Can you math heads help me out with 47 and 49? How do you think

Can you math heads help me out with 47 and 49? How do you think

Attached: IMG_1744.jpg (750x1334, 235K)

yes

Attached: mspaint_2018-03-21_01-43-07.png (1482x314, 15K)

What is 49 asking?

"Further simplify"

Is this what it wants?

Attached: mspaint_2018-03-21_02-01-38.png (1172x540, 15K)

49. The definition of a derivative. make the proper substitutions, eliminate h (for the most part).

Attached: solution49.jpg (1280x960, 109K)

yeah, thats exactly it, nice solution!

Well this was wholesome

Does it make sense tho? That's what really matters. Try 50 and post your solution.

Yes. Proof Sup Forums isn't full of retards.
They are all jerking off to IG/FB pictures.

Let me ruin it and say if you need help for these simple calculations, Calc is gonna suck even more

It does. These types of problems are set up to be then placed in limits, where h approaches some value. I doubt this is calculus considering the problems prior to this, most likely a pre-calc class. Either way interesting to say the least.

you have to replace 'a' in the given equation with the value for f(x) in 49, so it'd be (3/x + h - 3/x)/h....which is 1.

unless this is a trick question, then there is no answer since the given function is f(a), not x, so technically you aren't given enough info since the given equation is saying "function of a plus h minus function a, divided by h" and 49 is "f is a function of x, equals three over x". answer above is assuming variables are interchangeable.

I've helped out people who started in algebra 2 college classes needing help, and now they're taking number theory. Through hard work and perseverance, most things can be done.

these seem right.

enjoy the next couple classes where Sup Forums is able and/or willing to help. after Calculus 1 it's a travesty getting the few faggots who know the math help you out.

pretty sure 47 is (1+x)/(4-2x)

this.

I can solve problems in my head that I used to struggle with in calculus classes. It's called learning, faggot.

I sucked at calc 1. I'm stuck trying to re-learn a lot of it for dynamics now.
I did fine with integrals, sequences/series, partial derivatives, and vectors.

Try posting your solution so we can work out the kinks

If f(x)=(1+x)/(1-x), f(1/(x+3))=1/((1+x)/(1-x)+3), simplify

>he can't into calc I
Jesus dude, you aren't going to make it.

Attached: mspaint_2018-03-21_02-27-01.png (832x107, 5K)

amidoinitrite.jpg

Attached: 784654321264.png (849x138, 5K)

(a+b)^2+a+b? lol

Yes, well done. Now,

Attached: mspaint_2018-03-21_02-31-11.png (895x188, 7K)

Nigga I'm graduating in a month with my bachelor's in aerospace engineering. I'm not doing this shit lol

Stop this.

Attached: Bruh.png (246x95, 60K)

Congrats! lol thats pretty cool

Sorry, I was just trying to help out Mr. 763326747 with functions

Attached: 454698745.png (558x180, 5K)

Its pretty much a substitution question

Since it told you let f(x) = 1+x / 1-x

and 47 says f(1/ x+3 ) then just plug in so it would be

f( 1 / ( [ 1+x / 1-x ] +3 ) ) then just simplify it

didnt want to write it out. Symbolab is your friend, fuck wolfram alpha

Attached: Ans.png (1920x1080, 238K)

So then if we let a = 1, and b = (x+3), we get f(a/b) = f(1 / (x+3))

OP, please learn how to into functions and composite functions. This shit is important if you are studying n-cycles of recurrence relations, to name one example.

Attached: 1506143673699.jpg (600x801, 108K)

Is that cat suppose to be a vivi?

black mage at the least im guessing
Not op but this has been fun practice for me. thanks

Unfortunately, this isn't how we evaluate functions. If we let f(x) = x^2 + x, then f(a+b) = (a+b)^2 + (a+b). We see that wherever an x appears in the function definition, we plug in (a+b).

Yeah my bad I did it the opposite way. The given question should be plugged into the original function (ie f(x+1 / x-1 ) )

gg my bachelors in geophysics is trash lol

isnt that the derivative formula?

eeeyyy. I'm trying to get my bachelors in petroleum engineering at the moment.

Almost, the derivative of f at a would be the limit of that function as h approaches 0.

No idea what you mean by that.
I just know of a derivative as being the tangent to a curve. But i'm also an engineering major, not math major. I'm fucking retarded.

I really should go for my masters since my undergrad study (now looking back at it) was pretty easy and I slacked off heavily and didnt give two shits about college and still wound up with a 3.0 gpa

Ill probably go back but I just want any job just to get away from my parents. I refuse to do my masters while still living under their roof, its fucking torture rn.

I feel you.
I'm working full time in oil field as a blue collar job while going to school part time.
I dropped out of school on the first go because i couldn't stand being at home any longer.
I'm only going back to school now since I live in my own place and the company I work for is reimbursing me for tuition as long as my grades are good.

That function will give you the slope of the red line, ie., the average rate of change between f(a) and f(a+h). If you want the instantaneous rate of change at a, you need delta x = h to become infinitesimal. This will give you the slope of the blue line, which is the tangent to the curve at a, i.e., what you want.

Attached: mspaint_2018-03-21_02-57-01.png (1220x618, 19K)

Thanks user. Also your paint skills are pretty good.

Thanks, a low dpi mouse helps

Chain rule ftw!

this is sad.

it's not your fault, and i understand you don't really need the knowledge to be successful in your career. Most engineers I've met are the same.

but you can't fully understand and appreciate the beauty of the physical world and the equations we use to model it if you don't understand basic calculus theory and not just memorize equations.

again, not capping on you. you'll still make more than twice what i make a year.

hate to break it to you but i am legitimately retarded

Attached: 9.jpg (250x243, 20K)