Just watched it. Why didn't it get more attention and why didn't it get shown in cinemas in Japan...

Just watched it. Why didn't it get more attention and why didn't it get shown in cinemas in Japan? The most atmospheric cartoon I've seen yet.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_macaque
youtu.be/o_xy_GbNshY
iwaido.jp/densetsu.html
youtube.com/watch?v=_zagM1Memfw
youtube.com/watch?v=TWmx7icIfpg
youtube.com/watch?v=plXmbLAUTRg
youtu.be/Y14dDzGPFbs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's for children. Grow up.

Watch some thing with more contemporary vibes, like Doctor Strange, before you post.

>Doctor Strange
Didn't really like it that much.

>characters are all Japanese
>they act like fucking american

why didn;t they just create a fully fictional world instead?

This shit right here drives me nuts.

Explain acting Japanese/American
They didn't act like Americans. They acted like humans.

I didn't really like it. I can't stand the the stuttering of stop-motion films desu.

I just finished watching it too and loved it!
I'm not surprised it didn't do too well though, it's quite complex for a children's movie
It will probably win an oscar though and then everyone will watch it

I like it but despite having a very strong first act, it just tapers off over the last 2. 3rd act was very weak, and the ending really disappoints.

Movie was so fucking bad.

That ending was so trash.

I doubt it, I think it should win but I bet Zootopia will win. Which is fair enough since it was really good too.

Saw it and loved it, even though it was flawed. Watch the behind the scenes, these things are pure art. The amount of work that goes in to these kinds of films is insane.

>a good animated film
>actually getting an oscar

No, the oscar awards always go to the big-budgeted Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks trash. Every single time. The only time they didn't was with Spirited Away.

the ending was pretty disappointing and I'm confused why the grandfather turned back into a human,
what was he in the first place? I thought he was a moon god or something? weird storyline
It was a fun movie to watch still though

He is right though, even Tom Cruise's Last Samurai felt more Japanese than this multiculti clusterfuck.
First there is this monkey which is actually a Chinese/POO IN LOO cultural thing. They could have made her a tanuki or fox and it would have been fitting because those creatues are prominent in Japanese folklore.
Then there is that fucking beetle who acts like Buzz Lighyear, the only thing missing was him raising the American flag and singing AMERICA FUCK YEAH!
Thirdly I don't give enough of a shit to continue, but this thing was all over the place and felt rather Chinese than Japanese.
5/10 nice try.

I totally forgot about Zootopia
that's going to win for sure
I enjoyed that when I saw it in the cinema but thinking back, it was actually a pretty crappy movie and it's a movie I never want to watch again so that's a sign of a pretty bad film if you ask me

The plot was kinda shitty and I really disliked the last 10 minutes.

A good movie but Coraline and Paranorman were better.

>First there is this monkey which is actually a Chinese/POO IN LOO cultural thing.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_macaque

>contemporary vibes
What did he mean by this?

Those moon sister women were like Bloodborne bosses, that was pretty cool.

Also, stag beetle fights are a big thing in japan that kids do. It's the basically where the concept of pokemon comes from. (kids go out and catch bugs and make them fight) The pokemon heracross is even a fighting type for this reason.

So a stag beatle warrior is absolutely a japanese cultural thing and you're a dumbass.

>That ending was so trash.
It wasn't trash! It was the best ending that could have happened without being too happy end. Grandpa got a second chance at life and the people accepted him and forgave him so that Kubo could have a family member and that he would not be alone.

Rooney did a great job as them.

But his grandpa was a cunt who got his parents killed.

Yeah I loved the ending, I think people find it disappointing because they're so used to expecting cathartic "yay we beat the bad guy" endings, especially in kids films. The fact that they did what they did is infinitely more interesting and touching than Kubo killing his grandpa or something.

Please, if you don't know much about Japan no need to post bad things. Kubo timeline was inspired by 12th century Japan. Japan had close ties to China too, especially in the centuries that's further back... Please watch!
youtu.be/o_xy_GbNshY

Oh look someone used wikipedia to show me a money that is native to Japan.
Doesn't mean Japs give a shit about monkeys, retard.
>B-BUT IT SAYS RIGHT THERE IN THE CULTURAL DEPICTIONS!!!
They stil don't give a fuck and never have. Monkeys have always been a Chink/Indian thing.

this, there's enough movies out there where they just beat the bad guy

just watch Ghibli movies. While their characters might not actually mirror real Japanese person, but their demeanour essentially are all different to the American kids movie character.

>Im a retard with a surface level understanding of Jap culture
One California roll please!

Yes, killing is easy but to forgive and accept is not... There was no use killing an old man who had no memory of anything. Kubo can still have a family member, it is much better than being alone.

Yeah, The Hollywood Reporter even confirmed Oscar voters don't even watch the animated films...

ok buddy

butthurt Laikafaggot detected.
You failed at making a movie about Japan by picking some obscure creatues for your plot that are rather attributed to China and despite being influenced by Chinese culture over hundreds of years are rather extremely niche in Japan.
Next time you make a stop motion feature film about Japan watch less Kung Fu Panda.

>who_is_son_goku.tar

The video I linked for you to watch is from a Japanese person's perspective and he liked it!

I have watched them. Kubo characters don't struck me as acting abnormally for Japan. You need to remember that it's a cartoon that was not made by Japanese people and not made by Ghibli! So it cannot be exactly like Ghibli.

Reading this thread upsets me greatly. The fact that some of you have a hard time understanding the aspects of a folklore-inspired children's movie that promotes a positive message is concerning. No wonder all you tards watch are mind-numbing capeshit designed for the widest demographic of the population.

You don't have to like capeshit to think Kubo has a story that is complete shit. It's a beautiful piece of garbage.

This. I just don't understand the hate. It's like everyone's an expert on Japan here. This cartoon is a Japanese inspired fantasy world.

this is weeb territory bro

I know... I'm just starting to think that people hate it because it's not actually Japanese made. Acting like they are Japan experts is bad too. Japanese people, who have seen it, ended up liking it.

>It's like everyone's an expert on Japan here
This is a weeb site you fucking normie. Everyone knows more about Japane here than those retards at Laika that made Kung Fu Toy Story Light out of this.
>the aspects of a folklore-inspired
Japanese folklore my ass. More like A Chinese Ghost Story.

Only weebs care about how Japanese something is

kek

>visuals
10/10
stunning settings, great shots, excellent color, great monsters
>story
6/10
reasonable for a kid's movie. consistant, if a bit predictable
>pacing
3/10
this is where it falls apart. climactic scenes are anticlimactic, poor comedic interjection in serious scenes, no sense of urgency, foreshadowing falls flat

passive-aggressive butthurtism at its finest.

it's not passive aggressive he directly called you a retard

God, the visuals were fantastic but the story was so fucking disappointing. Fuck the people who were all like:
>uuuh go and watch it because it's doing so poorly, it deserves a lot more attention!

>why aren't Westerners making a movie for a Western audience being 100% true to what I think is tru Niohnese folklore?
Just go watch Monogatari and stop bitching

Monogatari has a monkey in it so it's chinese bullshit too. Fucking japs making fake japanese folklore.

Yeah, fuck Japan and its un-japanese folk tales about monkeys native to Japan
iwaido.jp/densetsu.html

did the sisters cause a sense of unease for anyone else?

I thought the voice acting was well done and their demeanor was creepy for a kids movie

the masks is what probably caused it for me

I went and watched the movie with my dad. he liked it but he expressed real concern about the pg 6 rating. i love my lil old dad

youtube.com/watch?v=_zagM1Memfw

>their demeanor was creepy for a kids movie
it's weird what triggers kids. my 2 year old didn't care about the sisters, but he freaked out when kubo's mom went catatonic.

Impressive amount of work went into making it.
Really liked the visuals, story and ending were awful.

The credits were so based

youtube.com/watch?v=TWmx7icIfpg

Could this be the end of stop motion films?

This was their worst grossing movie to date, forget even making 100m, it barely made over their budget

the poor comedy is my only real problem. the beetle wasn't funny at all most of the time, the only times I actually laughed out loud were the visual gags with the paper samurai

I think regina spektor is kinda underrated. She pretty much made the soundtrack for 500 days of summer what it is. She should do more movie soundtracks.

Was it actually stop motion? This entire time I've been believing it was CGI made to look like stop motion.

the owner of laika is the son of nike money so I really doubt laika's going anywhere

Laika is a privately owned company run by the son of the owner of Nike. They can do whatever they want for eternity.

That's also why their films are so high quality, they can afford to just keep people on so there's none of the constant turnover of talent that other animation studios have.

Animation was great and worth seeing just for that. Voice acting was meh, hate when they just get celebs who can't voice act for an animated movie. Plot was threadbare.

Overall I really enjoyed it as a visual experience but Box Trolls was 10x better as a movie.

I felt Boxtrolls had a shittier pacing, it slogs real bad in the middle

I'm surprised the son of the owner of Nike would even bother making movies when he could milk all that sweet money.
Either way I like their movies and they show that they put a lot of hard work into them so props to them

>Voice acting was meh
agreed. voice talent>name recognition. theron and mcconoughy (sp?) were both super fucking flat. and their characters didn't play off each other very well. the "parents arguing over their child" sctick was outright awful. would have worked better if there was an positive connection between the characters, instead of a negative one like that.

kubo, the sisters, and the moonking were good, though.

guess who voiced Kubo
little Rickon Stark

Well, OP, why the fuck did you not go see it in the cinema?

agreed, the sisters were amazing

I would have also liked to see more voice actors of japanese heritage. including them in something made from their culture and all that

back to your general

This is one of my favorite movies of all time. It just struck so many chords with me.

was crying for almost half the movie, either from the sadness or the beauty

>As Chilly Tee, Knight released one rap album, 1993's Get Off Mine, and single of the same name. It featured production from The Bomb Squad and Knight wrote most of the lyrics. Knight is quoted in the Portland Monthly as saying:
>"Nobody bought that record... I liked making music, but I hated the performing part of it. I think there’s a reason most animators are hidden behind giant curtains. They’re not meant for the spotlight."
Thank god his rap career tanked

It's stop motion

youtube.com/watch?v=plXmbLAUTRg

There is a little CGI put in after like for the smoke and a bit of the water, but even then most of the water is stop motion. It's pretty amazing

I'd make movies too.

I mean...it's not terrible
youtu.be/Y14dDzGPFbs

the 90s were a mistake

Leave it to Roonroon to be creepy and cause uneasiness