ITT: post an acclaimed album that you struggle to see the appeal of and other anons explain why its good

ITT: post an acclaimed album that you struggle to see the appeal of and other anons explain why its good

No I'm okay

it's actually not good just a meme that went to far

we have this thread on this album all the time

It's complex and takes a lot of listens, as you go through it, you start to separate each part of the composition as an independent piece of something bigger, and then you appreciate the song as a whole for the beauty it is. every song is incredibly calculated and wonderful because of that juxtaposition from what you hear it as for the first time

It had a pretty huge following pre the meme though

It's shit that people who don't understand music think is good because "it breaks all the rules of music" when it doesn't break any, it just sounds like garbage.

Wasn't really meant to be pic related, just used it because its so often brought up in these threads

I love post-hardcore and also enjoy some other hardcore, but I just found this to be pretty boring. Same with Rites of Spring. Absolutely love Fugazi, though.

I just don't really see whats so excellent about this album, especially as a dude weed kind of album

pic related

to be clear; I understand the appeal. Just not why is regarded so highly.

I like Sufjan Stevens, but I can't stand Illinois. All of the weird choirs and instrumentals are hard for me to stomach.

you probably listened to it too late. you should have listened to it while in high school as an angry and frustrated teenager

same

yay one of these threads again yaaaaaaaaaaay

>I like Sufjan Stevens, but I can't stand Illinois
Damn that's a #rare opinion you got there friend

It took me a while to enjoy this album, for me the tail end is where it really stands out, probably just don't listen to it in the context of his other stuff

I see the appeal, but can't really enjoy listening to it.

It's regarded highly due to the flow and rhymes that Nas was putting out and the beats that DJ Premier was making. Aside from that, I'd say it's very overrated.

It can be a bit overwraught at times, but the main appeal would be those weird choirs and instrumentals. Guess if you can't get into those elements, then the album just isn't for you (besides, Age of Adz is better).

These threads are definitely bottom 30% of trashy reposting on this board, hell of a lot better than grimes threads

I thought this at first too. I still don't think it's absolutely amazing, just went from "it's just ok" to "it's pretty good." All I really did was listen to it more, though. Some killer guitar work.

Thread seems shit, but I'll give it the old college try.

Sufjan was still maybe serious about his great concept of covering the states, he still knew a lot about Illinois - he was from the area and all that - so he needed to play big on the music.

He had big dreams of making albums of states he didn't yet know the stories of, but to make it work out - he had to play it big in general to be able to keep it up.

What I don't get is anyone being disappointed in any other way that Sufjan not even trying beyond two states he was familiar with.

Come on Feel The Illinoise! is an incredible work of hometown Indie music and I doubt other states could produce ones locally by themselves (and I wish they would try).

Obviously no one man could do it, but holy shit do I want to hear the best candidate do the same for all other states.

Don't have space here so I'll post my record in question in the next post
The complexity of the album lays in how the parts are put together which isn't conventional. Everything else like the harmonic progressions and approach to melody are about as standard blues stuff as it gets. But it works because everything else besides how it's all put together is so samey and simple or else it's just another jumbled mess.
It's far more raw, energetic, and hard hitting than anything Fugazi has ever made, but Fugazi's music is more complex comparatively so it appeals more to conventional takes on grooves and feels more rewarding from a cerebral perspective.
Nas' approach to flow in this album (more complex internal rhyming as opposed to the fast, fast, fast that was becoming the trend before this) and the whole "bunch of different producers on one album" are both monumental for the development of hip hop. Hell they are both tropes so common in hip hop ever since that it's probably hard to believe if you don't listen to early hip hop that things weren't always like that.
Often in the realm of stoner rock/metal, you got guys that are more focused on the songwriting aspects like say...Clutch or Sleep on Sleep's Holy Mountain, then you got stuff that focuses more on atmosphere rather than variation in songwriting like Electric Wizard on Dopethrone or Sleep on Dopesmoker. On Welcome To Sky Valley, Kyuss is kinda trying to do both, evoking the more atmospheric approach with mainly it's weird tone it has with how the guitars/bass aren't mixed the way they typically are in rock music, but it's still got a bunch of actual riffs rather than ridiculous amounts of repetition typical of the more atmospheric bands. Combine this with the fact that the package is still pretty accessible since it's nowhere near as heavy as the heaviest stuff in its genre and you get something that gets a lot of love from many people.

I'm not gonna make any friends by saying this but I fucking hate Duster. Slowcore is probably my favorite genre but something about them rubs me the wrong way. They have a lot more of a "slacker rock" vibe to me than other slowcore, and to me it seems to be rubbing my face in how lazily it is played and constructed.

oh also Pink Moon

really the main appeal for me is the songs really do have wonderful grooves, especially Ella Guru, they're off-kilter and weird but I think one just needs to loosen up and not take it too seriously
find this to be dull as dishwater, mostly because of the beats, but I don't really get most hip-hop

the worst thing about this album is that it didn't trigger other albums - amazing concept that lives on

Okay, so for the record I was thinking off it's Basic Channel's stuff. Hell, it's most techno in general for me. Techno, unlike house's grooves or trance's synth melodies, just doesn't have anything that appeals to me. I get that it's supposed to be this colder genre that has more metallic sounds or w/e to make it something that has a lot of attention to detail, but I don't see the appeal to listening to (admittedly interesting) rhythmic patterns of monotone metallic bell sounds or something like that over the stab chords of House or the complex building polyphony of Trance.

what's so good about this

They we're trying to create a mood, that of space and the stars. The music has a sorta child like whimsy to it juxtaposed to the rather dour lyrics. It's charming, to say the least.

.>literally tried so hard to get into this cowboy bs

has some inventive ideas. but ignore anyone who uses the term "maximalist"

Was gonna post this
Help me Sup Forums I'm a music n00b

For me, this is by far his best executed album. I feel his songwriting has been consistent throughout the years but production and arrangement-wise it is not done as tastefully and precise as this album

You realize that this album existed for 7 years before Richard Dawkins even invented the term "meme" and for decades before the Internet existed, right?

>thing existed before term was coined
>therefore thing cannot fall under that term

It's a perfect reflection on Kanye at the height of his popularity, something few pop artists fail to do. His lyrical ability and even production in some aspects are at their zenith.

you're an idiot seriously

I love Hollindaggain and HCTI but this doesn’t click