Anyone that says he shows no emotion or that his emotions are fake because he's so deadpan the entire time...

Anyone that says he shows no emotion or that his emotions are fake because he's so deadpan the entire time, it makes me think that many of those people have never felt the pain Phil feels. Obviously, I can't say that that's true for sure, but it sure as hell feels like it. Also obvious is the fact that many people that love this record have also never felt this type of pain. I'm glad those people have never felt that pain, but can still empathize and see this as a beautiful, haunting piece of art. I can't feel the same exact pain, but I, like Phil, have been so sad that you just become numb, so depressed that it's like it transcends emotions.

I'm sorry this is so long, but I'm so passionate about this album, and it pisses me off to no end seeing the vitriol people throw at it. I'm sorry, this is going to sound massively pretentious, but I think this is an example of art that someone can truly "not get". During the recording of this album, Phil had just lost one of the most important people in his life. He did what he knows, which is to try to process his thoughts into music. Many albums about death focus on death itself, in poetic terms. So few albums have ever given a glimpse at life after someone has passed away, trying to deal with the immediate aftermath of that loss. It's beautifully haunting, and fuck you if you think he's faking or not showing emotion.

This album does not glamorize or fetishize death. Death is real. This is what death feels like. There's no artistic interpretations, there's no sugar coating. Phil is confronting you with the real emotions of death. It's your decision whether to accept it or to deny it.

Feel ya OP. My dad died recently to liver cancer, he was only 55. Do you think listening to this album is a good idea? I haven't heard it yet.

A nu-male looked at me

completely agree. Such a fucking sad album.
when real death enters the house all poetry is dumb.

>Death is real... MUH WIFE LMAO AYYYYYYYY I HAVE TO RAISE MY DAUGHTER LMAO...

t. Nu-male Redditor Fantano drone Soyboy

does it get nu-maler than this?

thats great and all. but the music side of it isn't good.
5/10 album. its cool u got something out of it. since music is subjective

Checked.
I agree this is a really good album. But I can also see why it's polarizing. Like said, I it's very plain on the musical side of thing (or boring if you want). In my opinion the simplicity of the music adds to the emotion the album is trying to convey. But If you're looking interesting instrumentation you won't find it here, and that's a problem because you could find it in every other microphone/Mount eerie record until now. And I can see how that can turn people off.
As far as are concerned, they're just repeating a meme, they probably haven't listened to the album and that's ok. You can dismiss their opinions since they barely have one.

probally not

I saw Phil live yesterday, hadn't listened to the album beforehand. I have not experienced the death of a person close to me yet, but some of the lyrics fucked me up. Like him talking about putting pictures of Genevieve up all over his house to surprise himself and bursting into tears whenever he sees them.

Honestly I don't particularly relate to the lyrics having not really experienced death in that way, but I find the lyrics to be some of the most hard-hitting I've ever heard. Like signicantly more than any of his other work. It's just so concrete, so specific and at the same time so mundane. I've listened to it twice, and it took me about half a year between the first and the second, because it 's fucking devastating to me. It just feels a lot more real than anything else I've ever heard, which is kind of the appeal of it to me. Honestly it's probably my favourite album ever in terms of lyrics. Solid 9+/10 for me, but I can't really listen to it.

DEATH IS REAL
NOT FOR SINGING ABOUT
Let me sing about it for 40 minutes now.
>why the fuck are you listening to this this isn't meant to be enjoyed or art
>I'll still sell it to you though
If he could at least go 5 minutes without contradiction.

I think that's the point, dude. He can do nothing but sing about it to release his bottled emotions. Also, The money will be used to support him and his daughter so who the fuck cares, it's going to a good cause. They deserve it.

I agree wholeheartedly with you OP. What I do is simply ignore all the retarded pseudo-intellilectuals on this board that haven't grown up at all. Focus only on your opinion and beliefs and you'll be just fine. That's all that matters.

If anything the contradictions make the album more interesting.
Also people that shout hypocrite and accuse others of inconsistency are pathetic, read Montaigne scrub.

>Focus only on your opinion and beliefs and you'll be just fine. That's all that matters.
couldn't those same "pseudos" do the same thing then??

Oh and I actually found a new CD copy of it at Ameoba in San Francisco the other week when I was on vacation. Didn't come out here on CD, but apparently it was released in Japan. Imagine my surprise trying to find Mount Eerie and I just barely found it, look down in the slot and there's one single album. I was so ecstatic.

Then don't go around pretending it's not supposed to be a real album. Either it is or it isn't. This just sounds like a butthurt musician trying to wiggle out of criticism.
>Y-yeah? Well it's not for YOU to listen to! But give me those 10 bucks!

They don't focus only on their opinion. They constantly harass others because their opinions differ. How is this not childish?

It is an album. I think what he's trying to say is that he's not supposed to be doing this, but he is anyway because it's how he can cope with it. Jesus, you don't know the man. Calm the fuck down.

>Death is real.
Tell me something I don't know.
The problem is that the music isn't compelling enough.

This

>you don't know him so don't criticize his dumb bullshit
Really, user? He's claiming to be honest in this album yet he's not even honest about what it is, instead offering multiple contradictory "explanations".
Shit, even the cover is exploitatory.
Like, this is the worst defense I've heard since "I leave music for musicians"

but u have no idea what they are doing. you are just projecting

Didn't say you can't criticize him if you don't know him. Simply saying I don't think you or I know what he's going through when he's writing these lyrics. It was just after his wife passed and I'm sure he's full of confusion about everything.

Huh? I can clearly see when an user is going "KEKZ THIS ALBUMS SHIT MUH WIFE MUH EMOTIONS" rather than writing out their thoughts in a good discussion on why they didn't enjoy said album.

> I can clearly see when an user is going
no you can't. thats based on your paranoid projection of what you think is real or genuine. if you're going to be a hypocrite. least do it right user

They will literally say things like that constantly. What the fuck are you going on about?

Can we conclude this album already, it's very simple and 100% of you should agree:

>Phil is sad
>makes album
>people say he's not sad
>but Phil is actually sad
>people express sadness in different varieties

END THE DAMN TOPIC

Phil is emotionally dishonest.

Caught this nibba live and it was a riot!

People kept shouting "play the glow pt2" and eventually he left early

But that still doesn't excuse the fact of his dodging left and right. Either you went to make an album or not. Either it is for you only or not. Releasing it, getting money and then saying it's not meant for people is idiotic, you gotta dmit that.

I think we just see it differently and that's cool.