Sup Forums on Campus Carry

What are your thoughts on campus carry? Is it worth it for the students?

As a student, I would love campus carry and I don't know why it's taking so long to become a thing.

Why so? Wouldn't it make you uncomfortable knowing that everyone has a weapon ?

Georgia has pretty much the best gun laws in the nation and we even shot it down for some reason. For muh feels. It's retarded, I'm not sure why children/collegekids have less right to defend themselves... Especially with the number of psychotic liberals in schools these days. Also see muh gun free zones

I guess it can go both ways, can't it? It allows more violence to occur with the number of guns on campus increasing, but it can also allow the more violence to end with the same reason.

It could... but it wouldn't. See VA tech or any other school shooting. Only thing that stops a madman with a gun is a saneman with a gun. In a perfect world we wouldn't need guns, but this isn't a perfect world if you haven't noticed. I do feel that younger people are less responsible but have just as much right to defend themselves as anyone else anywhere else. But that's just me, and opinions are like assholes.

You can always just do it illegally as long as you keep it well hidden and never say shit about it. Just have to be more careful than you normally would.

Pretty cool

I don't have the interest to do it myself, even though I have a pretty great 1911. It would just be another thing to keep track of, and I'm more concerned with doing well in school than the negligible chance of getting attacked on campus.

Still think campus carry should be allowed though

I can empathize with the arguments in favor of it, but I just can't trust all of my fellow citizens that much. I know a lot of really responsible, stand-up people who own hand-guns and concealed carry. I also know a lot of fucking morons who do the same. I'm not worried so much about a crazy person carrying under the aegis of one of these laws, more about some idiot mishandling their weapon or shooting somebody else when they are trying to stop something.

If I could get some assurance that people carrying on campus knew what they were doing I'd be all for it.

This.

There are as many morons with guns as there are sane individuals. That's what worries me about campus carry.

SO you'd rather everyone be unprotected like VA tech than the remote possibility of a negligent discharge? This is exactly the problem with america right now, pussies giving up freedoms because "they're dangerous". Fuck that. It's insanity to think you can legislate safety. At some point you have to take responsibility for your self and not leave it up to someone else.

What part of SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED don't you understand?

In my state you need something like 16 hours of training and professional instruction to be granted a CC permit.

On top of that, holding a CC permit makes you liable for way more criminal damages if you actually fuck up. Having a gun and a permit to carry is a huge responsibility, and 99% of people who actually goes through with it are way more concerned with that gun being mishandled than you are. This idea that suddenly gunfights will break out in the streets is completely fabricated.

I could see some shit going down with some white middle class kid getting shot for trying to grab someones gun because he's been so sheltered he thought he could "protest" by grabbing some evil right wing bigots gun and then there would be a media shitstorm. Colleges need reformations before campus carry.

Negligent discharges are rarer than rare. There are more reported from police officers than from law abiding citizens. It's insanity to say someone shouldn't be allowed to carry because of a 1 in 10 million chance that someone might ND. It's pure stupidity. And as nice and PC as it sounds to require training, that's stupid too. More red tape for the government to tell you no you can't exercise an unalienable right. I'd gladly sit shoulder to shoulder with untrained women who carry in an honest attempt to protect themselves than I would well trained dictasters who think they're rambo.

What state would that be in, just curious?

I don't agree with all the hoops I have to go through, I'm just saying that OP is completely unaware of the reality of what carrying is. I go to a uni that had a major shooting not long ago and now has gun free zone stickers on every building.

Illinois

>I'd gladly sit shoulder to shoulder with untrained women who carry in an honest attempt to protect themselves than I would well trained dictasters who think they're rambo.
Both sound dangerous to be next to. Thing is that firearms training is correlated with gun safety. More people are buying handguns for carry permits and are attending classes. Child firearms deaths have been decreasing sharply due to more owners locking up their guns with kids in the house or teaching their kids proper respect of the guns. I think that incentivising firearms classes for carrying and purchase is vital in order to continue these trends.

If a campus is private property, you must abide by the owners rules.

If it is public property, SHALL

Letting every student walk around with concealed weapons is a stupid idea.

I'd support giving staff and faculty the option to CC though.

A lot of people I know don't treat guns with the respect they deserve, nor do they understand what a big deal it is to carry and use a weapon in self-defense or defense of others.

I have a hard time being comfortable with everyone CCing on campus when half of the people I know get drunk and want to show off their guns and/or boast about how they would kill someone for taking their television.

The reason I don't have a handgun (I do have a couple guns for hunting but I keep them at our camp) is because I am not sure that I could kill somebody. Maybe that will change when I have a family.

You don't have to take a separate class for concealed carry in my state. It's 8 hours and you can do whatever. And you only need a 70% score to pass the class.

Not everyone has a weapon you stupid faggot. In Tejas you must be granted a permit before you can carry legally and you must be 21 to even apply for said permit.

>Wouldn't it make you uncomfortable knowing that everyone has a weapon ?

Misinformation like this is WHY campus carry isn't more of a "thing."

Granting people to carry on campus simply allows the people that already have carry permits to retain their rights on the school's property. They have already gone through whatever requirements the state mandated for concealed carry.

It doesn't mean that everyone walking onto the property can suddenly carry a gun when they couldn't otherwise.

There would be no more people carrying on campus than carry anywhere else.

Unless you are forced to use it to save a life and are brought off school property in handcuffs

I've always wondered how that would play out.
"Student takes down muslim extremist using his concealed weapon"
One student injured.
Terrorist carrying pipe bombs and 10 30-round magazines
Hero arrested for legally CC in Gun-Free zone

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six brother.

Why would it make me uncomfortable? I'm not a nigger looking to rob people so I have nothing to fear from upstanding citizens carrying weaponry.

das a gud quote man

Ok, but you realize that there are other niggers that do want to rob people.

Niggers are much less likely to rob when their victim may be armed. Niggers are cowards.

Look at this informed user. You're a great American.

I fancy it myself. It rings true though, and if worse comes to worse I'd rather make friends with cons than with earthworms.