discord.gg/neA547g

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IjJU6LMPeJU
sorayuko.s251.xrea.com/kansei.html
youtu.be/LiKF-p9VVxs
supermemo.com/en/articles/20rules
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The American Bear celebrates this thread.

wowowo
guruguru kakurenbo

Hi im confused about Ankidroid,

if I did not 'get' the kanji/sentence on the first look, am I supposed to click 'Hard' or Try Again?
how do you personally use it bros?

I personally press "Again" when i don't feel confident enough about a word, hard if i remembered something of it like a reading or got a kana wrong.

Thats helps, thanks!

I also heard people saying not to focus on kanji decks so much, may I ask why is this? also what is your recommended Kanji deck? I am using Kanjidamage, its a different take on lessons but there is less context, what would you suggest? also what is hte difference between optimized and 2k?

かくれんぼ
三つ数えて
冬になる

This is how I use Anki for Japanese vocab. There is a word on the front, for example, 微笑. Under the following conditions these buttons are pressed
Again: Don't remember shit.
Hard: Recall the reading and meaning, but perhaps it took a few seconds longer than it ought or there was a slight imperfection in the reading. Say a word ending with しょう and I recall everything but think it may be either しょ or しょう.
Good: Recall the reading and meaning.
Easy: I don't ever use this.

Sorry, i can't tell you anything about kanji decks because i only use vocab decks, i use core 2K/6K.

I press easy on engrish words

Will it mess with Anki's spaced repetition code if I shift the new cards per day around a lot?

Like, if I have time for 60 new cards one day, but not every day, can I set it to 60 and then set it back to 20 after doing those without messing anything up?

shouldnt change anything if you do that

thanks,

Wouldnt pressing 'Hard' be the same when the same Kanji pops up though? or is it all about repetition in a span of months instead of days?

thats okay, friend, how did core 2k/6k help?

Teaching materials in today

you have to translate this song
youtube.com/watch?v=IjJU6LMPeJU

Something about tits

In yuru yuri, do the weird alliterated phrases Ayano says translate literally? Or does the translator just choose a word that rhymes in english?

Holy shit the /jp/ thread is cancer

It's literally one retard who spams the thread with shit, don't know why the mods haven't banned him yet.

Is やんけ, found in the bottom left of pic related, similar to やるんかい?

no

やんけ is kansai dialect ” ~じゃないか”

Not him, but is there anywhere with a succinct guide to the basics of kansai dialect?

sorayuko.s251.xrea.com/kansei.html

おおきに~

きにせーあん

Learn vocab first. You'll pick up a lot of kanji this way. Learning kanji readings doesn't always let you read words that contain them which slows down your consumption rate.

What sounds better for requesting something from an bro acquaintance.
くれるの?
くれないの?
くれますか?
くれないか?

Definitely neither of the の ones, those sound way feminine. If you're super casual/familiar with him then use くれないか, if not then use くれませんか

”ちょうだい

>tfw my anki correct % is tumbling as I pass through words with 実, 表 and 発 in the core2k/6k deck
why can't I remember them?

Because you're trying to remember kanji - reading - meaning as a three part relationship instead of as three two-part relationships.

You can learn japanese on duolingo now. Is it any good?

食べてからタバコを吸うのって最高!

I wanted to say: "Smoking after eating is the best!" but I'm not too sure about my sentence. Should I omit から and just go 食べてタバコを吸う...?

>食べてからタバコを吸うのって最高!
or 食べた後にタバコを吸うのって最高!
These are both okay, I think.

What letter is this?

ご go

is there a way to 'unsync' anki decks when it comes to new cards per day? I want my vocab to have 20 new cards per day while my kanji deck to only have 5-10, but everytime I change it to a specific number, both is synced

Give them separate option groups.

apologies i am confused, where is that option located?

is there an option like this for droid?

Yes.

Hey lads, I think about to have a mental breakdown.
I've been trying to make Japanese friends along my so far almost 2 year journey while learning but it seems that even though we seem to get along they end up avoiding me. Whether it takes a month or a year no one has stuck around.
I'm guessing this is because I'm not fluent thus making the conversations a bit dull at some points.
These people are all online so its a bit hard to get close to them besides playing online games with them.

Think I should just stick with my native language speaking friends until I'm closer to fluent?
Or maybe take the extra effort to find someone who speaks Japanese where I'm at?

べびめとぅ
4つ数えて
ファンになる
So big boobs
i wanna suck them
罰金、バッキンガム
is what you want to say about like this?
*きにせんといて(や)

よこせ!
>Should I omit から and just go 食べてタバコを吸う...?
省略しない方がよい
「食べて(は)タバコ吸うのは、行儀が悪い」
というように、連用中止形には付加列挙の意味もある
>Hey lads, I think about to have a mental breakdown.
i can't help you
>Think I should just stick with my native language speaking friends until I'm closer to fluent?
>Or maybe take the extra effort to find someone who speaks Japanese where I'm at?
come to our thread, JT
however, Jt is attacked by an unknown Spammer now

>however, Jt is attacked by an unknown Spammer now
しつこいやつですね
どうして毎日毎日そんな行動している、よくわかりません

I wanted to write in Japanese on the computer.. How do i do that I cant see it in the guide

Just try it out nigga it's free
Started myself let's see how it goes

one retard doing a cracking job of pretending to be most the thread posting from different computers with different ip addresses for all of those /jp/ threads is dedication

Have you tried googling "write in Japanese on the computer," mate? The search results may surprise you

youtu.be/LiKF-p9VVxs

I'm starting to see nine month intervals in anki. I'm a bit scared I wont remember it... what interval limit do you guys use?

read moar is not a good argument here because anki helps you remember stuff that you might have a 20% > x > 5% chance of not seeing: low enough that it's useful to remember but high enough that you could not encounter it and probably forget it

Doesn't matter. You're supposed to be learning cards you barely know, not cards you don't know at all. Human memory doesn't run out of space and delete things.

>Human memory doesn't run out of space and delete things.

cite everything that happened in your childhood NOW

My mom woke me up and brought me to the kitchen to brush my teeth. The toothpaste stung and I complained about it but brushed anyways because she reminded me it was minty. Eventually I had a bowl of honey nut cheerios. The kitchen was basically the front hall. I could see the front door and the window. My mom went outside and came back inside. I was full before I finished my cereal.

>I'm starting to see nine month intervals in anki.
There is an option to hide these interval displays, which makes reviewing easier (for myself). The lack of potential answer selection bias means that failing a mature card with 1 year intervals appears the same while reviewing as a mature card with a 1 month interval.
As for limiting, I think it is set to 9999 days, or whatever the highest value Anki allows.

Stop posting like a teenager.

RTK or KKLC? I tried the kanji via vocab meme for a couple months but my retention is really bad. It takes me forever (weeks) to recognize a lot of kanji. The guide says to learn in isolation if that's the case so what do I go with? (I'd still be doing my anki grind, maybe with half the new words a day so I don't burn out)

RTK is poison, don't use it. Do KKLC but do it slow and memorize the kanji and vocab at the same time. Kanji study will be less of a waste of time that way.

When it comes to suffixes like 川 or 橋, does rendaku always apply?

ニアガラ-がわ (not かわ)

マンハッタン-ばし (not はし)?

I was listening to a song and the first line was 「思い出せば遥か遥か 」
How can one tell if it's in the first or second person? And in general as well, are all sentences assumed to be in first person until someone else is explicitly mentioned?

Usually, but not always. There are loose rules for rendaku covered on the en and jp Wikipedia pages.
富士川
This one doesn't have rendaku likely because the first part of the compound ends with a voiced sound (じ).

Yeah, you are usually pretty safe assuming every sentence without a subject is first person unless it includes a special grammar formation like てもらう or て欲しい

Thank you

This is horrible advice if taken literally.

Anki just isn't good enough to remember everything permanently, but it doesn't really matter. Read more does work eventually. If you forget the word even with anki then it didn't matter that much.

I find listening works much better to remember stuff more permanently, so if your vocab and grammar are already decent you should spend most of your time listening, at least until you can understand the majority of what you hear without subs.

>if your vocab and grammar are already decent
right now

i'm actually having a bit of autistic fun in collecting works like they're linguistic pokemons, i can barely read a grade 3 book as far as grammar goes

on the other hand when i want to have some less autistic fun i will have the vocab covered

What the heck is 敬馬く?

Are you enjoying the Duolingo refugees

驚く

Woah, I wasn't expecting that. Thanks

私の暮らしが大嫌い。

This is what happens when you only study with display fonts.

同じ

could you elaborate more on this?

I could but it would be a five post long rant because I'm autistic. Ask someone else.

somehow i saw this coming. thanks i guess

Try RTK alongside what you are doing. Give it a month and see how that works. If it feels useless, try KKLC alongside what you are going and see how that works.
30 days isn't much of an investment but it should be enough to get a feel for each one to experience if either of them really click with you.
There is also Kanji Damage if neither RTK or KKLC feel useful enough.

>recognize
Which resource is more focused on your are of weakness largely depends on what it is about these kanji you are struggling to recognise, my Americano friend.

> i can barely read a grade 3 book as far as grammar goes

In that case you have not experienced the "read more" effect yet because you just can't read fast enough / in enough quantities. I doubt the vocab you are learning is hard enough to not appear in reading multiple times a day at a native pace

>きみは海のむこうの本を読んでから人が変わってひまった

Why is this about the person addressed changing instead of "hito"? In fact, how does that one even get into the sentence, what role does it even play?

The translation says "books of the people from across the sea" but I don't see how "hito" plays that kind of role there without the "no" particle.

see points 2 and 4
supermemo.com/en/articles/20rules

What the fuck?

Your character totes changed after you read books from overseas.

Probably just because they have lots of rendaku so you have to learn each word individually more so than with some other kanji. For the latter two at least.

You can pretty much wing gemination and rendaku after the first 10 words that use it. I have no trouble with things like 発展 and 発表 anymore. 発表 is a great example actually.

>You can pretty much wing gemination and rendaku after the first 10 words that use it.

You can be fairly accurate but not super accurate. Plus there's shit like 大 which is totally unreliable since it usually comes as the first kanji in the compound.

doesn't matter, just learn japanese

Supermemo also outlines that their SRS program is not ideally used for reviewing facts not already learned, which flies in the face of everything the guide/this thread recommends re: core2k/6k/10k, etc.
They're nice ideals from Supermemo but Anki doesn't use the same algorithm any more and the benefits of the central recommendations djt has focused on also technically fly in the face of what Supermemo recommends. Namely: the introduction of previously unknown facts via Anki.

Most of those who are outspoken against 'isolated' kanji study are arguing from a point of emotion. The reason why the user claims
>but it would be a five post long rant because I'm autistic
Is because his reasoning clearly isn't succinct and rational, which could be outlined in under a single post.
If one were to copy/paste the entire summary of Supermemo's 20 rules into a Sup Forums reply box, it will be shown to clock in at under 4k characters. If Supermemo can summarise all 20 of their "Effective learning: Twenty rules of formulating knowledge " in under 2 Sup Forums posts, then user has no reason as to why it would take him five posts to elaborate on his position in a rational manner.
Those who feel the urge to butt into topics with definitive statements on the failings of the approaches of another, yet not able or willing to succinctly and reasonably express their basis for holding outspoken position on such controversial topics ought refrain from interjecting in the first place. Their presence is more harmful to learners than positive.

It is also worth pointing out that Supermemo has an entire section of the suggestion of using mnemonics (rule 7), which is something rather commonly stated as a point of failure of the 'isolated' kanji approach by those who tend to make "five post long rant[s]" against the very idea of someone else thinking about taking this approach, which differs to their ideology. Such posting is borderline trolling.

だい versus たい as readings of 大 is completely unrelated to 連濁. だい is 呉音読み and たい is 漢音読み. Whether a word should be read with 呉音 or 漢音 might seem random to a beginner without much understanding of historical context, but it's not random and at the least it's consistent across words (i.e. you don't normally mix 呉 and 漢 in the same word).

Thanks for the link. There's some seriously good tips in there.
But i don't see how you can really apply those points to, say, core2k/6k.
Each card is kanji, kana, and meaning/s. The only way to subdivide that is to look into each kanji separately and see how their meanings and pronunciations relate to make up card's word. I always do this, but i still fail to get what they meant by three 2-part relationships.

I'm pretty sure was going to argue FOR isolated kanji study and the fact you couldn't see that means you probably aren't smart enough to listen to.

Ships: RTK method = just hooking kanji and meaning = a two part relationship

Somehow Hint turned into "Ships"

Bump

that would be a plausible interpretation in a world dictated by reason and clarity but i believe his actual point is that "kanji is just an orthography"

I don't quite get the translation for this sentence, specifically where the "reason" comes from.
I'm interpreting this as "Attending University gave me the opportunity to go to Tokyo" but I guess I'm wrong seeing as how this is made by natives
Can someone please explain to me what I'm missing

Oops

Never mind, apparently it can also mean "motive" or "impetus". Kind of weird that the card doesn't include the definition or didn't use a different example

Is isolated kanji worth bothering with, if I'm doing 2k6k core and Tae Kim or should I just try to get to reading once I've got a vocabulary of 1k or so down?

Does anyone limit how many cards a day they see?
I'm tired of spending 5 hours on Anki alone.
Since I'm going with 40 new cards a day reviews seem to stack up pretty fast

The general consensus is to never limit reviews because that messes with the review optimization which is the whole point of SRS. Instead, it's better to cut back on new cards.