/patrician/ - Patrician Music Discussion Thread

This thread is a place for people who have done their time lurking, who have done their time droning Sup Forums taste, and have actually grown into having their own musical taste and discuss it with others.

As opposed to /daily/ this thread is not intended as tripfaggotry but instead to discuss any patrician music you are currently listening to or considering listening to.

Today's topic: With ECM's catalog now on Spotify, what have you listened to from their catalog that surprised you?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/7XdHgltVbHY
youtube.com/watch?v=d_z3KkZWE5k
rateyourmusic.com/artist/john_zorn)
youtube.com/watch?v=nmidIQ_p5vc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

For me it was this album by Markus Stockhausen. I always knew he was a Jazz player but had never gotten around to listening to his music since ECM coverage on rutracker and other websites is limited. I'm very surprised by how beautiful the music on this record is, along with Markus' tone.

Pretty much everything I've heard before from Vijay Iyer pretty much sucked but his new album is really good.

Fuck Vijay Iyer, soulless pooinloo trash

Yeah Far From Over is a lot more engaging and less...cerebral? I mean it's still very well written but definitely more tuneful.

>soulless
lol what music do you like?
[spoiler]im going to call it soulless[/spoiler]

Tripfagging but whatever. Seeing Laibach tomorrow and listening Opus Dei ATM. Breddy happy about it, and what makes it most patrician? I'm not resenting that my mom is with me
>Mom listening Laibach
Is there better stuff around?

Tell me about who Laibach is haha
What genre?

Tripping is fine I guess just don't expect anyone to care about personas or your history or anything

>Jazz

youtu.be/7XdHgltVbHY

? What's your point bingo bongo

It fucked me up to find "Mostly Coltrane" on Joe Lovano's page last night, I just bought that record and Mark Turner's "Lathe of Heaven" so I feel a little cheated.

been very much enjoying exuma recently.

not something i have ever really seen people discuss on Sup Forums. maybe this thread is the place.

pic related.

link related: youtube.com/watch?v=d_z3KkZWE5k

Top plen

I don't expect anyone to have an answer, but here goes anyway...

I really like John Surman's more free jazz and avant-garde playing - especially I like what he brings to John McLaughlin's Extrapolation, but also The Trio stuff from the early 70's.

Now, he has like 20 albums on ECM and is a sideman on at least a dozen more, but I haven't been really excited about anything I've heard from him so far - too folky or wussy almost ambient-y electronic stuff that I'm not really looking for. The first Miroslav Vitous Group album is closest to what I'm looking for in the ECM catalogue so far. Any recs?

I guess I'll throw in a little surprise - I was surprised by how much influenced by German 70's electronic music like Tangerine Dream or Klaus Schulze the opening track from Surman's The Amazing Adventures of Simon Simon was, it's a duo album with Jack DeJohnette on drums - I'm pretty sure I'd heard it before, but didn't remember it having that feel as strongly as it now does for me.

Did you buy them on CD?
Sarcasm?
I'm not much help since I'm more Classical than Jazz but that sounds like music right up my alley

definitely check him out if a mix of ECM-style classical music, electronics and saxophone improvisations pique your interest

I would enjoy his ECM albums a lot more if I wasn't searching for more playing like that he did before he got on ECM

I'm surprised, normally redditors are complaining by now

As a minor observation - anyone else think that we're actually living in a new golden age of good ECM?
Ranking the decades based on what I want to check out now that I easily can:

>70's
>10's
>80's
>00's
>90's

Thoughts?

I can dig that. Do you think it's partially due to wider music accessibility nowadays?

>PATRICIAN

ECM is on spotify, where? I've looked and I can't find shit

Love 70s ECM stuff

Can't go wrong here

What region are you from?

apparently it's slowly coming available by region - also the label search appears to update much later than albums being available, so try to look for individual albums by album name

artist credits are not always obvious, like you'll find the new Vijay Iyer on the Vijay Iyer Sextet - artist only and Conference of the Birds is only a "Dave Holland Quartet" album and not on the Dave Holland -artist page etc.

I've found most of the things I've been searching for today, but for example Paul Bley's Open, To Love isn't there yet - some sources say everything is becoming available, but you never know what "everything" really means, I guess

Well I mean compared to yesterday, a lot was added. Dave Holland, Vijay Iyer, Andras Schiff, Keith Jarrett, and other people got a lot more releases. It'll keep coming.

I think there are a couple of things going on
> just eyeballing it, I think ECM is just releasing more music than ever - about 50 albums a year now
> the North American roster seems really strong now - Vijay Iyer, Tim Berne, Avishai Cohen, Gary Peacock, John Abercrombie (RIP), Craig Taborn, David Virelles, Bill Frisell, Chris Potter and Ralph Towner have albums out on ECM this year - I don't think they've had this wide representation of interesting musicians in NA ever

That's true. And I did watch an interview where Eicher was asked about the shift to more NA artists and he said that it's always a back-and-forth. The times shifted in our favor I suppose

America, I only found a few new Keith albums added

There's a ton available for me on the East Coast of Burgerland

I've found some more since searching

But I don't have any new Pat Metheny.

Me either. Hopefully he isn't a holdout!
I had a "Selected Recordings" set from him though.

>spotify
jesus christ

The best streaming service, yes.

I wish John Zorn would stream his albums, I mean his output on Tzadik has been trash for the last few years (pick an ensemble then you get the same album, different title). I mean I doubt anyone would by his albums if they were able to be previewed first, but then he'd actually have to try again

Also have you heard Pat's Book of Angels album

what do you mean by "new Pat Metheny"? Metheny hasn't been an ECM artist since like '84

if you mean "new to Spotify" - I'm seeing pretty much everything from Bright Size Life to Rejoicing from his ECM stuff in Northern Europe right now (and compilations and that fairly recent Weber tribute and shit)

100% agreed - Tzadik has been blindsided much harder than ECM by streaming becoming the primary way of checking out new stuff for me

there was once a time in the late 90's when I was on a John Zorn mailing list and knew more about the downtown New York scene around him than any other jazz/improv/avant music, especially notable since I'm from Northern Europe, so I knew that shit better than the local scene - due to that I seeked Tzadik releases out from where I could - I knew the one store in town that stocked them regularly, local libraries had a bunch luckily and as soon as Soulseek became a thing, I could even download them.

But at that time, the whole history and tradition of jazz became in my reach and the Tzadik-scene didn't really feel that important any more.

Now I get maybe one Tzadik release per year and I don't even bother following them so much with so much other cool music around - definitely the one label where early Internet made them big because I got information better compared to others, but almost died for me now that there's no streaming.

They have nothing prior to First Circle on Spotify in NA.

I kinda feel you. I'm in Chicago (and was born in the mid 90s), and I used to love John and his 80s and 90s stuff still is solid. But I think that has kinda fallen off. I bought 3 CDs and downloaded the rest of his albums, but listening to his discography post 2005 (maybe) it does nothing. It'd be better to pick a few odd albums and then not delve deeper.

I guess it's just sad because it's kinda like disposable music compared to what he used to make. And I will say I'm not as gung ho about free improvisation (unless it has that punch you know or vibe) since learning about Jazz and Classical music from school. He also has covered so many genres but really hasn't added much new to them lately.

OK, territorial thing then, I've been listening to Bright Size Life and shit all day so it's available here - should be there shortly

I'd love to be more hip to the recent Tzadik stuff, but any of those guys rarely play live here in Europe, the CDs are hard to find and for physical copies I prefer vinyl anyway, so it's just gone off almost all my radars

I'm not sure it is more disposable, but it certainly feels less important now that it's not in any of the major channels I follow for new music.

When will ECM upload John Clark's "Faces" album to streaming services?

I'll have to keep an eye out of the Pat stuff then.

I meant disposable because like all the Gnostic Trio albums started becoming the same album, different title. Same thing with all the other side projects or ensembles. They are pretty good on their own, but when they have 5 or 6 albums of basically the same stuff it blends together and just feels disposable. (the links to the groups are here rateyourmusic.com/artist/john_zorn)

I know Newalbumreleases.net has some of the newer stuff, along side torrents. But I would say the only albums of recent I thought were kinda noteworthy were

>There Is No More Firmament
>The Interpretation of Dreams
>Commedia dell'arte
>The True Discoveries of Witches and Demons
>Sonic Rivers
>Fragmentations, Prayers and Interjections

there are others but again the different projects albums begin to blend together with the others for their respective project after a while.

Yeah, CD. Expensive CD's too. Fuck

>been addicted to ECM for over a year now
jesus christ help me lads

diluted New Age easy listening ECM """""jazz""""" schlock represents the very death of the genre. granted, they had some excellent releases in their heyday (Urban Bushmen, Conference of the Birds, Afternoon of a Georgia Faun)

their contemporary classical series is excellent, however, and redeems the label

I lowkey agree with you, from the bits I've heard, but I haven't heard enough to be able to voice that opinion you know. I don't feel educated enough or versed enough to say that. Which is why I'm glad to hear they are adding the albums so if I can rightfully hate nows the best time.

I hear what you're saying, although a single The Gnostic Trio track was lately the catalyst for me to realize that maybe I should be listening to more Tzadik :D

I happened to buy the album Testament of Solomon by The Gnostic Trio and holy shit, did I become fascinated with the track Kotlenu - like an inredibly Ennio Morricone-like dreamy fantasy track that could fuel all my dreams and just always appealed to me - holy shit, I've listened to that track hundreds of times in many contexts and it always works for me in getting to a certain frame of mind

youtube.com/watch?v=nmidIQ_p5vc

(fucking awesome track)

no person who is familiar with ECM's 2017 releases would say this

I also like this track, but what I was trying to convey is it's like once you hear all the Gnostic Trio albums you kinda pick up on that they're very much similar. Not like in a same but different or add. It's just kinda same sound, style and go with it. I meant disposible because they kinda feel like "Oh wanna do a new Simulacrum album" they get in a booth and basically just record everything in one take and don't do anything vastly different.

It's more the lack of variety or progression that's disposable. Also I feel you on the Ennio feeling, but the more I've heard from John the harder it is for me to really look at him as the genius or original I used to think. I don't really know how to explain but I think you'll understand the farther you delve in the records and once you hit maybe 50 records or so.

But again the songs on their own are fine, but the quantity hurts them. Kinda like what Buckethead is doing with his Pikes series.

well lets think about this.they didn't really push boundaries of jazz, it was more of a softer alternative to free jazz correct? This along with CTI's soul jazz style (I know they didn't invent it but at the time )

I think we're on the same page here

I still just occasionally being blown away by magical individual tracks that make forgive a lot of shit I'm not listening to.

But you probably have the right cue - in the 90's the Masada shit of mashing up Ornette Coleman and jewish music was novel and cool, all that grindcore & jazz stuff in whatever Zorn called it was call, the whole Great Jewish Music serious was great (I loved the Gainsbourg and Marc Bolan ones!)

But Zorn's magic finger hasn't found anything like Godard/Spillane - The Big Gundown never aged well as an album if you ask me...Spillane is fucking great - I love John Lurie's narration and everything.

Still, the music world is full of less interesting people so STREAM ZORN.

but ECM has given room for a lot of different styles?

past the fusion era, they've pretty much been the artistically most adventurous label holding any tradition torch - just rarely given the credit for this

Okay, yeah we probably are on the same page. That run in the late 80's to the late 90's was freaking great. I think one of my favorite, re-occurring compositions, is Kol Nidre. There's just some thing about it that just gets me.

Another solid post 90's record I think is Cartoon/S&M which is chamber music. I do like how he changed up the Ennio tunes you know, rather than just straight covers, but I'll agree it is an 80's album. Though I wonder if he just did a straight like hard/post bop tribute to Ennio if that would have aged better and turned out better overall. Like some songs don't feel as epic like Giu la testa. I think Spillane is my favorite of his records.

I think the guy () meant it more as it created "ECM Jazz" like the genre. While maybe down the road it has become more diverse there was way more interesting things going on than the music is housed. Plus couldn't you argue this was the original smooth jazz which would eventually birth Kenny G (further watering it down)

Suggestions for any other ECM records to check out from this year besides the Vijay Iyer?

Also if I can go a tiny bit off topic, any standout recordings of modern classical from this year? I haven't heard anything at all from this year.

Not the most patrician band but I like penguin cafe.

Even besides the one album everyone knows