Anyone do Arduino? Is it fun? Is it hard to learn? How long does it take from scratch to learn how to build a drone?

Anyone do Arduino? Is it fun? Is it hard to learn? How long does it take from scratch to learn how to build a drone?

Attached: arduino.jpg (670x496, 155K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertial_measurement_unit
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_speed_control
media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/O'Reilly_PDFs/Make_Drones_9781680451719.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There are easier and better flight controllers to use than an ordinary arduino. Read the multicopter subreddit if people still go there, there will be dozens of good build threads.

Do you know how to program in C?

I did Arduino for a while. Was fun, I made a Gameboy. Simple to learn and easy to expand upon especially with things like technology will save us. Overall, 7/10 would recommend

no

do you know how to program?

not really. i learned a bit of Python a few years ago but by no means can I program anything on my own accord

i was hoping i could just like copy and paste different already-made codes to make a code to do what I want

this
and you will need to learn

I prefer the MSP430 launchpad, it's neat, comes on a very similar dev board as arduino, runs on 3v instead of 5v, and you can actually remove the the micro and easily run it on a breadboard/perfboard. Also you can program new msp430s on it without them needing to have a bootloader

To build a drone? Maybe half a day.

To actually learn? It's not that hard. It would be somewhere around a month depending on how much time you give it everyday

phyton is scripting
but it is someting, i recomend you to learn "basic" or "C"
arduino is relatively easy to learn
im a web developer and my dad do arduino, sometimes he ask me about the logic of the program he is writing

its fun OP if you want to learn to code and you like lots of problems you dont understand.

If you wanna make a drone, ardunio is not the place to start - get a PXhawk and work from there.

If you want to learn to make arduino projects, start with something that doesnt fly

If you really wanna try a drone on ardunio it will take you about 5 months to get it all to work, and will cost about 200-400 AUD

If thats the path you want start with this:

Sensors - what you need and what is nice to have
Required
A small computer
An Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) or an accelerometer and a gyroscope
A transmitter/receiver (RF, Bluetooth or WiFi)
Global positioning satellite receiver (GPS Chip)
Camera
Thermal sensor
LiDar
Sonar
Infrared sensor

Getting it all to work together
Power
Weight
Space
Replaceability
Production line considerations

Attached: 2018-03-17 18_40_01-beeOs - understanding drones - v1.1 - Google Slides.png (470x536, 25K)

part 2

Other things you will need to learn:

What controls all this - IMU and ESC
An inertial measurement unit works by detecting linear acceleration using one or more accelerometers and rotational rate using one or more gyroscopes. Some also include a magnetometer which is commonly used as a heading reference. Typical configurations contain one accelerometer, gyro, and magnetometer per axis for each of the three vehicle axes: pitch, roll and yaw.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertial_measurement_unit
An electronic speed control or ESC is an electronic circuit that controls and regulates the speed of an electric motor. Forward motion is achieved by driving the aft (back) props faster than the forward props. Sideways motion is achieved by running the left or right props faster. 'Rudder' movements (yaw), (turning left or right) are again achieved by slowing or speeding individual motors.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_speed_control

Attached: 2018-03-17 18_39_49-beeOs - understanding drones - v1.1 - Google Slides.png (559x461, 94K)

part 3

The math - quaternions
Quaternions are generally represented in the form:
a + bi + cj + dk
where a, b, c, and d are real numbers, and i, j, and k are the fundamental quaternion units.

Quaternions are used in calculations involving three-dimensional rotations such as in three-dimensional computer graphics and computer vision.
In drones, they are used to calculate pitch yaw and roll as the drone flys.

The math - SUVAT
kinematic motion is derived from the positions of objects, and time.
In circumstances of constant acceleration, these equations of motion are usually referred to as the SUVAT equations, arising from the definitions of kinematic quantities: displacement (s), initial velocity (u), final velocity (v), acceleration (a), and time (t).

Attached: 2018-03-17 18_40_11-beeOs - understanding drones - v1.1 - Google Slides.png (571x432, 64K)

finally you'll wanna start getting into the drone itself:

media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/O'Reilly_PDFs/Make_Drones_9781680451719.pdf

btw, the first setup is hard if you dont know thing like port on your computer, dowload the compiler and the program to transfer your compiled code to the arduino, but, everything can be learned from youtube, the is a lot o tutorials for beginers

interpreted languages are not always used to make scripts

Part 5

This is all just the framwork of shit you will have to learn OP.

You still will need to go google everything I just posted.

Attached: 1511044377394.jpg (1280x1024, 219K)

Take a look to ArduPilot, it is a drone based board , at the source files you can have an idea of how they achieved to control drones

Also is based on arduino

>anyone do arduino?
yes
>is it fun
yes
>is it hard?
depends what you're doing, it's a fucking tool
>how long does it take to learn how to build a drone?
How stupid are you from 1-10? if x>5 then it might take you a while

Attached: bullet_model.jpg (1106x556, 51K)

As I said if you just want to build a drone, Google just Google it. There will be an instructable or wikihow page that'll tell you exactly which parts to buy, which wire to connect where, they'll give the whole code and teach you how to dump it onto arduino and what softwares to use and from where to download.

But if you really want to learn arduino and continue making your own projects in future, start by first learning some basic programming language like C. Then go into arduino. It'll take you around to a month.

do i need to be proficient at C or just know the basics/beginner level?

It's not C as a language but just the basic programming flow and how to think in that way. Other than that you can just learn some basic functions and a reading about a few functions that you'll need in your code. Like for statements, sorting, etc. I would tell you to learn data structures or Java as well but it's not really necessary if you just want to build a drone and be done with it.

There are many ways to program an arduino, but the c/c++ is the default, I suggest to learn to program in C as you learn how an arduino operates, there are tons of tutorials and this technique usualy helps to a better assimilation

does it use C or C++ ?

C++, but you can use C code in C++

Well is something similar to C++, due to the compatibility of the compiler

the best thing about an Arduino is that, with the right additions, it can be whatever project you need it to be. It's not hard to learn (10% code, 90% copypaste) and I enjoy doing it, if that means anything.

but the objects in C are painful. i hate pointers to functions

not that hard. a lot of the programming comes with the program

Pointers are not usually needed but they are pretty handy and required to achieve processing times near real time (for a drone you should consider this)