The holy trinity in 94

tori fell the fuck off the train

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vd2VHfpGxuw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>tori fell the fuck off the train

Yeah this, shame too because for a short while she was the best out of the trinity

Under the Pink/Boys for Pele was my shit as a teen

musicfus were actually talented back in the 90s, what happened?how did we end up with grimes, lauren, molly and st. vincent?

No way, PJ has fallen off way harder. Tori just released a really impressive musical two years ago. I think her albums have also been completely decent. She recorded a song with her daughter for the first time, wrote maybe the greatest song ever about plastic surgery disasters, lots of other stuff. I'm very sorry I just missed her play. She absolutely runs circles around PJ who I think really needs to find another line of work at this point.

is this b8

Why would it be bait? Compare their last 5 years and Tori will annihilate her. I just think at this point PJs priorities are elsewhere and her music is just a vehicle for that. She's obviously more interested in missionary work or whatever the fuck she's been doing.

cuz tori is cringy af and doesn't know how to edit or produce a decent album anymore? and pj just released one of her best albums only 6ish yrs ago while tori hasn't been relevant since like 2001

Ok we can go back 7 years

PJ - 80 minutes on 2 albums
Tori - 7 hours on 5 albums

I'm liking my odds

And wtf are you even talking about "editing an album"? Sup Forums is down the hall.

>pj just released one of her best albums
no thats completely wrong and you know it

quality over quantity and that is exactly why tori is bad now. she legit just puts everything on an album no matter how bad it is. a lot of music publications don't even pick toris albums up for reviewing anymore, that's pretty bad man.

and can u explain why uve decided that pj and tori need to be compared? why aren't we talking about bjork too?

How can you even call it a holy trinity? Bjork is so above them it's not even funny, besides Tori Amos and PJ Harvey are mostly just trash.

The one from 2011 Let England Shake?

Because Bjork is a literal fucking juggernaut.

its wrong for u if u think tori doing a musical called the light princess is a good thing lmao

No that's a different user but from what I remember it's pretty damn impressive. Do I have a current working knowledge of any of these albums mentioned? No to be fair I don't.

This was in 94 I think Bork only had Debut out at the time, maybe Post?

>Hips. Lips. Tits. Power
cringe

From what I'm hearing so far Let England Shake isn't that big a deal and isn't exactly devoid of cringe. The Glorious Land and The Words That Murder are back to back songs taken with a grain of salt for me.

It won a few awards and was on a lot of best of lists that year. I only found out about her from the hype that year but desu now I don't think it's in her top 5 even though it's still good.

I just started the song England and I am literally fighting to keep from turning it off.

Turn it off if you don't like it my man

Actually I listened to it twice just to verify. Bitter Branches sounds like high school garage band shit. Not overtly bad at all but simple to a fault I think.

I'm sorry Tori sucks now user but I'm glad you still enjoy her!

I'm specifically talking about this supposedly so great PJ Harvey album and The Colour of the Earth is absolutely CRINGE AS FUCK

was she?

I'm not sure what to say user I'm sorry you don't enjoy it and I don't know why you're listening to it if you don't like it. You just can't take other people's opinions personally man you will drive yourself nuts!

that room must've smelled awful

If we compare Sugarcubes, yes.

>and I don't know why you're listening to it if you don't like it.
It's the subject of the thread.

Is that your fetish?

i unironically agree with this tumblr dot com image desu

I love the new Garbage album

where's Liz Phair

idk but she should have been there instead of brody dale...who wasn't "relevant" until like 2003.

not gonna lie i have no idea who brody is, should i?

I first discovered Kate Bush and Polly Jean from Bjork geeking out about their music in interviews. She has amazing taste.

swap alanis gwen and brody for liz phair donita sparks and as much as i hate her probably kathleen hanna

hell no, just look at them though

I'm looking I'm looking!

yeah Tori's music has always been pretty and honest

I mean I've actually never heard the last Sugarcubes album from 1992 but I'm pretty sure Little Earthquakes is gonna beat it.

Her first two/three albums are slightly better than anything PJ and Bork have ever released, more austere, but at the same time more varied and technically impressive

Bump for babes

>PJ has fallen off way harder
Let England Shake and Hope 6 Demolition Project would like a word with you

See

Nice music thread OP

There are good ones now too, you just singled out the garbage. Laurel Halo, Julia Holter, Tentenko, Kelly Lee Owens. Can easily name more.

this is some of the dumbest shit I've seen for a while

Why do they mention their tits on the cover of the magazine? Why don't they show a picture of 3 men and write: "Muscles. Moustaches. Dicks. Power"

Because women are only marketable as sex objects and aren't considered to be capable of anything technically impressive by society. Largely due to biological norms, mostly due to gender roles, partially due to people wanting to piss of "feminists".

Wow she was really gorgeous

PROBLEMATIC AF

This is the most incredible piece of film, it should be shown on a loop in a gallery somewhere.
youtube.com/watch?v=vd2VHfpGxuw

It was a Silverfish lyric and a meme t-shirt.

That was intensely awful and completely validates my opinion of this album.

Yes, its wonderful. Dissonant auto-harp on a Sunday morning at 9am, a sample from the Four Lads "Instanbul" present in the song for once, all as Gordon Brown looks on. You're watching history.

Kinda feel bad for Leslie Rankine. She had a great voice and did some interesting stuff, but her "extreme" feminism (that was tame compared to current feminism) was source of mockery bcs that meme 90s phrase.
Silverfish and Ruby became bargain-bin core and aren't even on Spotify

Tori Amos never hid the Kate Bush influence, but it's like she got stuck in "The Red Shoes" since 98
She needs to get divorced asap, her husband is literally killing her career. Like if ruining her songs with his shitty wah-guitar wasn't enough

Naturally I guess it's impossible to say. Tori has apparently had multiple plastic surgeries some of them disasters.

Just realized Tori is older than Bork, still unfortunate she went the botox route.

st. vincent is very good and grimes isn't bad at all. geidi primes was really interesting. try not to swallow the memes

Why doesn't Sup Forums ever discuss Juliana Hatfield, Liz Phair or Lisa Germano? Exile in Guyville is probably the most well received female album in decades. Geek the Girl is maybe the best female album of all time. It's not just Scaruffi, pretty much everyone in the music world acknowledges how good those artists were.

Bcs the're plebs/waifufags and those artists dont have enough photoshoots to fill a thread.
Lisa Germano is awesome and her output is solid, but Liz made 1 1/2 decent album and Juliana was a joke even in the 90s. How about Tanya Donelly, Kristin Hersh (their solo work is strong), Cat Power, Kendra Smith, Hope Sandoval (yeah, I know she only co-wrote in Mazzy Star) amongst others
Anyways the "girly girl with distorted guitars" scene in the 90s was a fad a needs to be forgotten, Juliana Hatfield was the first but MTV was flooded with shit like Eves Plum, Letters To Cleo, Veruca Salt, Frente! and a lot more literally who's. Poe was probably the only decent band to come out of that scene

>hips lips tits power

Bit sexist. Probably wrote by some fat wanker.

Her new album is pretty good actually.

I fucking love her early work but yeah, she really fell of over the last decade or so.

I fail to see what's interesting about Lisa Germano and her Geek the Girl album. It has a couple of pretty good songs but the rest is harmless, generic alt-rock with some orchestration here and there. She is not a good singer and not a very imaginative lyricist.

Scaruffi is such a pleb. He praises this dull album but gives low ratings to much more interesting female songwriters/producers (Bjork and Kate Bush) just because they're more well-known.

Not him but Tori's latest album "Native Invader" is much-much better than PJ's. Can't argue on Let England Shake though, that one is fantastic.

It's a shame that she married her sound engineer. Mark's a shitty guitarist and he is really holding her music back imo. Just imagine her music with actual musicians...

PJs last was nice but a bit boring, sounds like LES b-sides to me. I keep getting disappointed with the Tori releases so I just stopped trying. The guitar work and production have just all over the place, rehashed themes, vocals really inconsistent etc

They play her in the grocery store a lot and that makes me feel rly sad and old desu

yeah what the fuck there's no way she can't hear how bad he is. also if she just released less and threw out all the album filler we might be good

Native Invader: 1 gr8 song and 60 minutes of boring rehashed Tori

Hope Six: No standout tracks but it's consistent and doesnt sound like anything she's done before, still a solid 7/10 album

The main difference between them is that while Polly is constantly pushing her boundaries, Tori prefers to continue doing the safe same album since "the beekeeper"

Thats one thing, the other is that he manages her touring schedule and booking fees. Out of the three artists in OPs pic, Tori is the only one that never toured South America for example.
He's literally destroying her career

my much older brother had this shirt and i wanted to steal it so bad lmao

listening to her some of her newer shit after Boys for Pele I can barely believe it's the same artist desu

>60 minutes rehashed Tori
I highly disagree with you. Native Invader has at least 4-5 great songs, 5 decent songs and maybe 2-3 forgettable ones. I wasn't a big fan of it first but it grew on me a lot. I love PJ as well but unfortunately I just couldn't get into Hope Six, like something that made her previous work so unique was missing.

Hope Six was kinda disappointing, but she's currently touring with Mick Harvey and the drummer from Gallon Drunk, something tells me her next one will be awesome

Hotel, Venus, and Scarlet are good records. It's around the beekeeper when she started to make really mediocre stuff.

Let it be true. I actually believe that LES is her second best album, I wonder if she could ever be able top that. But Mick Harvey is a good sign indeed.

what's her first for u?

To bring you my love. You?

She's playing "down by the water" live for the first time in decades and hanging out with some ex-Bad Seeds lately. If it sounds at least like an Anita Lane album I will be happy

Hotel is gr8, venus and scarlet where ok but wayyy too long. But yeh, The Beekeeper was when everything went downhill.
She literally needs to divorce and "come to Brazil", it could be the kick that she needs to get old edgy Tori back

Same, but I didnt like "is this desire"at first and now I love it, something similar happened to me with "hu hu her" (still skip some track thou), so maybe HSDM will eventually grow on me as well.
"To bring you my love" is hands down her masterpiece, everything that makes her great is on that album, following it must been hard, but she did alright

Always Rid of Me but TBYML and Is This Desire? are so so close behind. Would be Dance Hall if we were counting those

Bjork is the most alpha of the three. Loves fucking and isn't afraid to sing about it.

Hope Six did the opposite for me, I really loved it right away, but that faded fast to "yea it's ok"

"give me peace, love, and a hard cock" - tori

>"If you want it inside, boy you better make a raspberry swirl"
Tori

>Insert any pre-White Chalk lyric
PJ

The 3 of them didnt have a problem writing songs about fucking, Tori got married to a dork and PJ just went into a more "artistic" direction (for now)
Out of the 3 I bet PJ is the wildest, Nick Cave described their relationship as "pure lust" and she fucked Josh Homme multiple times, a sex-tape was rumored to exist but it was bullshit

"So you can make me come that doesn't make you jesus"

PJ almost sang TOO much about sex first 3 pls but some of it is pretty fuckin dark. Dry(song) is emasculating in a great way.

Ecstasy and Long Snake Moan are my jams for all the sexy feels

American Doll Posse and Abnormally Attracted to Sin have some great tracks as well,albeit with a lot of filler. Everything she has put out since then has been really fucking boring though.

Not much love ol' big nose Miki.

>action girl is a qt

trying to find the gems with all the bloat is discouraging desu

not sure if im going to check her new lp out yet

grimes is absolute trash

The good thing about her latest LP is that she put the best song first, so once that track is over you can move on.
No way I'm listening to the almost 3hrs of ADP or the snoozefest that is AATS to find a good song there

Fiona's best album came out in 2012 though

agreed, her entire catalog is still solid af tho

grimes is good fuck listen to visions

bjork had the highest highs but pj has the most consistency

>PJ has fallen off way harder
this just isn't true mate