"I think what we're seeing now is a similar situation to in 1989-91 right before Nirvana broke...

"I think what we're seeing now is a similar situation to in 1989-91 right before Nirvana broke. The charts back then were nothing but mindless pop, dance, and novelty songs, but no music that actually spoke to how the kids were feeling. I'm confident that good music will make a comeback. It happened before and it can happen again."

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1989
twitter.com/AnonBabble

So what we need is...another Foo Fighters album! Yay!

and how are kids feeling today?

Stop riding the Nirvana wave, Dave. Go back to the drumkit, you'll never be Kurt.

Sexually confused and self entitled

Its the Oppression Olympics. The best advice: don't compete.

I've seen FF and honestly...the show had nothing even the faintest bit interesting or exciting. It was just very stale dadrock/arena rock cliches with big guitar and drum solos.

They don't, too much xanax

The band is just Dave living out his rock star fantasy.

>arena rock cliches with big guitar and drum solos.
Sounds fun. What's the problem?

He's right you know
Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Oasis, etc all broke into mainstream because the public was READY for it. Nirvana made everything accessible and people wanted more.
What we need is a band to break our modern niches into the limelight. A band to take bands like HANL who reflect how hard it is to understand modern life and turn that sound big. Back in the early 90's those feelings were abundant and Nirvana was able to get everyone to accept them and now the same thing is needed.

Shouldn't you be sitting in your trailer with a cold one listening to Ace of Spades now?

Except that has already happened, it's just with more artistic rappers defying the boring radio safe sound of 2000s hip hop

Fuck rock and roll, by the way.

That seems better than shitposting alone on Sup Forums, doens't it?

>fuck rock and roll
>hires Dave Grohl for an album

Dave's musical horizons are painfully limited; he seems to be oblivious to anything beyond entry-level classic rock.

Keeping him away from the mic and bashing on the drums only is a goddamn service to humanity.

Shouldn't you be listening to your nu-male indie soyboy

So? Maybe he wants to.

Shouldn't sitting in your local prissy hipster cafe having a cup of fair trade, priviledge ethiopian coffee while listening to animal collective?

Two can play this game, faggot

This. He can only look back in fondness to old bands. If he had any insight of any of the scenes he'd see that there are fine bands, and hiphop artists making music. He's a musical prude too far up his own ass

hahahaha yes! I love this quote, rock and roll will never die!!! Nobody is too old for some good old fashioned rOCK! The Foo Fighters are our last hope of real GOOD MUSIC in a world of justin Bieble and Nicky Minaj or whatever there names are!!!! Kids today dont know what real music is, I mean REL MUSIC PLAYED ON REAL INSTRUMENTS!!!!!!!!

I will be rocking out to this band all day (might even have a few drinks to go along with it (don't tell the wife!!))

>If he had any insight of any of the scenes
Like what?

>He can only look back in fondness to old bands.
That's not the problem in of itself, it's his non-awareness of anything but basic pleb-tier buttrock/stadium rock.

are you trying to quote reading 2013?

he says "fucking cold out here, by the way"

Foo Fighters were good for two albums before turning into generic buttrock.

this. and opioids
you can taste the soy in this post

He said fuck rock and roll in response to PEte Wentz going on a rockist rant

I already know what you're gonna do. I'm gonna post artists names and you're gonna shoot them down as being shit. I don't care, because I'm gonna post it anyways.
Plenty of punk band
>IDLES
>Pissed Jeans
>Ice Age
>Jeff Rosenstock
>Turnstile
Emo
>twiabp
>Modern Baseball
>Title Fight
>Joyce Manor
Indie
>Mac Demarco
>Tame Impala
This dosen't include local scenes. Anyone who says anything is "dead" is a half-wit. Who cares about popularity.

nah he said it because of biffy clyo

>works for massive corporations instead
>what have i become

Fun AF too bee honest

>Nirvana
>Foo Fighters
>good music

Pick none

>Plenty of punk band
>Emo
>Indie
>local scenes
None of those are mainstram "chart" genres. Try again.

What's bad about them?

Man, I wish Kurt could come back from the dead to see what a shitty buttrocker Dave has become.

i think contemporary underground music is doing better than ever

for sure better than the 2000s

His behavior was caused by Biffy, but that rant was for Pete

gotta get a steady job when you have a platoon sized amount of kids.

Dave sorta now represents everything that Kurt was against, it's pretty funny t bqh

It would make more sense to post a picture of a 13 year old snotnose than some old fucker.

All those punk bands are a parody of what punk used to be. Pissed jeans is a fucking disgrace

People been saying punk is dead since like 1981 or something.

He makes pop punk but Jeff Rosenstock used to be pretty ideologically punk.

What should I listen to if I liked deathconsciousness?

>The best advice
You mean THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST

I genuinely don't think Dave is patting himself on the back or saying he will be the harbinger of new shit. I think he's just saying it will happen. And of course he's right.

Try 1978 when Sid and Sex Pistols died.

This. New Probot album fucking when?

Sex Pistols were a boy band.

I GOT ANOTHAA CONFECTION TO BAAKEEE

Okay. I'm not commenting on their quality or what "sort" of band they were. They were inarguably one of the leaders of the punk movement and when they disbanded everybody was convinced that punk was either dead or dying.

They were poseurs though. Punk is a lie.

his was better tho

Thanks Trump!

take it how you will, as i'm just a fag on a malaysian weeb music board, but i worked with Grohl and *he is the fucking worst*. just a greasy, unrepentantly gross manchild. i have several friends who've also worked with him, or s.j.'d at stadiums hes played at.

quick anecdote: ended up going for a ride with him on after a concert we wrote for, because my friend - a s.j. - had to drive him back to his house to find a shirt. we sat at his coffee table, covered in about 2409r782374 ash trays and seven boxes of half eaten mike & ikes. what seems like an hour later of uncomfortable stillness he comes barreling out of his bedroom, a little sweaty, panting, and drops fuckin STACKS of vhs tapes on the table in front of us. we were both pretty confused at the point. he then pops one in his combo vhs/dvd player and it's him getting blown by some poor chick with really fuckin terrible roots, he then puts the shirt over his slovenly body, turns to my friend and says, "this good?"

it is one of the most surreal, ridiculous moments of my life.

True. Very true.

>rap

Oh I agree about the poseur thing. Malcolm McLaren was a pigfuck.

>everyone is such a conformist
>sells tons to normies and abandons the only reason people care about him

Gutter trash

quality boomerpost

made my night! glad to know there are still cool cats out here rockin in the free world!

gonna put on some acdc and put the kettle on, goodnight Sup Forums...

I get it, your dad used to beat you while playing Highway to Hell.

not even very good pasta.

the kids aren't alright

you're right. i'm so flaccid of a human being, i vaguely wish i were dead but obviously don't have the wherewithal to do anything.

This guy gets it

Pretty sure he's been saying this for 15 years

nirvana is actually good though

He's not wrong.

The big shocker is that the next Nirvana will be politically aligned with cultural forces behind the alt right, as the creative energy that powered the intrinsic alignment between the political left and all artistic movements worth caring about for the last half century has gone all but intellectually bankrupt over the past 5 years or so while the cultural zeitgeist of the disaffected youths in America is someplace that that is given next to no acknowledgement whatsoever right now by the pop cultural status quo.

We haven't seen anything like it since rock and roll sent Lawrence Welk and pre-1950s pop music to sleep with the fishes. It's going to be really exciting to watch it all unfold.

Avenged Sevenfold is unironically better than anything Dave Grohl has put out.

Kind of.

In a streaming world I don’t think popular music can not speak to the kids at all. Like any hit song nowadays starts out with streaming traction from people listening to it and then the radio picks it up after to try and desperately stay relevant. I don’t think there’s room in here for music to get shoved down people’s throats as much

Culture develops when a handful of like-minded weirdos who are all into some obscure crap are given space to flesh out their weird obscure crap into something cool. The difference between 1991 and 2017 is that there had been a thriving underground music scene kept away from the eyes and ears of normies for all of the 80's. Nirvana brought it to the normie masses and killed it, and ultimately are responsible for the death of cool music.

>We haven't seen anything like it since rock and roll sent Lawrence Welk and pre-1950s pop music to sleep with the fishes
Traditional pop didn't fully die until the 70s though. If anything, it continued to vastly outsell rock and roll for quite some time.

When I said "traditional pop" I meant stuff like Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, and the Andrews Sisters.

It did but it was basically dadrock from 1955 onward. There were lots of people 25 and up who'd buy the shit but the teen audience didn't listen to Perry Como and of course they were going to be the next generation of musicians, and all influenced by Chuck and Elvis.

Sinatra was at his peak in the mid-50s to early 60s. The others were kind of washed up relics of the WWII era by the time Eisenhower was president and neither had any more hits by the late 50s.

>The big shocker is that the next Nirvana will be politically aligned with cultural forces behind the alt right
no they wont the music industry would never allow that to happen. at best theyll say faggot and be apolitical which is all im asking for

>Traditional pop didn't fully die until the 70s though
And not even then because vomit like Celine Dion and Adele are its distant descendants.

lmao

Fuck off. New Them Crooked Vultures album fucking when?

>The charts back then were nothing but mindless pop, dance, and novelty songs, but no music that actually spoke to how the kids were feeling

1988-89
sonic youth
pixies
the fall
rapeman
dinosaur jr
public enemy
detroit techno
house
acid...
music better than nirvana, what a cunt

maybe, but eighties band like pixies or the fall are better than nirvana for sure

heres the billboard chart for '89 I can see at least 10 songs more better than any foo fighters single

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1989

maybe that's what it'll take

soundcloud music is literally grunge in the 90's, you're just not in the movement cause you're a pussy who thinks good music has to be "avant garde" or some shit

Gile Corey if you haven’t already

kids don't feel anything anymore. they fall asleep at their tablets of spiderman having a pickachu baby with elsa.

Civilization is over.

Need I remind you?

Those videos are so creepy.

When Josh stops sucking cock.
So, never ever.

>soundcloud music is literally grunge in the 90s
Mfw a pseud spouts this hot take again

>The charts back then were nothing but mindless pop, dance, and novelty songs, but no music that actually spoke to how the kids were feeling.
this proves my ongoing theory that (not in terms of talent, but rather cult status) twenty one pilots is the nirvana of today.

This. There won't be another rock music resurgence because it's past its prime. Hip-hop is now where Rock was in the early 90s more or less.

>yfw the next foo fighters album is a 10/10 alt rock throwback straight from the underground

It’s doing better while the mainstream press machine is circling the drain.

People are tired of the poptimist dreck.

the next nirvana will destroy the music industry