ITT: great albums that aged poorly

ITT: great albums that aged poorly

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Mnh16Y8ZoaM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Nice bait

Kid A ages well

I disagree I actually think Kid A holds up pretty well.

Kid A was always a horrible album to begin with.

:(

I don't actually like it that much, but goddamn is it fucking dated

i find zero fault with your opinion, good sir/madam

wrong, the kanye sample saved it

Sad but true

Completely agree.

To Pimp A Butterfly has aged awfully in the 2 years since its release, especially when compared to GKMC.

Same with MBDTF.

This

Somehow this holds up worse than their first album from 68'

This this this this this

GKMC held up way better than TPAB

Yeah, I actually get really triggered when people say they prefer TPAB over GKMC.

It will be interesting to see what the general consensus will be when end of decade lists come out in a couple yaers.

>general consensus

Because the first album was quite raw whereas this album has 1970s cliches and production everywhere. It happened to a lot of acts

Absolute truth

That's pretty interesting, any other examples?

wtf? this is the ONLY david bowie album that aged well other than maybe blackstar.

Idk guys, I feel TPAB and Kid A really hold up and will continue to for years to come. GKMC has too many staples on it specific to the time (especially with the trap influences on Kill My Vibe and Swimming Pools). I also just genuinely enjoy TPAB much more than GKMC

The trap wave lasted way longer than the Jazz rap wave

See for me GKMC sounds super timeless. Not sure how the trap beats could sound dated in 2017.

For me the spoon-fed concept behind TPAB got old after a while. I think the album just tries a bit too hard and ends up coming across as a little contrived... for me at least.

This

Jazz rap has been around since the early 90s, and TPAB incorporated it very tastefully (to me at least). I'm not going to argue which album's better, but I personally find no flaws with TPAB and it contains everything I want in a hip-hop album (even if that is an overly-popular opinion). Just my opinion

Yeah, but the trend sort of died after the 90's and got briefly revived around the time TPAB cropped up and then died again.

Trap has yet to die

I'd call trap less a wave, and more like a continuous flux of raw sewage.

Ehh

Popular music, or maybe "album music" in general is needlessly fixated on innovation. There's more essential things than novelty working in music, and the desire to exploit every new toy that comes out and chasing after a "futuristic sound" is precisely what causes things to sound cheesy and dated. See, Art Deco. See, Brutalism. See, Musique Concrete

Kid A and TPAB are exactly NOT this. IMO

I think TPAB took jazz rap to a different direction that hadn't been explored before. Especially with the use of live musicians such as Terrace Martin (with his more modern approach to improvisation) throughout the album especially on the darker songs, it really gives TPAB a raw and free feeling that I can't really explain that really draws me to the album (apart from the lyrical content)

Wrong.

And all the indie landfill from this decade too

Yeah its a good album, but the genre is dead. It sounds old already, which is terrible considering its only a few years old

Except for the vocals on the Kid A track, the more ambient-ish tracks of the album definitely hold up, In Limbo and Optimistic are still good, I think Idioteque would probably be kinda improved by not using that much reverb on the percussion, but it was probably done so it would have some contrast with the main melody.

Agree, took a while to click compared to their other albums since it feels as if ot could sound a lot better on the more melodic tracks yet it doesn't.

It's funny how I never saw this opinion until Anthony Fantano said the vocals on the title track didn't age well but they did age well.

Fuck you I didn't know fantano had pointed that out.

fuzz did too

Screamadelica

>blackstar
>aged well
>2016
>aged
Are you a dog?

if you think the vocals on the track Kid A "don't hold up well" then you're a fucking retard who doesn't know what they're talking about whatsoever lmao

ITT: "I don't like it anymore, therefore it has aged badly"

fuck you got me

For me, since I still feel nothing else quite sounds like it, it still sounds fresh to me. Yours is a completely valid opinion though, I can easily see that side of it

I went back and listened all the indie records I bought when I was 16. Other than the first Libertines album, the first Klaxons album, and the first Arctic Monkeys album, it's all shit. Pic very related.

What about early Arcade Fire and Interpol?

this chart takes me back, thanks user. this one was one of my favourites
youtube.com/watch?v=Mnh16Y8ZoaM

i remember pidgeon detectives and maximo park as well.

I didn't really listen to Arcade Fire as a teen, so they weren't included in my great indie re-listen I undertook. As a 27 year old man, I can say early Arcade Fire is very good. Turn on the Bright lights is the most overrated album in history.