How do you define psychedelic music? What makes a song psychedelic? You can listen to anything while tripping...

How do you define psychedelic music? What makes a song psychedelic? You can listen to anything while tripping. Is it supposed to be reminiscent of the feeling you get on a psychedelic trip?

People always say, for instance, that Merriweather Post Pavilion is psychedelic pop but literally nothing about it sounds psychedelic to me. It just sounds like pop. From my own experience on psychedelic drugs, I would say that techno, industrial, and black metal are much better examples of psychedelic music.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/PE9yh9yNUOc
youtube.com/watch?v=i-TSiE33-4s
youtube.com/watch?v=hrDdQNjjpoU
youtube.com/watch?v=YZ0fH26kF8M
youtube.com/watch?v=BeVRp4vhpP0
youtube.com/watch?v=kKZ9cIPvtbU
youtube.com/watch?v=35SMminXGWE&list=RDEMsbv-M6LwmXAVcKCX3QvHMA
youtube.com/watch?v=BXO3nkcvXDI
youtube.com/watch?v=dLWjhvezJRY
youtube.com/watch?v=44Mx3yg8hoM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

youtu.be/PE9yh9yNUOc

this is pretty much the definition of psychedelic music to me: youtube.com/watch?v=i-TSiE33-4s

>MPP doesn't sound psychedelic
>techno, industrial, and black metal
Sounds like you need to trip in the sunshine and lighten up desu

>define psychedelic music
Music that evokes the psychedelic. Alternatively, and as it's used maybe more commonly, music that sounds like 60's psychedelic music.

This is very psychedelic I'd say: youtube.com/watch?v=hrDdQNjjpoU

In my experience on psychedelic drugs especially acid, it's a very intense, primal experience. Music with a hard beat and abrasive sounds and textures feels much more psychedelic to me than delicate little fairy music like the Beatles or Animal Collective.

This reminds me of my first acid trip. I didn't even listen to this at the time but it evokes the feeling I had on acid.

youtube.com/watch?v=YZ0fH26kF8M

>Is it supposed to be reminiscent of the feeling you get on a psychedelic trip?

Essentially yeah, you sorta need to have tried a psychedelic before in order to completely understand what makes psychedelic music psychedelic. Which IMO is why artists like Zappa don't sound psychedelic to me, as they don't really know what a psychedelic experience entails. Personally I always find that there's a certain itch good psychedelic music scratches with the way the guitar is played, the intensity and pitch of it, and the bombardment of noise while still being in harmony.

Psychedelic pop is sort of an oxymoron of a genre IMO, and I don't think I've ever heard any decent psych pop at all.

This is probably the heaviest psychedelic song you can find and by one of the most psychedelic bands as well. Raga rock with an intense sitar is just about the only thing that can get trippier.

>>Essentially yeah, you sorta need to have tried a psychedelic before in order to completely understand what makes psychedelic music psychedelic.
not true btw

I have different experience with LSD I guess. I wouldn't describe my experiences as primal at all. Mushrooms I would definitely describe as primal and darker. LSD for me is bright and electric and like riding a crazy wave of pure insight and positive energy.

>insight

Enjoy your schizophrenia xD

Psych rock should have you questioning whether you've been listening to it for 1 minute, 5 minutes or it's been on repeat for the last hour

Psychedelic directly refers to the state one experiences while on a psychedelic. Psychedelic music is derived from this state. If you've never tripped before, you can study the byproducts of the trip (psychedelic music) and look for patterns within it, but you won't really understand the source material for said music (the trip). Which is why there's countless artists making 'psychedelic' music that isn't psychedelic at all

Enjoy your fear (or get past it. probably get past it.)

Lmao did lsd several times no fear at all
Accepting weird bullshit as enlightment is schizophrenia to the max bro

>you sorta need to have tried a psychedelic before in order to completely understand what makes psychedelic music psychedelic.
As I said, I have done psychedlic drugs and this 60s "psychedelic rock" sound does not actually evoke the feeling of tripping for me.

LSD feels more like this to me.
youtube.com/watch?v=BeVRp4vhpP0

If you've done LSD several times and don't think there's any insight to be had there, you're probably doing it the wrong way and are probably pretty immature.

Just passing weird stuff off as bullshit is kinda closed minded don't you think? Not something I'd expect from someone who has tried psychedelics :^)

Nothing actually matters or has a meaning xD

>I am an NPC

>Is it supposed to be reminiscent of the feeling you get on a psychedelic trip?

"no"

Should I put it up my sphincter or what

Dude you're pathetic, enlightment on acid is just brainwashing.

Why are you so hostile? Oh, that's right, because you're a low IQ NPC person with no soul.

Who are you quoting?

You. The NPC person.

Why would I want to let dirt inside my house

I'd say it's about building thick atmosphere through intentionally repetitive, in part abrasively simple, yet always subtly changing layers of sound, with synthesis/mixing/distortion/noise/texture often being more important than melody. Basically music that is to some extent designed to induce trance and serve as a background for conscious imagination.

"citation needed"

This is the ultimate psychedelic music. Nothing else comes close.

youtube.com/watch?v=kKZ9cIPvtbU

You clearly have got some comprehension problems + you surely got schizophrenic because you took some mind play on acid too seriously, seek help

Acid isn't enlightening in and of itself but you're an idiot if you don't see how an altered state of consciousness can give you new perspective and insight on life and your own thoughts/views

Comprehension problems? You're proudly espousing nihilism. You are an NPC. Not my fault you're too stupid to follow a conversation. Do some meditation or something. Maybe you can save your soul if you still have one / ever had one.

>delicate little fairy music like the Beatles or Animal Collective
kek

Recipe for a bad trip right here

I'm aware of that, but I only see it as some funny stuff you make up while being under the influence of a potent drug, like meditating in the middle of a forest on coke weed and amphetamines and seeing faces of forest ghosts while freestyling a better rhyme scheme than average eminem song

It's just a game ;)

Recipe for a fucking awesome trip you mean

Ride the tiger, fag

Are you trolling

You'd probably like these:
youtube.com/watch?v=35SMminXGWE&list=RDEMsbv-M6LwmXAVcKCX3QvHMA

youtube.com/watch?v=BXO3nkcvXDI

No. I know it can be shocking for an NPC to encounter someone who actually has a soul.

Ok you're trolling lmao

Not trolling. And the fact that you can't comprehend that other people actually have real value systems and non-vacuous, non-post-modern, non-ironic ways of understanding the world, shows the really fucking sad state you're in.

Assimilation, imageboards are a hostile place

Thank you for ghostwriting, that will be what I tell a satanist next time I see one

>I am disconnected from reality and can't comprehend what people are saying, I just type in my bullshit without any context or reference to the things other people say

>but you won't really understand the source material for said music (the trip).
not true btw

funny how a thread about psychs turns into assholes whining about whos taken a trip or not. jfc

Again, if you really can't understand how my posts are related to yours, (which I find hard to believe - you're just trying to find ways to insult me because you're a low IQ NPC as we've discussed) it's your cognitive/comprehension problem, not mine.

>you don't understand psychedelic music if you've never done psychedelics
Do you know music theory?

I agree

Just kiss already you faggots

This is more psychedelic than any 60s rock or p4k festival tumblrpop

youtube.com/watch?v=dLWjhvezJRY

>not listening to traditional Western art music while tripping
You hippie scum are the reason that normalfaggots think LSD is all wishy washy new age woo shit, and not the intellectually enlightening experience that it can be with the proper mindset and preparation.

youtube.com/watch?v=44Mx3yg8hoM

>and not the intellectually enlightening experience
please enlighten us on what you have accomplished

>enlightenment = worldly accomplishments
Want to know how I know you're a pleb/psychopath?

yeah i've done drug before

Did you ever considered the possibility that you're wrong? I had many friends who were just like you after a trip. After some mild psychotherapy it was gone and they were fine again. Had the problem too but since I'm smart I smoked a fat bowl and layed off my narcisstic stubbornness.

So... you've done nothing with yourself.

Congrats.

Wrong about what? I haven't said anything about my views in this entire thread except that I'm not a nihilist and I believe in something I'm calling a "soul".

i never said anything about worldly. i just asked what have you done since the enlightenment

Not that user, but:
>Before Enlightenment chop wood carry water, after Enlightenment, chop wood carry water

Take this as an opportunity to refine yours, then. Nihilism is a necessary phase of one's philosophical development. I suspect we agree in that it's not a great place to stay, but you're doing no good by tearing others down and holding yourself smugly superior.

Step back and think. You can do better than this.

>what have you done brah? Bro you need to do something productive mang. Contribute to society bro. You need to work for Mr. Shekelberg and go in debt to get a nice house bruh
Great post

never said any of that. i just want to know whats the difference post-enlightenment

there is no "necessary phase" of one's philosophical development. Furthermore, it's entirely possible to regard nihilism and at once dismiss it as not worth considering, being that it's arguably a philosophical dead end, much like solipsism, although nihilism has admittedly more ground to cover before it reaches the end than solipsism which is a beautifully concise, yet fairly useless philosophy. Much like religion and dogma is a form of philosophical suicide, a firm belief in nihilism leads one to depression at worst and worldly indifference at best.

I mean your whole approach. You seem to be unable to accept that your thought process could be wrong.

I accept that my thought process could be wrong. Is that what you wanted? If you have a specific criticism or think a specific thing I've said is wrong, say so. Otherwise you're just saying "well like... uh... whatever you think man... it could like be wrong yknow....". Not really substantive.

If you want to honestly consider meaning, you really should give nihilism the time of day. But I guess you're just superior to us plebs. You're the smartest dude, well done.

I'm the original user who was telling nihilist retard user to fuck off. I think nihilism is a thing you might go through on your journey. Sure. And everyone around you who knows better should tell you to fuck off when you go there.

If you accept it, well fine then.

>And everyone around you who knows better should tell you to fuck off when you go there.
Right, and there are more and less productive ways to do that. Yours is unnecessarily smug and counterproductive. Hell, the original post was probably just an user memeing.

Oops, my bad, I didn't realize that you took my "nothing has a meaning" post seriously which has lead you to the fallacy of thinking I'd be a nihilist. Have a nice day.

>fallacy
It's not a fallacy if you were willingly being deceptive

It was irony, as you could poit out after seeing the xD which ist often used to give something a infantile connotation or to give a hint towards the attribute of a statement which can be described as joke. Why? Because nihilism is what people after taking a trip often believe in, basically. Of course besides of the "everything is just a game" stuff which is kind of the same or at least connected with it.

I wasn't the guy you were talking to, I don't care about your shitposting

Just letting you know you mispoke

I didn't bother reading your whole wall of text btw

Have fun ;)

With what?

Copypasta

Which post I replied to was copypasta?

So that you can clean it up. Perhaps grow a plant in it. And besides a little dirt is healthy for you.

That's a very good question.

Have fun ;)

I've got enough work to do without having dirt in my house and also I eat from the floor, don't need any dirt in here

Thank you, going to install all of those games.

OK shouldn't you be at work right now though?

This is my work.

Goodbye

Goody Goody

Psychedelic means nothing. Music is and always has been a very spacial, creative, abstract "heady" thing. The way I hear it used I "psychedelic" means the instrumentation is novel to the listener.

Acid just opens up your mind and makes you more receptive to the things going on around you, hyper awareness and that kind of thing. Whatever you put into your mind while on it will have an effect. I've seen people come out of the experience burnouts and seen some come out with life-altering revelations. It's all dependent on you.

Shit that sounds like 13th floor elevators and seeds but also beatles and beach boys.

welcome to the world of psychedelics friend

It’s sad that a question asked by OP has turned into a bunch of unbalanced hyper-masculine energy battling each other over who’s right.

In short: Psychedelics have thought me that every moment in youre life is full of meaning and worth a damn. Life seems to be energetic sequences (lessons so to speak) that stem from trauma and insecurity that one faces. Which means everyone is healing at their own pace, and that what may make sense to you personally about the world, creation, astronomy, etc probably will not be empathetically understood by anyone, so I’ve found it best to just accept where anyone is in their life (light and dark energy are both necessities so that we can all face what we need to face through the insecurities and trauma we have) and to just show love man, pure unconditional love is enlightenment.
And I’m very far being being “enlightened” but internal and Psychedelic experiences have helped me feel d meaning in everything and that “care doesn’t equal love, especially went attachments are involved”, which is why gratitude is so important

Yeah but why not just doing it recreationally and not with the intention of enlightment

I knew a dude who was actually a cool guy but then he started to go deeper into some pseudoscience and esotheric bullshit, secret "knowledge" and weird philosophy, then he was taking acid and now he's just an asshole who participates in some literally gay rituals, takes nothing seriously (but is very serious about it) and thinks that anybody who is trying to help him actually wants to harm him because he is one of the chosen ones or something like that... besides of that he thinks he is a magician and that nobody can prove anything but thats a whole different story. I've experienced similar occurances on other people, they started to be a junkie, a weirdo, an ignorant idiot who thinks he has talked to god and knows everything better while being a slave and ayou bitch towards certain things.
Really nothing bad about an acid trip and having sex with a beautiful girl or walking through the forest or something else, but if you take it too seriously you might have gone legitimately crazy.

>bitching about masculinity

Are you feeling insecure around certain people?

I just personally find it sad that people can’t just respect other people’s opinions and have a nice discussion rather than a hyper masculine argument.

I just find it to be my calling card to help men with their emotions, does that make you insecure? (Reflective fear)

Do you perhaps like goa, user?

Does anybody else feel completely exhausted and worn out but at the same time, still too wired to sleep the day after an acid trip?

That first one's a real good song man ill definitely try this one next time

Okay then, cool.

No, I fucking hate Goa. In fact I hate most kinds of electronic dance music.

That's a shame.
What psychedelic stuff do you like?

Everything that drones. I like noise more than rhythm.

That's actually aptly put. Nihilism is a state of complete lack of belief in inherent values. After that you can start building your own personal values from the ground up, and properly motivated. They are much more true values as a result.