Can someone please explain to me why a 357 magnum is supposedly more powerful than a 38...

can someone please explain to me why a 357 magnum is supposedly more powerful than a 38? 38 means the bullet it is bigger, right???

Attached: 2-ti608049_1.jpg (550x550, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

diffen.com/difference/.357_Magnum_vs_.38_Special
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

higher pressure, but idfk anything i just looked it up on google
diffen.com/difference/.357_Magnum_vs_.38_Special

The bullet diameter is the same for both. You can fire a 38 out of a 357 Mag, but not the other way around. The 357 cartridge is longer, with more powder, so it's a higher power round.

Same bullet diameter, more powder behind the magnum round because the case is longer.

i thought the 38, 45, 357, 9mm was the width size of the bullet. this make no sense.

/thread

Also is this way.

.357 and .38 are the same caliber, which means the bullets have the same diameter. As was already mentioned, .357 is a much hotter load which means a higher pressure, and thus a higher muzzle velocity. if a firearm can fire .357, then it can fire .38, but the opposite is not always true.

.38, .357, and 9mm are. .45 is much larger

Yes but theres not a whole lot of difference in width of the casing between some calibers.

Again the difference is that theres more power and there fore more energy behind the .357

No owning a .44 rem mag...

if 357 and 38 are the same diameter then what the number even mean? the number is supposed to tell you the size of the bullet right?

No the number is the name of the cartridge.
.357Mag, .38 Special, 9mm Parabellum, .380 Automatic Colt Pistol, etc.

357 and 38 bullets ARE NOT the same diameter.

The CARTRIDGES have the same diameter. 357 expands more in the chamber as it is fired because more pressure.

Attached: 1521428801313m.jpg (577x1024, 49K)

take a easily googled gun question to Sup Forums. you niggers getting trolled.

.38 is referring to the neck and base diameter, which is actually .379 rounded up

.357 is the diameter of the bullet itself. .38 Special cartridges also shoot a .357 bullet, but the. 38 Special cartridge is shorter than a .357 Magnum cartridge.

This nigga is right.

Attached: 1521335359283.jpg (429x410, 37K)

i see that's why you can fit one bullet in the other. it's the base of the bullet not the slug.

thanks i get it now.

Yes, they are the exact same diameter. .357”/9.1mm - they both obturate the same otherwise you’d blow the barrel if it swelled too much.

Np user.

Have kittens.

Attached: 1521327785932.jpg (800x500, 133K)

Attached: 2+mv2.jpg (960x720, 25K)

post this in /k/ for even more literal answers and more mega lulz very good work gentlemen

this guy
doesn't know what he's talking about. ignore him

i only browese Sup Forums

How the cartridges got named that way I don't know. Its a few hundreths of an inch difference in the name, but the actual size is the same.

I used to own a 357, and yes I used to shoot 38 special rounds out of it all the time, mainly to save money on ammo.

The 357 case (the brass part) is longer, so it holds more gunpowder, so it can push the bullet faster. The "power" of a gun isnt just about diameter - its about the weight of the bullet and how fast it exits the barrel.

well incase you dont know .38 ia bettar than 357 cause its .003 biggar lol! duh! dont try to tell me otherwise cuz I R navy seal and I know evryting bout weapans

Post this to /k/ and people will respond like it's one of Andy sixx's warm creamy logs

You're a little late and that math is off.

For extra lulz, note that the diameter of a .38 Special bullet is equal to 9mm Luger.

Somebody say log?

Attached: 1512948346962.jpg (1171x1612, 162K)

Attached: 1512948464722.jpg (1436x2004, 387K)

Bingo, same reason a .223 is a helluva lot stronger than a .25

The bullet is exactly the same size, .357 diameter. The first widely used and very effective revolver from the 19th century was the .36 caliber colt. The 1851 navy was used by the union army in the civil war. The bullet was .357, rounded up to .36, which is where the caliber got its name. This was a percussion revolver, which means it was a cap-and-ball gun which had to be reloaded by removing the empty cylinder and inserting a loaded one, or loading each cylinder individually in the gun with a plunger attached underneath the barrel. Powder, wadding, packing, bullet, primer outside the cylinder, etc.

With the advent of loaded cartridge rounds in the mid 19th century, percussion revolvers became less and less common, used today as sport or hobby guns nearly exclusively. But there were many of them out there at the time, so a lot of them were machines and converted to take a cartridge round (where the bullet was pressed into a casing with the powder and primer already filled and fitted). The original ones were measured at the casing, not the bullet, which measures .38, a bit wider than the round itself. The projectile was still .357 wide. This led to the .38 short, the .38 long, the .38 special, and finally the .357 magnum. All of them have the same size bullet, just more powder behind it and a longer shell casing. A revolver chambered in .357 magnum will fire a .38 special, but a .357 round is too long (and often too powerful even if it did fit due to a weaker frame and cylinder) to fire from a revolver exclusively chambered for .38 special. They will fire .38 shorts and longs as well.

TL/DR .38 and .357 are the exact same bullet, .38 was originally measured at the shell casing, .357 has more powder behind the bullet.

Wow. Just wow. You from Everytown?