Nihilism

So unless you're religious, there is no set purpose in life.

What this logically implies is that what one chooses to do with their life cannot be said to be better/worse with what another does with theirs (so long as they are not infringing on the rights of others). For example, living the traditional lifestyle or "american dream" of getting married, having kids, and getting the white picket-fence can't be said to better than the hippie who lives on the road. The "traditional" lifestyle is a societal norm based entirely on human constructs and nothing else. No set, objective criteria exists to compare these two rationally without bias. And so, what is the purpose of living? Is to enjoy the most of it? However "degenerate" that may be? Or is it based on how much we accomplish - how much we contribute to society? Or perhaps it's only based on the relationships we make and the impact we have on other humans?

And perhaps this provides the most significant basis and reason for religion. Religion provides a path; it tells you how you ought to live, which for many, is too compelling of an idea to let go. Knowing how you "ought" to live can make tremendously easier and provide you with the spiritual relief you may need to get through the day.

/rant

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=A8x73UW8Hjk
youtube.com/watch?v=_RfUj09pWfM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i think you need to understand Nihilism better and im to lazy to explain it
/burger

Empty words without a point.

Do you have an argument there or are you just trying to impress us?

Whatever arbitrary term you want to coin it, that's not the point of the post.

youtube.com/watch?v=A8x73UW8Hjk

Rule 1.

Don't be a cunt.
that is all.

>So unless you're religious, there is no set purpose in life.

Same as if you are religious. "Serve God" is not a "purpose," unless you can figure out what Glenn Beck, Ted Cruz, Schlomo Bergstein, Osama bin Laden, Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, etc. etc. and every other jew, muslim, christian, mormon, JW, etc. all had in common.

>can't be said to better than the hippie who lives on the road.

With or without religion, it changes nothing.

>The "traditional" lifestyle is a societal norm based entirely on human constructs and nothing else. No set, objective criteria exists to compare these two rationally without bias.

Yep. With or without religion, it changes nothing.

>Religion provides a path; it tells you how you ought to live, which for many, is too compelling of an idea to let go. Knowing how you "ought" to live can make tremendously easier and provide you with the spiritual relief you may need to get through the day.

Glad we have religion, or else Schlomo Shekelburg, Glenn Beck, Ted Cruz, Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, Achmed, etc. etc. wouldn't all have faith telling them to live their life in a uniform fashion.

Nihilism and atheism are two wholly separate beasts.

Its pathetic that you need to believe in fairy tales to have a decent life.

Welcome to a constructivist worldview, hope you enjoy the ride.

>So unless you're religious, there is no set purpose in life.
Unless you believe in teleology the concept of "purpose" is nonsense. It's not that there is or isn't a purpose, it's that the concept itself is gibberish.

>What this logically implies is that what one chooses to do with their life cannot be said to be better/worse with what another does with theirs

This is not a logical conclusion, it's your feelings. You wrote a giant emotional rant.

But there's no talking snake in a magic garden, and Christians have low IQ's! Fucking white trash rednecks. I'm a revolutionary communist who supports the working class, but I hate religion!

yeah, whatever

I was going to lead into how this why I am mostly libertarian socially. In that, I could give a fuck what skin color you have, who you choose to marry, or what you choose to do to your body. As far as I'm concerned, these things have zero impact on my life or what I hold dear. Any meaning we attached to these things is completely arbitrary and without objective rationale. Only thing I'm not for is abortion, since at the point, you're infringing on the rights of another human.

I thought that'd trigger Sup Forums too hard, so I left it from the original post.

My only argument would be why don't you share the same view as me?

Ride the Tiger

if nothing matters then why do you even bother saying it, faggot?

Probably because we don't care about preaching to strangers about how virtuous, tolerance and not rayciss we are?

>This is not a logical conclusion.

Ok, explain why and provide a counterargument.

Otherwise, what you wrote here is moot.

Men and Woman that need a book to tell them how to be a good human being and find hope are scum, they're damaged from the start. A good man does not stop when someone tells them not to do something, nor are they capable of stopping at the no of a deed. Their nature demands it. This is what makes a good person. Religion is what inspired the worst killings and mass genocide within the world. Fighting over something that can't even be proven vs just living well with empathy. Religion of any type is a plague, real spirituality is personal and can't be transmitted, because direct experience though individual subjective perception is the only quantifiable factor.

Because the well being of my person is also dependent on the system built around me. A nihilistic outlook of "Fuck it, i only matter" will damage the system, and lead to a degredation of my life quality, and that of my offspring.

I am not against immigration because i hate foreigners, i am because our system can only assimilate so little of them at a time to the common culture.

I am against degeneracy because in destroying the cultural boundaries and limits set forth, the system becomes less functional and productive more and more.

I am a nihilist too, but i can see beyond the moment on how my personal happiness can be sustained.

preach

youtube.com/watch?v=_RfUj09pWfM

So, if you are good or not does not depend on the society, but only on some inherent traits?

Hmm... Well, that would mean that those traits should be quite easily noticeable in different groups of people, perhaps by some common unifying factor like... i dunno... maybe race?

Religion doesn't give a purpose in itself unless you think that following God is an intrinsic good. When it comes down it, most people choose their subjective purposes over religion anyway. To illustrate this, imagine yourself in a scenario in which you are homeless and living in poverty. Are you really going to be choosing religion over your own well-being in this type of scenario? Unless you were a devout religious type you would prioritise your own goals of getting out of your shit situation. Essentially what I'm getting at is that most casual religious folk aim towards their own subjective 'purposes' in life, however it is just not as noticeable in a successful society because people are never put in a position where they are forced to actively decide what their own end is. Even the religious ones are closet 'no purpose' nihilists if they truly subscribe to nihilism.

Good and bad are subjective to your own perception. If someone is mentally Ill, they will not realize they are damaged. Nurture vs. Nature, some people are programed via their environment and lose the very core of who they are, because they follow, rather than embracing the actual self. Religion is cancer, the same is true for tradition, because you loose who you are to the collective, and right and wrong are no longer natural to your core view of nature and reality; a.k.a. Direct Experience. Words are an attempt to define direct experience, but they never can or will, direct experience can't be transmitted, the subjective is something only you have. This is why shared morality, and shared spirituality is bogus, and leads to killing.

The Fall of Western Man

-Traditionalism------------------------------------------------Liberalism-
Christianity --> Deism --> Agnosticism --> Atheism --> Nihilism

I am Viper; not the rapper. Let there be, and let there be no substitutes. Control is an illusion, and paradoxically so, when you let go and stop adhering, you become free and in control.

There is no god and thus there is literally nothing wrong with killing, my fellow animal.