I just got done watching all 12 of these movies. Honestly, they're all pretty fucking terrible...

I just got done watching all 12 of these movies. Honestly, they're all pretty fucking terrible. They're not so bad that they're good, they're just boring as crap. There are a couple of good moments with the kills, but the gore feels really tame so it ruins them. Why are they popular?

Because of the kills and Jason's somewhat unique look.

Everybody worldwide, regardless of if they've seen the movies or not knows who Jason is.

You can watch them as episodes in a slasher francishe, or you can watch them as movies. You should try the latter even if you still won't end up liking them.

I agree that there were some good kills, but most seemed like a cop out. Like Jason would stab somebody but then the shot would cut away before you saw anything good.

At the time they werent' that tame. Each generation after became more and more desensitized and the violence became extreme.

There were a few movies back then that were on par with todays extreme violence, but a lot of those were shunned.

That's because of the shitty ratings board at the time, if you check out AVGN's Friday the 13th monster marathon reviews he talks about all the cut footage and censorship that went on at the time

that's because americans are so cucked in the brain that they censored most of the kills and they still haven't released uncut versions of most movies

>why popular
They're the anti-thesis of modern superhero movies. More or less the precedessors. One iconic figure that kills people the audience just doesn't care about because the killer is the only unique individualist in this film which is why the audience cheers to him. The kills are there for easy escapism, which is how movies make money in the first place.

>killer entertaining
>everything else is not

I do believe that "final girl beats killer" is part of the reason these movies are so popular as well. It's a very simpe underdog story, more or less. Nice girls that spend the movie not being as dumb or doing shitty things while the killer builds up a reputation as being invincible.

6 is genuinely good, the rest are pretty bad though

>There are a couple of good moments with the kills, but the gore feels really tame so it ruins them.

You can thank the MPAA for that...and Warner Bros. for being shitheads over not putting the uncut version of Jason Goes to Hell on the blu-ray set.

If you want some really gory slasher films, find The Burning, Maniac and the original My Bloody Valentine (it must be the Lionsgate DVD or blu-ray, not the Paramount DVD in order to see the uncut version).

>final girl
user, Tommy is the protagonist for three movies in row and survives to the end in all of them. A guy survives to the end of 8 and the protagonist for 9 is again male.

THIS
B
H

The only good one is the remake that used the plots of the first two.

Doesn't necessarily go against the things I said, but I get what you mean.
Although, when a guy is the main protagonist... he mostly is paired with a girl who survives as well which is another tension altogether.
Obviously, it doesn't mean that is the only reason these movies are popular as I explained above.

Do you count 4 as Tommy being the protagonist? I don't remember all of the films, even though I watched them last year. They're meddled together pretty well.
In that case, if you consider 4, then his sister had as much screentime as he did. And he was a child back then.

Jason X was fun.

Weird trivia time: pic related plays a high school douche called Trent in both Friday the 13th and the first Transformers. It's literally the same character.

I honestly think at this point that rebooting Friday the 13th to be more of the same Crystal lake murder spree is boring, just do crazy over the top shit, I want Jason versus the Apocalypse, Jason versus the Wolfman, Jason and the City of Atlantis, Jason Revenant of Mars.

Go fucking crazy
Friday the 13th: End of Days

>JASON RISES ONCE AGAIN FROM THE GRAVE
>during the zombie apocalypse
>first half hour is of him wandering around the world trying to find survivors to murder, zombies don't attack him and he's dissatisfied with how easy they are to kill
>stumbles on to some looters about to rape a girl, kills them easily then kills her as she starts to thank him
>hears a radio broadcast of people calling for survivors to meet at a safe point
>IT'S TIME
>looks around and sees a zombie with a machete in its chest
>pulls it out as Bad to the Bone plays

Nightmare on Elm street movies are better.

Halloween beats both of them.

Evil Dead is another ball park.

4 is really the only good one. It even starts with a recap of the previous films, so no need to watch them.

Logical conclusion for the series.

>Evil Dead is another ball park.
Comparing Evil dead to Friday the 13th is like comparing Scarface to Godfather.

Sure they are horror movies but they have two different paths to the same goal.

>the one with Corey Feldman is the only good one

Try again retard.

The kid was fine, I don't get what your point is.

Eh the first one is 36 years old now, probably older than most of the posters on this board. Can't really expect these movies to compete with modern standards of gore and horror.

While the later films got fucked over by censorship, they were incredibly gory for the day. And unlike other slasher movies, Friday the 13th's kills were always new and inventive.

Like, watching the Halloween franchise, 90% of kills are "Michael stabs the person" or "Michael strangles someone." Meanwhile, Jason crushes skulls, breaks spines, punches heads off, slices in half, and even uses liquid nitrogen to shatter a person's face.

Plus, while Friday the 13th never quite had the same highs as Halloween or Nightmare on Elm Street, it's films stayed consistently okay or better, while other series fell into shit over time.

To use a metaphor, Michael Myers and Freddy Krueger are the guys who hit a homerun their first and second time up to bat, and then strike out every time after that. Jason Voorhees, meanwhile, hits a single, occasionally a double, every time he's up to bat.

Except for Part 6. That's pure slasher kino and one of the best slasher movies around.

>There are a couple of good moments with the kills, but the gore feels really tame so it ruins them.
All of them were shot with gore, but they had to cut them out to avoid X rating. It's fucking lame that you still can't have the uncut versions for all movies.

This is how the uncuts exist:

Friday the 13th (DVD and Blu-ray)
Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (fan composite dvdrip torrent)
Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI (workprint)
Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday (DVD)
Jason X (DVD and Blu-ray)

Rest doesn't have anything available!

they said in the crystal lake memories doco that the cut footage has been destroyed in most cases so there'll never be a complete uncut set of all the films

>mfw

Remeber that time when Jason broke into the third dimension just to do some really shitty and lame-looking kills?

>he didn't enjoy Jason Takes Manhattan

it was fun when i watched it on vhs 15 years ago

Now it's just plain awful. Even freddy vs jason is a better watch

Hey, Part III is excellent. Best of the living Jasons as far as I'm concerned. Richard Brooker was a fantastic Jason, the kills were great, and the cast was memorable for once.

Frozen head kill is probably my favourite.

Problem is, that's the only memorable kill from that movie. Rest are offscreen or boring

i quite like them, but objectively they're pretty mediocre in the genre, if you want a good slasher check My Bloody Valentine

Sleepaway Camp is the best obscure slasher.

havent seen it actually

Watch it but look up nothing about it.

It's the Sixth Sense of Slasher movies. Looking up anything will ruin the experience.

aright nigga thanks, ill give it a look tonight