Let's be blunt. Martin is never going to finish ASOIAF...

Let's be blunt. Martin is never going to finish ASOIAF. He has no idea how and chances are he'll "end it" with a blog post after GOT Season 8 saying it's just not worth it for him to finish the series after so many of his plot points were used in the show and a short bulleted list of some things he had planned for The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring.

Game of Thrones is dying a slow death. Season 7 looks horrendous, Season 5 and 6 were severely subpar. Any kind of political subtlety or complex character motivation was thrown out after season 4. It has been replaced by Westworld as the show to watch.

In 20 years Game of Thrones will be remembered like 24, a great and innovative show with a good run that had unfortunately used up every plot twist it had by the later seasons. Without an ending, almost no one will read ASOIAF.

It's sad, but it's true.

Other urls found in this thread:

openculture.com/2014/04/j-r-r-tolkien-snubs-a-german-publisher.html
tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Racism_in_Tolkien's_Works#Dwarves_as_Jews
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>that feel when will never be as educated or talented as J.R.R. Tolkien

He's old and fat, he'll probably die of health issues within ten years.

Seriously doubt he'll finish the series.

Martin "made it", he has all the money he needs to live comfortably for the rest of his life. If I were him I wouldn't bother writing the rest either tbqh.

Philology was Tolkien's biggest passion and you don't do that shit for money.

You'll never achieve his greatness in fantasy, nor will anyone else. It was a different time back then when he was alive and in his prime.

People celebrated Christianity and the various mythos, now it's reviled because it's part of white culture. Nowadays, people are more concerned with putting in parts of liberal culture into fantasy games to please their egos, instead of simply trying to tell a good story.

It's a sad time we live in. Trump won't change a damn thing.

>Ruling is hard. This was maybe my answer to Tolkien, whom, as much as I admire him, I do quibble with. Lord of the Rings had a very medieval philosophy: that if the king was a good man, the land would prosper. We look at real history and it’s not that simple. Tolkien can say that Aragorn became king and reigned for a hundred years, and he was wise and good. But Tolkien doesn’t ask the question: What was Aragorn’s tax policy? Did he maintain a standing army? What did he do in times of flood and famine? And what about all these orcs? By the end of the war, Sauron is gone but all of the orcs aren’t gone – they’re in the mountains. Did Aragorn pursue a policy of systematic genocide and kill them? Even the little baby orcs, in their little orc cradles?

>The war that Tolkien wrote about was a war for the fate of civilization and the future of humanity, and that’s become the template. I’m not sure that it’s a good template, though. The Tolkien model led generations of fantasy writers to produce these endless series of dark lords and their evil minions who are all very ugly and wear black clothes. But the vast majority of wars throughout history are not like that.

BASED fat man BTFO old fuck Token

It's not just Trump though. The right win / nationalism is spreading like wildfire across the world. Give it maybe five years and we'll see a return to those days. We might see media about King Arthur or the British Empire that aren't dripping with shame or warped by liberalism. The old myths and heroes might retake their place as figures to be admired instead of reviled once more.

Martin is a hack writer anyway. He relies on shock deaths and introducing new characters to keep it interesting and when he doesn't know what to do with them anymore he kills them or forgets about them. Only the first 2 books were good tb-h

>BAWWW WHY IS FANTASY FANTASTIC IT SHOULD BE REALISTIC!!!!
the autists ruining genre fiction

He still would've been extremely based even if LOTR never existed at all.
I wish I had the brains and willpower to become a linguistic genius.

>letting Hollywood adapt a work in progress

Bro he wrote fan fiction about fairy tales

In a generation or two, no one will even care that there was a GOT book series.

The LOTR has never gone out of print.

Edgy and realistic does not equal better.

>Philology was Tolkien's biggest passion and you don't do that shit for money.

THIS

Reminder that Tolkien wrote his entire mythos over 30 years as a fun way for him to create his own languages and present his own personal moral code that was colored by his Christian upbringing and absolute mastery of language from a literary and scientific point of view.

Studying him in my linguistics classes was some of the best fun I had in college (besides shitposting of course).

And yeah, I posted THAT image. Let the comfy LotR lorethread commence!

>muh realism
Everything wrong with fiction today.

Unfortunately 90% of popular fantasy made in the past 30 years has been gritty and realistic. Even if they're well written I have no interest because it's all the same 'main character is a grim jerkoff soldier who rolls around in the mud and all our leaders are evil' shit over and over.

i just wanna sail through the door of night

Even his marriage is a better love story than we could ever write.

He lived in better times. Back when romance and modesty actually mattered.

ASOIAF books are incredibly intricate and do a good job of subverting tropes and fueling speculation. Tolkien's works are genius in a different way; his comfy worldbuilding and language still shit on newer fantasy writers.

But Tolkien wrote dozens of books outside of LotR, and GRRM can't even finish his main series. He's a fat, lazy piece of shit. Tolkien wins.

>68 years old and overweight
Ain't looking good.

>the last woman he married was back in 2011
We all know what her plans are.

Yeah better times when you could be ostracised for marrying someone from a slightly different denomination of Christianity and then fight at the Somme.

I think most fans of the books and show have blinders on. The first few books and seasons are good but the rest are so bad. I wish I would have counted them but I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't over 100 fakeout deaths. That trope is so overused it's almost as disgusting as Martins view on sex. Of the 100's of different instances of sex in the series there's only 2 or 3 that happen between a married man and woman. The rest is gay, bestiality, incest, or rape. There's something wrong with him.

according to Martin his sudden and shocking deaths is actually from reading LOTR and being shocked that Gandalf died 'without warning.'

Game of Thrones has always been pulp. It is crass, lowbrow, and made to be sold in a kiosk. Perfect for television and also why it was such a big hit.

Pulp is what the people want. Give them sex and death and they will be satisfied, show some dick and pussy, have some intrigue and drama and they are sold.

The medieval setting is just a skin. Pulp on television is soap opera. Game of Thrones is soap opera, and it can continue well beyond season 8 if they so well pleases.
People love a good soap.

>and do a good job of subverting tropes and fueling speculation

Yeah like a POV character fakeout deaths. So original.

I've read better pulp fantasy than ASOIAF too, the problem is that retard millennials mistake it for high brow literature.

that would make it wonderfully ironic, since he failed to see why any of it worked or why it happened
he just does it because he saw someone better do it

I have read the books several times and I enjoy discussing and speculating about them, with their prophecies and symbolism. But Tolkien is far superior.

>People celebrated Christianity and the various mythos, now it's reviled because it's part of white culture.

Are you insane, you can't pick up a book or watch a tv show without running into christian symbolism and mythology. Its fucking everywhere.

The bible is basically required reading if you want to understand English literature. The fact that you think it is reviled says volumes about you.

more to the point Gandalf's death was foreshadowed before they got to Moria, Martin's just a fucking idiot and was more concerned with Aragorn's taxes

I've never liked this comparison. Martin is just a writer. He deals in cheap thrills. Yes, his plotting is rather impressive in its intricacy but he's not above titillating his audience with sex and death when all else fails.

Tolkien is in another league entirely. I'm not saying LOTR is some kind of literary masterwork but his entire body of work has much more academic merit than Martin's.

Martin is the sort of person that kept asking why none of the characters were taking a shit, or the fellowship had to stop for piss breaks.

>innovative
wtf show are you watching?

there is Nothing innovative about game of thrones

its unimaginative overrated drivel

Oh look, it's /tg/ given human form

in 20 years we'll have a super AI that can scan the other books and come up with a better ending than the fat man ever could.

/Thread/

Yeah but he was only asking that because of his scat fetish

>But what about Faramir's dick? What if it was too small to satisfy Eowyn and she began an illicit sexual relationship with Eomer? These are the questions Tolkien doesn't address and that I wanted to explore, because real life isn't a fairy tale.

>Season 1

The Others are coming and Daenerys is across the sea.

>Season 2-5

Filler

>Season 6

The Others are coming and Daenerys is across the sea.

Says the man who wrote a series of books where every country does their banking with one central foreign bank.

How the fuck does his banking system even work, why would a country even need the fucking iron bank in a mostly agrarian society.

You are telling me they have kept records for the last few thousand years on paper and they can magically collect debts when people have huge standing armies

Tolkien couldn't write for shit
His characters are super mediocre when compared to most characters from GoT

I just realized how little Daenerys develops throughout the series. In season 1 she starts out as a naive little girl and becomes a leader but she is the exact same character from the beginning of season 2 to the end of season 6.

And what the fuck are the Others even doing? I remember a few seasons ago there was a giant army of them marching south.

It's true
It's the consensus over on /lit/ aswell
And of course, I don't expect a trumplerina to understand the subtle differences and the big differences either

ASOIAF is a War of the Roses parallel and a Ice vs. Fire / Hadrian's Wall story mashed together. He had to keep the main story on hold to do his War of the Roses. I'm not sure why he needed to do both in one series.

>he'll "end it" with a blog post after GOT Season 8 saying it's just not worth

This is bait, right? ASOIAF is his life's work and he'll write until the bitter end.

They are a bioweapon made from humans in the show.
So of course they mostly sit on their ass and twiddle their icicles, like Dany.

and somehow I can find more enjoyment reading the Hobbit then I ever could reading anything by the fat man.

>Tolkien couldn't write for shit

That is objectively wrong.

There must be plebians so patricians can exist
You are just playing your role user

There's a character named "Darkstar" in the books and it's not even meant as a joke.

iirc, he once said in a interview that when he started back in the late 80s or something, he only wanted to do like 2 or 3 books, and his editor insisted for more, so he expanded the plot.

Initial plot was perhaps Dany arriving during the War of the five kings, and the others coming down much quicker, idk.

LotR isn't a character driven story. It's about worldbuilding and plot. This is basic obvious shit.

Your statement is objectively false

That explains why the plot is so meandering.

But the fact that Tolkien can't write characters still remains, this is basic obvious shit

There are people still in denial because they just can't accept it but you're mostly on point OP.

Even if he release this fucking book, there's no point in reading it after season 7 has aired.

It's sad, it was a decent enough story but destroyed by greed and laziness.

>Tolkien originally had an idea for an LotR sequel called "The New Shadow"
>it was basically aSoIaF
>after a few dozen pages he decided it just wasn't worth writing and abandoned the work

Tolkien had essentially the same idea Martin had, some 30 odd years earlier, and decided it wasn't worth writing at all LMFAO

>it was basically aSoIaF

False

>Can't write characters

In 100 years people will still know who Gandalf is. There's not a single character in GOT who will be remembered in 100 years.

then why are his characters more likable than martin's underwrought trash?

Is there a place where I can read about all the details Tolkein put into the LoTR world?

30 years of imagining this stuff and creating the perfect concepts is mind blowing.

>plot

It's full of holes

Professor Tolkien held 2 chairs at Oxford in Anglo-Saxon, English Literature and English Language he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature and was made Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire by Queen Elizabeth II. He was an officer in the British army and fought at the Battle of the Somme in the Great War. His two most famous works are considered classics in the fields of Childrens and 20th Century fiction. He also worked in the fields of Academic research translating works from Middle English and contributing to the Oxford English Dictionary.

George R R Martin was briefly an instructor at Clarke College in Idaho and wrote pulp sci-fi and fantasy that was nominated for the less than prestigious and now disgraced HUGO awards for genre fiction as well as being a writer for US TV series such as Beauty and the Beast for broadcaster CBS.

He fought the flab in the Great Social Justice Internet Wars of the mid 2010's. The flab won. His greatest literary work will never be finished.

>I am darkstar, and I am of the night

fucking kek, is he taking notes from coldsteel

the History of Middle Earth books compile his notes and even stuff that was dropped over the years

You can't know that for sure

Why is HUGO now disgraced?

I don't get into the meta stuff about books, only the books themselves.

Why does he wear the hat?

You plebian opinion does not matter though

The kids love his fish fingers.

What GOT character will be remembered in 100 years?

Good post mon ami.
You forgot to mention that Tolkien could speak more than 10 languages fluently and knew others well enough for conversation.
He also created multiple languages himself.

Meanwhile GRRM can only speak English and the languages in his books consist of about 15 words total.

The Imp. He drinks and knows thinks

:^)

I cant know that for sure

There was a bunch of drama that started because the people that controlled the nominations would only nominate leftist authors.

I think we can bruh. Theres just something timeless and perennial about tolkien's characters. I get that people nowadays tend to prefer the bleak and gray, where we can't really say if these guys are truly the bad guys or these guys are truly the good guys. But there's an epic tendency to these absolute good vs absolute evil stories that I think will live with humanity forever, maybe its because at the end of the day we all wish the world could be like this, a world where goodness and light, though sometimes oppressed will always triumph and shit

I love ASOIAF but I think it will be forgotten after the series ends yo, LOTR, The Hobbit etc... cant die, they're literary phenomenons that have influenced the whole damn fantasy genre from card games and graphic novels to video games and other novels

Triple tri-divisible triplets of truth

Will he? He seems to be finding every excuse he can NOT to write. First it was because he was spending so much time on the show, then he was spending too much time at conventions, now there are rumors he's delaying the release of TWOW as some kind of "protest" against Trump's election.

He either doesn't care that much or he's realized he has no idea how to finish it.

They still only nominate leftist authors. The only thing the rabid/sad puppies did was expose it.

If you mean his story telling he was ok, but has been surpassed many times over by others. If you mean his understanding of language then yeah, he was a genius.

He probably has an idea but he's a hack and he knows it. Before the show his books weren't well known but now they are, and when he will release the last one every critics will say it's shit and he's scared.

He's probably taking some writing courses as we speak.

You do realize Tolkien hated the Nazis, right? Also he wasn't THAT right wing

openculture.com/2014/04/j-r-r-tolkien-snubs-a-german-publisher.html

Yes. It IS true that Tolkien was slightly racist to the Muslims and Middle-Easterns in his work. But he didn't hate the Jews - tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Racism_in_Tolkien's_Works#Dwarves_as_Jews

tl'dr - just because you see a resurgence in the right wing doesn't mean there won't be a resurgence in the Left either. Even your heroes are not as "right" as you think they are.

>implying that fatass will even put the effort

cmon

Oh please. Anyone can do it. Even Ol'boy Tolkien himself would say you can do it

-C.S. Lewis

Iowa, not Idaho. Met him in 1975 when I took an SF writing class at U Iowa from Joe Haldeman.
He at the time had only published short stories.
His Hollywood connections, from The New Twilight Zone and The Beauty and the Beast
got him his HBO gig.
Fun fact: he maintained that he added the extra R to distinguish himself from the Manager of the Beatles.

>I'm not saying LOTR is some kind of literary masterwork

It is tho

Did anyone even imply that you stupid leftist fuck?
What Tolkien did have was enormous love and pride of his native England so much so that he dedicated his entire life's work to writing a mythology for it because he felt England had been deprived of heroic romances over the centuries that were tied inherently to both the country and the English language.
Naturally to liberals this is poison and complete wrongthink.

Cmon can we have some little fun and laugh ?

I know he's probably at a gala dinner eating himself out.

>You'll never achieve his greatness in fantasy
>writing one big Fantays epic

Bitch please.

Come back from doing at least two great sci fi epics, and a wealth of science FACT, covering AL the numbers in the dewey decimal system, than we ca talk.

P.S. Both Asimov and Tolkien liked each other

It's easy for people to just say Tolkien is brilliant and leave it at that but that's not doing him any justice. The man spoke 35 different languages. I have trouble with the one.

>He has no idea how and chances are he'll "end it" with a blog post after GOT Season 8 saying it's just not worth it for him to finish the series after so many of his plot points were used in the show and a short bulleted list of some things he had planned for The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring.
I'm not calling you a liar but can you or anybody post the specific Blow as to where he says this?
Because if he did then he's just a complete fucking wreck

this tbqhwyf.
his books are mediocre but his language ability is rainman levels of autism

He was gay right?

LOTR is a literary masterwork

>As a linguist and expert on Old English and Old Norse literature, Tolkien was a professor at Oxford University from 1925 until 1959. He was also a tireless instructor, teaching between 70 and 136 lectures a year (his contract only called for 36). But the best part is the way he taught those classes. Although quiet and unassuming in public, Tolkien wasn't the typical stodgy, reserved stereotype of an Oxford don in the classroom. He went to parties dressed as a polar bear, chased a neighbor dressed as an axe wielding Anglo-Saxon warrior and was known to hand shopkeepers his false teeth as payment. As one of his students put it, "He could turn a lecture room into a mead hall."

What does Martin even do? Go to Comic-Con?