Commander, tell me about Star Trek Discovery

Commander, tell me about Star Trek Discovery.

Is it going to be good? Or at least watchable?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KeaehxEdpgo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They have CM Punk as the Dr. Bones character now so that should be funny

Nah it's gonna be fully catered to normies

It's probably going to have a few star trek elements but will be similar to the shitty movies that have been churned out in recent years

No more communist utopia and more SJW/liberal shills forced

Early reports are not positive.

>SJW Trek
>good

If they have a muslim as a character, meaning not arab, persian, or indonesian but muslim, the islamic religious belief system, I will absolutely not watch.

There are no Muslims in space.

There are no Human religions in Starfleet. Starfleet Earthlings are secular/nonreligious/atheists ONLY.

Didn't they celebrate christmas and shit?

>There are no Muslims in space.
What about the Xindi?

No.

Yeah if that muslim bullshit is true, I will actively try to shit on the series and make sure it fails.

youtube.com/watch?v=KeaehxEdpgo

>There are no Human religions in Starfleet
akoochimoya

Thats a culture more than religon

Would you mind if they had a culturally muslim human who didn't believe in allah, but still observed islamic traditions a la secular jews?

Not trying to be combative btw, I'm just genuinely curious how people feel about these things.

Yes. Because its forced minority bullshit that has no place in Star Trek.

This. You're meant to check all that shit at the door when you become a Starfleet Officer

anyone that would put muslim faith front and center in a Star Trek series is just blatantly showing their agenda.

It'll be shit, but will surpass TNG in becoming the new meme trek. Meme trekkers will love the shit out of it.

>has no place in Star Trek.
Are we talking about the same Star Trek here? Star Trek has always been about diversity.

Star Trek has nothing to do with religion.

If they had an exmuslim, who has to deal with their religious family. That would be ok. But Paramount doesn't have the balls to do such a thing. There would be riots in Muslim countries if they found out a character in a major series renounced and left islam. The punishment for apostasy/mocking Islam in most Muslim countries range from 5 years in prison to death.

>That would be ok

Not even that would be ok. Many times in all of Star Trek, religions are considered "myths". Like how we view ancient Roman or Greek religions.

I will watch it because it is star trek
Star Trek is the sjw show par excellence in all tv incarnations except the film reboot

the reboots are terrible simply because it is entirely reversal of that

Picard has personally met at least 2 gods.

"gods"

But all of the characters in TOS are from a secular judeo-christian backround. They have monogamous marriages that take place in christian style chapels, and clearly celebrate christmas in TOS.

It's easy say that future humanity is "beyond cultural differences" when the one default culture is almost exactly like your own.

All of Western society is based on judeo-christian background.

>monogamous marriages is exclusively judeo-christian

Yes, which means you're saying that the dialectical end of history society that is represented in Star Trek is necessarily western in nature, which is ridiculous.

He met the literal being worshipped as Lucifer, if I recall correctly.

but there are plenty of reversal or alternates usually in the form of aliens
everything in star trek is the reflection of the society so ignoring alien customs is entirely misleading
you have plenty of polygamous and lesbian and even all female societies, the takeway is how the feddies responded to that
neelix is literally the male-home-maker for the entire ship "married" to janeway ofc

>english is the offical language
>Capitol is in Paris
>Starfleet is based in San Francisco

The Western World brought the rest of it up to date. No more stone age muslims. They were all nuked in WWIII. So yes, the Western World just became the World.

That was a Wizard of Oz style character, a bitch who just used hologram projectors and other common technology to make herself look like a "god" to exploit several cultures.

Nigra lesbian captain with muslim female commander. The showrunner quit because the production was such a mess.

No. No it will not.

>Nigra lesbian captain with muslim female commander.

Oh yeah, I remember not liking that episode.

>Nigra lesbian captain with muslim female commander.

Is this a joke? Is the Chief Engineer a gay, eskimo, disabled albino?

You know

so much for your peaceful vision of the future, idiot

#NotAllXindi
just the reptilians

faggot.

One of the writers is the guy who made this.

>make sure it fails

KEK.
you know you have no say in anything, right?
how does it feel to be such a powerless cuck?

episodic television is dead. true trek is episodic

>It's the current year +1
>lead actor will be female
>implying she won't get blacked

Honestly, I'm looking forward to it.

This is an easily-exposed lie.

If you want to trick people, you should change the name at the bottom to someone who IS working on the show, like Akiva Goldsman.

To bodly go where no woman has gone before.

Yes they did nigger, didnt you watch generations?

dum ass

If someone has to explain to you petaqs one more time that STAR TREK WAS ALWAYS SJW IN SPACE I'mma loose my mind, up in here, up in here

>forced minority bullshit has no place in Star Trek

The crew of TOS was purposely chosen to be diverse. That was the point. Double dumbass on you and your house!

Incrediblyunbrokenscentencemovingfromtopictotopicnoonehadachancetointerruptitwasquitehypnotic

I liked it for a few reasons.

>Sultry con artist cock teases Picard and offers him a place at her side to be her plaything
>Picard illustrates through logical argument in courtroom setting how the aliens were independent and created a peaceful existence for themselves without the help of the supernatural being they feared
>Picard gets payback at the con artist (for harrassing him and his crew a few times) using her own tricks

I'd say it was a comfy episode.

Picard always thrives in a courtroom environment.

Making the case for Data's personhood, condemning witchtrials, advocating for Worf before the high council, literally bookended the series stating his case for humanity. I think there were some more but I can't think of them.

Should Picard have been a lawyer? He's great at making his case through persuasive argument. I suppose that's why he's such a good diplomat.

>Couldn't be arsed to have it ready for the anniversary.
>Announced with nothing to show.
>Trying to be all things at once.
>Delayed.
>Showrunners gone.
>People footing the bill have no faith in it.

It's dead Jim.

I've stated something similar in another Trek thread a while ago (probably months ago), but I'll give it another whirl.

I don't care if the captain is a gooey, slime-ridden, ugly ass, omnisexual, hexaped from alpha centuri. If the character is written well and the focus is less on the ethnicity/race/species/gender/sexuality and more on how he/she/it grows as a person through their experiences, then it's fine by me.

What bothers me is when shows and movies purposefully draw up characters to be certain genders/ethnicities/races in order to pander to "progressive" audiences and make their show look morally just. It's especially bad when it's done in a ham-fisted way that beats you over the head.

Of course, that's probably exactly what the new show is going to do, though. They'll play up the racial and sexual components to the characters instead of focusing more on developing them as actual people. The contributions to the Trek timeline and actual creative writing that provides interesting stories, exciting arcs, and character development will be shoved aside in favor of cheap pandering to "progressive" values in order to make the most money possible. Also, the sci fi elements (like exploring concepts with future technology, physics, chemistry, biology and so on) will be disappointing. Not that Trek was ever the greatest at exploring science fiction elements, but it at least made you stop and think about what the future might hold in terms of technology, science, and discoveries about the universe (what stuff from Trek might be discovered/be possible in the future?).

You know, I am in favour of furthering Star Treks legacy of representation on screen. ie, it's about bloody time we acknowledge other sexualities and relationships in the 24th century. Roddenberry wanted it all along but Paramount pussed out every time.

THAT SAID, I agree that I don't want the show to just focus on their genders, races, orientations etc.

What was neat about Star Treks approach to diversity was that it was a total non issue. Their gender and race didn't matter. In the 24th century, simple bigotry was thing of the past. Which is ideally the future we should strive for.

I understand why they're going with a black female captain and I hope we do have a gay character but I hope it's all treated as matter of fact. I hope they don't feel pressured to overdramatise these elements in a way that wouldn't make sense in the Star Trek universe.

Why don't they make a Star Trek series set after DS9/TNG movies/VOY?

Cleaning up the mess left behind maybe.

>Should Picard have been a lawyer?
Although he obviously has a high respect for the law, and a knack for outlining a logical argument when he needs to, I believe Picard is truly a captain at heart. This is illustrated best in the episode "Tapestry" where Picard has a near death experience involving Q (which may have been in his head or quite real and contrived by Q). Essentially, he learns that changing anything in his past would change the man he is today. So pretty much, because of who he is and the sum of his experiences, Picard was always destined to be a captain in Starfleet with a hunger to challenge himself and engage in difficult diplomatic situations.

>I hope it's all treated as matter of fact

This. This so much. This is all I want when it comes to representing different races, genders, and sexualities.

I wish that this new series was that but it's LITERALLY not going to happen so we're going to have to watch the same old tech shit and literally nothing new and no new enemies.

Fuck this

I feel this. Part of what made TNG so fresh was that it was set further in the future. New developments; the Klingons and the Federation at peace! New races and enemies; the Borg, the ferengi, the cardassians! New tech; the holodeck!

Now the execs want to march boldly into the past because it's recognizable and marketable. Which they already did with ENT and the JJ reboots!!

I think it's been hinted at that it will involve the Romulans, so I hope we get some cool stuff involving the war and the eventual establishment of the neautral zone.

But damn, can we ever see post-Dominion War? It doesn't need to be that complicated. Just establish the positions of the various powers (Klingon, Cardassian, Romulan, etc) and go from there. Isn't a little dull to be doing the same old phasers, transporters, klingons and vulcans again? We want new as well as the old.

You can't make proper Star Trek nowadays without triggering everyone.
I mean look at this thread alone, everyone is already losing their minds over hypothetical "SJW SHIT!!!"

Well Star Trek is SJW and if you can't fucking deal with it then stick to the action movies that were too chickenshit to be about anything. Enjoy your action scenes and Disney villains.

The absolute best Star Trek episodes were about morality and understanding one another. If you find that triggering, toxic, problematic, or whatever, then I'm sorry, you've let yourself grow up to be a retard.

This desu

This board is going to lose its shit no matter what happens, even if what they do is relatively tame. People meme here about the entire cast being transgender jewish black genderfluid disabled muslims, but the truth is if there's a single character who is even something like being gay or black people on this board are going to lose their shit and cry about the ess jay dubyoos.

Star Trek has always been a series that promotes a humanist philosophy. It's liberal, it's disdainful of religion, it's optimistic (even if that optimism is tempered often by challenges posed in the show)

The original series broke ground in the 60s by having a russian, black woman, east asian as main characters

TNG had a black chief engineering officer, women in high places like admirals, chief medical officers, etc.

DS9 had a black lead character/captain, as well as lesbian characters and romances.

Storylines in many Trek series are often about the protagonists opposing bigotry, zealous jingoism, various kinds of prejudice. Not the kind of vapid "injustices" that actual tumblrinas moan about with their safe spaces and 10000 genders.

Everytime I visit Trek threads it's people bitching about SJWs or posting straight up racist shit. Like, why are these people even watching Star Trek?

Let's all hope for a new Star Trek that's progressive without being hamfisted.

The whole core of star trek scripts are barely veiled ethical and moral dilemmas to drive the story-conflict and work them out with character development and long strung out dialogue. Just look at Voyager, most of the episodes were about abortion, adoption, religion, cultural differences, immigration, foreign aid, racism, women's rights, the benefits and cons of isolationist policies, colonialism, imperialism and so on and so on. It made for some interesting and somewhat more complex material.

The new movies just went "SHOOT EVERYTHING HURRR, BLOW UP VULCON HURRRR, LOOK THERE LEONARD NIMOY HURR" so I don't really expect them to bother with putting in the effort of thought into discovery, most people can't handle it anyway now that Marvel has lowered the bar this much.

VI > II > IV > VIII > III > VII > I > V > X > IX

Star Trek isn't SJW.

It's not SJW at all.

Get a fucking grip it's the most SJW thing ever. If you seriously can't accept that your "enemies" made something that you like it's time to grow up and accept that maybe shit is more complicated than the meme images you use to learn about the world on Sup Forums.

I'm pretty pessimist about this show:
Like other anons said, it's a prequel, meaning it's gonna be non-innovative and will probably pander to nostalgia like the JJ-Trek, and not in a good way.
Star Trek has always been progressive, yes, but they had to accomodate with Roddenberry's vision. I'm afraid that now he's long buried, Star Trek is going to look like those episodes about Sisko and racism, terrible Trek that addressed contemporary societal issues with contemporary stories. i.e, totally the opposite of what Star Trek was set to do.

>muh akoochimoya
But that was terrible.

DS9 is literally the best Trek series and nobody should give a shit that you're butthurt over them having some episodes dealing with the issue of race.

Not to mention the lesson in that episode was that Sisko was being silly and he learned to get over it and join in the fun by the end. And yet you're still here crying about it as if you sat through a 4 hour TED talk on why you should be ashamed to be white. Stop being such a fucking baby.

Pretty sure all Muslims died in the eugenics war of the 1990s iirc

>And yet you're still here crying about it as if you sat through a 4 hour TED talk on why you should be ashamed to be white. Stop being such a fucking baby.
Way to put words into people's mouth. Maybe you should go to Sup Forums and engage in shit flinging with people that enjoy such activities.

>just want to talk about Trek
>Sup Forumsbabbies make it all about them
>muh racism muh sexism muh SJWs

No wonder nu-Trek has to be about explosions and rock music.

>At that time, the series cast was believed to include "a female admiral, a male Klingon captain, a male admiral, a male adviser and a British male doctor", with one of those male leads played by an openly gay actor.

>a male Klingon captain
>set before TOS
So...

Maybe it will be a recurring villain Klingon captain?

Or part of the serie will have to deal with a Klingon perspective.
I can picture a klingon captain having to join force with starfleet to "defeat a greater evil", or some shit like that.

>muslim
>one of the important things of trek has always been about humanity giving up on these fairy tales.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
CANT STAND IT

It may be shitty, but I know I'll watch it.
I'm in so dire need of Trek I downloaded Star Trek Online. At least you can make qts

I DO like the beats and screaming.

BUT WHAT IF I HEAR AN OPINION OR A WORLDVIEW I DON'T AGREE WITH
I LITERALLY CANNOT ENJOY MEDIA IF I FIND IT PROBLEMATIC

That was a fantasy and everything was Victorian British style, it's just part of Picard's hatred of modernism and France.

>
>>There are no Human religions in Starfleet
>akoochimoya
That religion was made up by aliens though

>Human religion

PLUCK THE ROSE

Literally every thread subject degrades into: crt, libtard, nigger, shitskin, le edgy orangel baboon can do no wrong, etc.
LEAVE MY STAR TREK
REEEEEEE

Star Trek is set in a Humanist Communist "utopia".
Putting a human muslim in it contradicts all of this as putting in a human stockbroker

CHEER UP M'LADS

That episode was emotionally rough for me, i normally watch star trek to go to sleep but i could sleep for hours after that one

Star Trek is multiethnic NOT multicultural. Sure everyone is allowed to have their own traditions and beliefs but they are members of StarFleet first and foremost. The Federation also vets planets and civilizations for suitability and compatibility with the overarching culture of the Federation before they allow entry.

The Federation is kind of like America, when you become a citizen it is you that is expected assimilate and adapt to the prevailing culture, the Federation will not bend to accommodate you.

He's not exaggerating much. These are the two actors Bryan Fuller was angling for when he pitched the series.

Check out my shit OC

How can a guy who constantly sucks dick and gets fucked up the ass be such a faggot?

I'm glad he got fired now

I don't begrudge him being a Hillary Clinton supporter but oh my god shut the fuck up it's not LITERALLY THE END OF THE WORLD HITLER WON

Oh boy more unrelated Sup Forums shit

>the creator of the new series is unrelated