What's an average home cost in USD where you live Sup Forums...

What's an average home cost in USD where you live Sup Forums? Where I am it's about 800 grand for a starter home (1 or 2 bedrooms).

How do people afford something like this? I need to save 80 Gs just to put a down payment down. My rent is 1450 and I only pull in 3 G a month

Attached: 20180217_223345.png (1076x964, 1.65M)

a moderately nice, average upper middle class home in my area costs about 200k ish. You live somewhere with very high housing prices

My house is the largest in the neighborhood and I paid 310k. two up the street just sold for like 250 and 289 or something.

200-250k gets you 2000 sq ft, 3-4 bedrooms, 0.5-1 acre

This whole thread is pointless unless you also say where you live.

>How do people afford something like this?
Most don't. Young people are fucked. Enjoy your bleak future.

I bought a 4bed 2.5 bath home in Illinois for $118k. The one thing I noticed immediately when shopping for a home was that the whole system is setup for married couples with two incomes. If you're single and bring home an average income, forget about getting a nice place. Luckily for where I live, I make almost twice the average income so I was able to get a house that I actually want.

Yeah, I mean why the hell would most single people want a 4 bedroom house?

It makes sense that most dwellings that are meant to accommodate a family need a family income to buy.

Western Canada

...Which post are you talking about? And Western Canada can mean anything from Vancouver to Saskatchewan. In case you haven’t noticed, it’s a pretty big country.

Jesus Christ I can't believe how cheap your places are. I knew there must have been an incentive for people to willingly live in the states

Im the OP. Vancouver Island to be specific

Austin TX...there's roughly 300 starter homes for sale under 200K.

I currently live in a medium size town (

live in central indiana

800k for a starter home...You should probably leave California.

>people pay a million dollars for some 200 year old colonial nearly convinced it’s what they want

Maybe it is what they want. I know plenty of people who live in beautiful expensive historic homes in Northern States. It really is what they want, and they’re willing to pay for it. Who the hell would rather live in Bumfuck Nowhere where you live?

The idea that you think some people couldn’t possibly want something just because you don’t want it is ridiculous.

Maybe because I work from home and I want the extra space. Maybe because I don't want to have to sell this house and start all over looking for a new one in the next 5 to 10 years if I get married and decide to have kids. There are plenty of legit reasons for a single person to want something other than a 1 bedroom efficiency apartment.

1.3 mil
small houses but heritage area

I've seen nice 4br places in my area for about 200k, but they are going up.

But, in an adjacent poorer city, I've seen a little 1br place for less than 10k. And entire apartment complexes sell for under a million.

Great.

Nobody said you don’t have your reasons, and that’s fine. But most people don’t work from home. Most people don’t “want the extra space” just for the sake of having it. Most people would move when they start a family, using the equity they built up in their first home to do so.

The system isn’t set up for people because you’re in a tiny minority of people.

Your plan sounds idiotic to me. But nobody is stopping you if you have your reasons. Just don’t complain that the system isn’t built for people like you.

Where do you live OP

Suffolk county NY. I paid $250,000 for a 2 story 4br house in 2014 although it was undervalued.
Mortgage is about $900/month, but the fucking taxes are no shit $950/month.
I make about $75,000/yr
The only way I was able to get it was a VA loan

OP you should move to Texas. You’ll be able to find your job and housing is cheaper. Don’t worry about the people either.

fucking nigger. is it rally that hard to read the thread? fucking useless lazy faggot. kys

I live in Cali. Average home in my city is 500k. That's for a 2-3 bedroom house built in the 50s. I hoped for fires to burn the homes of the rich and it happened. Now I hope for another housing crash and recession in my area.

You make 75k a year and couldn't afford a 250k house without an additional loan?

Where the hell does all your money go?

I’m in Washington and my house was $137k.
Definitely a starter house although a decent one.
>1900 sq ft
>upstairs, finished basement, 3bed/2bath
>neighborhood 5/10 at best

Market here is shit now. Multiple committees trying to solve a growing housing crisis. Could probably get $250k-$300k for mine now just because of lack of options.

nationwide median home price in US is like $240k

higher and lower depending on location

$60-140k in rural Pennsylvania

$200k+ in northern VA

places where housing is cheap (like nw georgia) means no jobs

This is about as helpful as saying the average family has 2.4 kids.

It doesn't actually tell you anything useful.

30k for a questionable house and a decent amount of land

Decatur, GA. near atlanta. my home was 60k. 2 br 1 bath and a basement. not bad for a starter either.

yes it does dipshit. if you live in area with enough economic activity to support a mortgage, expect to pay a quarter mill.

if you want to live in the sticks, houses are cheaper but you will have no way to pay for it.

source: I've owned houses in 3 US states and it's all about the same

Attached: 1495473234887.gif (300x152, 994K)

renting 3 bedroom apartment for 400 euro a month in the center of a a semi-town, nice neighborhood, work is 10 min away on bicycle.
life is good.

holland

Read the thread
I don't really want to live in the states.
Fuck that sounds good. I stayed in Maastricht for a month a few years ago, I quite liked Holland.

Our house was 200K 4 years ago when we bought it.
5 bed room 3 bath

It goes for about 245K now.
Prices are rising quickly here

A decently new 3 bed, 2 bath house on an acre of land around me is right around 80-100k. 200k around here gets you a brand new custom home on a couple acres. 800k around here would buy you a few thousand acres and a working ranch

That isnt true at all. They might not be the jobs "you" want, but jobs exist. I can show you tiny little rural towns with dam near zero unemployment rates. Everything around you was built, grown, or got there somehow

4 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 1 worshop room, 2 living room, 1 kitchen + garage, pool a pretty big plot with woods around, 200k in a mid range city in canada

Those towns are dying, man.

There might be a few thriving pockets here and there, but on the whole, there is a mass exodus from small rural towns. Young people don't want to live there. There's nothing interesting there. They don't see a future there.

I would get the fuck outta one of those places as soon as I could if it were up to me.

Why don't you just give the name of your city? "mid-range city in Canada" is pretty useless.

American houses are made out of fucking cardboard not to mention the lack of overcrowding in most places keeps prices down. The UK and other isles tend to have higher housing prices due to finite building space/infastructure.

Saskatchewan or Manitoba?

what i was saying is housing prices are tied to wages not employment rates

cheap housing = low paying jobs

I put down 120k on my house and it was only 250k. 10 year mortgage 2.8%apr not payin that pmi like a dumbshit

Your problem is the majority of those towns are vital, and while it isnt hip or trendy to stay there most dont ever leave. If they did the US would have no grains, no lumber, no raw materials... Not only does someone need to farm that food, the equipment needs to be fixed, the food needs to be moved, stored, shipped. Gas needs to be bought and sold. Auto parts need to be bought and sold. All those people need a bank, a police department, fire department, a hospital within 30 miles, etc

There is a lot of jobs if you are flexible and willing to work. Now if your life long dream is to be an accountant, you might have a bit of a drive, but even then, jobs exist.

And thats another thing. People commute to work. I live near a major city, and my drive time to and from work is STILL an hour and a half each way. An hour and a half drive in middle of nowhere Oklahoma not only means dirt cheap housing, but you still have your pick of job in a large city.

Its like the southerners say. There are city boys and there are country boys. Neither of them will ever understand the other

Thats also not always true, especially in skilled jobs. For example a pharmacist working for Walgreens gets a 20% pay increase if the Walgreens is in a "rural area" or if it is "underserved". Doctors and nurses have very similar bonuses. The big dollars though come from engineering jobs in places like Kansas, Oklahoma, Idaho, where companies throw their panties at employees to get them to move.

The whole point is that you're looking at the status quo. Not to the future.

Sure some (and I mean /some/) of them are realtively important now, but every day they become less important.

Sure some people will never leave, but every day more and more people are leaving. I wasn't exaggerating when I said there was a mass exodus. Look into it, there really is.

And it really doesn't solve the problem of these places have next to no appeal to the vast majority of young people. There is just nothing happening there, and that isn't going to change any time soon.

This, I was amazed to find out how many american homes are flat pack. Everything American is just flat and without depth.

NW ohio. Starter home around 30-50k Nice house with some land for 100-150k. Mansion 300k. Good high paying jobs everywhere around here, can't find workers. Strange.

350,000 in shit town, minimum 500k in a nicer town next door

is an example of my final point made in Good high paying jobs, cheap nice housing, but no workers. Why? Because most young people arent excited by the prospect of staying in or moving to NW Ohio. They just aren't.

The cultural pull of big cities has a really serious affect on young people, but people often ignore this and just focus on jobs.

But they don't want just any job - they want certain jobs in certain industries, that usually require educational opportunities that just aren't available in the middle of bumfuck nowhere. And they want these jobs in interesting urban locations.

45k in 4 years? woah slow down buddy!
our house doubled in price in a year, 250k

Northern Ohioan here. The jobs are fucking boring. I got lucky enough to self employ.

>additional loan
Are you stoned, retarded, a faggot or just trolling?

Says the person who pays $600/month for an apartment when housing morgage for a 200,000 house and taxes and a 20 year loan with nothing down is around 1000 a month.

Paying into something as an investment that you can sell. If user loves in a house that's an asset ue can sell. If he spent 10 years in appartment. There no appreciation to the investment you just got cucked out of 10 years or rent.