Anybody ever manage to actually get this fucker out and win a match? Been trying for years...

Anybody ever manage to actually get this fucker out and win a match? Been trying for years. Not that it's a particularly strategic card, but it's the motherfuking Polar Kraken.

Attached: Polar Kraken.jpg (300x300, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

coolstuffinc.com/p/Magic: The Gathering/Upwelling?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o1&scid=scplp1557109&sc_intid=1557109&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7Z3VBRC-ARIsAEQifZSVBwBjitxjRVFUL5SSo1yFfFSRrg4mB_hXBRy8uYhALlRtBY3lbHYaAu5HEALw_wcB
twitter.com/AnonBabble

fag.

play green blue with untamed wilds

Brilliant, thanks man.

This was the card all the retards fawned about in middle school. Because it was big. Never mind it's basically useless. Remember one really dumb kid walking down the halls asking anyone he saw, 'do you have a polar krakus?' Couldn't even say the name right...

Why the fuck do you want to play this? Burn 11 mana just to get it countered or removed from play. What a waste when you can win easily with 6-7 mana cost cards

10 year olds that only look at power and ignore literally everything else.

I remember opening island fish jasconius and my bro opened leviathan. I was happy with my giant awful creature but jealous of my bros even gianter creature. None of these cards have ever been used.

Any thing is with cumulative upkeep belongs in the trash.

Look for a 15/15 worm. It has the same cost, and it doesn't really die. It is green, but it will win much harder than that blue abomination.

Rofl, ice age had endless bad cards. For so,e reason they stuck cumulative upkeep on many of these already bad cards.

I can understand people quiting when revised, chronicles, homelands, fallen empires, the dark, ice age, 4th were the sets for some time. Almost all of it is still worthless garbage. Luckily I started during revised and the dark so I didn't know what I'd missed.

Enter the infinite costs one blue more but let's you draw your entire deck. Shows how poorly costed the old Timmy creatures were.

There are several ways to cheat big hitters into play, like elvish piper. Basically look at any progenitus/emrakul deck, or use channel.

It's just that in the formats where these cards are legal to use, you're still going to get your ass handed to you 90% of a time with a cumulative upkeep like that and no hexproof/protection.

You could probably cast EVERY Jace planeswalker with that mana

Best chance is to pitch it to force of will.

Sure you can show and tell or sneak attack it in, but it's tapped regardless of having haste. Then it just gets o-ringed or swords, or ignored, as 11 trample won't even kill.

Hey, an actual use! Some of the shit that deals damage equal to cmc also could do it. Still better options, but I like your thinking.

>Been trying for years. Not that it's a particularly strategic card, but it's the motherfuking Polar Kraken.
Have you tried High Tide plus untap tricks (Frantich Search, Cloud of Faeries, etc)?

>implying mtg didn't go to shit after that time

Could play blue green and channel it mostly out. As always there are a thousand better things to do with that set up, but if you really want to.

Alternatively, suspend with jhoira or reanimate. OP's goal is to just win, reanimating big hitters is a solid strategy in a lot of formats, though I can't say for sure it will work without mana screw/flood or against someone that's trying to pull off something similar, ironing out a deck etc.
At least a reanimate deck isn't punished *as* hard by (nonwhite) removal.

>ignored
It has trample, so it does put your opponent on a clock in most circumstances (assuming you put it out by turn 3-4).
An easily shattered clock, but hey.

That was it's first time going to shit. Up till then was alpha beta unlimited, Arabian nights, antiquities, legends. Sure some garbage was in there, but power and it's cousins were around and it was collectible until it was mostly reprinted.

I've drafted everything since revised and the dark and from alliances on, the worst sets were prophecy, cock block, battle for zendikar, 5th-9th edition. Future sight was an interesting set, but might as well have been drafting unglued.

Future sight was a treasure trove.
But it also gave us bridge from below.

There are ways to do it sure, but unless your opponent is similarly handicapped you will lose.

I used to do that with my brothers, we'd pick some awful cards and make a deck that can win, however badly. Then have a tournament with the shit decks. Kinda fun cause it's lots of thinking and you get to use otherwise useless cards sitting around.

I unfondly remember opening many steam flogger bosses while others got tarmogoyyfs and useful cards.

>Channel it mostly out
Now you're talking about UUUGG, which is still a tough mana cost to pay. If you're going to play it in a multicolor deck, you might as well just use a UB deck with Reanimate effects.

If I stuck with mono U, I'd go with High Tide plus untap tricks. Or Dream Halls. Or Show and Tell. Of course, any of those could give you many better options, as you rightly point out.

Jhoira is one of my favorite cards. Flavor and use, she is great.

I was playing blue / red and using those counter lands from that set that came right before or right after Ice Age. You toss them out, and then just let them build more and more mana. I used him ONCE, hitting for 11, then cast a Fling, doing another 11 to my opponent for 2 mana. Good times. I'm trying to remember the name of that set without googling it. Fallen Empires, I think.

>I'm trying to remember the name of that set without googling it. Fallen Empires, I think.
Correct. Those lands were later reprinted with different names in Mercadian Masques, so that also works.

my bestie and i played an "Iron Man Match" once with 900 card decks and 200 life each to start. I hit him with a 250 ish point fireball thanks to those counter lands. We played on the entire kitchen floor, knowing the table would never hold the chaos. I made him shuffle his deck four times :)

Why? It's such a shitty card.

Why untamed wilds when you could use kodama's reach?

Best troll card if you can ever get it to be played.

Attached: InfernoTempest-EP1-EN-C-UE.png (400x580, 596K)

Fling is a decent way. Sneakattack or show and tell then fling ftw if life is low.

Anyone have good R34

Fuck yeah iron man.

I've been playing iron man once a year since 96. It's great because all sorts of shit cards suddenly have a use.

Did you read the inquest too?

I'd love to play some decks that are nothing but:
- cards that punish you for even existing (kamigawa onis, cumulative upkeep etc.)
- rng-ish cards (magus of the jar, braids, molten psyche etc.)
- somewhat complicated cards (not quite sheherazad tier but like, animate dead, diabolic servitude, that one nephilim, shapeshifter's marrow, eye of the storm)
- no vanillas, overcosted removal, lots of morph creatures because why not
- stuff literally nobody should ever play like one with nothing

I bought the theme deck way back when, it was the most kick-ass and flavourful out of the future sight ones, because of suspend's synergy with storm it worked right out of the box (when playing against others with theme decks that are usually even clunkier).

>2018
>not using a full play set of blighted agents

Attached: 39492_200w.jpg (200x285, 28K)

Same here, though I have a suspicion the clerk was using an algorithm to set aside the useful boosters from the display for his personal profit.

I played eye of the storm in a 4way iron man game and it had 20 instants sitting under it including a card that let me draw based on storm and a counters Pell that drew cards equal to something like storm.

The turn took hours and my hand had over 1000 cards. I Fucking love ironman

Fuck off. Braid of Fire is good. Phyrexian Etchings is good.

Who the fuck plays counters in casual?

I havent played for a while but fuck that used to be frowned upon.

I opened 2 boxes with my bros. We got no golf's but 5 steamfloggers. At least there was a bunch of other good stuff in the set.

just put it in a sneak and show shell

He was referring to the ice age era where none were remotely good.

I arcane denialed my own spell once to draw three cards.

Overly complicated nonsense

Pandemonium
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
Polar Kraken

>put polar krakus into play with sneak
>polar xomes into play with haste
> also comes into play tapped
> is dead at end of turn

Back in the day braid of fire was a double edged sword because of mana burn. So was etchings.

Why would you want that anyways? there are way too many downsides for it.

Just throw in the sneak and show and the 4 card combo will do it...

I really hope you had a spellbook or something in that 'deck' m8

Now that's just BS. Hope you got a bridge or something at least.

I kinda miss that. Added another edge to the game.

Ironman by definition is one of every card ever printed and a bunch of basic lands.

So spellbook was in there. I was able to win in the same turn with the 1000 in my hand so it didn't matter.

I didnt, as a new player right before they got rid of mana burn i fucking hated it.

I think that was the main reason it was removed, just another complication for new players. It usually just had some niggling effects that weren't worth the problems with newbies.

It was good flavor and required more skill too, but I'm okay with it gone.

coolstuffinc.com/p/Magic: The Gathering/Upwelling?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o1&scid=scplp1557109&sc_intid=1557109&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7Z3VBRC-ARIsAEQifZSVBwBjitxjRVFUL5SSo1yFfFSRrg4mB_hXBRy8uYhALlRtBY3lbHYaAu5HEALw_wcB

braid of fire + upwelling = hysterical ramp.

use it in my vela the nightclad ninja edh deck, ninjutsu that guy back when he goes unblocked and poof its a ninja, flicker, etb effects, unblockable shenans

Toss this in also

Attached: wergwserg.jpg (223x310, 28K)

My fav combo add in mercy killing or another sac outlit for damage.

Attached: devoted-druid_and_quillspike.jpg (400x253, 20K)

add hapatra visier of poisons and get a million snakes as well.

This would be a pretty funny deck but kind of slow for modern.

Hapatra makes a great commander, black and green have all the good -1/-1 stuff

Polar kraken was so fucking stupid. I quit MTG when I got this card buying a booster set. At first I was all like "wooo yay got a high powered card for once" look at cast cost and upkeep, fucking worth less then the paper it's printed on.

No, because one deck reigns supreme above all others:

20 swamps.
20 relentless rats.

The end.

I was a stupid kid when I opened that card, but I similarly saw it sucked. I then traded it to an even stupider kid fo who knows what. Whatever I got, I ripped him off in the trade.

>20 relentless rats
Only 4 of the same type of card per deck besides lands dumbfag.

Acorn harvest, Squirrel Nest, and Gigantic Growth. Ganks a bitch in a hurry if your looking for raw power for cheap.

you need to read relentless rats before calling someone a dumbfag, newfriend

inb4 this kid gets pooper plowed

RTFC before you type the dumbest fucking shit possible, jesus christ. it'd take you 2 seconds in gatherer.

Ahh, this is the kind of retarded player that would main deck a polar krakus. Wait, let me fix that, FOUR polar krakuses.

I do.

Don't be too hard on him, probably doesn't know how to read.

Mana Burn was dropped because of the newer printed cards that let players control their opponent's turns and force burn losses in a competitive environment. I forgot the card, it was only 1 of them that actually worked with the rules at the time.

Practically all the cards from that era sucked. I get they were probably trying to make most water monsters sets kind of lame to balance out how great the mage spells were but all the modern cards shit over everything so bad in comparison

Rofl, mindslaver channel death. I might relegalze it in my edh group, just to,see what happens.

Doesn't know about relentless rat

The power level in general was way below anything the past 15 or 20 years have put out. Creatures and combat phase were the main ways to win. Usually brute force with some bits of removal, counters, whatever. The games were pretty long and slow.

Eh blue sets use to get bitched about a lot because of discard and other control spells. I always seemed to get good blue spells, once in a while a blue creature (usually pretty bad like island walk that can only attack if they have islands too) then good black spells few black creatures. Red spells no red creatures. Really low level white creatures, couple of white spells. Green creatures that seemed decent compared to everything else, no green spells. Wasn't much point in keeping at it since it was a bit more difficult to a decent set going with cards before the internet was a big thing. I use to hate those multi-mana creature cards would get so many of those worthless things that needed 3 or mana sources. I started collecting artifacts and artifact creatures for a while to make up for it but wasn't worth the hassle after a while.

How is this card not banned?

Attached: planeswalkers-fury-14817-medium.jpg (277x401, 62K)

Its shit

it has the potential to be amazing but its a high risk / high reward scenario, on one hand you could blast someone with like 6-10 damage, on the other a 0 drop could be revealed and nothing happens

unlike your shitty play group, most magic players don't build larger than 60 card decks out of nothing but lands and 8 drops

I know of several who have sizable cards in their decks, they just tend to cheat them in fairly quick with silly cards (I'm not the guy you just replied to, btw)

Because just about every plainswalker card is over powered as fuck compared to everything else.

my main deck is white weenie, modern legal, turn 4-6 win combo

also this is a turn two drop if you play a sol ring

It doesnt do anything turn of and you have to use your 4th turn as well. Isnt instant speed, requires for your oopenent to have a hand, requires your oppenent to have a hand that isnt filled with lands, and its random select.

Mitch used to love this beast,

I made a great 5turn zendikar that spwned out 20 tokens and gave me the huge beast or whatever it was called for a win.

I also loved the 5 Mana element warrior, 8/8 for all 5 was easy with artifacts and dual lands.

won the game turn five when my opponent revealed this twat

Attached: dinofuker.png (223x311, 126K)

Yes you can win the game with a shit card. Still a shit card. By turn four i would have regisaur alphaed you in the face 2 times before you got that shit off.

come at me bro

Attached: over9000.jpg (226x311, 26K)

If you have sol ring, there are plenty of better options to ramp into.

That card is 5RR to have a chance at doing anything. For 3RR I can sneak out griselbrand or Emrakul or plenty of heavy hitters.

Denizen of the Deep is a better blue 11/11.

My ripjaw raptor savage stomps it then attacks.

Attached: Savage Stomp_XLN.jpg (488x680, 137K)

dies to removal

can be countered

Explains why noone likes my grixis deck.

High Tide, Palinchron, Zedru the Great Hearted.

Play that stupid fucking card and give it to your opponent then they can sacrifice their own lands? Oh wait....

No...that card is just useless. Burn it.

Sorry. I only black lotus into channel fireball.

Countered in a black deck (inb4 black blue)

Donating bad cards is a fun theme on its own, but yeah they will just not pay the upkeep obviously... It cant even be bad good