Anyone do HAM radio? Is this different from listening to a police scanner?

Anyone do HAM radio? Is this different from listening to a police scanner?

I've heard it's a fun hobby - can you tell me why exactly it is fun? Can I listen to police chases and learn where murders are occurring? Or perhaps listen in on governmental activities?

Suggest a good starter HAM unit.

Attached: HAM - Copy.jpg (1043x677, 260K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunking_Basics
radioreference.com/apps/db/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Good motherfucker! Do you use it???

Attached: e7Zrr.jpg (900x1281, 435K)

Amateur radio (also called ham radio) describes the use of radio frequency spectrum for purposes of non-commercial exchange of messages, wireless experimentation, self-training, private recreation, radiosport, contesting, and emergency communication. The term "amateur" is used to specify "a duly authorised person interested in radioelectric practice with a purely personal aim and without pecuniary interest;"[1] (either direct monetary or other similar reward) and to differentiate it from commercial broadcasting, public safety (such as police and fire), or professional two-way radio services (such as maritime, aviation, taxis, etc.).

The amateur radio service (amateur service and amateur-satellite service) is established by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) through the Radio Regulations. National governments regulate technical and operational characteristics of transmissions and issue individual stations licenses with an identifying call sign. Prospective amateur operators are tested for their understanding of key concepts in electronics and the host government's radio regulations. Radio amateurs use a variety of voice, text, image, and data communications modes and have access to frequency allocations throughout the RF spectrum to enable communication across a city, region, country, continent, the world, or even into space.

Amateur radio is officially represented and coordinated by the International Amateur Radio Union (IARU), which is organized in three regions and has as its members the national amateur radio societies which exist in most countries.

Attached: 15170833_1281840261889003_2401064261195423044_n.jpg (500x520, 47K)

If you join your local amateur radio club you can try to call other radio operator across the country with your radio equipment, then exchanging postcard and other gayshit.

Ham fag here.

Yeah. It's pretty tits.

That nigger's post pretty much sums it up.

It's kewl talking across oceans and stuff

I have a super high gain antenna that be used to bounce signals off the moon...moon bounce...it's a real thing look it up!

Some dudes even bounce signals off commets and stuff...I know that sounds crazy but it's true.

HF radio in general is pretty cool. Just google WEBSDR and you can see for yourself.

You might want to download a digital decoder lile Sorcerer...there is another hella good one that's free but I don't have my computer in front of me...

There is still some analog voice out there, but a lot of comm is going digital.

what do you actually do, talk to other people with radios?

and can i listen to police signals?

Yes...it's a little different. The traffic is way different.

Most HAM coms are just dudes shootin the shit.

HAM bands in the VHF and UHF range are from like 144-148, 220-222, and...I want to say like 400-444.

Really all public safety traffic in America is on the 150-157 range in more rural places and in the 700-900 range in the cities.

If you buy a straight up HAM radio you won't be able to follow such traffic without modifications.

If you want a good police scanner check out the Uniden BCD436 and go to radiorefference.com

Sorry for samefagging.

Yeah pretty much.

HAMs do a lot of cool stuff like disaster response and some even do pirate radio.

If you get repeater frequencies and a good...maybe 10 watt...radio and a good antenna there is, literally, no where in the US that you will be unable to talk to SOMEbody.

YEAH OP DO YOU USE GOOD

Attached: 1488057350427.gif (325x235, 1.59M)

Some HAMs work for the military under the MARS program as well.

Sorry...I meant 440-444!

It's actually HELLA easy to get a license!

It's a test and all the questions are a matter of public record.

You can just download the entire test bank with the answers...it's all totally legit with the FCC.

The rules are pretty strict and the FCC will fuck you up pretty hard for breaking them.

how is it fun if it is just two guys talking about nothing?

There has to be something more to it to make it interesting and a full and rewarding hobby??

wait, you need a license?

When I was a kid in the 80's I used to have lots of fun going on my uncles radio and lying to truckers about road closures

It's no different than talking on the phone with your friend.

Really I guess the fun comes in when you're doing like DX...looking to get a really far off contact. When I lived in Texas I regularly picked up ching chon niggers from Taiwan.

Also, building setups is cool...it can be expensive though.

Like I said...some dude's do legit disaster response and mil-com.

I mean...it's a hobby, m8. Some dudes spend hours a day painting figures for warhammer and shit. I like to talk on the radio to niggas across the world.

thanks for being responsive and for suggesting the Uniden unit - I'm looking at it now on Amazon. A bit expensive but maybe I'll go for it.

What do you build setups for? Cant you just get one good radio?

Yep. It's hella cheap and easy, though.

There are 3 different tiers as well. Each one grants more frequency allocation.

Man...never in my wildest sumbitchn dreams did I EVER think I'd be talking HAM radio on Sup Forums...

As far as a police scanner goes the radio itself will be good. I would suggest buying a antenna more dedicated ti what you plan on listening to.

I have an 800 mhz on mine to listen to Phase 2 trunking systems in my home town.

I know they are kind of expensive but I promise it will be worth it.

I can't even discribe to you some of the stuff I've heard...shootings, undercover drug deals, prostitution stings...

I thought I would take a break from traps and rekt videos for a few minutes.

What's your favorite model? Another user said a Uniden model, but I've heard a lot about a different Baofeng (don't remember model#)

>Phase 2 trunking systems
what is this? (im noob)

That was me too...samefagging...

Baofong makes HF/shortwave radios. The Uniden I was mentioning is for 50 mhz and above.

So really, it depends on what you are trying to hear.

Baofong makes good equipment for the price point.

user...TBH it just depends on how serious you wanna get with it.

my main thing to start is listening to police transmissions (murders, shootings, etc.)

Uniden BCD436HP would be best for that purpose to start?

wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunking_Basics

Kind of a long read...basically it is a way for cities to reduce the amount of frequencies they have to use.

Instead of having 50 departments...animal control, water and power, police, fire, ems...use 50 frequencies, a computer tells the radios to just go to one frequency in the bank of maybe 10 that isn't being used at the moment.

Phase 2 is a digital type where the voice channel has a bandwith of 6.25 mzh instead of 12.5.

Honestly m8...I think so. It can be a bit overwhelming to program one at first, but they come with a program that allows you tp use a computer to input the data.

Also...the scanner comes preprogrammed with the entire radiorefference data base...and it gets updated every Monday.

Just be patient and learn how to use it...I promise it will be worth your time!

thanks friend. i'll probably go ahead with it this week

The 436 also lets you record transmissions...

I have one of some nigga getting gut-shot, a home imvasio. Where the dad almost blew some dude away, and undercover sting where the cops were buying stolen guns, surveillance of niggas bout to get bossed on...hella cool stuff...

That's hella awesome m8! Like I mentioned though...be patient and learn how to use it...

I'd like to, but there's no good sources for beginners. It's all vague and shit, and I tried asking a local HAM chick about getting into it, and she fucking blew me off, like I was too fucking stupid to get into the hobby. Like bitch I'm a senior physics student, fucking teach me some shit I can learn in a week. HAM enthusiasts have forever been cunts to me because of that experience, but I don't want it to be... how do I fix this?

Attached: 2.png (334x427, 348K)

Go here to get started...you'll figure it out.

radioreference.com/apps/db/

That sucks to hear...

Honestly m8. If you snag a little 5 watt and get the freqs for a local repeater you can pick up pretty quick on like etiquette and stuff.

its all old fuckers that just bitch about being old, and like to talk over anybody who doesnt have $ 10K invested in there radio

fuck all those autistic boomers

im getting excited. i just watched a video review, and this unit has a ton of awesome features.

Yes it does!

Uniden is really good about firmware updates and stuff too.

I'm hella stoked for you user.

The only thing that might hang you up is if anyone you want to hear uses encryption...other than that you'll be GTG for, like, 90% of all public safety traffic in America!

Plus the FCC just mandated that all public safety go to P25...so no more bullshit NXDN and Opensky faggotry.

Yes

CQ

Attached: 1A08FB72-F601-449C-B533-B6B983CB613E.jpg (1280x1703, 365K)

CQ CQ CQ DE user

lol

That's tits.

I used to DX packet radio on 27mhz

Pirate

what does pirate mean?

Attached: billy.jpg (233x217, 9K)

>why, those have $0!!?

Attached: 9dit27aplsk23zkv202274000000.jpg (394x642, 25K)

Unlicensed