What does Sup Forums know about the War of 1812?

What does Sup Forums know about the War of 1812?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xNnAvTTaJjM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

WAR. WHAT IS IT GOOD FOOOOAAR??

US soldiers were defeated by Indians literally dancing

Stars and Stripes anthem

Fucking leafs confirmed as badass soldiers

The largest battle was fought after peace had been signed already

Nothing really changed with this war, maybe the fact that Canada remained independent

That's it

Literally didn't even know it happened until quite recently

Andrew Jackson raped Brit and Injun faces.

The Empire torched the White House.

>America tells Britain to stop capturing it's trade ships and forcing its sailors into naval service, since the US is a recognized sovereign country
>Britain says it has a right to do so because the US isn't a real country, but says it'll stop as long as America stops trading with proto-Hitler and his friends
>President Madison declares war despite the Northern half of the US strongly opposing it
>American armies have to march around Northern States in order to attack Canada, since Northerners might riot
>American armies torch the Canadian capital (I think, but I might be making that up since I can't find it on Wikipedia right now), but mostly get their asses kicked
>Brits decide to retaliate by blockading the US, and burning down Washington. Madison flees like a bitch.
>War ends for some reason, despite the Brits being in a position to easily finish off the young Republic. Americans and Brits still decide to fight one more battle at New Orleans just for fun; Brits lose the battle pretty badly, which makes the US think the war ended in a draw
Something like that.

Next to nothing
I only know about the one in Europe involving Napoléon

>War ends for some reason, despite the Brits being in a position to easily finish off the young Republic
They weren't. Even the Duke of Wellington said the war was unwinnable and they'd just get swallowed up in the endless American wilderness.

Amerilels getting blown the fuck out

LEAF'D
but not really

youtube.com/watch?v=xNnAvTTaJjM

Probably just being polite desu.

Like when you tell a retarded person they could beat you in basketball, but you know full well that's not the case until they become a global superpower after WWI.

Napoleon invaded Russia and got his shit kicked.

What is it with the American persecution complex? No one here wanted to "destroy the republic", half the parliament didn't even want to fight the war of independence.

eternal yank tried to bring down the bongs when they were at their lowest, still managed to get btfo'd

I'm more interested in why Sup Forums cares about a little conflict that never resulted in any major goals and would have been tough for either side to win.

>Britain says it has a right to do so because the US isn't a real country, but says it'll stop as long as America stops trading with proto-Hitler and his friends
>President Madison declares war despite the Northern half of the US strongly opposing i
After the war, the European powers began to take the US seriously as a nation instead of a renegade bunch of colonies. The war also encouraged a stronger American national identity (it also stimulated Canadian nationalism) and it marked the death knell of Federalism and its aristocratic, pro-British ideologies. The New England states, which were the main Federalist stronghold, were discredited as traitors for opposing the war (which cut into their shipping business) although ironically Massachusetts contributed more volunteers to the US Army and Navy than Virginia.

The war did help stimulate nascent American industry as we could not import goods from Europe and were forced to produce more things domestically, after the Treaty of Ghent however, European manufactures flooded back into the US and caused an economic depression from factories closing.

Why was the American war for independence so unpopular in Britain, to the point where even a low-key Tory like Edmund Burke supported the rebel cause? Did everyone serious think George III was that much of an asshole?

>Fucking leafs confirmed as badass soldiers
Pretty good bait.

I thought those numbers looked off so I googled it. Those numbers are from Americans killing Americans. We excell at that btw.

The war was very expensive and a bunch of yokel farmers on the other side of the Atlantic weren't really seen as something worth fighting over. Also FWIW, the American colonies were of little economic value to the mother country whereas the sugar islands in the Caribbean were worth huge amounts of profit.

>American armies torch the Canadian capital (I think, but I might be making that up since I can't find it on Wikipedia right now), but mostly get their asses kicked
They did it was called York back then and now is Toronto. We also burned/raided some other shit in Canada. Maybe O shouldn't say we since my ancestors here were New England Yankees.

Have you got a source for this? I wasn't aware of European powers taking America seriously until your domestic manufacturing industry exploded following the Industrial Revolution in Britian. The other event that caused Europe to take note was the Spanish-American War, but ultimately Europe was rather preocuppied in the mid 19th century with Industrializing and recovering from the Napoleonic wars.

You still would have your civil war a few decades later, and the frontier to conquer and link the East and West coasts before you became a truly cohesive country.

Canada could have been taken pretty easily if they'd just gone for Quebec City, which was the main port and link to the outside world. Cut that off and the interior towns would be starved into surrender. However, they ineptly launched a three pronged invasion of Canada which was doomed to fail.

>War ends for some reason, despite the Brits being in a position to easily finish off the young Republic
They actually couldn't according to Wellington. Remember the North wasn't behind the war, if they started in on the North they would have mobilized the highest population density in the country and the whole fuckton of wilderness thing.

>Like when you tell a retarded person they could beat you in basketball,

Not really they didn't have the free resources then and their populace was facing increasing war taxes and shipping insurance increased which caused the price of goods to increase. Neither side really supported the war nor were prepared.

The US in 1812 had about 2 million men of military age but for some reason it was never possible to get more than 7000 of them onto the battlefield at any one point.

You were our kin, no one at home really understood what the grievances were or why you so badly wanted to leave. Probably what made George's stubborn position more unpopular than anything else was using Hessian troops, employing foreign mercenaries to kill Englishmen was the same charge that had discredited Charles I (and parliament too in the earlier years).

>were or why you so badly wanted to leave
Remember though, only a relative minority of colonists (most of them edgelords in New England) wanted independence. Most people were indifferent or else loyal to the Crown.

>wanting constitutional representation in parliament makes one an "edgelord"
Lick the palms of your masters, and let posterity forget you were ever my countryman.

What could have been.... I don't really mind since you both ensured Anglo Culture and the English language's dominance for the foreseeable future, but I kind of wish America was still one of us.

You're taking this website a bit too seriously user. If someone's opinion you disagree with is a slight to you, then you're going to be perpetually offended.

That was a 180 degree turn from the Revolution when New England favored independence and the South were loyalists.

As I said, New England was the Federalist center and they were all Anglophiles, also their shipping industry had been destroyed by Jefferson's ill-conceived embargo and by the war.

The War of 1812 was the final nail in the coffin of Federalism, they ran a presidential candidate one last time in 1816, but he won only 1-2 states.

Well it was actually more of a joke, but thanks for your advice.

Irrelevant battle

Canada burned down the white house

That was British regulars brought over from Europe during Napoleon's exile on Elba.