Lonesome Crowded West 20th Anniversary

Two decades, Sup Forums- where does the time go? Favorite tracks? Least favorite tracks? How does it stack up with the rest of Modest Mouse's discography? Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=G33AcZzZ0pM
youtube.com/watch?v=ZLDN4zl0sNA
youtube.com/watch?v=10jkXo1OPx0
youtube.com/watch?v=GoZMs8sLKho
youtube.com/watch?v=dVz7iPwaXKM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

WELL

It's probably modest mouse's best album

Best Tracks: Out of Gas, Convenient Parking, Heart Cooks Brain, Trailer Trash, Bankrupt on Selling

Worst: Jesus Christ Was an Only Child

I never see enough love for trailer trash, best song on best album

Long Distance Drunk is underrated and is also one of my favorite tracks. Great album.

Truckers Atlas and Teeth like God's Shoeshine are classics. I've jammed this on so many road trips

polar opposites

LCW>TM&A>Good News>>Long Drive>>>We were Dead>>>>>>>>>Strangers to Ourselves

Best tracks: Polar Opposites, Convenient Parking, Shit Luck, Doin' the Cockroach

Worst: Cowboy Dan

I'M TRYING
I'M TRYING TO
DRINK AWAY THE PART OF THE DAY THAT I CANNOT SLEEP AWAY

Strangers To Ourselves gets too much hate, Coyotes is a real nice track.
The whole "mankind is evil" messege in the album is a bit annoying though

Cut truckers atlas by 4 minutes and it's a 10/10

This album is amazingly consistent for its 74 minute length

fuck me i'm old

I've always kind of liked how it kind of settles into the drum groove and just sticks with it. It's like a road trip- it just keep going, even after it stops being interesting or exciting.

That being said, it objectively does overstay its welcome.

Brankrupt on selling. It mirrors my life a little too much.

it's literally the most praised song on the album besides teeth and maybe cowboy dan

i've been talking to the wrong crowd then, the people i've talked to say it doesn't fit in the rest of the songs.

fucking incredible album, possibly the best record to come out of the northwest rock scene during that era

THIS PLANE IS DEFINITELY CRASHING

>Cowboy Dan
>worst

That's literally the best fucking track you faggot

That song is so fun on bass.

Can’t really argue with this. Add Polar Opposites to best though.

you will come down soon tooOoo

That's an odd argument then. I think it fits perfectly with the album, that feeling of an agonizingly slow life in (could work for other areas as well) western america and feeling like a fuckup. My favorite line is the this one, which was left out of the studio version: "And you spend the most of your life looking for the adult that you are, and you spend the rest of your life looking for, looking for the child that you were"

Great song.

You guys pretending that Cowboy Dan is not the best track is not funny.

Honestly I don't think there's a bad song on the album, Cowboy Dan is just the one I have the least personal affinity for. Though now that I think about it, I might like it just a little more than Out of Gas.

It's 10x better live.

Has everyone seen the pitchfork doc on this album? Regardless of opinion of P4 it’s pretty good.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=G33AcZzZ0pM

Doin' the Cockroach is on my list of songs I scream the lyrics to at night. Great album, MM isn't my favorite but this album is certainly a classic.

yea I remember that being pretty good

Is it just me or did they bass boost the fuck out of the music

Not a single lyric on that song that isn't pure gold.

Favorite tracks: Everything
I've grown to appreciate Long Distance Drunk

unpopular opinion, Good News is better than Lonesome Crowded West

Styrofoam Boots/It's All Nice on Ice, Alright is still my favorite Modest Mouse song.

it's also the best song on the album

It has its place in the context of the album, it's so quiet and peaceful and you kind of zone out listening to it, then Shit Luck just sucker-punches you out of nowhere.
Good News is great, people just like to shit on it because it was actually popular when it was released.

lmaoing at your life dude
good news is good though, at least tell me you consider tm&a better than both

god this album means so much to me
i remember hearing it for the first time coming out of a really rough period in my life and hating it but it just grew and grew and grew on me
i think it's the album i can say actually got me into music as a whole
i remember being like 13 and this album and long drive both just resonated with me on such a deep level
god bless

I unironically think that Shit Luck is the best track

its not bad but not better than LCW
Blame it on the Tetons is one of the best MM songs tho

>Blame it on the Tetons is one of the best MM songs tho
this

Have you heard the extended mix? It's like a minute longer, it should be floating around the internet. Check that night on the sun rarities blog

That drumbeat at the end get me FREAKIN' jazzed.

THIS BOAT IS OBVIOUSLY SINKING

>adds “Baby Blue Sedan” as track 4, extending the album to 16 tracks
>moves “lounge (closing time)” to track 15

Ah, finally perfect

It doesn't get enough hate. It's boring and unmemorable.

this.

vinyl tracklisting >>>>

>ALD
>BNOOS
>TWC

Nothing past 1999 is really worth listening too

Truckers atlas really is a meme, the jam is so uninteresting and booring I cant to understand why they kept it other than for le epic Seattle indie cred

10/10 but long drive is 11/10
tomorrow i got like 50 bandcamp downloads to go through but whenever i get spare time i'll give it a spin.
happy birthday lcw

>Nothing past 1999 is really worth listening too
Really now

yeah it was a very pleasant surprise. i liked strangers as a whole but it's not a strong album. shit in your cut and pups to dust are superb tracks though

Totally overproduced. Most live versions of those songs are good but its more pop than you think
Not to say mm didnt have pop influence, isaac sure as shit wrote most of the songs by himself on guitar with verse course structure on allot of it but TM&A really isnt that great compared to everything before it.
The more you grow up the more you realise MM really ISNT as good as you thought it was

M&A is great wtf are you on about

what's with the pop is bad meme

Just like i said, its overproduced - too clean.
Maybe its because i listen to noisy music and most ppl who listen to mm dont. Idk
Are you trying to tell me Gravity Rides Everything or 3rd planet arnt pop tunes? Both got considerable airplay and have slick production.
At this point MM became more like the strokes rather than the indie rock, post-hardcore inspired, scene darlings they had been.

>considerable airplay and slick production = pop

huh wow this is the Sup Forums we live in.

I think you're missing my point, I wasn't arguing against them being pop. The way you worded it made it sound like the only reason the stuff was worse besides production was that they were pop. I do agree their earlier output was better though

I personally like MM's "pop" side almost as much as their gritty indie side. Just because LCW is a masterpiece doesn't mean "Float On" and "Dashboard" aren't total jams. TM&A is a nice compromise between the two sides, I think.

p4k always has good documentaries regardless of their articles

Yeah man i dont mean that BECAUSE its pop its shit, It isnt.
I enjoy the record, the symbolism is great (infact 3rd planet is a good example), but to say it holds a candle to older stuff would be wrong. And if they had 2 fantastic records, 2 good EPs and one of the best loose tracks and B sides collections in existence BEFORE 1999 and they didnt replace their old sound with something as good or better than i really dont see why anyone would give their new material the time of day.
And I dont think Isaac ever sold out either, they just got bigger, got sick of playing the same style, and with more money and influence they changed their sound.

I don't think playing a gruff indie style would have suited their transition into the 21st century tb h. I'd disagree that they're somehow bad now tho.
90s indie wasn't meant to last forever and their sound has adapted to newer eras

>tfw you will never see Isaac incredibly fucked up on stage
>tfw you will never see skinny Isaac
>tfw you will never go to a Modest Mouse show where the majority of people aren't most excited about hearing Float On

post rare mice
youtube.com/watch?v=ZLDN4zl0sNA

Anyone else really like Lounge (Closing Time)?

youtube.com/watch?v=10jkXo1OPx0
Remember that time Modest Mouse covered Slayer?

Shit Luck > rest of album in any order >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anything by Geoff Mangum crybaby

Trailer Trash

That opening guitar riff is so fun.

>modest mouse and calfone
literally just ugly casanova at this point

coyotes is fantastic but honestly it's the only part of the record i still go back to

yeah no it feels like a conceptual thing i get you

the brilliant thing about the record is how bizarrely structured it is, like it constantly and abruptly vacillates between lightning fast and 90s molasses and that makes it super dynamic and unusual and charming

bankrupt on selling is such an incredible song fucking jesus it hurts

it's been 20 years and i'm only just now starting to "get" cowboy dan as the best track on the record. maybe its cuz i haven't seen it live

cowboy dan is pretty good
youtube.com/watch?v=GoZMs8sLKho

I saw them in 2014 and Isaac was fucked up for sure. Quite a shitty performance desu but fuckit I was hyped to hear Heart Cooks Brain and Baby Blue Sedan..also they didnt play float on which pissed off 90% of the crowd

their best album imo
fav tracks are heart cooks brain, truckers atlas & doin the cockroach

Nice to hear the old mouse still has a pair. I'll still definitely see them if they ever come through my area, but seeing them in the '90s would have been something else.

This is A Long Drive>>>>>>>>>

check out this performance of cowboy dan with extended outro desu

youtube.com/watch?v=dVz7iPwaXKM

Bumping so this thread makes it through the night.