The central quality of the alien language is being able to experience the past, present...

The central quality of the alien language is being able to experience the past, present, and future all at once -- there is no looking back to the past or looking forward to the future, everything has happened and can be experienced non-linearly at once. Learning the language comes with adopting this quality and is the tool (mistranslated as "weapon") that the aliens are offering, in exchange for the humans' help 3000 years from then. This allows her to experience the future aftermath where the Chinese general tells her how she stopped the Chinese forces, and then use that information to stop the Chinese in the immediate moment. And even though she knows her husband will leave her and her daughter will die, she goes along with the relationship anyway because it is still worthwhile to experience all of it.

Life is about the journey, not the destination.

Hope that helps.

>abbot is in death process

I wish I knew how much time I would spend on Sup Forums.

Just because the language exist for the aliens to use doesn't mean a human magically gain powers. An ant cannot comprehend the concept of calculus anymore than humans can comprehend nonlinear time.

Wait, does this flick have Tralfmadorians?

Why would the heptapods make contact with the humans so early? 3000 years seems like a long time. Would humans even be able to remember the interaction 3000 years after the fact? I'm thinking the heptapods came 3000 years early so humans can have a chance to learn their language and utilize "the weapon", but this was never explained.

You should quote this instead you psuedointellectual autistic cringemagnet.

The MC clearly learned the language and acquired the ability to use "the weapon". She tries to teach other people through lectures and books in the visions of the future. The my question is whether anyone would even believe her and bother to learn a highly complex language.

>learn language
>can see into the future

YEAH OK

Well think about it, we couldn't comprehend anything about them now and in the history of time, Amy Adams is the one who solved the language translation and they needed her to do it so they went to humanity then. Kind of a lazy, always impossible to really explain excuse but it probably leads to humanity finally connected and creating a utopia with advanced technology that will be able to help the aliens when the time comes

The only thing holding this bullshit together was the 30 second reference to the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis.
Basically, understanding a language that is not restricted by the concept of linear time allows you to view the world in the same manner.
It's fucking stupid, I know.

>being able to experience the past, present, and future all at once
So everything that will happen is one giant present then.

This is all explained in the film and obvious upon first viewing

>learn African
>can ride a chikudu

>The only thing holding this bullshit together was the 30 second reference to the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis.

Real, real tenuous to use a hypothesis meant for languages of humans (eg beings of similar cognitive capacity) and apply it to two wildly different types of cognitive beings.

previous thread for any anons who want to read

jesus was 2000 years ago and that guy is still fuckin up civilization and he may not have even been real (very unlikely but it's a funny theory)

Literally everybody already knew the plot before the movie even came out.

Amy Adams's character had no character development at all

in the time singularity, character development is impossible

You are a liar, stop it

Max pls

A Mary Sue does not need character development.

>not seeing the budding romance

they literally say it multiple times, you can see the alien play-doh figure earlier on in the film, and she says "non zero sum game" right after hearing Ian say it

Just saw it, she deserves the ol' Oscar

She's already won it

It's science *fiction*, just go with it.

Besides, it's made very clear in the movie that experiencing time non-linearly is directly associated with learning the alien language.

>She's already won it

Along with my heart!

I didn't even realize it was Amy Adams until I was 60 minutes in. She looks so different with minimal makeup.

that nose is recognizable anywhere

There are physical letters written by Paul describing the actions and interactions of Jesus.

wtf im a believer now

now im a believer

is there a camrip out yet

so why did they bother coming to earth?

And if those aliens were so smart, why couldn't they put some effort into translating OUR language?

no concept of time tells them about time

DUDE LANGUAGE TRANCENDS TIME AND SPACE LMAO

because it was how things had to go, when you know the future you have no free will

also the aliens knew that we'd prefer to learn their language than they learn ours. You can see how the military freaks out about giving them information. The aliens are already in a position of power, might as well let the humans learn the alien language.

Also, if they put effort into learning our language, that halves the time we can spend learning their language, because we'd have to be teaching them.

To our knowledge it is impossible to learn a language unless you're able to communicate directly with a speaker, otherwise it's way too easy to misunderstand something. They can't just park in the Kuiper belt and learn English from radio waves.

How could anyone think Louise was a Mary Sue?

She was a female character done right. Is he saying that a woman having a doctorate in linguistics isn't possible for women? That's pretty problematic.

agreed i don't get his argument or care to really

I hate Max Landis, but he is right this time.

visions before the arrival

they aren't visions, the real "present" is when she experiences her daughter's death. She's just remembering all of the events of the movie simultaneously and then deciding it was worth it all to have had her daughter

What do you mean exactly, I don't follow?

They weren't visions. She's beginning to experience all of her life at once.

How?

bait

What did Amy Adams overcome throughout the plot?

She learner the aliens language but that didn't seem to be a problem at all. She's given god like super powers and then convinces a supposedly super aggressive Chinese general to not attack the aliens

The plot was very weak, the movie itself just seemed to be a crappy vehicle for a cool idea the writer had

I just got home from watching this. So glad there's a thread. I just wanted to say this was one of the best movies I've seen in awhile. I absolutely loved it.

It felt really fresh to me.

>doesn't mean a human magically gain powers
How fucking retarded are you?
The film quite clearly theorizes that the human brain has the innate capacity to perceive time non-linearly, it's just the sequential nature of our language that limits our own perception.

>I DON'T UNDERSTAND IT
>THEREFOR IT'S DUMB

Fuck off.

Yeah it had a silly core principle but that's nothing new in sci-fi movies.

>interstellar
>love transcends time and space

>cool idea the writer had

It was based on a short story. The short story made a lot more sense though, because the message relayed by the ayys was actually plans for a ship capable of FTL travel.

>interstellar
>love transcends time and space
Why does this trigger autists so hard?
She's not saying that love is a fucking physical, quantifiable thing (in fact that's her whole point), but merely that her love for that dude is drawing her towards that planet even though it shouldn't be.

Why so triggered? It made sense within the context of the story.

If it's a stupid notion were allowed to say it's a stupid notion

The people triggered by this never loved anybody but themselves.

>INTERSTELLAR WAS STUPID
>can only name a single line from the movie they disliked
Why does everyone quote this same line

I'm not triggered, I just said it's silly.

I haven't seen the movie in a while so I can't argue the point but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the implication.

LOVE TARS

>LOVE IS STUPID
How fedora do you have to be
The fucking movie is about a father that loves his daughter.

also I loved interstellar. Just because I didn't like one part of the movie doesn't mean i dislike it as a whole.

contrary to what most autists on this board believe an ending doesn't ruin a movie

it was the dumbest line by far.
What other line would we quote?

lines still come cheesy as fuck

Set quotes to 85%

Let's dial that down to 60%

so what do the aliens look like?

Kinda like squids

neat.jpg

hope a picture of them leaks

So are all the Sup Forumsacks going to dismiss this as (((globalist))) propaganda?

>Max Landis criticizing the writing in other people's movies

lyl

Do you think Abbott die from the bomb?

No, at best he lost his feet.

f

>ywn be tickle-tickle-tickled by Amy

why
even
LIVE

F

Also was all of this not immediately obvious to anyone??

The movie explains, in almost condescending detail, the entire puzzle.

f

No it doesn't. It doesn't explain what the 12-part formula was for. It doesn't explain how the Chinese general managed to time travel.

You have to assume or extrapolate lots of things. It doesn't explain EVERYthing.

>all those people talking about 'the weapon'
They literally meant their language

F

Why doesn't anyone understand that this movie is about information economics? Why are you wasting your time pondering over the feasibility of nonlinear time?

>information economics
nigger what?

Unbelievable lol. This kid writes nothing but B-tier garbage and when a movie comes out that gets universal critical acclaim he has to lash out because those same critics savaged his movies.

How is this dude as successful as he is? $3 million for his Bright script? Come on...

This isn't Esperanto, this is literally an alien language. No matter how complex was it, tons of people would want to learn it for the sheer novelty of it. Regardless of special powers.

Why did I feel so sad for him?

It's always sad when an innocent dies.

It means your human.

he knew his death was coming

>tfw ayylmaos landed in my rural backwater of the UK

It explained only enough for a bunch of autists to argue about over countless threads. Pretty successful plot, I'd say.

It wasn't so subtle about it. Even mentions game theory twice. The movie goes over the ramifications of players in a game with imperfect information, and by the end the problem is solved thanks to the acquisition of perfect information.

He...he didn't time travel. She was remembering the future, when she'd met him, when she called his phone.

you know what I mean: gained non-linear perception and therefore was able to influence events in the past from the future.

same thing.

12-part formula is the alien language

It's pretty much Space communist take humans god given free will for a false flag.

Or, once he learned how the alien language worked, he realised the only way she could have known and said what she did was if he had told her, so when he met her he made sure to do just that.

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

She's so old and gross though

china guy did seem confused though

perhaps but the film doesn't state this directly. The last we hear of it is Hawkeye's identification that there are 12 parts of it. After that it's not touched upon again.

Yes I'm just saying it's never explicitly stated how he managed to solve it. You just have to assume for yourself that the Chinese eventually figured it out.

"The weapon" is technically the ability to perceive time in a non-linear fashion which results from learning the language; it's not the language itself.

If you keep using that word in vain it'll lose all meaning. Amy Adams was extremely skilled in ONE field, which was her character's sole profession; characters are allowed to be competent, you know.