This movie was actually better than I was expecting

This movie was actually better than I was expecting.

Anyone else see it yet?

>Paying to watch a cash grab prequel
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah just got back from a screening. Also pleasantly surprised. Definitely not a cash grab and brought some new elements to the table. Ezra top tier acting.

Yeah, I was really surprised at his character. I'm happy they didn't show any of it in the trailers, it was a cool surprise.
Also, I'm so happy that even tho this is part one of a five-part series, it's actually a complete movie that wraps up everything and doesn't leave tons of shit open or doesn't resolve things purely so people have to watch the sequels. One of the things I disliked most about The Force Awakens, I'm glad they didn't make the same mistake here.

It seemed a little bland from the trailers.
Is this more like a goofy comedy where main character dude runs around NYC to get his monsters back?

good magic duels?
...my cinematic white whale

I didn't even realize it was out. Haven't heard or seen anyone talk about it at all.

I wasn't a fan of the trailers too, but the movie itself is much better. There's still quite a bit of comedy and creature catching, mostly near the beginning, but near the end it gets surprisingly dark.

It is pretty tough to write a movie that leaves clear directions for future sequels, but at the same time allow the movie to work as a standalone. I'm just amazed at how creative JK Rowling's mind is with the new stuff she created, you'd think she would have dried up.

Not a lot of dueling in this movie. A tiny bit near the end but not a lot. Looks pretty much the same as it did in the Potter movies.

I just got back from an Australian midnight screening so I would expect more talk to come up in the next 24 hours.

It is a movie that touches all the right emotions. But yeah apart from the whole creature catching, there is a larger issue going on and things can get pretty depressing/dark at times.

crap

i grindelwald or w/e in it

So what's Ezra Miller's role in it.

I already know Colin Farrell is just Johnny Depp in disguise.

big spoiler, read at own risk:
yes, Colin Farrel's character is revealed to be Grindelwald, transforms into Johnny Depp at the end.

Does it have that comfy HP vibe?

I will probably go see it this weekend. I'm interessed with what they have done to continue the franchise.

oh cool, does jd look interesting as a wiz?

does Johnny Depp look cool as Grindelwald

is young dumbledore in it?

It's actually quite a long story.
He is essentially the thing causing all the death/destruction (the black cloud shit you see in the trailer). He is a person who is constantly abused by his mother who hates witches. The black cloud shit is this obscurium (probably got the name wrong) which is essentially what happens when a child never learns to control their magic and it builds up as anger, sparked by the witch hunts centuries ago. Typically the children affected by it die before the age of 10, but Ezra's character has managed to survive through it and is much more powerful.

It's not even Friday yet the fuck you talking about

>mfw wizard speakeasy
Putting the movie in 1920's New York was super cool.
I only think the whole Obscurus thing was a bit confusing, they could've explained it better.

Long-ish white hair that's shaved on the sides and brushed back, thin white mustache. I think he was also blind in one eye. He looked really weird but kinda cool.

Europe, bro.

>what are pre-release screenings

Nope. It's mentioned off-hand that Dumbledore was quite fond of Newt Scamander when he was a student at Hogwarts, that's it.

Ezra Miller will be a recurring character in the franchise then? Awesome.

Yeah it is definitely comfy. A lot of references to Hogwarts and whatnot. When you see a lot of the creatures it brings out the kid in you.

No. His name is mentioned though.

He looks pretty good. Kind of chubby and pale, has shaved hair around the side and slick back blonde hair along the top. Kind of hipsterish vibe to the hair but it isn't in your face and kind of suits him with the whole look. He doesn't go completely crazy with typical acting style, a bit more subtle but he barely has any lines - maybe 1 or 2?

i can't wait to see this

does the american wizarding world seem interesting and fleshed out?

He'll be in the next one.

Man I loved him in this movie. I was super surprised that he doesn't even get redemption, he gets fucking shot by the MACUSA and dies. It was surprisingly brutal.

maybe,
big spoiler:
His cloud thing is destroyed by the wizard council at the end. However Newt sees a sliver of it fly off.

I only watched the teaser, so I wasn't expecting much and it turned out better than I hope for
Gotta say, Queenie was mighty FINE indeed

That was actually a nice surprise, I was wondering when Depp's gonna show up

Actually, he gets killed by MACUSA aurors. He's fucking dead.

do they address how wizard fight people with guns? like an anti gun spell?

>Ezra top tier acting
This is how you know its tumblr trash for tasteless teens

>do they address how wizard fight people with guns?

Same way you duel? Just stupefy them or even accio gun/s

I predicted Sup Forums would love this. It wont be better than any of Yates Harry Potter, those are underrated.

Yeah, early on it is established they have much different laws towards muggles (or what they call no-maj's). You learn quite a lot about them and they are very different to the UK wizarding world.

Yeah the dude can definitely act - between Perks, We need to talk about kevin, and this. I hope we see more.

seems like a sniper could kill a dozen wizards easy, and pulling a trigger is much quicker than saying "stupify" and gesturing. especially when more than one are firing at you.

kek he was the worst part of perks even worse than lerman

What did the redditors think though? I know you're a huge fan of posting there :^)

HBP is tight

You never really see a gun vs wizard moment. All the guns are either used in typical police 'dont move' style or are aimed towards the big black cloud which quickly determines they are useless.

>and pulling a trigger is much quicker than saying "stupify" and gesturing.

gesturing = trigger pulling, and remember most adult wizards don't need the vocal component

>snipers

Snipers are deadly regardless of wizard or muggle

>I think he was also blind in one eye.
>not consistent with Grindelwald in HP 7.1
REEEEEEEEEEE

Under using Colin Farrell

>mfw

ah, ok

also, is the american wizard school shown at all?

Nah no school unfortunately - name mentioned though. The movie deals with very skilled wizards throughout. So think more along the lines of ministry of magic US version.

Sup Forums will hate it because reddit/tumblr is bound to love it.

Oh he looks NOTHING like how he did in Deathly Hallows.

Nope, only mentioned once. I'm assuming one of the later films will show it off tho, they thought it out too well to not use it at some point in the future.

>Sup Forums will hate it because its good
Slight fix

Seeing how they wanted to avoid war between humans and wizards
Do humans really stand chance against them?
They literally repair/rebuilt everything that was destroyed in the last scene. Just how much OP can you get when some random wizard was able to restore a >50 story building alone

Bump :^)
You don't have to worry I won't post your account

So are those four the new main characters, are they entertaining?

>Oh he looks NOTHING like how he did in Deathly Hallows.
JUST

RANDY DAYTONA IS IN THIS

Well they went into hiding from back when they burnt witches. So maybe just by shear numbers the humans are a threat. But also maybe Colin's character was right in that the law was created to actually protect humans.

>garbage generic blockbuster climax fight
If they love it then they worse taste than originally thought

>prequel
Nigga u dumb

They're decent, nothing special. They all have a little backstory to give them a bit more flavor. Well, except for the blonde girl, she didn't really have much going on except for being a romantic interest for Jacob (the no-maj).
Newt is full on autistic tho. He does an elaborate mating dance with a huge rhino-like creature at some point.

>all these people have 'seen' it
Just fuck off until we do

But isn't it set before the events of Harry Potter?

It is kind of left open for the two at the back but given that those 2 girls are sisters I'm sure they'll return. The fat guy... maybe. Eddie and the brown hair girl are kind of cute together particularly at the end. The other 2 have something going on from the moment they meet. They all bring their own little element so I won't mind seeing them all again.

>there are all sorts of issues with this movie, which pales in comparison to even the first two Harry Potter films, but rather than grouse about the clumsy knotting of the various plot threads or how Newt Scamander is a nothing character or how the fantastic beasts are all like the dullest of Digimons (except for the kleptomaniac platypus), i just want to whine about the devastatingly poor use of CG. we've become so concerned about how this stuff looks that we tend not to think about the value of what it *does,* and its application here is gruesome. this old timey new york city is a sterile, hollow hellhole of copied-and-pasted buildings... every scene feels empty, even when the streets are crowded with life. and is the villain a generic floating CG cloud? *of course* the villain is a generic floating CG cloud. there is no sense of tactile physical reality to this movie... Hogwarts felt like a real place, this feels like a half-sketched memory. and that feeling is hardly contained to the visuals.
interesting
what are you are favorite films of the year OP
i need to know to make an accurate judgment on who to trust

This is my cinema, 08:00pm screening tomorrow

The hype isn't really there yet

I actually really liked it, honestly more than any of the Potter films. The designs and sets were well excecuted and the actors did a good job.
Also mind reader chick was qt

This one is leading into a dark storyline with an evil wizard named Grindelwald so it does have some dark moments.
That doesn't make it a prequel. It has nothing to do with the story or characters of the Harry Potter movies.

>actors did a good job
But one of the main complaints is that the only actors that did a good job were Farrell and eltwinko

>This one is leading into a dark storyline with an evil wizard named Grindelwald so it does have some dark moments.
sounds like they have a good story to tell

kek, fucking losers

Just got back from it. Was never a harry potter fan but my friend is a big time nerd. AS a non harry potter fan, I give it maybe a 6.5-7/10, just because it was comfy. Would have liked it to be more duels and a little bit darker. But I had no idea what to expect either walking into it. The sister was at least veeerry good loking

turbo pleb status: confirmed

Hows the cgi for the characters, Is it as bad as the trailer makes it look?

>this faggot doesn't know about Grindewald
Wew lad you're in for a ride

Is this also based on a book like the main series? I haven't read it because the writing's atrocious.

I just told user about Grindelwald and you didn't even spell it right, you illiterate nigger.

Its based on a text book thats being stretched out to 5 films
so the hobbit reloaded

Any hints at them going to the USA school?

>and is the villain a generic floating CG cloud? *of course* the villain is a generic floating CG cloud.

The villain is not a fucking cloud you moron.

i took your mom to prom
then i fucked her hiney

no thats being saved for when the labor party needs more money

Can we all applaud WB for not putting "Harry Potter" anywhere on the poster?

The story from here on is moving away from 'Merica and back to Europe to deal with Grindelwald and Dumbledore.

Just 1 book? and 5 movies? What the fuck

It isn't a book. It's a fake textbook about animals.

Its not really a "book" book either
its just a list of fantastic beasts™ and their attributes

Yep, she truly was best sister

The book is just a textbook in the Harry Potter world. They're not adapting an actual book into 5 movies. The story they're telling in these new movies isn't based on any book.

>Eddie and the brown hair girl are kind of cute together particularly at the end.

They end up together. The text book mentions her character as his wife.

Oh so it's an original story? Interesting then.

Says the guy shitposting on tv.

It's not bad it just doesn't try to look realistic at all

>Check the book
>his wife Porpentina
Well shit, you're right. Cool.
Didn't they mention in the film he got kicked out of Hogwarts? The book says he graduated and then went to work at the ministry.

A future plot point maybe?
Or a case of Rowling forgot

I enjoyed it, but it absolutely reeks of ideology.

> "No! These immigrant beasts mean no harm! It was actually the internalized angst of repressed white children the entire time!"
> Colin Farrell revealed to be literally wizard Hitler
> "Non-Magics and Wizards should co-exist" aka not so subtle race mixing propaganda
> Madam President

Again, I hate being an alt-right idiot but it's almost blatant. If you can look past it it was actually quite enjoyable from an imagination standpoint and the soundtrack is killer.

I think you're just forcing politics into it, sorry mate.

>the soundtrack is killer
Really? I though it was kinda bland to be honest.

>I hate being an alt-right idiot
Then stop, idiot.

JK Rowling is overtly political, I don't think it's far fetched. Even if it was inadvertent it still penetrates the liberal subconscious.