Do women ever convincingly become a character...

Do women ever convincingly become a character? I can't think of a movie I've ever seen with an actress where I wasn't completely aware that I was watching this actress play a character.

I didn't even realize it was Sam Neill in Wilderpeople until I came on here and saw people talking about him. I thought it was just some random NZ actor they picked up.

I was wondering how much this has to do with talent and how much it has to do with the fact that women in film never really undergo physical transformation. Outside of Charlize Theron I can't think of an actress who really underwent a change, through make-up and prosthetics or just physically through weight or anything else. Whereas a guy can grow/shape/cut a beard and gain or drop weight and look like a different person in a movie.

>Charlize Theron

You answered your own question retard.

>Outside of Charlize Theron
How's that 1st grade reading comprehension treating ya.

not to go full SJW here or anything, but women are usually cast for their looks and their name recognition. You're not going to spend the big bucks on having Scarlett Johansen or Jennifer Lawrence in your movie if the audience can't tell it's her and fap over how hot she is

It's also the case for most of the hot male actors too. Show me an example of Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, or George Clooney convincingly playing a character so you forget who the actor is. Doesn't happen for the same reason, the studios want their pretty face and famous name to get viewers

>One example means the question doesn't need to be asked

I want to see more examples of women actors who become their character and discuss whether it's largely physical or talent.

Ben Affleck is the Batman.

Gwyneth Paltrow?

Is that the kid from the NZ drug driving commercial

That's a good point actually. Matt Damon especially. Maybe I haven't seen enough of his films but I can't remember a single movie of his where he didn't look like Jason Bourne. Maybe a slightly different haircut depending on the fashion at the time.

I've literally never seen a Meryl Streep movie outside of August Osage County. Is she as amazing as the industry has made her out to be?

Me too, I had not fucking idead it was Sam Neil

I know she's a meme actress now but for the longest time I didn't realize Tilda Swinton was in half the shit I've seen her in. She especially blew my mind in Trainwreck when they had her just looking like a normal chick.

Halle Barry in Cloud Atlas. In one of the timelines she plays a kooky Korean technician
didn't realise it was her until the credits

>George Clooney

was also Batman.

Men are simply better at everything.

Good call

Just want to chime in and say that "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" was one of the best, most satisfying movies I've ever seen.

I couldn't recommend it more, especially if you enjoyed "What We Do in the Shadows" (same director).

Don't any of you read the cast?

She was amazing in Snowpiercer. Now that was a role transformation.

I generally try to go into a movie completely blind if possible. Only reason I even know what Hacksaw Ridge is about is because I showed the trailer to my sister to convince her to go.

I really appreciated the relatively happy ending. I just finished True Detective S2 yesterday and it annoyed the shit out of me how much of a pointless downer they had to make the ending.

I just hate this trend after the escapist camp of the 80s and somewhat the 90s of fiction needing to avoid a happy ending because muh realism.

It's a fictional story. It's okay to tell the one in a million happy ending. We see the ones who fail the odds in every day life, gives us the lucky ones.

S2's ending is what made it. The entire series is leading to that climax and there's really the feeling that their time is getting shorter and that they're being hunted

Totally agree.

It's just a fucking well-rounded movie. Theres a little bit of everything (joy,sadness,humor, danger, etc.) and it's all executed perfectly.

Super happy to see that more and more people are seeing it.

It just annoyed me that Kitsch, Farrell and Vaughn all died for stupid reasons. Which I get is the point, True Detective is very much about the folly of masculinity but it didn't sit with me any better.

Tbh I felt that way about Ben Affleck in gone girl. Even Tony mannerisms and expressions were so autistically directed by Fincher that the character became so unique and separate from the Ben Affleck persona

I always forget about that movie. My ex saw it without me and I got pissed and never watched it. Maybe that will be next.

>Tony
Tiny*

Johnny Depp gets a ton of flak from this board and the internet at large as some sort of backlash for how much of the spotlight he took up in the 2000s with his zany castings but I still think he completely becomes his characters better than most actors out there. And you might say that's easier when his roles are all over the top but man his animated work I think really shines.

Victor and Rango. Fully believe if the person didn't know any better and were asked to guess who that actor was they couldn't place Depp in either of these two. I admire that because typically when an actor goes from acting to voice acting they just use their default actor voice for whatever the character is e.g. All the Disney dubs of Ghibli films which, while not bad in the slightest, you can clearly place all the actors.

Cate Blanchett
Meryl Streep
Angelina Jolie

Tilda Swinton has had some impressive transformations.

How dare you forget about based Linda Hamilton. The transformation of her character from T1 to T2, physically and otherwise, is fucking impressive.

Based family even, her sister also got fit to be her stunt double

Yeah but then you compare her to Emila Clarke as Sarah Connor. Genuinely one of the laziest performances I can think of by anyone in any film. Obviously didnt even bother going to the gym or making any effort with her body at all for that film.

you need to lose your virginity my man.

You forgot to add Leo, nigga plays the same guy in every role. Didn't deserve the oscar

I think OP finally realized that women can't grow a beard.

I fucking keked because she apparently got "stronger" for her role in Terminator Genisys but she actually just gained weight. Only actor whose character I dislike in GOT. I hate her acting...or lack thereof

A lot of the older actresses can pull this off. Glen Close is pretty versatile. As much as I dislike Meryl Streep, her portrayal of Julia Childs was spot on.

OP you're just too young to remember when female actresses weren't hired to play themselves with a different name in movies. ScarJo is the worst offender right now. She plays every role as her self.

you forgot The Ninth Gate, everyone forgets Depp is the lead in there which to me shows he's very good at blending in.

Looks like a tranny Gaga in all three pics to me.