Last night I went to watch Julien Baker, don't even like pure singer-songwriters... Today I'm mentally fucked...

Last night I went to watch Julien Baker, don't even like pure singer-songwriters... Today I'm mentally fucked, sick and feel bad for the gall...

Any other artists that leave this kind of impression after a live show?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C9rHw-y26CQ
youtube.com/watch?v=iR7dLleJqVg
youtube.com/watch?v=ClBJ75G-RRY
youtube.com/watch?v=M0BEkcPr6pg
youtube.com/watch?v=t1eji1lclrk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

saw her live in berlin, was pretty mediocre desu. i want my 12€ back.

I was at a Dunkin Donuts this morning on my way to work to get me and the boys some coffee, when I saw a small woman with dark circles under her eyes getting short with one of the employees.

"I have ten Dunkin Donuts gift cards! TEN! Are you telling me none of these work?!"

"Ms. Baker please calm down, you're on your tenth cup of coffee this morning", said the server, visibly distressed and looking worried about the mental state that the customer was in.

As the people in line started yelling at the woman to step to the side, she told them to shut up and give her some Dunkin Donuts gift cards or she would stand there all day. She picked up a guitar that was leaning against the counter and shouted, "OKAY I WILL PLAY YOU ALL A SONG IF I CAN GET SOME COFFEE!"

We had to leave to get to work on time, but I swear I heard her say something like, "Is this because I'm a Christian?! Or is it because I'm gay?!" as we exited the building.

What a weird day, Sup Forums

? expand please

please leave /r/Sup Forums

I didn't really feel that much during her gig, ie. it's not like watching her is "fun" or anything, but she put in a lot of emotion and she came off rather...sad in general, ie. a fake "how are you" and like a small fake smile after the show. Lot's of girls hugged her and such but I wasn't really an uber fan before hand so I had like, half a minute of small talk with her.

I can get your sentiment though, you gotta kinda get into her choral vibe, I'm not really a singer songwriter person in general, but I don't think she'd fit with a band that much.

kekd

How do you mean?

Honestly, if I can see/talk with Mike Kinsella and watch Frances Quinlan I could probably die in peace.

You perfectly described every live girl fronted emo/indie act currently shilled by pitchfork. this is why completely sapping an arts community of masculinity doesn't work

I meant

Are you just joking or do you legitimately buy into this bullshit generalisation?

I mean, I felt like shit when I got home and today, it certainly left a mark on me. I don't feel like I wasted my money or something. It's just different than I expected feeling?

Well I mean, what did you expect? I don't mean to come off as condescending at all, but her music is sombre and simplistic. I would have expected that experience going to a Julien Baker concert.

Might go see her in Memphis next Friday. Ugh, I'll see how it goes.

i'm and though i've read your posts i still don't get why you would feel that way; just from being underwhelmed from a performance? do i take it to mean that you sensed that she was depressed? not trying to have a go or anything i'm just curious as i've never felt 'mentally fucked' or 'sick' after a show

It's not that I'm underwelmed, I feel touched by her person in a strange way, I feel some kind of sympathy with her being some kind of depressed person I couldn't actually ever hope to feel connected with.

Specifically @ I felt cold in my bed this morning and I couldn't really shake my thoughts of the gig. It wasn't really like the euphoric feeling of having a replay of a show of my fav band in my head, more like how it was impossible for me, a normal loser, to ever even think about being able to help a person like her. Like, I didn't get the "feels" because I could relate, more like I got them because I was incable of doing something against them? I've had my own fair share of depressive periods (and the only person that reeled me out was myself), but I kinda feel useless grasping this fact about another person.

I also didn't relisten to Sprained Ankle and Turn Out The Lights to let her show blow over me.

And I've paid more for waaaay worse shows, honestly.

Should I go alone? This friday

I guess it's worth it? I could hear her stompbox pedals squeek during the whole show and the capacity was around 250 persons.

Tennessee fag here. I remember seeing her band, Star Killers (later changed their name to Forester), play in some basement in Memphis years back.

My brother who lives in Memphis has met her a few times at different parties and he said she sucks. After talking to her for a while she got mad because she thought he was hitting on her, so she rudely told him she was a lesbian and walked off. He was pissed because she is pretty unattractive, and he is gay himself and was just trying to have a conversation.

i see what you mean user. sounds like you had a genuine moment of clarity and understanding of your place in the world. somewhat jealous of you but obviously if it makes you feel too upset don't over-process it

Let's take a look at some unique personalities good friends of this site over at Pitchfork really like, shall we?
youtube.com/watch?v=C9rHw-y26CQ
youtube.com/watch?v=iR7dLleJqVg
youtube.com/watch?v=ClBJ75G-RRY
youtube.com/watch?v=M0BEkcPr6pg
If you thought these were overwhelming, here's our talented young songwriter crying over landfill lyrics in an apparently successful attempt at a sales pitch:
youtube.com/watch?v=t1eji1lclrk

As in, it's so quiet you won't really be able to talk a lot.

She's not really standard issue hot but I wouldn't say she's unattractive, but I could understand her acting like that. She gave me the feeling she wasn't really much of a talker.

Also, why the fuck can't you Muricans like drink sociably? I've read interviews where she basically says she got completely shitfaced as a minor (happens here in Belgium as well), but to like go AA at your 18 or whatever is absurd. Did she never like find the right way to drink, or are you guys socially pressured to always get blackout drunk? I mean, I've never even had any blackouts and drink like 4 days a week?

i dont really understand what point you're trying to make, other than they're all female and all sad?
their music sounds nothing like each other and it's not like i couldnt pick out 3 depressed young male singers
im not even having a go at you here i just literally dont understand what point youre making

yeah i went to see her a couple of weeks ago and the crowd was just dead silent throughout, everyone seemed to be in awe of the performance she was putting on, the music is way more emotional live than on record

apparently she took loads of drugs as well, i'm pretty sure she's said that she'd managed to quit her drug addictions by the age of 18 which is just crazy

this
+ the last girls lyrics are incomparable to Juliens. Yes, imho people like Mike Kinsella and Frances Quinlan write better lyrics than Julien, but the last girl just writes thrash.

>other than they're all female and all sad?
By this you've almost confirmed that you're either underage or a target audience of these people. No adult could've swallowed these interviews without disgust, forget finding sincerity in any of them.
>their music sounds nothing like each other
Are you a fan of our beloved female artist of the decade by any chance? This wording is familiar and it has always led to the exact same inane conversation.

>the last girl just writes thrash
if you're implying that clairo isnt a trash lyricist as well then i think you need to re-evaluate

I only watched the last and the first interview, I have no clue how her music sounds. These genius lyric recaps should be for people with smart or completely incomprehensible lyrics, not some basic "I feel sad" songs.

It's weird, the insane anti-alcohol culture in a lot of America instills bad habits on kids (99% of who drink underage anyway), making them think it's a crazy way to get fucked up, instead of something to be enjoyed. Then you get shit like butt chugging, or malt drinks strong enough to kill the 16yo thots they're marketed to, because people are convinced that every time you drink alcohol is has to end with blacking out.
Like I'm sure teenagers will always do dumb shit but I never hear about Euro high schoolers dying regularly at parties because they shotgunned 4x4Lokos to impress Stacy

oh yeah because most popstars are completely sincere and honest about themselves all the time
some of the most popular Sup Forumscore is based on the lyricist pretending they're way more depressed than they are

>Are you a fan of our beloved female artist of the decade by any chance?
do you mean grimes? if so, then im not really a fan, and i avoid conversations about grimes on here like the plague because they're completely pointless so i dont know how similar they are to this one
but back to the point
julien baker is a vocalist usually supported by either a single guitar or a keyboard
clairo makes some kind of shitty chill-pop with instrumentals that sound like they were made on someones first day using fruity loops
and olivia obrien makes synth/dance pop sort of thing
so the last 2 dont really sound like julien baker musically

Why does she look like a real life initial d character?

I don't get what it has to do with masculinity? Pitchfork probably shills more male than female musicians currently and the men make music just as generic and lifeless as the women

She has one eye on the street?

>he thinks the male artists pitchfork shills make anything remotely masculine

You're taking the meme hook, like, and sinker. Instead of focusing on tangible attributes you're focusing on the most general things possible and framing them with "muh Pitchfork". Stop caring about Pitchfork. They aren't worth the time and effort you or anybody else puts into them.

Most people here in Belgium do stupid shit regarding to drinks but I only know 2 people that had to get their stomach pumped and neither are good friends (one was a girl at like 16 and one a complete idiot that wanted to prove himself in something frat like). None of my best friends has had to be carried home or shit.

>Kendrick
>King Krule
>Run the Jewels
>Swans
This has to be bait

>believing that every music scene in America isn't being intentionally de-masculinized and neutered daily with these painfully boring indie girl singer songwriters
You fell for the meme hook, line, and sinker

You just listed soyboy music engineered for soyboys, try again

Okay, break out some citations dog.

Oh, so it was bait.

My black friends are tired of Killer Mike at this point because he always posts guns and is condescending and sexist so this is outdated.

But Pitchfork still shills him and he's still pretty damn relevant.

Also I wouldn't call him sexist, but I will say I'm tired of the Run the Jewels shtick and did not enjoy Run the Jewels 3.

I think the logic there is that whenever a black woman challenges him he just calls them a bitch but idk. I've hated RTJ from the jump, rap albums for people that listen to less than 10 rap albums a year.

>tfw people ITT want to bang this uggo mouthbreather
Waifufagging has hit a new low

>oh yeah because most popstars are completely sincere and honest about themselves all the time
some of the most popular Sup Forumscore is based on the lyricist pretending they're way more depressed than they are
Exactly. How are you just know acknowledging the obvious satire in all of my replies until now? I would also agree on discouraging any discussion of Grimes as well. On the other point, while Julien may operate in a different genre, she isn't as far removed from the conventions as you present her to be. There are millions of indie rock, indie pop and emo bands which are in vein similar to each other. The pseudo-black soul diva vocals are a convention which the majority of modern especially female singer-songwriters attempt or want to escape. I would encourage you to expand your ear for singer-songwriter music, because there are much more competent and above all sincere musicians you haven't listened to.

Yeah a lot of these up and coming female musicians are crummy but I'd rather they succeed at vapid pop music than stay in the work force.
>inb4 Sup Forums boogeyman

No one in this thread except you has called her a waifu or has started posting a ridicoulus amount of photos of her like the Grimesfags.

Is Sarke good?

Looking like an actual real person =/= ugly

>the age old "w-were not waifufagging, we just e-enjoy her music!"
Who are you fooling?

Show me the posts ITT that are waifufagging.

>How are you just know acknowledging the obvious satire in all of my replies until now?
>haha yeah guys, i was totally pretending to be retarded on purpose the whole time

>There are millions of indie rock, indie pop and emo bands which are in vein similar to each other
i dont think anyone here has claimed that julien baker is revolutionary

>there are much more competent and above all sincere musicians you haven't listened to
>implying you know what music ive listened to

i can only assume you're still 'pretending' to be retarded

>reddit spacing
i can only assume you're still 'pretending' to be retarded

>haha yeah guys, i was totally pretending to be retarded on purpose the whole time
Yes, I couldn't imagine anyone being anything but serious with these statements:
>Let's take a look at some unique personalities good friends of this site over at Pitchfork really like, shall we?
>If you thought these were overwhelming, here's our talented young songwriter crying over landfill lyrics in an apparently successful attempt at a sales pitch
>i dont think anyone here has claimed that julien baker is revolutionary
Not that, although people have certainly over romanticized her.
>implying you know what music ive listened to
Where did I even imply that? How could I possibly know that? You like your flavor of the month indie pop singer-songwriter, that's fine. Don't over romanticize them to a ridiculous extent. I'm not . That's all.

>calling it reddit spacing when it's punctuated by green text
dont worry buddy, i know its only your first day here but youll understand the memes soon enough

just let people enjoy what they want to

>a blank line is a meme
No wonder this place is dying.

>>implying you know what music ive listened to
>Where did I even imply that?
you literally said, and i quote "there are much more competent and above all sincere musicians you haven't listened to" right here what is saying "that you havent't listened to" if not suggesting you know what i have and havent listened to?

referring to it as reddit spacing is undeniably a meme, and one that user misused.
for prosperity i'm not this guy btw

That isn't the point of this thread, neither was that the main point of my replies. Arguing about something like that is simply inane. I've said everything I really wanted to talk about in the last sentence of my previous post. Of course in the part you chose not to read.

>backtracking yet again
okay im happy to be done with this conversation now, speaking to you has lowered my iq enough already
everyone go and enjoy your julien baker thread and dont let the
>muh p4k is bad
>muh misogyny
>muh ur not as patrish as me
people shit on your music taste

Sup Forums is dead, i'm just pissing on it's corpses.

can we all take a moment to appreciate how adorably huge her mouth is?

never understood it with lesbians
is it okay to say you're attracted to them or is it homophobic?

She only does weird facial expressions and opens her mouth that wide when she is trying to hit her high notes.

So is anybody actually interested in talking about her music? Is the shitpost avalanche done?

I did enjoy her new album but I've come to realize minimal singer-songwriter music rarely translates well to a live setting. At worst both their instrumental skills and singing will suffer since it's impossible to both 100% at the same time, and at best you get an unnecessarily souped-up version of their songs whose initial beauty lied in its simplicity.
I dug Turn Out the Lights, I'd talk about it if you weren't the most cancerous namefag on this site.

Fair enough.

does anyone know whats on the back of her left hand? seems to be there in a lot of pictures
i saw julien live a couple of weeks ago and i thought she performed really well, it felt way more emotional than on record, her vocals were near perfect and she had the whole crowd in the palm of her hand
it probably helps that a lot of her instrumentals are quite simple though
also, i really like turn out the lights but i think i prefer sprained ankle, for me it has much better replay value

>So is anybody actually interested in talking about her music?
There's not really much to talk about,bud

just because they are lesbians doesnt make them physically less atrractive. Mentally maybe

I looked at her hand yesterday when I said like 5 sentences to her and it looked like some sharpie text honestly. Wouldn't be surprised if it was some tattoo idea. Or some thing she can't manage to forget. Or a joke.

I though TOTL worked better because of the more fleshed-out instrumentation. It wasn't enouugh to take away from the intimate singer-songwriter feel, but it spruced up the sound a bit; Sprained Ankle felt more like a demo than a real album, because of how minimal it was. IMO you need at least a little bit more than piano and vocals every track, it gets monotonous otherwise.
Thought she'd really improved as a vocalist too. The high notes were great, and she has great control of her voice that she never really got to show off with Sprained Ankle. Kind of mad I didn't see her when she was in my town.

i do see your point but for me her lyrics were enough to keep me interested on sprained ankle, and i dont think they were as good on TOTL, i feel like because she knew it was going out to a bigger audience she tried a lot harder to be deep and meaningful and some of it felt a bit forced to me
thats coming at it from entirely a lyrical standpoint though, i definitely agree that TOTL was a lot more ambitious and better vocally
hopefully next time she'll be a bit more comfortable with the big platform her music has and will manage to balance the two

That was my biggest complaint too, some of the self-pitying lyrics got to the point of absurd

i generally liked the ideas and messages of the songs but i agree some of it was just too far
that stuff about not wearing a seatbelt really grinded on me for some reason

How'd y'all feel about "Funeral Pyre"? It's honestly one of my favourite songs this year so far.

Apparently she was a really edgy kid, probably has to do something with it. My niece also had a similiar problem, being edgy but trying to turn into a saint when becoming an adult and clamping on some altered form of Christian faith.

Who else can't wait for the new Hop Along? Tangently related.

i really like it, thinking about it that song is probably the middle ground between the two records i was looking for here
i think it's definitely better than a lot of her album tracks and one of her best performances lyrically imo
yeah i can definitely see that, and she is still quite young to be fair, she'll probably mature as a lyricist

>muh p4k is bad
>muh misogyny
>muh ur not as patrish as me
If the only think you can pretend you have gotten from my replies is the equivalent of "muh superior taste" and similar nonsense, that's saying something about you, not me. I've only tried to tell you that singer-songwriters without a gimmick still exist. I never even attempted to insult you. But no, it's all about "muh superior music taste is the best".

ITT: numales galore

trips confirm

Yeah, the shit most lyricists were writing at that age is embarrassing garbage, she'll be fine.

i like how the thread died because no one could argue with the trips

I'm OP and waiting for someone to say something I can respond to. Like a comparison or a hunkering to related artist. I'm not gonna debate someone about a non-existant trend on a site I don't frequent.

how much do you think julien exaggerates her drug problems in her lyrics and interviews? if we take everything she says at face value we're left believing she was taking heroin at 16 or some shit
i know its not about her music im just curious

it could be like this (if she confirmed it I would believe her) but I think she just got on a teenage weed psychadelics and booze trip. Which is still enough to fuck your high school years. Apparently she only recently (ie. between Sprained Ankle and right now) got rid of her smoking habit. I heard she got the semi-straight edge inspiration from all age shows. Lemme tell you, here in Yurop, everyone can watch and drink whatever they like (less they are underage, but they can enter without black crosses). Maybe it's cool that this generates some kind of scene in the US though (because underage can watch and get inspired. Here, the people who watch don't give a fuck and leave after their friends have played their songs).

very nice

I want to watch her and Ellen Page hook up

I think the ends justifies the means there.

I disagree but hey i don't have trips