So I was on reddit earlier today and people were claiming that Nujabes was an obscure artist because if you were to go...

So I was on reddit earlier today and people were claiming that Nujabes was an obscure artist because if you were to go out in the street and ask random people, most wouldn't know who he is. I thought this was kind of odd since I would consider him to be one of the most well known instrumental hip hop producers of all time.

What do you feel qualifies something as obscure? Can something be unknown to the general populace and still be considered non-obscure? Take Franz Schubert for example, your average joe probably wouldn't know who he is sadly despite his historical reputation. Does this mean Schubert should also be considered obscure like Nujabes?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/7cv2f0/whats_a_1010_album_from_the_last_15_years_by_a/
medium.com/@JamesTheFruit2/netstream-vs-mainstream-how-the-internet-created-a-new-breed-of-lamestreamers-ee5a45dbe9c3
rbt.asia/mu/thread/75871678/#75876969
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>So I was on reddit earlier today

>So I was on reddit earlier today
Stopped reading there

wew lad

if you're not interested in music then you're not gonna know who nujabes is

normies on the street just don't know shit about anything.

How many Nujabes fans went straight from "24/7 Dubstep Gaming Mix" to him?

idk but nujabes is p comfy on a rainy saturday morning

There's more of them now, but he already was the Samurai Champloo guy for years.

you're gay

but no nujabes isn't that obscure in the hip hop community. he's probably the second most well known instrumental producer behind j dilla. a lot of people know about him from samurai champloo and adult swim bumps.

>24/7 Dubstep Gaming Mix
you are very clearly coming from baby's first meme thread on Sup Forums

Obscurity is a relative concept which can shift meanings depending on whatever light a person wants to show something in. It's pretty much a useless description without establishing guidelines for it first.

Reddit is mostly retarded people. You must go back.
It's all relative. House hold names for me aren't house hold names for most people I know except people who know where I'm coming from musically. There are few exceptions, those exceptions being massive world bands like Pearl Jam, Metallica, etc people who can sell out arenas on any continent in the world. Anything outside of that is relatively obscure. None of you fucking faggots here know about mike mitchell, ben hixon, jon bap, rc williams, cleon edwards, etc but those dudes have played and worked with people who are world wide stars and have very interesting music of their own but you have to want to know about these people. Plebbitors, generally speaking, aren't into music as much as musicians who put in work. That meme of "music is lyfe red hot chili peppers, radio head, the list goes on" exists because (I think) everyone wants to feel knowledgeable in something they enjoy. The internet is pretty much a battleground for people to one up each other on knowledge of whatever subject is at hand. Niggas wanna feel special cause most niggas ain't.

The average joe doesn't even know who Max Martin is, even though they have listened to his songs' a billion times

I feel as if there are layers to obscurity that are relative to each person's knowledge on a subject. Take for example, YouTubers. To the average person, they wouldn't know anything about PewDiePie, even though he's by far the most popular one on the entire culture. However, unless you actively follow the site and content creators, you would be lucky to recognize him so much as scarcely know about him. However, to people who actively follow the most prevalent YouTubers, aka. the top echelon/most subscribed, they might not have heard of other gaming YouTubers besides PewDiePie, for example, Chuggaaconroy (my favorite YouTuber, check him out if you can). In that case, unless you actively follow gaming/Let's Play culture, you couldn't name a single game he's played at all. Of course, if you did, you'd know him quite well. At first, I thought since YouTube was the most popular website on the internet, Normies would identify who PewDiePie is easily. But aside from me, not a single person I know pays attention to, or cares a bit about him. I guess it just depends on an individual's knowledge, as aforementioned.

when does the reddit hate end

Sup Forums is at least the same amount of retard

reddit is far worse. Sup Forums knows they're full of retards and neckbeards. reddit thinks they're legitimately intellectuals and cool.

Fuck off nigger

Is there literally any rapper or producer that has credited Nujabes as an influence?

>reddit is far worse. Sup Forums knows they're full of retards and neckbeards. reddit thinks they're legitimately intellectuals and cool.
debatable, at least reddit isn't as much of a cesspool that they get a rise out of shitposting

kill yourself mouthbreather

>at least reddit isn't as much of a cesspool that they get a rise out of shitposting
go back and fuck off

That thread's highest upvoted options were great though bar Nujabes. Not a lot of names you see on Sup Forums in that thread. Due to Sup Forums's memey nature, spots on Reddit especially like Listen To This are far better for finding truly new stuff.

reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/7cv2f0/whats_a_1010_album_from_the_last_15_years_by_a/

>defending Reddit
Why are you even here? Go be functional in society somewhere else, you insufferable outsider.

>go back and fuck off
how about you fuck off from my Sup Forums you spastic?

you mad lol

Found the redditor

Is your IQ high enough to comprehend Rick and Morty

>Reddit thinks they're legitimately intellectuals and cool

I concur.
This fits the description of redditors I've met in real life. They also must mention they browse reddit. I can't think of one person who didn't lack self awareness.

i don't even browse reddit other for when google links me to something i'm looking for

i'm just saying it's not as bad as to suffer the retarded memery it gets from Sup Forums

apply yourself and direct your hatred to something that actually deserves it, retards

getting this mad about muh secret Sup Forums club

We get it, you're reddit. Kill yourself

rick and morty memes are stale as hell

/r/dankmemes ran that shit into the ground a month ago

found the brainlet

This whole thread is Sup Forums soyboys getting trigggered hard by literal redditors. How embarrassing.

fuck off back to r3ddit loser. i bet you get downvoted everytime upost
you will die alone and nobody cares about you. i get the last laugh anyway

>defending reddit

Have you ever actually read reddit comments on the default subreddits

The le atheist fedora meme didn't come from nowhere.

but you are the living garbage user, you should kill yourself

anyone that cares about Sup Forums vs reddit is either severely autistic or underaged

>anyone that cares about Sup Forums vs reddit is either severely autistic or underaged
good job describing yourself

you sure seem to care with all your reddit defending

max martin and a handful of guys writes 99% of all the music on the radio
it's quite sad.

>Have you ever actually read reddit comments on the default subreddits
>The le atheist fedora meme didn't come from nowhere.

well no, for the same reason i don't usually browse dumb shit like Sup Forums or Sup Forums

>it's quite sad.
how? its just like irl
a handful of guys run the world and control the banks

and that isn't sad?

humanity is sad and people are sheep.
sun can't come soon enough.

shh the goyim can't know

caring about what retards post on Sup Forums =/= caring about if Sup Forums or reddit is better

haha you sure went meta on me there! top memery my brainletfriends!

for all that you are blaming me for defending reddit you sure seem retarded enough to fit into the reddit crowd unless you are gonna pull out your "i was just pretending to be retarded" card now

nope. only a few ppl in math class will score 100's
thats how life is. the best come up on top and the rest struggle for scraps

And my post is still the best out of all of you idiots. I actually addressed the OP's question without insulting him or others.

Read and take notes on what it means to write a decent response, normies. This is a patrician post. ()

pathetic.

>tfw enjoy both reddit and Sup Forums

feels good

carles did a better job on what u described yrs ago dumbass
medium.com/@JamesTheFruit2/netstream-vs-mainstream-how-the-internet-created-a-new-breed-of-lamestreamers-ee5a45dbe9c3

upvoted!

wow it's almost like everything is relative right????

fucking retards, why was this thread made and why do you think you're so smart?

you are indeed, kill yourself

Yeah, and he’s super rich and well respected within the industry. I’m not shedding any tears for him.

>new sincerity

So fucking gross.

>you had to give yourself a (you)
That's the saddest thing this year

>tfw you're not getting enough (you)s so you reply to every post in the thread

pathetic.

imagine visiting a subreddit called r/dankmemes

>creating this fantasy to feel better about yourself

it goes both ways.
proof redditors lack self awareness.

Well maybe if you actually tried to read my post instead of glossing over it and arguing irrelevantly over some stupid posts, I wouldn't have to do that. And by the way, we patricians get ignored by Normies until they expose their fragility, and throw it into the wretched ground.

no you're just sad because no one gave you the attention you feel you deserve. much like people who make complex music feel entitled to be complimented on being complex. fuck off

wew

actual

pathetic

>for him
for the world.. but honestly i'm glad all humans will eventually die

great argument! upvoted! have a fine gold on me kind sir!

Give me one legitimate reason why you ignored my post. You all read the replies, yet you couldn't even just reply to mine "Wow, this is the least insightful post I've ever read. Kill yourself" or something? How could my post get ignored?

people aint gonna bother with long posts
are you new here or what

Same thread claimed Danny Brown, and MF Doom were obscure.

clearly
the kid is probably like 16.

pretty sure anybody under the age of 30 knows who pewdiepie is you fucking idiot

dude it['s a fucking Sup Forums post about nujabes. why do you care so much. you're not saying anything ground breaking you're just some sperg who puts too much effort into an anime forum

So how come he got a reply?
Just say my post was meaningless or beautifully insightful or something and move on!

If this was 2004, yep.

kill yourself. seriously

>30 years old and as autistic as a 16 year old lets play subscriber

::upthumb::

>So how come he got a reply?
the original post still doesn't have a reply though
fuck off

That's what I thought, too, until when I told all my friends about him, they were like, "What store do you get it from?"

Also, this thread too:
rbt.asia/mu/thread/75871678/#75876969

its easy if you try

I can't. Summit Cuicide has now been taken over by the emos, and their mascara and blood has flooded the entire mountain. Plus the cabin inside the book hates me, so I can't sleep inside. And plus, I don't feel worthy enough to die. What if death's such an amazing thing and I'll disgrace it by dying?

>Niggas wanna feel special cause most niggas ain't.
this is actually pretty true. and reddit is the epitome of this

>caring that you're not worthy of death

effeminate as hell.

Is that good?

Oh, heck no! I finally get replies only to be discarded as a bone from a fish?
THIS THREAD IS NOT OVER!!!!

The internet messes up your view of what's popular or not. I was talking with someone I used to work with and he likes Tom Waits so we were talking about him. I said he was a pretty well known musician but he didn't think so so he asked everyone that passed us if they had heard of him and nobody had. Obviously this depends on your area too though. But a lot of stuff that's popular for people on certain parts of the internet would probably have nobody know who they are if you just asked around on the street.

:^)

It an artist/group isn't on the Billboard Top 100, they're obscure

The reddit shit is pretty funny. Like 100% of you here will lurk reddit but then claim you don't and then trash people that do

I am the king of music, painting, sports, sex, politics, economics, cuisine, cinema, martial arts, botany, technology, biology, philosophy, chemistry, physics, and business. I am well versed and educated in all these subjects and succeed in everything I do. I have been blessed with an IQ of 198. By gracing you simpletons with my ruminations on the nature of contemporary society, I am gifting you with free brain food and intellectual nourishment. You should be reading my post and analyzing it as if it came from the pen of Plato himself. You should be on your knees and thanking me for the gift I have bestowed upon you if you have even the slightest logical inclination. I have a dearth of life experience and knowledge that people magnitudes older than me can only dream of acquiring. For my post to be ignored is incredibly disrespectful and in the end only hurting yourself. You are wasting time debating this topic, when the definitive answer has already been laid out several posts above you. If you bothered to read it, you'd be kissing my feet and begging for me to tell you more from my well of cognition.

Weirdly by that reddit definition Death Grips would be obscure.

I tried. If Facebook is your average, functioning, socially-successful friend, Reddit is that insufferable pseudo-intelectual that HAS to state how high is his or her moral ground and how "intellectual" he or she is.

Sup Forums is just a self-loathing guy that knows to not take himself too seriously

Also, le upboats are fucking cancer to the the max.

>even knowing what b talks about
Projecting

yeah humanity is garbage because people dont know the name of the guy who writes top 40 songs
calm down there shadow

Were you facetiously mocking my superior post? How dare you?!

you sound like a faggot

The average faggot is 90% more tolerable than an avid Reddit user.

Obscure to a certain degree, most people into hip hop are rarely into the production side of things.

I really really doubt that, If anything the most known is probably DJ Honda since he did the most outside work outside Japan. And hes still not that very well known. Anything outside of the US is really underground and has its entirely own scene. People forget its only recent music has become widely available and less exclusive.