Did he get shot by the guy who went to the toilet?

Did he get shot by the guy who went to the toilet?

plot twist: at that exact moment he dropped dead of a massive heart attack from too much gabagool

No he died of a heart attack at age 50 in Rome while on vacation with his wife and grandson.

No. You fell for the "you don't hear it coming" meme, like countless other plebs.

Chase is a fucking madman genius. Almost 10 years later and here we are, still discussing the ending and finale. Not just us autists, but mainstream media as well. Occasionally he would troll everyone with fake leads and that's it. He fucking loathes us and I salud him for that!

We used to play catch

Just finished the show an hour ago, great fucking shot.
I think the guy did shoot him, otherwise why would they put so much focus on him?

Any other show would have taken it too far, showed him point the gun and go to black.
This was a lot more creative and interesting.

Jesus Tony looks so young, I didn't notice it at all during the show itself

Has it ever been confirmed by the creator that he was shot?

What else could it have been?

This was the last time they spoke as mafia members, on screen.

DON'T STOP

Doesn't matter. It ended because the narrative had to end at some point. But life goes on.

Did the cat coming to look at Pauly basically mean he was going to die soon?

so this script Christopher was writing ultimately became cleaver?

My interpretation:

Essentially Tony at this point has seemingly all his ducks in a row with his family. Phil Leotardo is dead, and he's back on top. Despite the seemingly nice ending of him and his family (the most important thing in his life) enjoying a meal together, the song of Journey's "Don't stop believing" is playing in the background. The lyrics that play before the cut to black "it goes on and on and on" and unusual focus Tony has on the guy in the leather jacket however probably mean something more sinister.

Now, I don't necessarily think the guy killed Tony. There is ample evidence to suspect that this was the case, but the line by Bobby Bacala "I mean, our line of work, it's always out there. You probably don't even hear it when it happens, right?" I think is more ironic foreshadowing of Bobby's own death, who didn't even know what had happened before he hit the floor in Blue Comet.

I think the musical line and Tony's perspective on the guy in the bathroom is more a reflection that despite everything that occured Tony will never truly be happy. Life in the mob will continue, along with the constant paranoia against rivals, the feds and even among his own crew. The cycle doesn't really end, it always returns to the fact that Tony deep down will never be satisfied with his position in life, somewhat fitting with the critique of the modern man (see Death of a Salesman for something similar)

My take anyways.

he never lost his boyishness

No, he got shot by Meadow

That's a refreshing take, what do you make of the imagery of the tiger mascot near Tony? That danger is looming in the background? Some took it as another death flag.

But disregarding the Godfather references, another consistency has been people experiencing their downfall when they start to betray their family, not associates like Tony has, but blood, in the case of Crissy. Junior with Tony. It's almost karmic in nature, but Tony achieving a disregard for his immediate relative's death marks a degree of lost humanity that he may not get back, leading him to the state of permanent unease you speak of.

I have grown to like the ending.

After years of therapy and gaining power, Tony still has pretty much all the same worries he had when we met him and now most of his friends and extended family are dead. Pic related. Remember how many guys were out there in season 2, at the end of House Arrest?

Tony...had a hard life.

Tony has Bobby kill the Quebecois guy cause he was butthurt right?

That pic might be the most depressing shot in the entire show. So many great characters over the years, just gone.

I don't think its a death flag, if we are going with the idea that Tony was not killed at the cut to black. If they were going for the Godfather motif, they should have used actual oranges, not just something that had orange on it. The tiger aspect is interesting, because of its nature as a predator, it could be seen as a threat to Tony. The intense panning of the camera at all the patrons of the bar do reflect Tony's position in life: one of constant struggle to look out for people trying to attack him (IE Predators) while remaining at the top of the food chain. Anyone could be a threat

Your point about the betrayal of family is pretty solid. Tony killing Chris wasn't the worst of his actions, but it was his almost glee at the fact he had done so was the part that made him lose sympathy. Chris WAS a burden, and a threat to his children. However, you don't really take pleasure out of putting down a rabid dog.
Yeah this shot was bleak. I think that Paulie's survival was a bit of a cruel twist, as he was the most stupid and least loyal to Tony out of Tony's main squad (Bobby, Sil, even Chris to some extent), yet he survived and they didn't.

Yes. He literally did.

He survived but now he's all alone.
Mother(s) are dead, Tony is dead, Sil is basically dead.
All he has left is the job that he realized he's getting too old for.

Yes. He takes over a cursed crew and dies.

well Big Pussy, Ralpie and several others were less loyal than Paulie

>Big Pussy, Ralpie and several others were less loyal than Paulie
I was referring to Tony's crew who were alive at the time. BP and Ralphie both died pretty gruesomely by Tony's hands anyways.

That's a fair point. I did like how he also started to express fear and guilt over Chris's death. I think he wanted that cat dead more because it constantly reminded him of all the fucked up things he did to Christopher to drive him over the edge. His expression of violence is also very characteristic too, because that's how Paulie acted when things didn't go his way. When Paulie gets mad, he throws a chair, or punches out a guy, or smashes something. He's a petulant child, and it finally occurred to him.

David Chase, I believe, wanted to rip everything away from the viewer unexpectedly, simulating death. So I think coming up with the conclusion of the Guy in the Member's Only Jacket shoots him from behind and his lights immediately go out. Of course I think the ending is supposed to be open to interpretation. I think the feeling is what's important.

Tony echoes the real life fate of the mafia, they're still alive, but weakened and old and their children aren't interested in that life anymore

Any of you know what bacala is? Of course you don't, well it's salted cod. We taught the world how to eat.

Jesus Christ mister, you okay in there?

Nope his wife shot him

Think about it, the people resorted to the mafia because they needed to put food on their kids tables.
Few generations later they're wealthy and are able to raise their kids in comfort who go off to do legal jobs.

Mafia as a family business can never last because its a means to an end.

And what was his problem?

He found out his dad died and was a homosexual through the news paper.

I can't really blame him, especially at that age

what the fuck wasn't that kids problem? imagine your father gets whacked, deep down in your puerto rican soul you know the mob did it then tony sits you down and has the balls to get mad at YOU for acting out

I actually really liked that kid even if he was faggy and annoying he had the shrug of a kid who has seen far too much bullshit for his age

and he shat on the floor and got sent to boot camp for it.

Besides Paulie's spiritual struggles, he already had the story of his life figured out. He wasn't waiting for an arc. He expected nothing and got nothing.

>was a homosexual through the news paper.

Ewwww.

What

'Remember when' is the lowest form of conversation.

Yes. members only jacket. he was related to the guy who hanged himself. on season 6 ep 1 or 2 I forget

>90% of my conversations with one of my friends is "remember when"

I just watched the show again.. and htought the same thing. when it's just him and paulie. instead of like 7+ people

There literally isn't and will never be a correct answer to this question. The show just ends at that moment. It's pointless to try to figure it out.

>Bell rings
>Camera goes to Tony's POV to see who enters for each family member
>The one for Meadow is black cause that's when he got shot

Proof?

When you do that, you're not living.

I generally concur with the more existential interpretation of the ending; namely, that life will go on along with Tony's depression and paranoia I would also like to mention that the idea that the person was going into the bathroom before killing Tony seems wrong for two reasons: (1) it's far too prosaic an echo of The Godfather for a show that is largely famous for subverting such expectations; and (2), there is no real reason for his to need to go into the bathroom in the first place- Tony was focussing on his family, had no bodyguard with him, and nobody was checking for firearms.

Tony only said that because he couldn't join in and reminisce, he was being a salty sally

That was great.

Could've been. Or it could've been New York. Or someone else. Doesn't really matter.

It ends because Tony is dead. And without Tony, there's no show.

Ya Tony was a hateful, vindictive person. The type of person that deserves to die by any means.

Why did Paulie always act so dramatic?

Wasn't Chrissy Carmela's cousin though? So not really blood.

Yeah

Interesting point.

He was distantly related to Tony as well. Adrianna mentions it in a conversation with the FBI lady.

Old, stuck in his ways. Had to make sure his age didn't make him complacent. Young guys could see the opportunity to jump over him, like Chrissy did. I think that's why he had such an aggressive attitude.

Why don't you salud my dick fagtron

Nah, that happened a few years later

This. Its obvious as fuck if you have a brain

Patsy Parisi had him whacked over the murder of his twin with the go ahead from the other families.

It's only within the last week I really started appreciating the Sopranos. My dad's been obsessed with it for so long that it's become a running joke in the family, so I kind of just tuned it out for forever. But just a few days ago while we were waiting for our early Thanksgiving party to start he put the series on from the first episode, and I really got the chance to sit down, watch, and actually appreciate the story with him. It kind of kills me to realize how much my dad relates to Tony (a tough-ass but softie-on-the-inside who grew up with tough, elderly and sick parents that inevitably pushed him into the family business which is now dying and with kids whom he both wants to see work with him but would hate to see us turn out or feel like him) but at the same time I guess the show became his own therapy of sorts, and I'm glad it makes him so happy.

I only bring this up cause he actually loves the ending, and with him being such a die-hard fan you'd think it'd be the opposite. You'd think he'd want closure with characters that he cares so much for, but maybe the open-endedness of it all gives him hope.

or maybe he hopes someone will come in while he's eating and brains him someday idk

>No. You fell for the "you don't hear it coming" meme, like countless other plebs.
david chase even said he was dead not to mention other evidences

I'd love to get my dad to watch it, though it'd be embarrassing for me to know he's watching AJ in the later seasons and seeing how similar he is to me.

>implying anti-climaxes, bait and switches, and ambiguity aren't series staples

>with him being such a die-hard fan you'd think it'd be the opposite. You'd think he'd want closure with characters that he cares so much for,

Holy shit, you really haven't watched the show have you. There are several characters/plotlines with very unsatisfying closure in the show, because that is life. "It won't be cinematic"

Anyone who says they don't like the ending is beyond pleb, they are turbo pleb. Its quite literally the best ending to a television series ever.

you should do it, it could be fun anyway
>Holy shit, you really haven't watched the show have you.
I mean yeah I said so in the post itself lol but the next time I'm at his place I hope to catch more episodes with him. I'll let him know he's got patrician taste, maybe that'll cheer him up.

why don't you just watch the show you pleb. It's the uncontested GOAT.

He flipped

poorfag, and the streaming sites that i know all have broken links.

besides i'd like that chance to bond with him, and watching his favorite show with him in the same room is the least I could do

The show is better on every subsequent watch. I watch it once every few years.

Discussed this with my dad last weekend. I need to watch the show to confirm if this conversation he mentioned actually took place.
Essentially, he is of the opinion that Tony dies. Apparently, earlier in the show Tony and Bobby were talking about death, and how it just comes out of nowhere. You're done, you're dead, everything just ends like that. He also referenced the killing of Phil, he was just standing there about to get gas and then he's dead. Everything went black for him. My dad is also of the opinion that the hit was already paid for in full and in motion, it didn't matter if Phil was dead or not, or that his crew was going to sell him out. The hit was already happening at that point, and Tony was done for.
If this conversation actually did take place that he mentioned, I'd be inclined to agree with him.

Yes Tony and Bobby have that conversation. There is no definitive ending to the Sopranos, on purpose.

See What happened to the Russian?

Did Ralphie kill Pie-O-My?

Was Jimmy Alterri also a rat?

is tony a sociopath, or just a normal guy in extreme circumstances?

You guys, it doesn't matter if he dies. The series doesn't end with Tony getting shot for a reason. It ends with him having a meal with his embattled family for a reason. It's a comment on the nature of narrative by David Chase. Look up interviews with him, he's fucking crazy. The Sopranos is the most brilliant show of all time because the ending feels like a beginning. Stop arguing about what happens after it goes black. That's the end for a reason.

You're a retard and I hope you die tomorrow.

>not watching it every single winter
>not staying indoors on the coldest/snowiest days and marathoning the comfiest show of all time
>not starting every year with the sopranos

I'm aware there is no definitive ending, and the point of that is to speculate.

I don't want to spoil it. I've seen it all through like 6 times already and the last episode didn't even air a decade ago, that's not counting rewatches when the show was airing

>What happened to the Russian?
david chase has confirmed that he survived
he ran into boyscouts and one of them had a cell phone
russian guy used it and left jersey
>Did Ralphie kill Pie-O-My?
obviously
>Was Jimmy Alterri also a rat?
more than likely, open your eyes
>is tony a sociopath, or just a normal guy in extreme circumstances?
normal, edgy like his angsty teenaged son, but normal

>What happened to the Russian?
Oh fuck I totally forgot about him

He shit in the shower

Why did Tony hate the bartender at their strip club so much?

because he was a dumbass

tony hates stupid people

Yes. The guy in the Member's Only jacket killed him dead. That's it. That's how it ended. And it's good.

It was a different jacket and those guys were fbi not hit men you could tell by the nigger

Breaking Bad is better

>Paulie's actor was an actual mobster who got arrested 28 times
God damn

Not really.

this
i feel like the writers were just trying to remind the audience that tony isnt someone youre supposed to like and relate to
hes supposed to rub you the wrong way with what he does and what he thinks because in all actuallity hes the bad man
the thing is the audience always rooted for tony and thats not what david chase wanted in the end

him saying "'Remember when' is the lowest form of conversation." was just trying to illustrate and emphasize how much of an asshole tony is and how you wouldnt even really get along with him, even more so now since hes turning into a curmudgeon like junior was until he sadly forgot who he was in the old folks home

why would the fbi kill him?

and it was a grey members only jacket
the same one in the episode titled "members only"
it was an unrelated revenge killing that had nothing to do with "our thing"
the guy who killed him was "unconnected" and the brother of the guy who hangs himself in that very same jacket

>those guys were fbi
wot

No. It's not. But it's not bad.

some people argued that we were just shown a glipmse into tony's life. we weren't shown before he became a capo, we weren't shown his entire life.

we had a view into his life and at that instant we no longer get that view. nothing happened, its just the end of the audiences view into tony's life.

thats just one theory i've read.

also one similar is the fact that its supposed to show how he's gonna be looking over his shoulder for the rest of his life. he flinches everytime the door rings and someone comes in. thats the last few minutes we get to see, how he now has to live his life.

Breaking Bad is a fantastic watch the first time around. The second time you watch it it's only above average. Sopranos is great because it only gets better the more you watch it.

Even worse, Steven van Zandt actually looks like that in real life. Just without the hair.

why wouldn't the show just start in the middle of a sentence too?