Be me

>be me
>teaching someone to program in C#
>their "experience" includes javascript... some javascript. In other-words, no experience
>decide to rip an online college's complete class curriculum, including videos, course work, and powerpoints..
>halfway through fundamentals I give him some homework to make a program using what he's learned so far
>on discord, I jump on a game, tell him to ask if he has any questions
>one of his questions is "what's the hotkey to close parenthesis again?"
>me: "h..... hotkey...? uhh.. shift+0..."
>him: "uh.. nevermind"
>him: "okay this isn't really working te way I want it to"
>I finish the dungeon I'm in on this stupid MMO and he shares screen..
>dear god what the fuck am I looking at
>have him rar and send me his project, open and share my screen, from top to bottom I am able to correct about one in every 3 line
>rewrite everything in front of his eyes, cut his project from 327 lines to 112
>explain again everything I deleted and why, and everything I wrote, how I did it and why I did it
>he says he udnerstands
>I give him the new files and he opens them on his, we switch back to him sharing screen.
>tell him to add a method to do something specific
>fuck what did I get myself into..

Attached: codinglesson.png (1544x1061, 302K)

What did you expect, c# is for idiots

nah, as someone who used to be a die-hard C++ only professional code-monkey, who finally learned C# and converted, C# is beautiful.

You got yourself into teaching someone something they don't know. Idk what you're complaining about when you know he has little experience.

he's a 29 year old man who used to be very smart back in our high-school days... but I feel like I'm teaching a 5 year old calculus.

moral of the story: don't agree to teach anyone anything.

Some people are just incapable of programming. They can brute force their way through the studying but they will never truly "get" it. Then they'll flounder around the work force for years making the people that do get it live's hell, till they make a career change.

Replace "some" with"most"

>decide to rip an online college's complete class curriculum

Well do share links?

Why did you switch? its clear other languages have the upper hand depending on what you want to develop. But that cant be the reason you switch right?..

well, to sum it up, a certain office I was supposed to be heading in the future at a to-remain-unnamed-gaming-company that was going to open decided that the new office would focus on C#, and on windows/xbox/android-only developement, so if I were going to head it I would need to get certified for C#. That was enough motivation to finally sit down and learn it, so I did. While learning it I realized how sleek and beautiful it is compared to what I'm used to. The higher ups at the company ended up putting someone else in charge of the new office, but I'm glad I learned C# and have transferred to that office as a code-monkey, with a slight raise too!

no links, the college is just using some old ftp software that makes it really easy to authenticate without valid credentials, then I just downloaded it, and used it.

Uh, I wish I could learn more about computers. To me, they're very fascinating. I don't know shit about programs, or how shit works. I wish I did, though. I wish I could find someone like you that would teach me, or show me, or help me learn what "programming" is. I would go to college, but you have to take core classes, and I fucking hate paying for core classes, and wasting my time learning more math, and doing extra homework. I just want to learn how to be a computer wizard. What can I do to learn more, and not have to take more core classes?

Not OP but yeah... Spend time writing code.
Start with whatever language seems most intresting to you, it dosnt matter really, you just need to start somewhere. Then google for tutorials, learn the very basics.
After you have started to understand the bare minimum, setup some goals. For example "I wanna create guess the number game", stupid shit like that, but its meant to challenge and push your learning.
With time the goals should and will grow to bigger things like and sure enough you will be a "wizzard".
Just understand its going to take alot of time and if you dont put the work in its not going to happen.

>Feeling Superior because C# compared to JS

I think I know why your student cannot learn shit from you.

I am OP and math is a bad example.. if you want to learn to program you DO want as much knowledge in the maths as you can handle. math is VERY important. Aside from that, decide which language you want to learn, then learn it. The way I learned C and C++ back in the late 90's/early 2000's was by taking other peoples code and modifying the heck out of it, then making projects of myown from scratch. It's much easier now, places like planetsourcecode and youtube axist.

>Some people are just incapable of programming

I think I'm one of those,
I 'grok' pretty much every logic puzzle, eggheads have classified me as an analyst and troubleshooter, been working in IT for nearly 30 years, but for the love of God, it never works beyond some shell/cron job scripts

;_;

sayign knowing some javascript is having zero experience in programming isn't a facet of a superiority complex, it's just stating a fact.

exist*

cron jobs

This.

Yw
Catch is, I'm super interested in wanting to learn/know to CREATE something on my own, went even to school for Java programming, but it never stuck.

Got a few tips for an old fool?

JS is a Turing complete language just as c#. It's bad reputation has nothing to do with experience in coding, but with it's fundamental flaws.

C# in itself is a damn shitty language either. So saying "JS experience means no experience" while teaching C# is fucking retarded.

Also, Visual studio. Really? Fucking hell man, I mean, I get it. Microsoft, C#. But then again, please don't go around telling people how bad JS is. Yes, it is. But so is darn VS and C#

What does visual studio (IDE / editor) have to do with C# / Javascript (languages) ???

How long does it take to learn coding? Im a physician getting close to finishing my residency and I always wanted to code but was too busy

I code html

/thread

People using VS to code are just as retarded as web developers who download JQuery modules for every single shitty thing they are too lazy to code themselves. So essentially critizising JS while using VS is pretty darn hypocritical

java is ugly, I hate it personally. You know how when japan gets ahold of technology, it comes back to us smaller, sleeker, and better? like, mp3 players, portable phones, personal computers, etc. C# is like japan got ahold of C++ and Java on the same day, and this is what came out, I recommend it. There's a very good, but very monotone and boring series by Pragim Technologies on youtube that can teach you. Additionally, Visual Studio is free from microsoft, which is used to easily build and compile it.

>I code html
I feel this is bait, but you can actually some cool stuff with HTML5

>Confusing html5 with html
Kys

For me it was like a single moment where you understand what you’re actually doing with this shit - most people probably could if they tried for long enough

But yeah... Visual Studio is not really helping with anything? It dosnt really generate loads of code for you nor does it give you magical libraries to solve shit for you. So what exactly does it do to make developers more retarded?

THE TRIPS HAVE SPOKEN

depending on the person, 40-400 hours.

html is hypertext markup language, like XML, it is a markup language, not a coding language. By the fact that it has no interactivity or custom methods in and of itself, it is not a coding language, nor even a scripting language.
I prefer notepad++ to be honest, but larger projects need a certain level of organization and VS' automatically handled assemblies is very useful for that, you don't know what you are talking about.
yes but what is stated above is still worth stating
I have yet to look into html5, however what I've seen done with it makes it seem as though it does infact qualify as a scripting language now.
it handles the assembly for you, which is very nice.

>Badly integrated git environment
>Autocompletion
>Proprietary MS shit in which you gotta buy pro licenses for actually useful shit
>Shitty Webserver Integration
>Automatically adding linebreaks every now and then

And that is just a breakdown of shit I can remember right now. It's essentially a tool for wannabe lewd 'n' kewl brogrammas who can't handle shit for themselves.

Can you provide an example where Java is uglier than C# or are you just talking out of your ass?

Autocompletion is great tho.

Not that guy but the .net framework handles a lot of shit for that you have to do yourself in java. C# is just sleeker because it has the framework.

>I prefer notepad++ to be honest, but larger projects need a certain level of organization and VS' automatically handled assemblies is very useful for that, you don't know what you are talking about.

Now you're jumping to conclusions. You could actually organize projects outside of VS if your people actually know wtf they're doing. The thing is that most people can't tell a commit from a stash and can't be arsed to handle their builds on their own, so they essentially have other people set it up for them so they only need to use it. You are thusly lowering the bar of skill needed to "code", and thus provide the world with shit-tier coders who do shitty projects like dockr.

>>Badly integrated git environment
disagree, you are just trying to be edgy
>>Autocompletion
I like typing 2 letters and hitting enter, saves a lot of time in a 300k+ line project,
>>Proprietary MS shit in which you gotta buy pro licenses for actually useful shit
false
>>Shitty Webserver Integration
why in satan's name would you use their webserver integration?
>>Automatically adding linebreaks every now and then
you can customize indentation styles, and automated styling or disable it entirely
>And that is just a breakdown of shit I can remember right now. It's essentially a tool for wannabe lewd 'n' kewl brogrammas who can't handle shit for themselves.

you have obviously never worked as part of a team before, if you ever code a project with other people, VS makes it soooooo(...)oooo much less stressful. You may have to get used to the style it uses a bit, but believe me, as a professional and not a hobbyist (or in your case a hipster edgelord) it is worth it.

personal preference and opinion, my example of ugly code versus your opinion is likely not one that would sway you either way, but the syntax and the way you integrate other files into the same project is ugly to me.That and the way it compiles is terrible in my opinion, and the way it handles variables in memory is pretty disgusting, hence it's over-use of system resources for simple tasks.

+1
can, yes, and it's not hard, but the convenience of letting VS do it after 10+ years of doing it yourself is an immeasurable pleasure.

Can you provide an example of are you just talking out of your ass? I can actually provide an instant counterexample. Try to find a good RPC lib for C# in .net core. There is none (at least was none a year ago), while Java got at least a few.

You are just a 40yo virgin. Look at your shithead complexes. Even basics of psychology shows the things you care about, and it's totally disturbing. For you.

additionally, I honestly don't know what dockr is, and the world needs mroe coders.. it takes time but the shitty ones do get weeded out, trust me. "new code-monkey" turn-over rate is around 66% at my office (meaning fresh new people right off their certification leave the job by choice or by order)

thank you for the lovely compliment

Working with a database is simple af. Java makes you jump through hoops.

true.. my personal projects utilize the shit out of mysql, and it's easy as hellll with C#. C++ and Java are a pain to keep the connection alive sometimes, causing all sorts of havock. You basically have to set a timer to check the status of a socket every so often, then reestablish it and verify recent queries to solve it. fuck that noise

my professional projects use a proprietary method of handling the data though.

>VS makes it soooooo(...)oooo much less stressful.

I can get behind that, I've seen Star Citizen's big ass team of 400-500+ designers/coders use VS for their Star Citizen / Squadron 42 game, which btw is a Godzilla in terms of complexity

>you have obviously never worked as part of a team before,
I did, and everyone insisted on using VS. Essentially all the shit-tier coders did. Now you can disagree all you want, that's my experience. Also, they had never used any git outside of VS, so they essentially didn't know shit and continued to merge and force push their way through the whole project
> if you ever code a project with other people, VS makes it soooooo(...)oooo much less stressful.
Yes, but the amount of people who can actually use it and not suck at everything else is pretty low

> (or in your case a hipster edgelord) it is worth it.

Fuck off with your C# and VS calling me hipster. Unlike you fucktard I'm not jacking myself off to how I people who do js got "no experience"

What the fuck? I've worked with psql on Java before, it's easy af

Ever done database shit with c#?

doesn't even have to be that big.. back in the old days I made a multiplayer game, back before I even got on with this company. We're talking, back when MUDs were huge among "gamers." I made a multiplayer sprite based graphical game, it was aroudn 38k lines of code for the client, 54k lines of code for the server. made in C++, done in my style of coding, my naming conventions, my style of commenting. I let 3 other people help me update and add features to it, god it was a nightmare. after 2 months of nonstop bullshit I ended up putting a halt on it, transfering it all into a builder (I don't remember the name, but it wasn't by microsoft, I was using notepad and cygwn back then) and going through it and rewriting enough of it that the builder was happy, after that I let them back on. Those people ended up working for the company I work at, and they got me my current job.(I am not college educated officially, so their word was gold for the hiring committee)

You have proven to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that you cannot work well with others and have a superiority complex not conducive to business. I hope you have made the decision to switch careers.

I wrote a payment system using pqlib++ in C++ and it handles the connection pretty well. Cannot confirm your claim on C++, maybe you're just retarded. Also, mysql

holy fuck... thanks for planetsourcecode!!

every three years or so I try to learn how to code and it's year 3... again... for 20 years straight.

I'm retarded.

pqlib++ handled it well. C++ on itsown not so much, try writing it from scratch, trust me it can be a nightmare. I ended up making a DLL to handle mysql in C++ and I imported and used it in ALLLL my C++ projects that sued mysql for about 4.5 years to save myself the hassle.

>Tell others they got no exp because they got js experience
>People tell me I shouldn't feel superior because I teach shitty C# on VS
>Much superiority complex

Holy shit bro, the double standards

Yeah, if you gotta write everything from scratch, of course you need to check idle connections. That's what ping-pong is for

having a little experience with javascript is not having experience in coding, get over it. That has nothing to do with me. That's like saying you have experience in fine art and portraits because you drew a picture of yourself for your grandma in finger-paint when you were 5 years old.

I normally use c++ because that's what I learned first, but I still use c# for prototyping as I find it faster for testing stuff

You sound like a really good teacher. Hope your "student" figures out you're a piece of shit soon and finds help elsewhere.

It doesn't matter which language you have little experience in. If you coded 200 lines of js, that qualifies as little experience. But depending on what you did, it can be quite worthwhile. On the other hand, it literally does not matter in which language you coded said 200 lines, because without extensive experience most people cannot tell a good from a bad language. Which is shown by you putting C# above JS. C# doesn't even provide real reflection.

>Knows the person has virtually no knowledge programming.
>First assignment is at least 112 lines.

How fucking retarded are you?

Don't be so quick to point fingers, if he asked you to do something in Javascript would you know?

If I asked you to do something in ASM would you know?

C++/C# is the usual taught language in universities etc now, but not always, I still think people should be taught ASM first to make them think and to understand deeply what goes on in programming, not have some high level language do the shit for you when you don't understand why fully.

Wowow relax bra, he will call you out on that superiority complex

Jesus dude, you got triggerd hard.
Take your pills and have a nap.

when did I put C# above JS? I said having a "little experience with javascript" is not having experience with programming.

that was his first "unguided" assignment, his helloworld and several other little "assignments" were done with supervision already.
yes, I would be able to do it in javascript.
I haven't used ASM since 2000, it's awesome to learn it anyway, but it's not necessary anymore. definitely good practice though. Props if you know it.

What superiority complex? You assume too much there.

I am just pointing out he is looking down on the guy thinking people should just quickly learn C# quite easily when they have some experience of another language.

Doesn't work like that.

So yeah superiority complex??? Nah.

that guy's triggered cause he uses javascript and considers himself a programmer, don't mind him ;)

I don’t know shit about programing. Is it hard to learn it? I’ve been thinking about learning how to do it.

>Confuses being triggered with having a good laugh

You really try hard to make yourself feel good about yourself

were you good at math in school? if yes, then programming is easy.

Whatever makes you happy

Dude, you should read the thread. I was being sarcastic.

I don't wanna be a programmer, those folks are foot soldiers. But yeah, I coded some lines in js. And C#. And C. And C++, Java, Scala, Prologue, Turbo Pascal (kek) and some more. So what the fuck you going on about

Well I was ok in it not well I got to like geometry. Would it still be hard to learn? Thanks

I ended at geometry. Never did calculus or trigonometry. I get it, but people with higher math skills learned more quickly and every now and then come out with shit I never would have thought of.

Give it a shot, but it works like math, nothing is automatic and the computer is never goign to figure anything out on it's own, everything very specific and logical.

hurr-durr I know javascript therefore I'm a coder herpaderpaderp

Attached: herp.png (2504x1080, 185K)

I actually know a shitton of people who study math but cannot programm Shit, and I know some cs students who suck at math but can code pretty damn well. I never understood this claim.

Yeye I know how much math there is in cs, but you can code without being a math freak is all I'm saying

>Unable to comprehend written sentences
>Opens some random js file on his dual screen to prove idunnowhat
>Unironically says herpaderp

I don't even know where to begin with you mate

>can't tell minesweeper when he sees it
>thinks scripting is programming

I know where to start with you bud, I'll just point out that it's well past your bed time :)

It's darn morning over here bro

shit man you're right, it's like 5:00am... fuck.. I got work in 3 hours why the fuck am I awake :(

yes, don't teach anyone anything because you're a bad teacher

>Literal autism

I'm out bro

my alarm goes off in 30 minutes :'( I better start the coffee

You guys are harsh, I was bad at JavaScript a year ago, it took a lot of hard work but I'm now ace at js And I'm getting pretty good at OCaml and Reanml. The jump form js to a type system and never reassigning variables was HUGE. Going from js to C# is also a HUGE leap.

Perhaps I'm one of the few who get it, heavens knows I've attempted to teach some bloody fools what I know and often rewrite all their code.
For the record I'm no good at C or any of its derived languages.

Just have realistic expectations, I think you don't learn a language, you learn to program, what you're teaching isn't syntax, you're teaching how to think about problem.

It's nothing like math and doesn't use much math. It's more like lego.
Also I dropped out of college, I'm not eating my time with CS.

Enough typing on my phone, I came here to jerk off, I think my point is across.

That's ReasonML btw, misspelled it.

Also eating time? Wasting time with CS

I am leaning Swift, mostly for fun after years of using PHP.
It’s a mind melt, the syntax is strict, it’s vastly more complicated and it makes my brain hurt.

Luckily what I need is to learn the syntax and methods, the problem solving bit I can do.

first rule of programming is never waste time programming something that someone else has. Advanced programming is centered around templates, reusability, extending classes, etc. Only turbo autists waste time rewriting code, I suppose they can beat the bloat, but they waste their time too.

I agree. I use JavaScript from time to time and have never written any. Copy/paste is your friend.

threads about to die, so new topic, job security as a freelance programmer, how to ensure it.

my method? multiple nested ternary operators, in every code, as much as possible, wherever possible.
variable names that are 1-3 characters long whenever and wherever possible,
smash everything into one line whenever possible
add several functiosn that look like they do something important, call them from other functions randomly so if they are removed they cause errors, they do nothing.

anyone else?

I agree.
Never wanted to learn JS. It seems to suck.

Copy/paste and then edit as a last resort.

This is mostly how i actually write js.

Worthless as tits on a boar hog.
Greedy too.
How sad the world is full of your ilk.

You don't need the brackets of ifs, condition ? true : condition2 ? 2true : both false

Just write good code, which you understand. Keep improving it.
If you have spent enough time on a project solo, it’s going to take someone who knows what they are doing so long to figure it the first time they get a bug they can’t do without you.

also don't need semi colons, just started typing. don't worry coffee is ready I'll be fine soon haha, but the point is to make it as UNREADABLE as possible.. it's so NOBODY wants to take on maintenance and updating of your code.. job security.

If I found out someone was doing this, I’d sack them and take the pain before it was too late.
Better than having to get someone in if you get hit by a bus.

I'm on my first coffee of the day too, unfortunately all my JS is reviewed by C developers so I can't away with it.

something like
bool t = a=4 ? true : a==0 ? true : c==0 ? true : false : false;

that seems to look better to me lol. Nobody wants to take on code with that all over the place, so if something needs updating, the client knows where to go. Is cheaper for me to update it than it is for them to get someone else to rewrite it.

Makes perfect sense to me