Why does WW2 not have any good "coping with life post-war" movies?

Why does WW2 not have any good "coping with life post-war" movies?

Are we to believe that the Allies came out of WW2 mentally sound?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best_Years_of_Our_Lives
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

People in WWII barely even fought each other, they just hid in bushes and shot over each other's heads for a few years.

That's what modern war is.

Germans and Japs definitely didn't

The only good movie on that theme is post-WWII, it's called The Best Years of Our Lives.

you're kidding right?

The Best Years of Our Lives was a huge hit and won Best Picture

Remember Sobel from BoB?

>In 1970, Sobel shot himself in the head with a small-caliber pistol. The bullet entered his left temple, passed behind his eyes, and exited out the other side of his head. This severed his optic nerves and left him blind. He was later moved to a VA assisted living facility in Waukegan, Illinois. Sobel resided there for his last seventeen years until his death due to malnutrition on September 30, 1987. No services were held for Sobel after his death.

Pathetic until the end

First Blood is good

That's exactly why I won't kill myself, if you fuck it up you really fuck it up.

No one has said the obvious yet? Men back then weren't pussies.

The WWII generation weren't a bunch of pussies like their offspring became.

Because WW2 wasn't Iraq or Afganistan.

The Master

-the majority believed in their cause i.e. liberating europe, to most americans, their motherland, from tyranny
-they didnt engage in the same kind of degeneracy as vietnam vets i.e. drugs
-participated in less war crimes
-they were treated a lot better by society when they got back

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best_Years_of_Our_Lives

this was quite good actually.

The Finnish government decriminalized heroin for Winter War vets.

After the war, vets couldn't just go home in a matter of hours. They had months to decompress before they got their discharge papers.

Allies were barely involved in that war. What PTSD or something interesting to watch they could have from it?

>You will shit bricks when you see it

Fuck you OP

From an American perspective:

The war was extremely popular and so they didn't face any hatred from people when they came back (Vietnam) or uncertainty about whether what they did was worth it (Iraqi Freedom etc.) There was no sense that they were pawns in some big game, and there was no ambiguity as to whether what they were doing was right. It was always clear they were on the side of good vs. evil.

They also came back to participate in one of the greatest economic booms in history, and probably really the only time in modern human civilization since money was invented where there was a prosperous middle class. They came back to a solid support structure with a good job, likely a good close-knit community, and presumably a good family.

Compare that to guys drafted for Nam who were washouts in life to begin with and came back to being spit on. Or guys who signed up after 9/11 who came back to a shit economy and no health care.

I don't know about other countries. I'm sure European veterans had trouble coping since their countries were leveled.

They fought a just war. A real war. Not some military conflict government shit.

Not WWII, but closest thing I can think off

Well, atleast the russians raped half germany on their way to Berlin. So theres that. I guess fucking some 20 german girls will give you some warm memories once youre back home to shitty vodka and weather.

>I'm sure European veterans had trouble coping since their countries were leveled.

My grandfather was forcibly drafted in to Waffen SS.
He deserted them shorly before the Soviets surrounded his unit. Since he knew 4 languages, he was forcibly drafted in to the Red Army.
Got shot in shoulder in March 1945, was discharged but he went thru it all.

I once asked him, how it was - when I was 6 years old or so. He was always a big man, kinda like me, +185 cm tall and just with big bones/mass. The sort of typical post-Army Chadface with a square jaw.

I could never have imagined that a man like him would cry. Not just sort of let out a tear but choke-cry. It happened about 5 minutes in to the story. He never finished it and he never even tried to tell me it all. He just could not do it.

All he said is that he had a family to feed and he did what was his duty - work, work and work.

>Allies were barely involved in that war

You know the Allies were more than just America.

>if you fuck it up you really fuck it up.
no one can fuck up shooting themselves in the heart

> attempt to shoot heart
> pick wrong side
> bullet severs spine
> paralyzed
hmmm, maybe you can...

For America/ Canada it took months to get discharged and weeks to get home

For Russia, Mainland Europe and UK, Everyone was kept busy rebuilding. Idle minds are dangerous for the traumatized

>I'm sure European veterans had trouble coping since their countries were leveled.

My grandpa had to move to Chile.

Ture. Still, brits were hiding on their island and France surrendered immediately.

Russians? You mean Soviets? Also they raped as much or even less gals than allies, mate. Also who did that - were punished for war crimes as well.
Soviet people sacrificed much more than anyone else and haven't got any credit for it. I blame government for this.

>Thinking his heart is not in the middle

You should really kys

Their grandchildren became the Nazis

>my grandfather was a big guy

>american education system

It happened after Vietnam War when the public got actual feed of what war is. THE DEER HUNTER, FIRST BLOOD and plenty of others show how traumatized the soldiers were.

It did not happen after WW2 because there was no such coverage for it.

I didn't mean it to come off that way - but he was. Just physically large and intimidating. Still was when he died (I was 19 or so).

plus some stayed over seas for work and settled abroad in europe

Band of Brothers literally has an episode dedicated to after the war ends.

>GIVE ME WELFARE MORE MORE I AM MENTALLY DISTURBED

veterans are the biggest babies

>jewish propaganda

Five Star Post, Rosenbaum.

Sup Forums, you're fucking retarded.

Half of all medical discharges from WWII were because of mental health severe PTSD.

You just don't hear about it because it was shameful back then.

Isn't this just a common trope in a bunch of other movies.

>t. dude who has never gone through hardship in his entire life

Nice b8 I guess.

Let me guess I also haven't gone through the hardship of being black

>BLACK LIVES MATTER

>Golly gee I want to serve my country!
Fast Forward 20 years
>What do you mean this theater doesn't have a vet discount, I fought for you in the war!
Everytime.

Americans really hate their veterans. When veteran suicides were at all time peak American media DID NOT make news of them, they were de facto told to STOP making news about them.

What a fucking nation.

Have you ever heard about soviets veterans, mate? Both governments - Soviet and Russian - didn't do shit for them, lots of them lived and died in poverty.

But the thing is American media tries to do way more propaganda about their good imago than Russians nowadays when they're just as bad.

Lel, nope. Russian government spends billions of dollars on internal and external propaganda while having really big troubles in economy and literally everywhere else. At least, USA gives good quality of life for their people.

>At least, USA gives good quality of life for their people.
u kid me right? USA is basically third world country, much like Russia

>tfw no WW2 equivalent of The Deer Hunter

Dude, you can just google what place USA and Russia have in quality of life list.

Too bad he was a pussy

This. Pacific fighters came back just as fucked up as Vietnam vets.

this. i am russian and this user is right.

fat neckbeard americans who love putin are in denial

Weird. Mine moved to Argentina.

How? He doesn't know where the heart is.

Because it wasn't fucking vietnam man. Back then most people came home, got to go to college, were regarded as heros, and banged out a bunch of kids in sex-starved 50s era hotties.

BYOOL is a little hokey tho.

The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit is good post-WWII.

Larisa Shepitko's Wings
The Small Back Room
The Best Years of Our Lives

Also, the last episode of The Pacific.

all of this and they also had TONS of women waiting for them to make babies