If aliens ever show up here is it safe to assume that they’re automatically benevolent?

If aliens ever show up here is it safe to assume that they’re automatically benevolent?

Attached: B840ABFD-62A5-4F7B-97A3-F81FC1EE3DB2.jpg (1600x900, 74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=igZi4iyJiq0&list=PLIIOUpOge0Lu97HzMt_BJu36UMaItB1cm&index=2
youtube.com/channel/UCZFipeZtQM5CKUjx6grh54g
soundcloud.com/milkyfriend/allnight
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boötes_void
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No. Never assume anything. However chances are we won't be able to communicate and we will try and attack them since we are stupid monkeys.

youtube.com/watch?v=igZi4iyJiq0&list=PLIIOUpOge0Lu97HzMt_BJu36UMaItB1cm&index=2

If you like contemplating that sort of thing, you will binge watch every one of this guys videos.

If they have the science and technology to reach us, the only thing that they may appreciate from us is species specific culture.

I think the most interesting thing they would like about us would be music, but they don't need to interact with us to get it, we broadcast that shit for free into the universe.

Beyond unique cultural interests, we'd be totally inferior to them. Like that clip of the helicopter flying over that tribe in the amazon and the tribe are trying to shoot i down with bows.

If there is a galactic 'community' i think we are a long ways off being able to participate in it.

Attached: 1519016627417.gif (500x401, 1.66M)

have to agree with this. However, it would depend on where they landed. In the UK or canada, they might have a chance. If they land on the orange assclown's lawn, you'll have one bunch of idiots trying to kill them, and the other lot trying to force their god on them

The only assumption you can make is that they will be so much more advanced than us to even be able to reach earth, that they will be able to do anything they want to us and we wouldn't be able to do shot about it. Think American Indians and settlers, Aztecs and the Spaniards. Things didn't go so well with those groups.

It's safe to assume they are stupid or evil. As no sane or peaceful alien would ever come to this backwards hatred driven world.

Attached: .shima.rin.yurucamp..jpg (300x279, 24K)

>we broadcast that shit for free into the universe.
and as of now, the earliest signal has only just left our galaxy. This is why I know we'll never make contact with any other civilisation in the universe - we're too far apart from anyone to know where anyone else actually is - in real time at least

Better they land in the US than the UK. We might have Christians, but you hapless retards have Muslims. We'll try to convert them; you'll deem them haram and blow yourselves up.

If they ever show up and try to invade us, they wouldn't need to even attempt to invade because we would completely destroy ourselves already due to panic and shit.

There is quite a high chance that we are the only advanced civilization in our galaxy. Possibly the only one in the universe although that is less likely. If there are advanced civilizations out there, they should be relatively easy to spot and we have seen no evidence of them.

Look up the Drake equation.

More people get killed by donkeys every year then by religious fanatics, moron

cringe

source on that lol. ISIS exist you know.

Donkeys don't scream at you and try to remove your clitoris before they kill you, though.

You literally cannot defend the sand niggers that have pervaded your country. It's a waste of time to justify that monstrous lack of common sense.

How do you know that they aren't already here?
and they are probably not benevolent no matter what they claim

You, sir, are a raging faggot.

Attached: Deus_Vult_Trump.jpg (690x875, 91K)

Lol not even close dude... maybe 200 light years tops. Our radio signals have only reached the closest stars

The assumption that they would need to attack us if they have the science & technology to reach us is ridiculous though.

Earth's resources aren't rare in the universe. The most unique thing about earth is it's life and the atmosphere it has to support that life.

Our planet is actually very small. They'd cordon us off and check on us every hundred years until we either become a civilised species or we wiped each other out entirely. We are still a part of nature.

An alien civilization capable of traveling between solar systems perhaps even galaxies, comes to a planet where the inhabitants are at war with each other, exploits resources without thinking of consequences and most of them believe in multiple imaginary beings. Its safe to say they dont come here to learn from us.

The only reasons they came to us specifically could be to study us biologically or culturally, trade resources.

But if you consider the technology they have used to get here, they might aswell do the above forcefully.
Only if they have morality would they come peacefully.

and you think that shit happens in the UK? You're a fucking moron

Yeah, rough estimate, but no, the nearest star is about 300,000 light years away and we've only been transmitting for less than 100. Taking signal degradation into account, by the time anyone manages to pick on our signals our civilisation will be long fucking gone.

>and as of now, the earliest signal has only just left our galaxy.
It really hasn't. At all.

Attached: radio_broadcasts.jpg (2795x2795, 1.94M)

This. If they can cross galaxies in a reasonable period of time (meaning, not millions of years, which basically means they've figured out how to break physics) then they don't NEED to invade us. One of their children's toys could probably exterminate every last one of us ridiculous, self-destructive apes.

Well we do have the largest dihydroxymonoxide supply for light years around.

The nearest star is just over 4 light years away.

Are you being dumb on purpose?

Probably meant solar system, but I concur. no-one knows we're here, and the universe is a pretty big place to just guess what direction to aim our interstellar craft at

literally the plot of this movie

One would think that in order to create technology capable of interstellar travel that would require a degree of morality in order to create a stable environment where such technology can be developed in the first place.

This is not to say we shouldn't be concerned about their motives regarding us, just that they are probably stable enough as a species to work together to create such technology.

Actually, it's 8 light minutes away

Et tu?

Dude no.
have you seen saturns moon?
It has more water than earth. Sure it's frozen but I think aliens can heat that shit up.

Rekt

They'd be so incredibly far advanced above us technologically, and perhaps even biologically, that it's highly likely they'd view the difference between themselves & us as we view the difference between ourselves & every other species on this planet; not anywhere near on the same level & completely expendable at their whim with little to no guilt, to serve their needs, to make room for themselves, just cause they feel like it. Better hope they don't discover some part of us that allows them to make any money, or we'll get factory farmed.

I am sure he meant neighboring star. Why the fuck do you all have to be so literal?

harvesting the earth for water is literally retarded.
Hydrogen and oxygen can be found in 100x greate quantity in any gas giant.

Extremely naive. As are many other answers here. It is estimated that even at travel no faster than 1/10th light speed, a species capable of interstellar travel could colonise every solar system in the galaxy in 1-2 million years. The competition for resources would be immense if there were other species. The best option for an already advanced species would be to wipe out any other species capable of competing.

Lol no.

Let's say our spinal fluid increases their expected life span. How long does it take for them to harvest us into extinction?

The biggest stumbling block we have with our current space-faring craft is that the vast majority of fuel is used up just getting us out of the atmosphere. If we sould completely refuel in zero-G we could go fucking anywhere, but it would be a generations-long journey - with no guarantee of success

Even then they're not right. Radio waves travel at the speed of light, being a form of electromagnetic radiation, so our radio transmissions would have exited the solar system within 2 years.

Okay, the nearest star that isn't The Sun.

Pointless, unless they can live on a fucking star; in which case we're fucked regardless.

Attached: Fuck off space niggers.jpg (1024x986, 227K)

If aliens show at a point in time where we wouldn't be able to return the technological favour, it would be scary and intimidating, yes. But why would why should we instantly assume they are malevolent. I think space travel, or any technology for that manner, is the fruit of curiosity; if there are enough resources on a planet to source a space exploration program, there are enough resources to facilitate survival without having to leave the planet due to fuels or foods running out (i.e. the alien scavengers scenario).

We as humans study the most insignificant, tiny and obscure organisms with the utmost interest and benevolence and upon the mere suspicion of intelligence in other species we cater to the rights and ethical aspects of said organism. Think about a future in which humans have achieved commercial space travel, interstellar travel even. I'm sure you imagined a sci-fi utopia in which crime, isms, whatever buzzword you find should be rid of the world, is abolished. Why wouldn't the same scenario hold true for alien civilizations?

>inb4 ayylmao

They're probably just as jaded as everyone else, just looking for something new to get their minds off their shitty existence for a while.

The fact that we are here is a good sign that this isnt happening. Because any civilization that had its mind set on sterilizing the galaxy would have already been done with that process, and we would never have had a chance to sit here and have this conversation.

They'd have to be pretty stupid to not find a way to just synthesise that shit.
Way more efficient than harvesting.

i personally believe that if we ever get out there we will either find the remnants of a galactic civilisation from millions of years ago or we will be the first.

>harvest us into extinction?
They'd never, ever let us go extinct; especially with a use of that magnitude. We've not extincted pigs, chickens, or cattle, and our fat asses eat those.

Um that's not what i'm talking about?

>Arguing on Sup Forums

Attached: 1521313852070m.jpg (1024x725, 86K)

If that is the case, we've already lost, being aware of our impending doom would change nothing.

Your assumption is meaningless. Better to assume that a far advanced space faring civilisation isn't a death machine hell bent on destroying all life than to wrongly assume it is, not like we could offer up any meaningful resistance anyway.

What if we came here from another planet?

That depends on when they started, how efficient they are, how many other life forms there are and whether or not they have some form of FTL.

If they don't have FTL, good fucking luck getting any kind of sterilisation done.

Ok, so almost everyone posting in this thread has really no idea what they are talking about.
Watch everyone of the videos this guy has made youtube.com/channel/UCZFipeZtQM5CKUjx6grh54g
He is actually educated in such things and explains in great detail, the ins and outs of them all. Odds are that we are the only advanced civilization in our galaxy.

The universe could have millions to billions of intelligent, advanced species; but it probably works out to average like one per galaxy naturally anyway. In that case, one of them having tech to jump from one galaxy to another; we're SUPER fucked.

>He was behind of it...

Attached: d2v5i7eo2w9i2544504000000.jpg (473x610, 26K)

Kind of is. Rockets are fuelled by hydrogen, which is why everyone got really excited by the prospect of there being water on the moon. It is possible to synthesise rocket fuel from ice, so ideas were being thrown about for a refuelling station on the moon. Almost started happening until Bush fucked up the economy with a couple of wars

I'm not a big believer in super-intelligent life elsewhere in the universe. The way I see it, there are two options:

1. There is no super-intelligent life in the universe (meaning life with technology far surpassing our own by many, many factors)

2. There is super-intelligent life with advanced technology, but even their technology is bound by the laws of physics and the universe is just too goddamned big for even the most advanced tech to navigate it at a reasonable speed

>He is actually educated in such things
>less subscribers than RedLetterMedia

No, it actually points more to the fact that we are alone in the galaxy. Societies more advanced than ours should be very easy for us to spot in our galaxy. We will be the one wiping out others some day.

>efficient
But what would the CHEAPEST method end up being?
That's the first question humans usually ask.

If they are advanced enough to master interstellar travel, they are so far ahead of us that it really doesn't matter what their intentions are. There is nothing we would be able to do about it either way. Whatever happens would happen exactly how they want it to.

Yes. If they are not benevolent, they wouldn't bother showing up. They would just release some virus or plague to wipe us out and they'd come down for the cleanup.

Point 2

Fucking bingo, sir

it is very safe to assume that they have developed some pretty dank space weed

soundcloud.com/milkyfriend/allnight

Attached: andygorehol.jpg (500x667, 81K)

Yes, number of subscibers equals level of education, we all know that. Moron.

See Pewdiepie for verification

nignogs/muslims or ching chongs are going to ruin it

Just build a bunker like in the movie 10 Cloverfield Lane.

The nearest star to our solar system is 4-5 light years.

Bold and silly statement.
Our galaxy is some 100000 lightyears. Take the written history of ours which is like 3-4000years, which equates to a fraction of the distance light/radio waves travel in the galaxy. We are seeing the other side of the universe that was 100000years old. In short we havent lived long enough to see anything or to deduct "we are the only one"
And in the statistical sense, we are the only known sample in the entire universe. Following this logic: if you roll a dice and you get a 6, you would state "you can only roll 6 with this dice"
Also:

We can only assume anything based on the nature of the one intelligent, most advanced species we know to exist. And I'd feel hella bad for any less advanced alien species they came across, as they're right cunts about most everything.

Let's say i dont have FTL. Which no one does. And no one can have. If you are interested in why this is i can explain it to you.

The milky way is about 100k light years across. Let's say that my probes arrive in a star system. Deploy, harvest, make more probes. Extinguish the star, pack all the gasses and metals into 'neat boxes' and take off for other star systems. Let's say this process takes 10,000 years per star system.

The first one is 10k years, i can go .8 the speed of light. The next ones are 10k years... my expansion is geometric... keep in mind. My replication time would be about 30 cycles of 10k years. 300,000 years. my flight time is 200k years. In half a million years the galaxy is sterilized.

half a million is nothing in the history of the universe.

Or that your assumption of a space faring civilisation that wants to cleanse our planet of life simply doesn't exist.

>We already know life is rare
>hey look a blue marble
>oh this one has life on it!
>"squibblglark, how many jumps has it been since we last found life?"
>"9874895763, we got lucky finally"
>time to load the cannons

We're an insignificant spec to them, it would be like humanity declaring war on ants. Why? what is the point. Only humans can come up with this shit.

I'm glad i'm a glarian.

This.

>If there are advanced civilizations out there, they should be relatively easy to spot and we have seen no evidence of them.

Reminder that we can't spot civilizations in real time - we can only spot the information that reaches us at the speed of light. There could easily be advanced societies out there at this moment but we won't observe the evidence for many years.

agreed. If you want a good laugh, look up this.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boötes_void

this, is humorously, exactly what atype 3 alien civilization would look like.

The hell we are. We just need to build tons of super devastating weapons.
Aliens will shit their pants seeing our 100 million nuclear warheads.
Destroying stuff on the molecular level will always be effective.

There's a few things we can reasonably assume if aliens were to visit us
A species that has developed space travel technology would naturally value cooperation to some extent. With cooperation comes diplomacy. Whether they'd see us as equals given the technological disparity and whether that would cause them to treat us differently is up for debate but at least we can be safely assured that no space-faring civilisation could reasonably have a shoot-first-ask-questions-second response to discovering new life in their universe.

Attached: 1521207778055.jpg (1000x581, 111K)

You can't sterilise a galaxy on the cheap.

The "cheapest" method would be to travel out randomly and then throw really big rocks at any inhabited planet you find.

The problem is that it would probably take hundreds if not thousands of years just to find a single planet with microbes on it and you'd probably never find one with actual sentient or sapient creatures using this method.

>The nearest star to our solar system is 4-5 light years.
Which can be observed, and judged to be with or without life.

We can look at our closest neighbouring solar systems and check the evidence in near-real time. If life was that close we'd have seen it by now. That hasn't happened. We need to look further afield, and that means looking back in time.

If the universe is infinite (which it is) then there is a 100% chance that however life formed on earth, it did the same elsewhere. people falsely assume the universe is finite and "expanding" because we can't see any farther because of technological limitations, but even if it weren't infinite, that's still a lot of chances.

If you have infinite chances at something, you'll get infinite results. if it's possible it WILL happen.
I would go as far as to say that there's multiple solar systems identical to our own, with a similar race of humans.
or if you want to follow to the logical conclusion, there is an infinite number of worlds in the universe that contain humans, that created the internet and created Sup Forums

>Why the fuck do you all have to be so literal?
autism of course

You don't only sterilize the whole galaxy 'on the cheap' it is in fact the most profitable thing you can do.

Every star that burns wastes your fuel.
Every planet left unharvested is a place where your competition can arise by chance.

not necessarily, you got your slavers, your capitalists, your resource-savagers, you got your colonials, you got your ... quick think like an alien, oh fuck I cannot.

What happens when we get in their way somehow, like many species are getting in our way here?
Not like we really give a fuck about their extinction if they're an inconvenience to us & our comfort.

So long as they're outside of our light cone, it doesn't matter.

This is also the reason there is and cannot be FTL travel.

AKA The Infinite Monkey Theorem.

Not bold, not silly. There are patterns that any advanced civilization almost has to go down. One is capturing the energy of stars with something like a Dyson swarm or Dyson sphere. These would be very easy to detect. The fact that we see no trace of efforts to harvest solar energy on a huge scale anywhere in the galaxy is almost definitive proof of a lack of advanced species other than ours existing.

If the x axis is distance. The Y axis is time.

People only focus on distance, they tend to ignore time.

Humanity has been here for a tiny blip in time, we'll likely expire within that blip.

Life will have formed but it needs to match our blip in time for it to matter. That is very very unlikely.

Right now the best we can hope for is that the Jim Webb telescope which is being launched by NASA next year will be able to detect the ingredients required for organic life as we know it in the atmosphere of exoplanets.

If the James Webb were able to confirm the existence of oxygen/nitrogen/CO2 in an exoplanet's atmosphere, it becomes more likely than not that organic life in some form exists on that planet

>the vast majority of fuel is used up just getting us out of the atmosphere
I get what you mean, but the atmosphere has very little to do with it. It's overcoming the earth's gravity and building up the velocity to park in orbit.

>he doesnt know the difference between arguing and discussing shit

Tiananmen Square protests of 1989

Obviously meant James Webb not Jim Webb here

That's fine, but you are assuming that this is somehow the norm. Even if humanity, and many other life forms, expire... all it takes is one or two that dont.

>people falsely assume the universe is finite and "expanding" because we can't see any farther because of technological limitations,
It is expanding. They measure the distance to the furthest measurable point, wait a couple of decades and measure it again. If the distance has increased, it's surmised the universe is exapnding.

>not my theory

>If aliens ever show up here is it safe to assume that they’re automatically benevolent?
no

>we threaten them with nukes
>they laugh at us & sterilize earth from several systems away with a fucking gamma ray burst
They'd likely be millions to billions of years ahead of us; we are fucking toddlers in the scheme of things.

You are aware that what we see now from the hubble at max magnification is light that has traveled many light years. Meaning that it is old news. Any developments that are current will not be seen by us for another several hundred years due to the time it takes the light from that moment to travel. So it could have happened that our nearest neighboring star just got wasted but we will not know for another 4 years.