Magic

So what movies do a good job at showing magic in a powerful and impressive style?

Is the LotR a good example? When magic is used, which isn't that often, it is always changes the outcome of a battle or has big effects in general.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aVMq7ynj_64
u.pomf.is/znvmhz.webm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

star wars

Movies involving magic are usually pretty crap. When the guy rewinds the movie in Funny Games was a strong use of magic I guess.

Are those statues slme specific Maiar? Let's make this another comfy lotr thread plese.

Westworld

The only magic in that show is shrink magic and they haven't even shown it yet

Warcraft

>tfw born to early to work on the lotr films

Don't think so, pretty sure they are old numenorean kings.

>tfw born too early to feel
youtube.com/watch?v=aVMq7ynj_64

They are Isildur (the one who decides to keep the ring) and his brother, Anarion or something like that.

Lotr is a shit example

Philosopher's Stone
Prisoner of Azkaban
Goblet of Fire
Order of the Phoenix
Half Blood Prince
Deathly Hallows

Definitely LotR. When Gandalf turns away the Nazghul on the flying beast, god damn.
I like that it's understated. Magic doesn't have to do sickass CGI to look powerful. Gandalf breaking the bridge in Moria with his staff is infinitely more impressive than Dumbledore doing fancy flame shit with his wand for this reason.

Kek you have shit tier taste.

GOAT

>people complain about potter losing the magic and being realistic and more like witchcraft
>same people praise lotr for being bland

How many times did they have to clean gandalf the white's robes I wonder

Gandalf does nothing interesting in LOTR

Magic isn't impressive when it's normal everyday shit and you just know that whatever impressive shit they do this movie they're gonna try and one-up it in the next.

The worst thing is the duel beams. In the book, Harry and Voldemort both cast the spell, there's a sudden moment of shock, and then Harry realizes that Voldemort's corpse is laying there on the floor. In the movie it's this WHOA EPIC BEAM BATTLE and then Voldemort VANISHES INTO ASH because WHY NOT.

I can name specific instances where the magic was powerful in LotR, that scene from Half-Blood Prince not being one of them.
1. The Expecto Patronus (or whatever the fuck) in Azkaban
2. the fight in that room with the crystals in Phoenix, but they just made a gunfight with wands and magic instead of guns so that's cheating
3. when Harry fucks Draco up in the restrooms in Half Blood Prince

>people complain about potter losing the magic and being realistic and more like witchcraft
what?
>>same people praise lotr for being bland
what?

I hope they someday repeal the law that requires unkempt fat guys to always wear baggy shorts in public.

Then you'll see how they look without baggy shorts and wish they started wearing them again.

That one always hits me hard

>Gandalf does nothing interesting in LOTR
>fights off all the Nine at Weathertop
>kills a fucking Balrog
>revives Theoden, cucks Saruman
>stares down the Witch King but the Rohirrim arrive before he can fuck him up

didnt read lotrfag

kek you are a nerd, jackson directed like a faggot

>stares down the Witch King but the Rohirrim arrive before he can fuck him up
nigga gandalf was going to die

that one scene with all the Lightning spells in Warcraft

>nigga gandalf was going to die
>“In rode the Lord of the Nazgûl. A great black shape against the fires beyond he loomed up, grown to a vast menace of despair. In rode the Lord of the Nazgûl, under the archway that no enemy ever yet had passed, and all fled before his face.
>All save one. There waiting, silent and still in the space before the Gate, sat Gandalf upon Shadowfax: Shadowfax who alone among the free horses of the earth endured the terror, unmoving, steadfast as a graven image in Rath Dínen. "You cannot enter here," said Gandalf, and the huge shadow halted. "Go back to the abyss prepared for you! Go back! Fall into the nothingness that awaits you and your Master. Go!" The Black Rider flung back his hood, and behold! he had a kingly crown; and yet upon no head visible was it set. The red fires shone between it and the mantled shoulders vast and dark. From a mouth unseen there came a deadly laughter. "Old fool!" he said. "Old fool! This is my hour. Do you not know Death when you see it? Die now and curse in vain!" And with that he lifted high his sword and flames ran down the blade.
>And in that very moment, away behind in some courtyard of the city, a cock crowed. Shrill and clear he crowed, recking nothing of war nor of wizardry, welcoming only the morning that in the sky far above the shadows of death was coming with the dawn. And as if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horns, horns, in dark Mindolluin's sides they dimly echoed. Great horns of the north wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last.”

Daily reminder Viggo Mortensen had the last word on the Appendices.
;_;

u.pomf.is/znvmhz.webm

I don't know user, that still sounds like he was gonna die.

>that still sounds like he was gonna die
As Gandalf the Grey he fought off the nine Nazgul all night on Weathertop, he only left because he needed to get to Rivendell. As Gandalf the White he would have fucked up the Witch King in his sleep.

Wasn't the Witch King far stronger than the rest though?
I also remember in the film that he was clearly undermatched against the Witch King, and it has been 9 years since I read the book. I should read it again but it's so fucking big

the witch king was with the rest of them on weathertop, he's the one that stabbed Frodo
>the film
The film, and especially the extended edition, is basically fan fiction

Doesn't even have any spells from Warcraft I

Fucking goosebumps man

witching and bitching 2013