Why didn't Hawkeye have future visions or whatever they are, too...

Why didn't Hawkeye have future visions or whatever they are, too? Or did he and we just didn't know because we weren't following him?

Also why did the ships vanish into fat air?

She was having dreams before they came, she already had some precog shit going so it was easier for her to get into it. Maybe he did too, but that's unlikely since he divorced her after she told him about their daughter's inevitable death.

Scifi magic.

Because he wasn't a linguist. She only got future visions because she studied and learned the language (in the future) better than anyone else. She was the first. Hawkeye may get future visions later on, but he's not on her level during the events of the movie.

Essentially there's no point asking any questions about this movie because it was an ill-thought out mess. However, everyone is so disillusioned by the director's previous work that they refuse to criticise this piece (despite it clearly being his personal worst entry on his filmography and a generally subpar movie overall) because they all want to be the first to stand up and scream how much they like it. They wanna do this because, this movie, given its background and trajectory is clearly going to be popular amongst the general public. So this way in a few months time when people [here] start shitting on it for being "too popular" there will be a core group of pretentious fuckwits who retroactively say that they liked it before anyone else and that they are true untellectuals.

Anyways the movie was extremely underwhelming. Your "issue" with it is pretty minimal considering the film itself and the screenplay have so many other problems that they refused to address.

But whatever, my opinion will probs be ignored as shitposting or something along those lines since I'm obviously in the minority on this one. But hell, this place pretty much became reddit years ago anyway so whatever.

>she already had some precog shit going

Why do plebs attempt to watch kino? Jesus christ kid this isn't an MCU flick

It's actually in a completely inferior bracket to any MCU film and I say that as someone who desperately wants capeshit to die. Right now.

This is actually true. The movie itself might be considered good among Hollywood garbage, but not if you actually compare it with less pretentious works of art.
How they handle emotions is shallow at best, but people praise it nonetheless.
Nothing out of the ordinary as most people here are not fit to judge any amount of art and get very railed up once their precious opinion isn't repeated. Be it Hollywood movies or most other pretentious art films from Europe.

If he gets them later on it would translate to the present in the movie, as he would be able to go back - but he didn't despite being alive for at least 15 more years of studying. Why?

How similar is it to the short story?

>he didn't get it

Fucking millennials.

Same reason Amy Adams couldn't see the future at the beginning of the movie, you can't see a time before you had any understanding of the language. Hawkeye wouldn't be able to see anything from the "present" section of the film.

>he thought there was something to get

Most entry level garbage I've seen all year. The guy you're replying to ironically sounds like he's a toenail from being one of the people he's talking about. But he's still a lot brighter than the likes of you buffoons.

His point stands though. Renner would eventually learn the language, be able to "see the future" and see that his wife was going to tell him that she knew their daughter would have died of cancer long before they had her. One of about 100 plotholes in this movie.

It was shit and people are just buying into the time travel bullshit because of the way in which they presented it to you. Unfortunately for you lot, it doesn't make it any less retarded and only makes you seem even more dense for jumping to its defence.

Why is it a given that he would learn the language? He wasn't a linguist like her. Even if he did try to learn it, it's quite probably he'd never be able to achieve the level of comprehension she has.

He's literally already learning it during the movie you nonce.

He's seeing patterns she's not by the third act. He's right behind her.

I reckon what sepperates her is that she was with them and they imprinted her with that shit.

Mathematical patterns, that's not the same thing as comprehending the language.

I can say "one coffee please, no sugar" in German but that doesn't make me fluent. Languages are hard, alien ones more so, by orders of magnitude. Anyone without years of linguistic study behind them is going to hit a wall at some point.

>the language is allegedly their gift to humanity
>various scenes of her teaching people the language
>scenes of Renner understanding the language
>you want us to believe he continues to live his life in absolute ignorance oblivious to the biggest revelation in his lifetime

Stfu. You lost this argument when you started it.

the basic premise is there but its quite far removed so they could add political drama and international tension

>tension

lmao good one

You've not addressed what i said at all, and I can't see how I could possibly make this any simpler for you. Your powers of idiocy have defeated my ability to dumb down. Congratulations.

Because the movie took the short story's message literally, showing that the screenwriter is a fucking mong who doesn't know anything about subtlety.
I'm hoping someone does a faithful adaptation of Story of Your Life soon since it doesn't actually need massive sets and generals from different countries or big splosions. When reading it I thought it would make a great Twilight Zone episode.

>Abbott is death process

jesus, OP just wanted an answer discussion not a fucking rant about how you found it 'underwhelming'.

>But whatever, my opinion will probs be ignored as shitposting
Because you are shitposting, dickhead.

right in le feelings :((((

Except she can translate it on the spot at one point and he's barely keeping up with the software they've made

It's not just knowing the language, but also understanding how the mind using it works.

most emotional scene of 2016

Louise seems to be the only one that not only knows how to write the language, but also translate it for others, hence why she wrote a book on the language.

However, there's no evidence in the movie that anyone else understands the language, even with Louise teaching classes. No one can write it or read it, except Louise. Even Renner needed to use the translator to understand what the aliens were saying.

As for the ships, I don't fucking know. It was visually appealing, but made no sense to me in the grand scheme of things.

Because he never completely learnt the alien language, Louise came into full understanding of it when she had both hands on the glass and the alien spunked on them.

Because it travelled in time, not space. Also we don't know how the shell travelled to earth or how it even moves so they could have done anything.

I thought it was his best movie hands down, but I haven't seen incendies yet

>accuses others of being special snowflake hipsters
>"I'm obviously in the minority on this one"

One the most retarded screenplays of all time.

This is all basic shit jesus you are plebs.

The aliens were here to teach us how to percieve the 4th dimension, she was immersing herself in the language first, so she was the first to percieve her time as a whole. When Ian learns how he will do the same, and eventually all of humanity will think that way.

this is not the best work of Villeneuve but still one of the best film of the year.

Did anyone else feel a bit underwhelmed with the cinematography?

I know the director wasn't working with Deakins on this, any DP following Deakins is a hard act to follow, but I really felt the cinematography was a bit too simplistic, especially with the constant use of shallow depth of field.

I know that it's meant to draw our attention, but I didn't feel like there was a purpose to what each shot was trying to tell.

Although I felt the same way about the DP's last two films he shot. Pawn Sacrifice and A Most Violent Year.

Then he would already know that in the movie, you fuck. The whole point of the language is that you perceive time as a whole.

there's only so many ways you can film a meeting room or a giant dildo in a field.

I'm not really impressed by Villeneuve's filmmaking in general but that's just me.

be a good guy

No you fucking dumbass he HASN'T LEARNED IT YET

OUR MENTAL PERCEPTION IS TRAVELING ON A LINEAR PATH UNTIL WE GET THE GIFT, THEN IT RETROACTIVELY BECOMES NON LINEAR

>How they handle emotions is shallow at best, but people praise it nonetheless.

What the fuck are you talking about?

You self-serious NEETs are cancer.

very little, has the basic premise but it is strictly just about banks working on the language and how her daughter would come to be, it also focuses more on the whole idea of free will

I hated the cinematography. Shallow DoF was so distracting and claustrophobic.

Loved or liked everything else, there was a line or two that was jarring and out of place (like Hawkeye's last line about how seeing her was the best thing ever... instead of the ayylmaos)

The cinematography of the film wasn't flashy but it was extremely effective for the film in terms of building tension and atmosphere, and the shallow depth of field was used effectively to obscure parts of the shot creatively.

I actually thought it started out really stupid and retarded with a horrible color pallet and excessive amounts of blur, but it won me over slowly.

Not gonna shit post, well written and on point with how I feel. I thought it was a waste of money. Neat concept (figuring out how we would communicate with peaceful aliens) but terrible fucking twist (space magic foresight).

Plebs don't understand the nature of non linear thought

Oh I understand it, that doesn't make it any less stupid.

how would it feel to be one of the people who didn't perceive the 4th dimension
would we all congregate on boards like this and complain about 4dpd

It's far more than "foresight" and an incredibly clever concept.

How do people still not understand this movie?

The movie's events are all happening simultaneously.

she isn't always dreaming, she is living in all moments of time and due to understanding the alien language allows her to perceive things as they do.

She was the only one in the movies events to fully comprehend the language and structure of it, the physicist guy didn't thats why she could see the future, because she truly understood the Alien language and consequently the structure of time itself.

The physicist explains what's happening in one of her actual dreams when she's knocked out, submersing yourself in a foreign language changes the way you think about things, and this applied to the alien language and allowed her to think outside of time, freeing her consciousness from the constraints of time in order to see all of her life from every moment of it.

It's a science fiction film, the key word being fiction, the plot will never be 100% science because there'd be no fucking story in the first place.

>Sup Forums complains hollywood only make capeshit and franchise film.
>Tears apart an actual attempt at making something interesting that isn't just spess men shooting other spess men.

The actual technical aspects of the film were fine, the only thing the movie attempts that i felt was weak was the emotional aspect, the actual decoding of the language and interaction with the aliens was far more interesting than the MC's emotional conflict, though i suppose it was all needed in order to convince the chink not to nuke everyone and demonstrate the non-linearity of time.

So he finds out what learning the language causes, maybe he didn't want to learn it any further because it shows you a future you can't change. Anyways that's how it was presented in the movie.

So the whole time thing is what bothered you guys?

The whole heptapod alien nonsense and the ships, that was all plausible...but the time thing is where you draw the line?

SUSPEND YOUR FUCKING DISBELIEF YOU GOD DAMN AUTISTS

NO SHIT THAT IS NOT HOW SHIT WORKS

IT'S A FUCKING MOVIE

AMY ADAMS ISN'T ACTUALLY A FUCKING LINGUIST

This, people are acting as though the film is claiming to be a scientific documentary or teaching aid.

This. Calling it "foresight" implies that she's still stuck in linear time, seeing ahead to moments that nonetheless still happen in succession.

The whole point of the movie is to fuck with your perception that time moves from point A to point B.

This movie was so fucking boring.

Last time i listen to reddit.

Shit flick, original story is way more interesting than "kewl I can sees future"

I think of learning the alien's language as not so much the technical feat of understanding the pattern in the writing or making the pronunciation but to communicate on a more intuitive level. Thus when she learned it she suddenly could write with the magical ink even though she didn't know the ins and outs of it. So it's more like a zen sort of thing.

That said, I can't understand what the appeal of this movie is. It had such an interesting premise but in the end it didn't feel the least bit compelling and I didn't care for whatever the theme is. It just felt like mental masturbation from the creators. Being hyped from all the reviews and user scores and then seeing this makes me kinda suspicious about Moonlight and Manchester by the Sea too.

You jumped on the hype train, that's why. Don't be a sheep

I came in to this movie with little to no information other than the trailer. I came out of it very satisfied because the film was gripping and very refreshing compared to the other films that came out this year. I might watch it again

Why are there always children we're supposed to feel sorry for in these types of movies ?