In Ghost in the Shell, the word "ghost" is colloquial slang for an individual's consciousness. In a futuristic society...

>In Ghost in the Shell, the word "ghost" is colloquial slang for an individual's consciousness. In a futuristic society, science has redefined the ghost as the thing that differentiates a human being from a biological robot. Regardless of how much biological material is replaced with electronic or mechanical substitutes, as long as individuals retain their ghost, they retain their humanity and individuality
>Western audiences paying enough attention to understand that concept

Enjoy your dumbed-down Hollywood blockbuster/Blade Runner aesthetic rip-off. They might as well just open the movie with "We can rebuild her. We have the technology."

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_room
youtube.com/watch?v=r2sqdudEle4
youtube.com/watch?v=jSospSmAGL4
youtube.com/watch?v=udEJzW_S9F8
youtube.com/watch?v=HoLs0V8T5AA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

So it's a ghost movie? Sounds pretty scary to me.

>tfw when i actually study philosophy and the mind/body problem along with the philosophical concept of the ghost in the shell
>tfw that is a painfully simplified explanation
>tfw 'ghost' would never hold up under law if it came to actual philosophical debate

Is this why people call anime fans retards?

Yeah man that pic is pretty spookytoo

Could be worse.
>fear for skellingtons in a shell intensify

if we dont get to see her titties then this movie is a waste...................................

"Deep" anime is usually written by some nip who read half a poorly translated philosphy 101 book and then shat it out into the mouths of pseudo intellectual weabs.

>t. even more pseudo intellectual non-weab

We've already seen her jew-titties though. She isn't that good,

No one said it was great but I'm take that over the direction this movie is likely to take.
>Kid Major gets into an accident
>Government use this as a cover to rebuild her as the first full body cyborg
>Tacked on revenge plot

Hell I'm fucking off out of the cinema if the government was behind the accident.

What was this one story called about the guy who essentially replaced every part of his body except for the left lobe of his brain, and is brought before court to have the parts repossessed?

deep anime is trash, Anno admitted that when writing NGE he simply picked words and titles based on what "sounds cool"

But the "because it looks cool" religious symbols/symbolism and words are just part of the overarching sci-fi plot, when the real bedrock of the series itself and why it's even called deep is related to the philosophy and characters, so what you just said is a complete fucking non-point you retard. Eva is not considered deep because of its religious imagery to begin with, you fucking donkey!

"deep" anime is not trying to be deep at all, it's just anime fans being fucking retarded and looking for meaning when there is none, and then argue indefinetly over how shit anime is for not being deep enough when it's just meant to be teenage entertainment.
At least cartoon fans freely admit they are watching and enjoying stuff that was made for children. Watching anime as a grown man is actually frowned upon in japan

I dunno, I loved full metal alchemist (not brotherhood)
Death Note had its moments

>missed opportunity to use If You Have Ghost by Roky Erickson

Patlabor 2 was good

>not Ghost cover

Explain why ghost would never hold up under philosophical debate law.

Wasn't Patlabor a cop anime? how is that supposed to be deep.

>tfw when i actually study philosophy

Hi I'd like a tall caramel macchiato

I literally can't, because like most pseudo intellectual philosophical types, I'm full-on brimming with bullshit.

How can it be scary? Look at that picture, there's no skellington inside her. If there was that's would terrify me.

You're thinking about the OVA series.

See you at Starbucks

In short, it's impossible to distinguish an essence that separates "human-ness"
Any metric you could attempt to use from the exterior could be demonstrated in a machine

Here's 2 thought experiments for you to consider
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_room

Thesius' ship is the problem of identity
The chinese room is the problem of distinguishing between artificial intelligence and actual intelligence

Original

>not MCR

because its wrong for an artist to use a phrase that is fucking common to discuss the very problem the phrase was coined to describe.

Yes concepts are simplified because its a fucking movie, entertainment. No one is pretending this is the end all to some grand philosophical debate.

Try not to sound like such a pretensions douche when you have not studied shit. Artists you use terms like soul or spirit all the fucking time when trying to tell stories about the human condition

You sound triggered
Who hurt you user?

simply eric

It's not pretentious
I never watched ghost in the shell
Based on what the OP said, it's missing the point of the debate and is impractical

Either the OP misrepresented the show, or the show's pseudo-intellectual
Why does actual discussion on the issue upset you so much?
Is it because this show made you feel like you were watching something clever?

A pseudo intellectual philosophical type, naturally.

But Ghost in the Shell is just Blade Runner for masturbating Jap boys.

>Artists you use terms like soul or spirit all the fucking time when trying to tell stories about the human condition
They don't tend to incorporate it into science/law
They also don't use specifically philosophical phrasing to sound smart

>Thesius' ship is the problem of identity
>The chinese room is the problem of distinguishing between artificial intelligence and actual intelligence

Neither of which have anything much to do with ghost in the shell. Did you watch the film? The major is questioning her humanity because she feels she lacks a SOUL. Its mind/body duality.

It does not matter if its wrong or impossible, as long as it works within the context of the story

very mature of you to chastise others for wanting to talk about philosophy

>Did you watch the film?
No
I already admitted that

This is me

>They don't tend to incorporate it into science/law
OP doesn't say that, he only refers to how the soul remains intact regardless of how much you swap out the man with the machine.

youtube.com/watch?v=r2sqdudEle4
Manga entertainment took some liberties with the English dialogue (Evil Nazis our allies was never mentioned in the Jap version).

I can't wait to pay 20 bucks to see a crappy version of something with over 3 other major iterations.

I'll check them out.
Thanks

>OP doesn't say that
"In a futuristic society, science has redefined the ghost as the thing that differentiates a human being from a biological robot"

sorry my bad

Ghost has more in common with Neuromancer. They have the Bladerunner aesthetic, which was originally ripped from the Japs anyway so ayyyyy.

We do that now, ask the majority of the world if they have a soul that separate them from animals, they will say yes.

Does not matter if you don't believe it, people do. Therefore art will tackle the subject.

So watch the fucking 95 film and enjoy beautiful hand drawn animation

That kind of just seems like a convoluted way of saying "people have souls"
It's not exactly a lofty concept

He knows that, the point he was making was that science can't realistically acknowledge that concept as a fact unless there is tangible empirical evidence.

>We do that now, ask the majority of the world if they have a soul that separate them from animals, they will say yes.
They have done this, and a considerable amount say animals have the same type of "soul"
Hence films like "All Dogs Go To Heaven" and the increased interest in animal rights activism and the rise of vegetarianism/veganism

>study philosophy

stopped reading right there

>being a conformist ape

LOL

Who the fuck cares, We are talking art not science. They address different issues.

You don't walk into a physics lab with the bible so why bring a science text to a art gallery. Especially when shit like the soul has been talked about forever in philosophy.

>show the trailer
>reveal main spoiler of the film in it

The anime cares, because in the OP it is stated that it is the scientific field that has redefined and implemented the 'ghost' as a thing that actually exists, which realistically shouldn't happen in a field of science unelss there's cold hard proof.

The guy making the response was basing his response off of what OP said.

>main spolier
>the major is a lesbian

Everyone knew that, she is canonically a slut, and prefers women because the mangaka didn't want to draw a mans ass.

I've always liked the 'where is the soul' discussion when applied to robots as it poses questions that are hard to answer technically and conceptually. Gives the brain a thorough workout.

youtube.com/watch?v=jSospSmAGL4

Ramsay pls you can't even appreciate a fine 'za let alone weebshit.

"Soul" is such an ill-defined concept I can't even tell if I believe in it or not. Either way I don't believe in any kind of soul that humans have but dogs or cows do not. I'm not some soy eating hippie either.

This. Anime fans cream their pants over Philosophy 101. None of these concepts are difficult.

those are artificial skellington arms building her for their own nefarious purpose

Western audiences will easily be able to understand it.

You can put it in as many big, intellectual-sounding words as you want, but ultimately all you're saying is "in this movie, a ghost is the term they use to describe a person's soul".

youtube.com/watch?v=udEJzW_S9F8

In that universe it appears (barring the tachikoma and the unique nature of the Puppetmaster) that AI do not develop a conscious the way humans who replace their organs do. I'm not a philosophy major so I don't know what that means for the debate, but it's implied that there's a social acceptance between a difference in a human turned fully cyborg and a sufficiently advanced AI.

>They might as well just open the movie with "We can rebuild her. We have the technology."
They actually might.

>Philosophy 101: The Movie
I'll pass.

but scarlet tits

>"deep" anime is not trying to be deep at all, it's just anime fans being fucking retarded and looking for meaning when there is none

Sounds like regular day in literature class.

youtube.com/watch?v=HoLs0V8T5AA

wow nips are fucking hacks