Is therapy a scam?

Is therapy a scam?

Other urls found in this thread:

theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/03/psychologys-replication-crisis-cant-be-wished-away/472272/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replication_crisis#Psychology
nature.com/news/first-results-from-psychology-s-largest-reproducibility-test-1.17433
nobaproject.com/modules/the-replication-crisis-in-psychology
nytimes.com/2007/11/25/weekinreview/25cohen.html
news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2016/03/study-that-undercut-psych-research-got-it-wrong/
science.sciencemag.org/content/351/6277/1037.3
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosenhan_experiment
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

psychology is not pseudo-science, but prepare to be verbally assaulted by STEM majors for daring to suggest anything beyond math, chemistry, and physics has any worth whatsoever.

No, it can help but it's one of those shitty "you have to also help yourself" things so if you have no motivation to improve it won't help.

>psychology is not pseudo-science
LMAO senpai you're right. STEM fags are imbeciles

No, it helped me a lot. Grown these past few years with introspection, and a warm, friendly professional opinion. In fact, we often talked of The Sopranos and Tony's hangups and the therapy sessions.

But also this, for better and unfortunately worse.

Honestly I found that if you go to a little bar during not so busy hours the Bartender (assuming he's a good guy) will do 90% of the shit a Psychologist will do for you.

Seriously 95% percent of a session is you blabbering about yourself and the Psychologist trying to push you in a more positive direction.

No

>Physics
>Chem
anything but math is a real science

Not sure if its a scam but apparently its no where near in advancements of other medical fields. Its fairly new if you think about it

These bartenders really only exist in film and television. Or maybe the UK i dunno.

the psyche is intangible however to deny that thoughts feelings and emotions produce a chemical reaction in the brain which has an effect on your body is absurd.

therapy? i dunno. personally i just use it as having someone to talk to whom i respect because theyve accomplished something like earning as many degrees as they have. and i have many theories on how things work and like to bounce those of others who i respect as at least moderately learned. ultimately its a setting in which one can take an hour to be unwaveringly selfish and talk completely about themselves and their experience(s). it can thereby be very cathartic as it also and very importantly in my case, provide an outlet wherein i can express my thoughts. not talking much for weeks and months and years is very unhealthy and things become cluttered in your head when you dont vent. thats my experience at least.

I'm not really sure how effective their techniques are (I'm usually pretty skeptic wheb they ask about my dreams) but having someone you can't vent off with any annoying shit that has been bothering you really helps you. Obviously it takes training to be able to seem interested in the blabber of some faggot, so I will give them that.

Not a scam.

Potentially a waste of time and money if you get a bad patient/therapist combo.

My therapist gives me a good deal bc he knows I'm a hopeless NEET but it's sad that it's so expensive. I have a number of friends that need and want therapy that can't come close to spending the several hundred dollars a month required. And it's not covered.

if they ask about your dreams they're probably a quack

It's covered if you have a psychiatric diagnosis.

Yes, it's an infantile science that has not been allowed to grow since its inception. Not because it's not real, just that they offer no real solution.

If you got a good friend: yes
If you don't: no

It's nothing but a racket for the Jews

No, it can help if there's something really wrong and it effects your life or how you act with others. People will say just stop doing those things(could be problems with depression, anger) but until you get down to the reasons why you're acting like that subconsciously you'll continue to do those things

>therapy
>science
what

Psychiatry is just this year's candy pink stove

I guess it depends on what you mean by "science" and how far that definition goes. But you can definitely at least call it a "discipline" and there's certainly mounds of research available on what works and what doesn't. (Though people don't always follow what works)

I have my first session tomorrow. I just feel numb and when I don't feel numb I'm depressed/anxious.

Should I tell her I'm addicted to benzos? I'll be put on a blacklist and never be able to get prescribed a narcotic again.

Only Biology and Physics are real science

>I just feel numb and when I don't feel numb I'm depressed/anxious.

Same. Don't tell her that right off the bat maybe, if you don't feel comfortable. See if you vibe w her, which is vital. If not shop around. If you're a male I might suggest a male Dr.

kys

NO, BUT PSYCHIATRY, AND PSYCHOANALYSIS, ARE.

Take some acid

There's no biology without chemistry.

t. Biologyfaggot

oh my god koz is alive

please tell us about your musical project

therapy is a very vague word that could apply to a lot of different treatments

freudian psychoanalysis is most definitely pseudoscience, anyone claiming otherwise either got their education in the 50s or grew up around someone who did

even though it's pseudoscience, it could still help some people with bullshit issues, much like a spiritual guidance counselor or a healer

yes, its for people who don't have anyone to talk to about their problems.

you can just talk to a priest about your problems for free and get a massage too

get some psychedelics or mdma and peak during your first session

is it a psychiatrist or a psychologist? don't put down your addiction on any paperwork, but I think you should let on if there's the chance you're going to be prescribed something. a psychiatrist needs to know your medical situation in order to best prescribe things for you

There's no chemistry without physics

t. Chemfag

But all a priest's going to say is "lol accept God" whereas a therapist will actually give you guidance on how to manage your emotions etc

I remember taking acid one night for this reason. I mainly listened to music in my dark room, went in my backyard and looked at the stars. Went back inside and wasn't feeling one way or the other...then the sun rose and I started to cry. I was so happy because I can't remember the last time I had actually cried. But it was drug induced, like almost all emotions I have. Then you have the post acid feel good day and after that it's back to feeling shitty again.

underwater basket weaver major detected

theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/03/psychologys-replication-crisis-cant-be-wished-away/472272/

psychology shouldn't even be counted as social science much less as "real" (STEM) science

fyi only 40% of psychological studies are even reproducible.

nature.com/news/first-results-from-psychology-s-largest-reproducibility-test-1.17433

That means there's a greater than 50/50 chance that every "study" you hear reported in the news was totally fabricated bullshit.

This is kind of meaningless without comparing to the reproducibility of experiments in other fields.

Better question: would you?

>psychoanalysis
>pseudoscience
pick one plebbo

Psychologist. I have no one to spill my deepest secrets with. I'm not close with my family and the friends I do have I wouldnt tell them, i don't feel comfortable enough.

Do you think this therapist can help me get to the root of my problems? I was such a happy and outgoing kid up until the first grade. My parents had a messy divorce, dad never hugged me/told me he loved me. My sister told me a few.months ago he had kidney failure and I didn't even bother to call him. I'm one fucked up person.

he's right though. psychoanalysis is mostly bullshit.

>get to the root of my problems
do mdma with the intention of introspection

nice damage control

you can literally google "psychology replication crisis" and see what I'm talking about"

nobaproject.com/modules/the-replication-crisis-in-psychology

id, ego and superego is the most important part and anyone with a brain can recognise thats not bullshit

How is that a question? I would in a fucking heartbeat.

Fuck, I'd even date her.

How is this Sup Forums?

Not if you go to a really good therapist.

psychoanalysis IS pseudoscience

Cognitive behavioral therapy is what works.

I did say "mostly".
psychoanalysis did come up with very influential concepts, but overall it is crap.

psychoanalysis is 100% bullshit

Freud was literally running a personality cult and managed to retard psychology for almost a century with his unscientific nonsense.

nytimes.com/2007/11/25/weekinreview/25cohen.html

Not even Psych departments teach Freud anymore that's how full of shit he was.

The rep crisis study was found to be flawed. Ironic, really.

Therapy is necessary for some people, but I think it is over-prescribed.

>The rep crisis study was found to be flawed

source: your ass

news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2016/03/study-that-undercut-psych-research-got-it-wrong/

id/ego/superego is only useful at explaining concepts to children/freshmen

No one in psychology irl takes it seriously.

Study neuroscience and psychology

The mind is a spook
Consciousness is a spook
Everything "human" is just a greasy, juicy piece of machinery.

Of course it is.

Guess (((who))) invented it?

Stirner pls go

If I fake ADD symptoms to my shrink can she diagnose me and send me a referral to a psychiatrist and I can get an Adderall/Vyvanse script?

>Television & Film

i was under the impression that psychoanalysis is still quite popular outside of NA

Study the dsm and pray you're a good actor. They're better at spotting that shit compared to school councilors.

>270 non-psychologist scientists work on a project and none of them realize that what they're doing is bullshit.
>None of them realize the potential effect the study would have on cutting psychology funding and increasing theirs

Oh come on, is no one going to point they knew exactly what they were doing? Academia is fucking bullshit.

Of course it is a scam.

The only "therapist" is Lord and His son, Jesus Christ. He will listen to your worries 24/7 if you are willing to open up to Him.

He doesn't even demand anything from you; zero monetary compensation.

>1 study

there are numerous studies showing dozens of well known studies are bullshit

www.nature.com/news/replication-studies-bad-copy-1.10634

The most famous is the "smiling makes you "happier" study

The only place where psychoanalysis is still used is the media.

>he does it for free

Therapy is a scam in order to keep you visiting and paying, and/or keep you on medication

Eh, kind of. There are techniques used in psychology that are total bullshit and not supported by a large body of empirical research. Concepts such as cognitive behavioral therapy seem legit though, as far as the literature goes.

The original team also claims the study that said "psychological studies are flawed" is flawed is itself flawed.

science.sciencemag.org/content/351/6277/1037.3

in other words psychology is in a full on meltdown as a """""""""""science""""""""""

sure, let me just pray to (((Jesus)))

>Jew
>did it for free

No wonder he got whacked.

My therapist is free. Am I being scammed?

Everyone knows you can't do Jew magic for free

This you are better off hiring a coach

Does he hypnotize you?

Do you wake up with disheveled clothing and a sore rectum?

Do you enjoy it?

it's a qt she-psychologist
no, but the option is there
no, but I wouldn't mind her abusing me
yes

Neurosis is a Jewish disease that can actually be spread from contact with them. Therapy is a Jewish invention to deal with this. Prepare to add extra illness into your system if you mingle with therapists and them in general.
Studies have been done on this but covered up.

why can't i get a JAP therapist
all of mine are filthy whites

Japanese people don't need it because they're hard.

>Areas that use the scientific method are baaaad and full of imbeciles
>My stupid bullshit "make up crap as we go" fields are great!
Go back to /his/ and kill yourselves there.

100-fucking-percent.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosenhan_experiment

JAP means Jewish American Princess
i want a catty jewish woman with a nasally voice to talk me through my many woes

>Areas that use the scientific method are baaaad
no one said that. have this (You) and go away.

OH like that woman off the nanny?

yes

like janice from friends?
ohhhh maaahhh gaawwwddd