youtube.com/watch?v=WzLBA5kCP1w
youtube.com/watch?v=ug95Rw9WF5w
youtube.com/watch?v=8bvjskXPdS0
youtube.com/watch?v=imj7FniRzyY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes

this

This

as opposed to what genre kids should not listen to?

this

Yes but not Miles Davis because he was a junkie hippie

No, it leads to drug use and premarital sex

yes please

yes, it's both creative and abstract so it leaves room for imagination and in case they like it and want to make music themselves it teaches important skills like initiative, creativity and interacting with others

What are some thoughts on Joey Alexander?

kid is obviously crazy talented and he's playing a lot of good tunes, I was pleasantly surprised by his new Monk album - I don't expect his composition chops to match his technical ability so if I had to guess what happens is that he releases an album of his own compositions in a couple of years and it's going to be a flop and then it's hard to say what happens

maybe some older artist will take him into his band and tutor an all around good jazz musician out of him - worked for Julian Lage with Gary Burton taking him under his wing, maybe he'll just end up being a studio musician or some talk show band member

I think it's very unlikely that he'll go from a child prodigy standard playing kid to a noteworthy musician playing his own music and I don't think you can just play standards for ever these days either

No, kids will not be able to fully understand and appreciate jazz. They will listen to it because they're told it makes them intelligent. Music fans are already in danger of becoming obnoxious hipsters that completely miss the point of music; there's no point in helping them along that path.

What if it's introduced as any other music by parents who left it on around the house on a radio? Jazz is still music, and not all of it is "complicated" or too "complex" to enjoy.

Do people actually need to understand the scales and jazz theories to fully appreciate jazz? I only know pentatonic and basic major/minor scales

the biggest problem with jazz is that there are many young jazz students and musicians who actually believe this and as a result often fail to separate the art from the craft

you get kids regularly listening to jazz from a young age and they'll have a much easier time understanding jazz going forward

these days you have to put in some effort to understand what the bebop cats were doing, but at the time they were riffing on compositions and patterns that everyone in the audience knew from popular music at the time

trap rap

you don't need to know the terminology or how to play something, but your ear has to be pretty familiar with the vocabulary so you can follow patterns and when patterns are broken and all that

to give a rock-example just on scales, you don't need to know what the fuck the dorian scale is to like the first The Doors album but both Break on Through and Light My Fire depend pretty heavily on the dorian sound and you could well argue that that was a pretty big factor in how that music was influential and felt new compared to early 60's and 50's rock music.

now jazz is more complicated because modulating and subverting expectations is more common whereas the "modal rock" of The Doors and Santana and Grateful Dead etc. was satisfied with just endlessly jamming on a static framework so audience could just tune out and not have to pay attention, but at the end of the day, I don't think you need to know the theory that deeply to be able to follow and enjoy jazz - you just need to intuitively grasp it which is much easier.

fpbp

I see

>Do people actually need to understand the scales and jazz theories to fully appreciate jazz?
To appreciate fully, perhaps yes. If you play an instrument used in jazz, you're already on that path. There are resources online which can help you and yes, it is possible to understand the music theory behind jazz. Music itself is often complex, but music theory isn't theoretical physics. Anyone could with varying degrees of time achieve a solid grasp of music theory behind many genres of music. You seem genuinely interested, so here are some very well done videos:
youtube.com/watch?v=65zrLQhWotw
youtube.com/watch?v=M33QU-5P7ic
youtube.com/watch?v=WzLBA5kCP1w
youtube.com/watch?v=ug95Rw9WF5w
youtube.com/watch?v=8bvjskXPdS0

Thanks! I was planning to learn more about jazz theories but I don't know which books to read or videos to watch

good videos my man

this, the best way to understand anything it exposure and watching. If your studying how to make a sitcom you watch a ton of sitcomes, pick up on the similarities and try to undestand what's going on. While theory will help, early exposure will be better because later in life when it's being explained it's more connecting the dots rather than new information.

but also
If you asking if you should play it for your kids, play a variety of music. Open up their palets. If they are partician they'll find their way back to the good, while shaving off the shit. Seriously,

as someone who is somewhat versed in the theory but far from being able to play jazz comfortably (or actually put in the hours to practice), I love and hate the Walk that Bass -guy

He nicely brings up cool concepts and ways of thinking to know and understand, but I always wish he would just play more examples of everything to really make it intuitive to my ear - I'd just like to hear it and not go to my piano since I just want to learn enough to listen, not to play. I get it that he is probably trying to give you that incentive to go to your piano after watching the video and all, but still annoying.

Someone whose educational videos I've been digging is Aimee Nolte - lots of nice and practical videos for learning stuff, here's one on figuring out chords from songs by ear I wish I'd heard when I was getting interested in this stuff: youtube.com/watch?v=imj7FniRzyY

Yes. Especially black American kids.