Why are you not listening to classical music right now...

Why are you not listening to classical music right now? You know deep inside that it's the most satisfying genre of any music and your semi-obscure popular music can't possibly match up. What's your reason?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0LPmWLy4c1o
youtube.com/watch?v=JdTa7VRKlZM
youtube.com/watch?v=_BWynv3OMzY
youtube.com/watch?v=OYQe_by2PL8
youtube.com/watch?v=KPL19IgsEHc
youtube.com/watch?v=ZNUui99aSNc
youtube.com/watch?v=7nVmFlSV1ok
youtube.com/watch?v=KeUTzCvoBEQ
youtube.com/watch?v=DUmq1cpcglQ
youtube.com/watch?v=JKkAA5FKk7A
youtube.com/watch?v=GpxCREPeo4c
youtube.com/watch?v=ILpCKQlDmhc
youtube.com/watch?v=O2KUTa6P6lM
youtube.com/watch?v=8mZMEVAlXm0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

its poopoo

t. teodor adorno

>Why are you not listening to classical music right now?
because I'm in the middle of listening to Third Ear Band instead, silly

It takes a certain mood. Although I highly admire classical and its my third favorite genre but it takes a certain ear that the technological revolution in music has kinda killed.

>your semi-obscure popular music can't possibly match up

I am though.
>tfw Rienzi

>it takes a certain ear that the technological revolution in music has kinda killed.

i think ik what you mean, but you should elaborate

Alright you fucking pseuds post what you're listening to right now. Cheat and you die.
youtube.com/watch?v=0LPmWLy4c1o

chillax dude, I threw on some Cyril Scott earlier today

youtube.com/watch?v=JdTa7VRKlZM

youtube.com/watch?v=_BWynv3OMzY

But I am. Listening to Le Tombeau de Couperin
Prokofiev is GOAT

I made it, boys. The Kingdom of Heaven awaits.
youtube.com/watch?v=OYQe_by2PL8

I recently switched to 100% classical listening. However I am over 40 years old.

>Every genre of music besides classical is worthless: The post
We've had thousands of these. You have to be more creative.

Age is trivial, you're here and that's what counts.

>classical
i'm listening to baroque, you filthy pleb

Baroque is literally the shittiest era

>
not op but music is better now maybe that's what he meant

I had a midlife crisis at 21, sold my guitar, bought a keyboard, been listening to classical, and have never looked back.
I still listen to some emo shit, but classical moves me like no other music.

It's boring: no loud guitars, bass and drums; no crazy bastards doing completely fucked-up shit.

>no loud guitars, bass and drums
It's nothing compared to listening to a symphony cranked all the fucking way up. Literally like pic related. It's like seeing God.

>no crazy bastards doing completely fucked-up shit
Listen to pretty much anything after 1900 or so. Especially after 1950.

I used to have a more passing respect for art music and jazz at one point rather than something I actively listened to. But honestly, now I am wondering why people older than me that also listen to music with a careful attention to detail don't listen to more art music and jazz. At some point, if attention to detail is your thing, art music and jazz will offer it more so than anything else out there, being by far the most mentally stimulating stuff out there.

There's usually three arguments against the music that I hear. The first is based on diversity of timbres, which either doesn't take into account the large variety of instruments used in the musical style, or has a more shallow/fleeting outlook on timbre based on what's trendy. Then there's the emotional perspective claiming that such music can't have emotional content, which is a judgment based on narrow minded purely subjective experience than anything that can be held in a more broad, universal sense. Finally there's the idea that this kind of music can't be visceral in the way popular music isn't, which is what I agree with and why I supplement my art music and jazz stuff with more visceral takes on popular music (punk, metal, hip hop, electronic genres, etc.)

I am listening to Bach's Cello Suite rn
:)

not knowing where to start

i know i really dont want "delicate" sounding stuff

it doesnt have to be 1812 overture, but i do like Rachmaninov's isle of the Dead

my opinion on classical music is considerably skewed since the only musical items I've listened to in my childhood, or care to remember is islamic prayer and fucking NPR classical station.

Literally listened to that fucking station for the entirety of my childhood, the hundreth fucking four seasons starts to turn your attitude on Vivaldi and the like.

But I actually enjoy it a fuckload now, likely because it reminds me of my childhood. That and essentially dadrock.

And Bertie Higgins, oddly enough.

>Baroque is literally the shittiest era

music is generally simpler, a shorter-brighter burn, because we have so many other forms of entertainment.

I am

>harpsichord

I don't know. I don't like it.

Harpsichord sounds amazing

this

time for Schnittke and Schoenberg

Ives and his Symphony #4

go fuck yourself and afterwards go fuck yourself

calm down

classical music is ok for background noise but when i really want to listen it's kpop every time

It makes me cringe, both from the actual timbre and how so many ridiculous "magical" Baroque melodies used it.

Its just hard to beat a pianoforte and cello.

classical music doesn't have the physical, groovy quality that my favorite semi-obscure popular bands have. on the other hand, my semi-obscure popular bands considerably lack in the harmony department most of the time, rarely venturing beyond the key the initial verse is written in and they mostly stick to the standart diatonic progressions. i really wish there was more music that combined both the pop and classical qualities in one package. sometimes i compromise and listen to the beach boys or john fahey

jazz is better

What about both?
youtube.com/watch?v=KPL19IgsEHc

this but unironically

Rhapsody in Blue is god-tier
youtube.com/watch?v=ZNUui99aSNc
Not as good, but I like this one also.

>Ticheli

Get that shit outta here

Eh Ticheli is hit or miss for me, but I enjoy that one for the chaos and the overall fun of it. Certainly a fun play for any french horn, clarinet, trombone, or percussionist as well.

>i really wish there was more music that combined both the pop and classical qualities in one package
gotchu senpai

youtube.com/watch?v=7nVmFlSV1ok
youtube.com/watch?v=KeUTzCvoBEQ
youtube.com/watch?v=DUmq1cpcglQ
youtube.com/watch?v=JKkAA5FKk7A
youtube.com/watch?v=GpxCREPeo4c
youtube.com/watch?v=ILpCKQlDmhc
youtube.com/watch?v=O2KUTa6P6lM

classical music can be really rhythmic. its just the inherent treatment of rhythm in classical music is more elastic and secondary to form/dynamics/melody. unlike in rock and jazz, where the melody is slave to the rhythm.

developing an ear for both treatments of rhythm is difficult when you've exclusively been exposed to one your entire life due to the ubiquity of the drum beat in popular music.

>Steve Reich
>Classical

pick one

He absolutely is. How is he not? He's a minimalist classical composer.

I'm listening to Duel Of The Fates. Does that count?

minimalism is not classical

He is considered art music. If you're using the autist classical period definition then none of those pieces are from the Classical period.

minimalism is fucking awful, no exceptions, and should be kept separate from the classical canon

It absolutely is. Minimalism is a stream of modern classical music. Steve Reich himself attended the Julliard School and learned these things from academics. Hell, there are professors at my university who teach this shit.

What this guy said.

I like it. I also like Bach and Palestrina. I don't see an issue.

Classical doesn’t go well in the gym. It’s very relaxing and has a place in society but that place is not for bench pressing and squatting. This is where death metal comes in and definitely not the pop garbage that mainstream gyms play.

classical is a blanket term now jackass, no one uses it specifically for that designation. if you're referring explicitly to works from that period then you go and say 'classical period'.

no one is seriously arguing that minimalism and steve reich aren't a part of what we call classical music, it's just... they're so shitty that i'd rather not establish the association. it's insulting and goes against literally everything the old masters stood for.

>it's very relaxing
nice meme lad

thanks f a m, i'll check it out

Contemporary classical music is such a clusterfuck of post-modernist talentless filth that if you went to a new music concert, you'd come out sucking Reich's dick thinking he's the next Bach.

I totally agree that one must have reverence for the old masters and the common practice period, and I'm sure even Steve Reich does. I think you can still compose and innovate while respecting what happened before you.

Also, you must at least concede that Reich is talented and innovative musically. He thought of new forms and textures that no one came up with before, and that's commendable. Whether you like it or not is up to you, but I personally think it's very interesting music.

Post modern minimalism is not the continuation of the Western classical tradition.

It's not innovative to repeat the same shit over and over again. It's pretentious garbage and you know it is.

What is then? Harmony, form, structure? All these things have been completely dismantled since the start of the 20th century. Nevertheless the composers who did the dismantling are still considered classical.

There's a reason it's called the common practice period, because it's over.

That's a huge oversimplification. But you're entitled to your own opinion.

Because i don't know where to start :(

Ok everyone post where they truly first started, let's help this dude out
I started with Beethoven, Tchaikovsky and Stravinsky

The fact that Bach is baroque proves you wrong kiddo.

This is very low quality user.

>Classical doesn’t go well in the gym
yeah its designed to stimulate your brain and soul, not your muscles.

Mozart was the best classical composer PERIOD

youtube.com/watch?v=8mZMEVAlXm0

Not him but its mostly attention span. You need to actively listen, but its a skill that can be developed. Paying attention to a new piece to you that you kind of like is an investment that pays off though.

The good thing about classical music is that the canon is basically correct. There are millions of obscure things to check out for interest but really, the stuff people say is the best is the best.

i think classical is easier to get deep into if you play an instrument or have some other grounding in western musical theory

What does Sup Forums think of performance practices?

I'm not 100% on the HIP train, but I do like things like Beethoven symphonies at a sprightly tempo with smaller (historically accurate) forces short of autistic historical recreation - the Mackerras stuff for example. You can't go back to syrupy glossy rubbish after this.

just saw a period orchestra play beethoven and mozart, it was hella fun. love quatour mosaiques too. so yes, so far, sign me up.

it aged like shit

its still being made to this day...

It hasn't aged at all, beacuase it's timeless.

Renaissance vocal music sounds just as beautiful and flawless as when it was first written 500+ years ago

Baroque fugues are still some of the best written and Baroque Harmony is still incredibly advanced compared to anything that isn't romantic period, 20th century classical or jazz.

Classical is still the benchmark of class and form and is still used in films and dinnner parties and special events (as well as still performed at concerts all over the world)

Romantic period music is still used in films and documentaries and is still widely performed, and has lost very little of its emotional impact.

20th century classical still causes people to feel uncomfortable and inspires horror film scores to this day.