Jordan Peterson's Philosophy condensed

Jordan Peterson's Philosophy condensed

Man life sure is chaotic huh? Feeling like everything is meaningless? Well Nietzsche said the solution would be to define our own values and since you don't want to think about it, I'll tell you mine. To start, I get them by looking at all kinds of parables and folk tales across every (mostly just European) culture and then I cherry pick the morals that reinforce my personal biases. After this I assert that this set of values constitutes a universalâ„¢ system of morality which is actually just a continuation of stock judeo-christian morality. Sometimes I completely misunderstand the nature of postmodernism and blame it for causing the feelings of meaninglessness that drove you to me. Sometimes, I bring up anecdotal and/or exaggerated stories about "progressives gone wild" to stir up your insecurities about the changing world.

But most of all, I cloak all of this in pseudointellectual jargon that protects me from having to engage with criticism in any meaningful way. It sure is great to be getting so many NEETbucks.

Attached: photo_85360_landscape_850x566.jpg (850x566, 244K)

>its all cherry picked and biased
>idk any counter examples but hes popular so i think hes dumb

Peterson is a self help author that has been treated like he's a philosopher. He isn't.

is that mr. rogers if he took up heroine?

Attached: images (9).jpg (512x288, 17K)

dont forget to always sound like youre on the verge of tears as you speak

He has a Ph.D. in clinical psychology you dunce.

There's nothing wrong with that ideal but you subjectively define whether or not something has meaning, when much of the world has objective meaning with or without humans.

I remember my first college psych course with a liberal teacher.

please don't post on shitty image boards, thinking you've got someone's philosophy "cracked"
you're waaay too dumb to do so
there's a good reason why JP has a PhD and is a best selling author, and dickheads on anonymous image boards are not.

wow whoever gave him that is even dumber than he is

you sound like a know it all lil bitch. sure am glad i dont have the displeasure of knowing you in person, you degenerate piece of shit

>have literally no specific examples against a professor of psychology
>BUH BUH BUH... HE CANT SAY THOSE THINGS

get a load of the guy who thinks he and jp are both smart

You missed: "and now you're reading this in my voice"part.

wow owned by logic

I'm well aware I'm an image board dickhead myself. hence, you don't see me debating or arguing someones educated philosophy
realize where you actually stand in the world and act accordingly

I went to a Jordan Peterson lecture in London a few month back. Felt really disappointed. Didn't help he held it in a building with a bunch of Bible quoted inscribed all around.

>random picture

Attached: 1520751854914.jpg (550x537, 83K)

>he isn't
fuck. well done. you got me.

>appeal to authority
Both of you are fucking retards need to be cleansed from the gene pool.
Anyone whos thinks vapid and shallow advice from a guy with a meme degree is in any way insightful needs to seriously rethink their life

he really helped me understand that one scene in pinocchio, as i am blind

Nevermind that he's an experienced older gentleman with life advice to offer.

Peterson is 80% self-help and 20% philosopher and that there isn't a very large amount of connective tissue between his actual philosophical arguments and the self-help behaviors he recommends.

Fundamentally I think Peterson is arguing against an inaccurate caricature of "postmodernism" while in substance he is simply going over the greatest hits of 19th and 20th century philosophy adding very little of his own thought and then using these disparate ideas (which don't all go together as well as he thinks they do) to make a leap in logic that allows him to push his preferred value system.

What kind of counter examples are you looking for?

That means very little if he's trying to be a moral philosopher.

>much of the world has objective meaning with or without humans.
Please elaborate.

Once again, a PhD in clinical psychology does not actually mean you are qualified to pontificate on moral philosophy and even if his PhD were in moral philosophy, that wouldn't be an excuse for his very poor justifications that he uses for most of his arguments.

>sure am glad i dont have the displeasure of knowing you in person
same

OP's post condensed

I'm a faggot

Attached: pepes.png (500x282, 48K)

>What kind of counter examples are you looking for?
anything. you just said "hes wrong". Give me a quote or fundamental philosophy that he preaches and explain how its wrong besides saying "all he's doing is [blank] and its dumb"

I already have a dad

>Please elaborate
Do I really need to? Humans don't define meaning for our planet or the universe, they define it for their own sake and understanding.

You have a narrow mind then, if the only man you're getting life advice from is daddy.

One instance is that he uses far too many of the "triggering" examples of dumb people that take equality to ridiculous extremes rather than engaging with the actual body of postmodern thought and the concerns it has about the nature of human rationality, motivated reasoning, and internal biases.

Additionally, his idea that it is okay to take a conceptual system of clinical psychology and to try to apply it to moral philosophy is really stupid because the two field are in now way analogous.

I honestly don't think that there is any inherent meaning in anything. Humans do define meaning as only a sentient intelligence can. That does not make that implied meaning universal.

>I honestly don't think
That's subjective. Time is one such element that both predates us and will continue to exist afterward, whether or not we are present to observe it's passage.

I think we're speaking about different things. I do not see any way in which the statement you made is relevant to what I have said.

There is an objective morality but this fact has nothing to do with "meaning".

Not the only man, but daddy definitely gives better advice than this quack.

Objective Reality* not objective morality.

OK son.

Attached: 1518372752761.jpg (431x450, 68K)

Okay. He preaches that chaos = girls and order = boys.

I'm starting to suspect that most people drawn to Peterson have daddy issues and are looking for a substitute

He completely rekt Cathy Newman. It was good.

Haven't listened to him an awful lot besides that.

There's always been a market for repackaged narcissistic sociopathy peddled to people too young and callow to understand they're being pandered to. Before Peterson there was Rand, and before Rand there was Hegel, and so on back to the beginnings of history. No one has ever been made poor by selling people the notion that all their pettiest prejudices are perfectly true, and that they deserve all the best things, while everyone who disagrees with them is morally inferior.

Attached: btaf_atlas_shrugged.gif (790x416, 65K)

>Hegel
Why do you hate Hegel?

I don't hate Hegel. But Hegelian philosophy has always appealed to the same demographic as Rand and Peterson: a privileged class looking for reasons to believe their personal prejudice is objective truth, and that being slightly more than average in intelligence makes them towering geniuses without peer.