ITT: Post albums you don't get and others tell you why they are great

What do people see in this album? I've tried listening to it multiple times but the screeching and buzzing and other earrape is just too much to get over. I can get into Autechre and Swans and some other noisy music, but this one just doesn't click. Am I just listening to it the wrong way or should I just move on?

Give it repeated listens. I didn't like it at first either but now its easily my favorite album. The noise is the main reason a lot of people don't like this but you get used to it the more you listen to it (you may even find beauty in the noise at times like I eventully did for untitled.) All the tracks are very personal. Penny Dreadfuls is about bullying, Chocolate Girl is about teen love, april and the phantom is about over protection and Alvin Row is about growing up. Alvin Row is hands down my favorite song of all time for its progression, lyrics and message that anyone can relate to.

this, Alvin Row is the cherry on top of this masterpiece just listen to that first. the album is about childhood, don't you remember being a kid and throwing a tantrum? Or becoming a teen and being depressed? that's what untitled feels like to me, uninformed pain, psychically tortured flailing through the filter of being a kid.

If you want to get it (because it’s incredible) wake up at twilight and listen to it in bed.

Thanks for the tips I will definitely try these

OP, the album is a fucking meme. If you have undeveloped taste and you keep telling yourself it's an inaccessible masterpiece it'll eventually "click" but it really isn't a Great Album. It's not awful, it's interesting noise pop, but it's no more transcendent or any of that bullshit than any other bedroom pop made by and for young adults (the most profoundest demographic).

he could be right desu I do fit this demographic. but it didn't seem inaccessible to me, I fell in love on my first listen. out of 100% nonjudgemental curiosity whats your favorite album?

>STGSTV
>Noise Pop
You’re absolutely clueless. Before you reply to me, do a deep review of the tracks and their structure, because it’s clear you form opinions based on Sup Forums and not your own mind.

Have you listened to his first two?

I love everything in MBV's zone but I really do not get MBV. It's so boring to me and I love shoe-gazey stuff.

I listened to 5 Leaves Left, which I like better.

honestly i've grown to appreciate five leaves much more than pink moon but they're all great

If you continue listening intently to the albums in their order, you’ll begin to understand how the emotions become subtler each iteration, yet more potent.

I really don't browse Sup Forums or let them influence my opinions too much or else I'd probably also be jizzing over Spirit They've Gone. And sorry I'm not about to get into an autistic genre argument with you, it doesn't really make a difference whether we call it pop or not. oh wow, Avey Tare didn't use standard pop song structures in the year 2000, he must have been the first person ever to figure that out, turns I totally misapprehended the album. Sorry no.

It's so fucking gay when people tell you what you'll get out of a work of art with this kind of confidence. If you're going to try to be objective at least illustrate your point with examples from the work.

>I really don't browse Sup Forums or let them influence my opinions too much
Nah, I can tell you let it influence you immensely, yet don’t realize it at all. You just sincerely called STGSTV noise pop, which is done nowhere but Sup Forums, particularly because the album has 3 songs which even have repeated verses.

Listen to Day Is Done, then Chime of a City Clock, then Parasite, then Voices.

Actually need help with this
>Hospice by The Antlers
>Flower Boy by Tyler

Most of the other stuff Sup Forums shills have been alright.

Listen to it while driving during the fall in a suburban neighborhood

Flower Boy should generally click on first listen. Good weed album if you're into that. I exclusively listen to it in the car for the most part, listen to it on a drive you enjoy

the album art is nice at least c:

For me just the general sound of the album reminded me of my own suicidal, hopeless feelings while retaining this sharp bright light of hope under it all. So I guess it relates if you have feelings like that. I'm guessing answers differ though. The hope is when it hurts because it's trying to remind you it's still there.

>Hospice
One of those rare Genuinely Sad albums that you have to be in the right mood to listen to. It's incredibly earnest, which might make it seem kind of cringy or whiny when you're not in the proper mindset, but when your genuinely in a state of despair and you can't see a way out this is the perfect album to listen to while wallowing in the crushing depths of misery

Just sounds like goofy carnival music to me

This is my favorite album hands down, but I didn't get it at first either. Honestly the best thing i could say is to throw out any idea of what you think it is and just let it consume you. Don't think about theory or the technicality of the guitars or any of that, because that's not what this album is about. To me this album is the closest anyone has ever achieved to a pure, hazy dream state. And i love it. Just try loosening your mind like crazy.

boring ass pseudo intellectual alt rock

It's definitely not meant for recreational listening or enjoyment in typical sense. Honestly, i had to hear other peoples thoughts on it before I actually came around to liking it. There's a beauty underneath it all. Even the noise becomes integral to the appreciation of it. I saw a perfect allegory of this album in a comment on youtube comparing this to a beautiful/innocent girl being murdered. The innocent girl being the soothing melodies that emerge from the noise.

I think firstly you have to be on board with the whole aesthetic of it (the sometimes messy performances, lo-fi production). Apart from that, if you are listening to the album during a time where you feel alone or isolated from the world, the lyrics should instantly click. Musically, with multiple listens you will realise how each one of the twenty tracks are entirely unique and different from each other, yet the album still feels cohesive and flows beautifully

>if you are listening to the album during a time where you feel alone or isolated from the world
That's what I told myself when I listened to it for the first time. That I'd appreciate the album a lot more if I was in a certain mood

i do a lot of backpacking, and that's what this album sounds like to me. i feel like "i felt my size" is the one song which embodies the album best- its expanding and contracting emotion, an awe for often overlooked bits of the world around you, and an underlying sadness which can't be escaped.

i don't know, man. so many snippets of lyrics on this album take me back to a certain place or moment, it's hard to explain why it's an objectively good album.

every 16yo tumblr chud in my town likes this garbage

Imagine your child-self living in a magical fairytale land but with some subtly sinister vibes. Imagine beautiful fairies playing with you, but trying to lure you away to a dark forest for all eternity. It's beautiful, whimsical, scary. Something to listen to on a cold night, alone, covered in blankets, looking out the window and imagining gnomes coming alive outside.

That's at least how I feel listening to the album and I love it to bits.

I think the album is decent but I don't get why its worshipped by so many hip hop heads

agree
midnight marauders is better. their debut was better. hell, even beats rhymes and life was better

I listen to this because the high frequencies and zippy noises mimic the tension in my ears for when I feel like crying. I listen to this album when I feel frustrated.

high energy, quotable, songs are consistently good throughout the album with no real "bad songs"

but THIS was their best

any other backpacking albums user?

Please explain why this is good

The lyrics and the textures are extremely dark and the context of the record makes it 10x better

The jazz samples, the laidback flows, wordplay is 10/10

I actually can't explain why it's so good. It's just extremely well played, catchy, not too pretentious, and perfectly edited record

Listen to it when you're sad and tired

someone explain to me

not bait

The sheer creativity makes it admirable. No one actually enjoys it the same way you would normally enjoy an album. Look up the context and history of the album and you'd know what I mean.
MF Doom is probably the best rhymer in the industry, and one of the best producers. Nothing really to explain here. Do you really not like it?

>Produced by Madlib

That record has an aura of "art-rock" that the previous albums don't have. The savage spontaneity of the warped blues in Mirror Man is transformed into an artistically conscious program, albeit just as spastic. The humor of Safe As Milk is abandoned in favor of an eccentric but serious humor reminiscent of Erik Satie. The infernal fumes of Strictly Personal evolve into complex and angular harmonies.

In many ways this record is the equivalent of the Fantasia in Schumann's career. Adorno wrote that the Fantasia only seems the product of a madman, while in reality it is the expression of the madman one second before folly takes over.
The most notable difference from the earlier albums is the duration of the cuts, for the most part very short. Another superficial difference is in the instrumentation, augmented by horns.
The work is so innovative and complex as to be nearly indecipherable. The rhythm section sounds so polyrhythmic that all rhythm is lost. The singing , vaguely interested in music, travels within alien universes. The guitar acts as atonal contracanto. The counterpoint of the ensemble is something halfway between the orchestral chaos of Charles Ives and the audacity of John Cage. The chaotic but rational improvisation is reminiscent of the frenetic geometry of Ornette Coleman, who in turn was influenced by Van Vliet. The heterogeneous meter that Van Vliet produces are to melody what the free poetry of the 1900's are to rhyme. But free-jazz and avant garde music are only alibis, pretexts to freely vent the leader's anarchical compulsions. The album is by all accounts an anthology of chaos in all its musical forms. For as deeply varied as they are from one another, these twenty-eight cuts are many versions of the same scene of devastation. Trout Mask Replica is above all a collage of abstract paintings, each different from the other in color, intensity and contrast, yet they're all homogeneous in their "abstraction".

The incorporation of jazz elements in rap was unique for its time, and "Check the Rhime" is simply amazing. I should listen to this album more.
Cool concept, abstract lyrics which help it stand out from other hip-hop albums, and great production. It's such a good album.

Love every other release by them. Daisy took me a while to get into, but I agree with Fandagno on this one. I get each release is a sample of how theyve matured from the last. Are they now as exhausted as they sound?

don't listen to it for the lyrics, listen to how the rest on the instruments blend together. I hated this album for awhile until I tried listening to it for the atmosphere and feeling than the actual lyrical content and it felt much different. Its kind of like looking at picasso from a realism perspective. Of course it looks like shit at first glance, but the unique aesthetic makes in interesting once you get past the classically ugly appearance

A lot of its hooks are so weak that I could've come up with them, and Danny doesn't really rap about anything that hasn't been rapped about before. The song structures could be stronger too, I guess. It's OK, but I don't see why it's regarded so highly.

I also gave it a couple of listens and found it boring at first (even though I liked When You Sleep and Only Shallow).
So this one time I tried falling asleep to it. The vastness of the music would not let me sleep and I ended up loving it. Maybe try this.

The album still managed to be fun and catchy yet having such influence with ambient. Also the instrumental tracks are beautiful

Hey user. It clicked tonight. Thank you.

I would say that,sure,covering drug use and partying is not abnormal,but Danny Brown is one of the few rappers that has captured his experiences with drugs so vividly with his delivery and beat selection.

He sounds like a limey old uncle and it goes nowhere

No kidding, that's exactly what worked for me

a lot of people talk about "getting it" with this album, but it's more about surviving it. It's very intense and takes a few listens to start to really vibe, but its very good.

this. I like a lot of other Swans stuff like Children of God, To Be Kind, The Seer and even their no-wave stuff like Filth and Public Castration is a Good Idea. I kinda like Helpless Child but the rest of the album hasn't clicked for me yet

literally only 3 tracks have noise if i remember right.

I think one of the reasons why I like Danny is that he doesn't glorify drugs, although he uses them. He constantly raps about how fucked drugs are to him, his community, and how easily guys like him are preyed upon by internal and external actors.

though some others have loud or unpleasant intros

Unlike a lot of other noisy albums where the noise is just there to be noise or is there for some fashionable preening to critics who think noise in itself is deep, the noise on Spirit They're Gone has a major intended purpose.

The album's main theme is aging, the noise is there to legitimately damage your hearing so that you can never hear it the same way you did the first time, same way you can't experience things the way you did when you were a kid the first time.

while that is true, the lyricism is a lot more vivid than a lot of other music of this type I find. Also the production is glorious.

Give it a few more shots, this one is a real grower. Trust me when I say once you click with this one it clicks really, really hard.

you gotta be in a really shitty mood to enjoy this album at all.

Don't think too hard about it, this is just a very high-energy, fun folk album with lots of quotable lyrics.

I'm in the same boat. I'm really not a fan of MF Doom, the project I like the most was King Geedorah and that's probably specifically because he isn't on there as much.

Flower Boy isn't an amazing masterpiece album, it's just the first album by Tyler the Creator that is good and isn't complete and utter fucking trash.

yeah its the only one i can actually tolerate so since my standards were so low i was impressed

Helpless Child is probably the best track.
Also Disc 1 is very clearly better than Disc 2.
It's not recommended to listen to both back to back, and you definitely will end up listening to Disc 1 more.

Beyond that the album's use of looping and of real FBI interview tapes from Jarboe's dad and interviews with their family makes for an intensely uncomfortable listening experience at times. Also the sheer variety of the album is worth praising, for fuck's sake Volcano is a house song. Let alone stuff like Yum-Yab Killers and Hypogirl which seem to channel Swan's earlier days.

cheers mate, I had a feeling Disc 1 might be the one i'd end up preferring

madvillain is bretty gud and the one people praise more but i reckon you should listen to MM..Food first

I want to love it, but every time I try i'm just turned off by it

Honestly though whenever you work up to listening to the whole thing at once, that really is the more rewarding experience. I definitely think of the album as a whole rather than two separate parts, 100%.

Don't focus on just the noise. Focus on how well the album is actually written

t's not that the noise is meant to damage your hearing, it's that, as you age and your hearing naturally declines, you won't be able to hear the high frequencies on the album any more. Avey probably can't even hear them now

Same, but I hate psych and funk rock in general. Future Days is a 10/10 though

For me it's like being on a downward spiral of drug abuse, filled with bad trips and shit. Lots of albums have discussed it, but this one of the only, if not THE only, that captures the essence of it. And that alone makes it enjoyable to me

Definitely an album that you just have to absorb. It's hard to get through, especially due to its length, and I agree with that disc 1 is better, but once it does click, the raw energy on tracks like Helpless Child and The Sound really elevate it to the next level.

90% of the albums that Sup Forums likes

What do you mean it "goes nowhere"? Where was it supposed to end? Listen to Little Red Riding Hood Hit the Road by itself, devoid of the context of the album. If you can't get into that, the album just isn't for you.

Came into this thread just to post this album, nice choice user

This.

I just like the fact that Danny Brown can rap over any beat no matter how hard it seems

Fucking this. I only could bare listening to When You Sleep and Only Shallow at first, I think this may be because of theres a certain unique note that stands out in them which I love. But yeah just keep listening and it will click, user.

put it as loud as you can manage

took my about 5 listens to love it. I appreciate repetitive music though

ahead of his time (IMO)
I got introduced to him through a friend who put Place to Be in a mix tape she made me and I genuinely thought his music was recently made.
I can say I was shocked to discover it was made 20 years earlier than I estimated it to be.

Got through 3 tracks, I'm pretty sure my day is ruined.

This album probably sounds very nice to people with hearing so fucked they can't hear anything above 10KHz

>i'm gay like a gay man makes me want to suck dick like a gay man
>my raps are hard like a wall, walls are made out of bricks like clay
>i rap good like a sunny day my words are hot like the sun's rays
over-RATED

I need some help with a few.