I'm temporarily moving to Mexico City for 4 months. What advice can Mexanons give me?

I'm temporarily moving to Mexico City for 4 months. What advice can Mexanons give me?

Dont do it

Don't go to Establo de Mexico

Where? And what are you going to do for a living?
Also, advice regarding what?

Saying you are going to Mexico City is not saying much desu.

What's wrong with Edomex? I'm going to be staying in a suburb on the border of Edomex and DF and commuting to a center about 20km from Toluca.

Parts of it are really, really dangerous. What suburb?

I work as a tech for a German car company. They're building a new plant in Mexico and sending me and a few guys from my dealership for training on the new to be built cars in Edomex but the recommended housing is right on the periphery of Mexico City.

Huixquilucan

Its ok, but its not mexico city, its establo de mexico, you'll be fine as long as you don't go to Iztapalapa, or the slums around the other side of the city
Be aware of yourself and don't be a show off
But you will be perfectly safe

You'll be perfectly find there, that's a rich part, and I mean rich. Just don't go to "Ecatepec" or "Nezahualcoyotl".
That's not really Mexico City, tho.

You go back to your roots?

It sounds like you'll live like a king. Wish I could help, but I'm not really familiar with edomex. If you ever go to Mexico City, it is like this (incomplete).

It's shit, from the mainstream places, only Cancún is nice in Mexico. Dog help you, user.

I want to see Xochimilco, the museums near the Zocalo, Roma and maybe hike around Ajusto for sure. I've been to Polanco when I was 12 and hated it, even as a kid I detected a Beverly Hills style unjustified arrogance thing going on but worse. Huixquilucan is near Santa Fe right?

Kinda, I'm like 8th gen Burger though, can't speak much Spanish, and the Mexican parts of my family are from Yucatan and Jalisco.

Parts of the State of Mexico are top tier (Valle de Bravo, Tepotzotlan, El Oro, Huixquilucan, etc.), others are just plain hell. You'll live in the good parts, just be cautious.
>Cancún
Tourist trap

If you really look "gringo", you'll be approached by people asking you for money, speaking in English.

Start talking in gibberish and pretend you are from a very obscure country, like Latvia, to escape their harassing.

Taxi drivers use to "change" your bills when you pay them, so, you give them $500 pesos and quickly they will change it and tell you that you gave them $50. Same will happen with $20 an $1,000 pesos bills. To avoid, tell them clearly before giving them the money: "Le estoy dando $50 pesos, aquí dice claramente, $50, no me cambie el billete" before giving them the bill.

Keep your passport in your hotel room/house, I doubt you'll get robbed but just in case, I guess this applies to any country with average to high crime rate.

Do not try to buy drugs, probably you'll end up in trouble and lose money.

Talk a lot with your future co-workers/students, they will give you information more precise of the area where you are going to be living/working/studying.

Have fun.

dont go to chalco or anything that has "chalco" on its name.

if you want to visit me go to nezahualcoyotl :3

Pay a visit also to my beloved hipster Coyoacan where I'm from and you better get used to the arrogance, Huixquilucan is the same

I'm half white half chicano so everyone thinks I'm middle eastern. I usually just start speaking broken Armenian to avoid any situation I don't like.

Yeah, I don't like Polanco neither. Also this >Huixquilucan is the same
San Angel, Jardines del Pedregal, are much better rich parts desu.

Like he says, carry pocket change, no one will even take 1000 peso bills, most thing don't cost that much and those bills are a great way to loose a lot of money if lost or stolen
Buy a CDMX card to rent public bikes, get in the metro and metrobus
In taxies the classic VW Beetle is not allowed as a taxi anymore, if you happen to spot one, avoid it, its probably not even a pirate taxi
In edo mex I strongly advise using only uber

Just use Uber, not taxis. And when in Mexico City, don't be afraid to use the subway, its breddy good, just learn the rush hours (6 to 8, both am and pm).

>Buy a CDMX card to rent public bikes, get in the metro and metrobus

Are these bikes just in the central areas near reforma or all over? All the info I can find on them seems to show them primarily from the Zocalo to Chapultepec.

So Uber safe, taxis unsafe? What about a rented car? Will I become a target driving around in something like a lower end BMW or Mercedes? They seem like common enough cars from the vids and pics I've seen to not stand out much.

BMWs yes, mercedes are not that common tho

if you dont mind getting called a fag, look for a prius

Yeah they are very limited now, but they will get there, most of the nice areas you will want to hang around have them
Taxies in Edo Mex are as unsafe as you can get, in CDMX not really, just check that they are pink and white and that the driver matches the picture on the window, and rental cars, well I hope you have experience in the absolute madness the traffic here is, BMW or Mercs will just make you a target of "that asshole in the BMW" the only cars that will make you stand out are exotic euro cars, everything else its pretty common, you are not in a small town

>Uber safe, taxis unsafe
Yes, especially in Estado de Mexico.
Inside Mexico City taxis are not really unsafe, but Uber is just a much better service. I don't know about traffic in Estado de Mexico, but inside Mexico City it's fucking insane, I would never like drive there.

>Will I become a target driving around in something like a lower end BMW or Mercedes
As in people wanting to rob you inside you vehicle or other violent stuff? Maybe a little, but not really. Just beware of where you park, people stealing cars while you are not there is really common, honestly.

What does Chalco mean?

What's with Mexico City and social snobbery? It seems even worse than what I've seen in Los Angeles and Germany.

beheadings

Chalco means lake front I think
Here it isn't that much about your skin color, but the money in your pocket
Sadly

>"on the edge of the lake"
Never been there, but as far as memes go: poor area that floods a lot. Literally on the complete opposite of where you'll be.

>Huixquilucan
>Ecatepec
>Nezahualcoyotl
>Xochimilco

You have relly badass sounding city names right there, do people usually struggle with their pronunciation?

>Huixquilucan
Güicsquilucan
>Ecatepec
Como suena
>Nezahualcoyotl
Nezagualcoyotul
>Xochimilco
Sochimilco

Not hard

Everyone in Central Mexico is used to those names, so not hard if you listen to them since you are kid. Not sure about Northerners, or Southerners (they have names in other native languages).

If you like forests i recommend parque dos aguas

Its breddy gud and i take my dogs there every two months

Clean and the town is comfy (its pretty much a favela but its actually safe)

Thanks, this is exactly the type of stuff I'm looking for. I'll definitely look into it user.

If you like nature, El Nevado de Toluca in the State of Mexico is pretty great.

Looks like my kind of shizz. Thanks user.

Mexico suffers enough because of Ameriburgers. They don't need to put up with one in person on top of the rest.
Stay the fuck away.

>Huixquilucan
The only name people from other parts of Mexico can have trouble with
>Nezahualcoyotl
He's known as the poet king of Texcoco, everyone knows him, he's in the 100 pesos bill
>Xochimilco
Kinda known place, kinda similar to Xóchitl, a common name in all of Mexico
>Ecatepec
Unknown but it's not hard

As another user said, we're used to places having the names from before the conquista, but they're in a lot of languages (we have around 200 native languages, 67 of those are the official languages alongside Spanish)

For example, I live in Jalisco, the municipalities that make Guadalajara are called Zapopan, Tlaquepaque, Tlajomulco, Ixtlahuacán, Tonalá, Juanacatlán and Guadalajara and El Salto