Just watched The Thin Red Line last night

7/10, good movie. I dozed off a few times and it's just too slow for its own good, but it maintained my attention enough to keep watching and delivered just enough powerful moments for me to say it's at least good.

Does the majority of Sup Forums like this movie, or is it just a very vocal minority?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S2wL9AawlDA
youtube.com/watch?v=xw08GQw0hBI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Also, was I the only one who thought George Clooney showing up at the end was utterly jarring?
It made Ted Danson showing up in Saving Private Ryan and mowing down a bunch of Germans look subtle.

>I dozed off a few times and it's just too slow for its own good

You fucking pleb

It's true though, way too much time dragging out scenes that would be more effective if made brief.

bump

It made me actually wonder what obsession Malick has with putting famous actors in his movies, even for small roles. As I watching it, it kinda had some impact on me suddenly and so close to end seeing Clooney
Less tiring? Maybe. More effective? I doubt that... You see it's a war movie. It has its moments where it's pretty fast as it should be and others that it goes slow, which are outside the battlefield. It gets you closer to the soldier's despair IMO.

Also does the last shot refer to the "each standing to light of the other" line? Other than a peaceful and nice shot< I don't get if it is supposed to mean something?
>I know it's plebbish to ask something like that but I have been wondering that for a while

I didn't get the last shot either

Yes I love it. Most beautiful movie i've ever watched

5/5 for me.

Very good movie, extremely underrated.

I found it a bit slow in the beginning but the battles are amazing and the cinematography is godly

I bought it recently but haven't come around watching it yet.

That's strange, I watched it again today and though it was a 9.5/10. I didn't think it was slow at all.

It's beautiful, it makes me tear up, apperciate nature, peace and the chance to be alive.

All I remember from this flick is that woody Harrelson gets his ass blown off
Shit flick, 2/10

>the last shot
The entire movie is a war of man vs nature (one that man is waging on nature, not vice versa), the Japanese representing nature in many ways.

The last shot is essentially the victory of nature. Against all odds, in salty water, surrounded by sand, that plant still lived.

Sounds gay as phuck

>mfw we will never get the five hour edition

youtube.com/watch?v=S2wL9AawlDA

A masterpiece.

It's the best war film ever made. The score and scenery and acting were all entirely absorbing. My only gripe is that the multitude of what were basically cameos (Travolta, Clooney) were a little jarring, but that's not really a fault of the movie, just our perception of it. And it's not so much that Malick is obsessed with big names filling small roles as it was many roles get trimmed out taken out entirely

Wasn't Adrian Brody supposed to be the main character originally?

He was. Poor lad, probably went through hell and no one will ever see it.
You can actually tell pretty clearly that his role was cut when you watch the movie. They show him way too many times just to be a background character, and yet he only speaks 2-3 sentences and only in one scene.

The non-stop existential poetry narration is cringeworthy trash and it ruined the movie completely.

Sounds about right. Only thing that bothers me in that description is that I saw nature as a "side victim" of the man vs man war, because I think the film is also about the interhuman battle, but I guess I can re watch it and see for myself. Thanks.

I don't think the film is solely about the man vs nature fight, but with aspects such as the endless scenes of wildlife, the portrayal of burnt grass and trees a the Allies advance, the Allies literally fighting a hill (they're getting shot from inside it), and the final Japanese assault (in which they are covered in foliage) intercut with predatory animals, I think the man vs nature aspect is pretty major.
I'm not some profound film critic though, just my observations from watching it today

6/10. Nothing special about it.

the majority of people, not just Sup Forums, kinda circlejerk this movie as being an intellectual option to saving private ryan for example.

i like the soundtrack and the cinematography (as with most of terry's flicks), but the "plot" and the characters in this movie are seriously lacking. also i feel sorry for adrien brody and how he was treated by the director.

watch the pacific instead, or better yet read the book most of it is based on. bit of a shame we don't have many movies / tv series set in the pacific theater.

It's a close 10/10 movie

I has expected more from it my first time around as I was somewhat underwhelmed but I couldn't stop thinking about it and what it all meant and now it's one of my favorite movies, possibly my favorite Malick.

Only real gripe is that it has way too many big name actors.

Nice trips

I remember seeing Clooney, Travolta, Penn, and a few others heavily, HEAVILY advertised on the front of the box for an "all star cast!"
Then in the movie they're barely around, Travolta shows up for like a few seconds and Clooney just appears at the end
Penn is there...kinda

It just reeked of shameless advertisement

welcome to malick movies m8

the tree of life was advertised like a drama set in the 50s starring brad pitt.

Not to say thos movie doesn't have a plot, but the narrative isn't the main focus of the movie. It's more of the exploration of the "human vs nature" theme that Malick also did with his first two movies. This movie isn't about an individual's experience in a war, it's about the war in general. The characters are just the backdrop of it. War doesn't give a crap about who you are or what your story is. You get killed and that's it. That's why I 'd say the characters lacking any real depth is justifiable.

kek
Daily Reminder:
youtube.com/watch?v=xw08GQw0hBI

Malick is an absolute mad man, Adrien Brody though the whole time HE was gonna be the protagonist of that movie.

>It was at this point that editor Billy Weber came on board, and they spent 13 months in post-production and the last four months mixing the film, using four Avid machines with a fifth added at one point.[15] Malick edited the footage one reel at a time with the sound off while listening to a Green Day CD.[16]

clooney is so dominant in that discussion though, none of these actor / director roundtables work very well because of so many egos involved.

the one with will smith is the worst

Garbage movie plot is shit its just preachy war is bad shit.

I've seen the Pacific, great show

indeed, and that's a good point. if you like that then fine.

but for me, tv shows like bob are so great because you get to know, and empathize with the characters. already in the first episode we get to know who these people are who are dying.

Yeah I agree, I love the cinematography in his films and Tree of Life is one of my favorite films but man did Bad Lands and Thin Red Line get boring as shit, particularly in their whole 'wow we have it so rough here right guys' attitude which I didn't buy in the slightest.