got injured when the bomb went off?

Or did he just happen to be dying of old age or something at the same time?

>adams
>renner

I think the conclusion is left to us, but I think it's a safe assumption to believe that it was the bomb.

>adams
I get this, but when she's got a good director, she does great.
>renner
Why though?

Well yeah it's a movie not a wiki. It's establishing that setting up communication like that is really, really hard. So to info-dump like that goes against the point of the movie.

She can't change the future dummy. She's seeing in to the future but at the same time it's something that already happened. If she aborted her next child would probably have been to die of cancer

I think you are supposed to assume the bomb is at fault but it is not really clear.

The weapon wasn't the language. The weapon was future-seeing. Otherwise she could have thought the language to anybody with her book. It was specifically given to her.

In the movie, she knows the future but it's also predestined. The future she knows is also the future in which she has knowledge of the future. All of time is simultaneous to her. She can't change her decision in the future because to her, she's ALREADY made that decision. Saying something like "the future" isn't meaningful.

Renner only has hurt locker going for him. Everything else has been sterotypical action hero shit. I've just gotten to the point where I can't take him serious as an actor anymore, kind of like what Jason Statham did with his career after he made it big in Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. He has played the same sterotypical action hero character in too many different movies.

He was serviceable in Mission Impossible and American Hustle.

To elaborate more, saying she can change the future is like saying she can change the past. Think of your own past. You already know what's happened. It's set in stone, you can't change it. The past, present and future are all the same to her and the aliens. You have to go through the motions of certain actions but they're all inevitable.

This, there's that big conceit about the re-wiring of the brain, but it's Sci-Fi, you're allowed conceits. That's kinda the point. It's an exploration of a "what if it worked this way?" kinda scenario.

It's not /real/.

I feel ya, personally I'd give him all the credit for The Town being watchable at all. He may have "sold out", but he's got good chops.

I remember reading the short story, there was no mention of the "weapon" right? She just had her perception of time altered, she didn't literally gain the power to see the future, she just lost all sense of distinction between past present and future.

It was okay at best. I'm not familiar with the source material but I feel like it was a lot of wasted potential. The aliens and their ship were interesting, I wanted to see more of that. The interpersonal stuff with adams, renner, and their kid left me completely uninterested.

It's like hollywood always has to insert sappy and cliche shit into films like this. Stop trying to make it touching, because I really don't care and it takes away from the big picture and the content that's actually interesting. Same problem with Interstellar.

>hollywood

Fuck man this film was fantastic. Made me tear up. The theme of time really got to me. I loved the ending. I think its a film thats really going to take multiple viewings to completely digest but fuck it was great.

I didnt think it was cliche.

amazing movie familia

So you are mad that the movie accomplished what it wanted to be instead of being a movie about science fiction? You're retarded. Science fiction is a jumping off point to explore humans and human emotion. Fuck off

I get his frustration but he really shouldn't be looking to movies if he wants a bunch of exposition about how an alien race might work. Plenty of books for that, or wikis that compile all the information. Sometimes I just read random wiki entries on fictional alien races for fun to see what unique stuff people have thought of.

Not really. They spell it out for you. Once you learn the language you experience time the way the heptapods do, non-chronologically. Everything happened the way it was supposed to. It isn't that complicated.

no, the movie heavily implies shang learned how to do it too

also it's not "future-seeing", time being non-linear means that its as much future-seeing as it is past-seeing (as seemingly useless that seems) It's not a power and the word weapon is used metaphorically as a tool like they stated early in the movie

It also wouldn't make sense for them all to go to Earth and hand JUST her a weapon for some big conflict happening thirty lifetimes after she dies.

Here is your reply. Now gtfo

I think it's safe to assume that they do given their "vanish into air" technology, use of some sort of energy that doesn't seem to have any affect on its surroundings or produce waste, and their ability to control gravity seemingly at will.

Given that they don't just perceive time as nonlinear, but seem to literally experience it as such, that would pretty much cause a technological singularity.

For example, the reason no communications are detected between ships is because they can already communicate everything to each other in the future, which their past selves can act upon when interacting with the humans.

That means they also have knowledge of future technology that they can act upon in the past.

>Why did the soldier guy hired two linguists and expected them to ask the aliens a question when they where explaining him that they needed to understand each other first?
the first linguist they got was hired in a rush and bitched out after one meeting. He probably wasn't very good

It could have been more tolerable with better casting. Adams and renner, hell naw.

>Science fiction is a jumping off point to explore humans and human emotion.
Pretty vain and boring if you ask me.

Is it too much to ask to have a couple of movies every decade or so that can pull it off, even a little bit?

Kino? Fucken Kino? It's gonna go down as one of the greats. It's undeniably a fucken masterpeice.

did i miss something? what was the bird for

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentinel_species#Historical_examples

if the room had some sort of harmful substance in it the bird would be killed much faster than the humans, giving them time to run

>this is what villeneuveplebs actually believe

I'm sorry you didn't get this masterpiece maybe when you stop being a faggot you will.

>the human experience is boring
>hurr durr I wanna see cool space stuff instead
literally kys

You sound exactly like the people who went to see Drive and complained because they thought they were seeing a movie like Fast and the Furious. And then they take it out on the movie when they are the idiots responsible for their own disappointment.

Naw I really enjoyed Drive. Arrival was just Contact with worse actors.

watch more movies

>Arrival was just Contact with worse actors
A gross simplification. But why would I expect something intelligent from somebody who clearly lacks the mental capacity to appreciate a great film?

Great flick

I wished they delved a bit more into the language, especially the learning fase. I would be interested to see how you make the transition of concrete physical things (chair, walking, human) to more abstract notions (purpose, death, proces etc). Even more so because they weren't trying to communicate with humans who would probably share a great deal of concepts, but with aliens who might have a fundamentally different conception of reality. I think they skipped through it just a bit too easily with that montage.

>the movie heavily implies shang learned how to do it too

Where?

>happening thirty lifetimes after she dies

Yes it does. They gave her the weapon or taught her the language, whatever it is, chose that specific moment in history to unify Earth and guide mankind to a future timeline where they would help the heptapods.

Anyway, it makes 0 sense why learning a language would give you the ability to see the future. The whole "offer weapon" thing but nothing but a red herring.