There are at most 5 living musical geniuses. He is the best among them

There are at most 5 living musical geniuses. He is the best among them.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nF99kdCUpAg
youtube.com/watch?v=Aloryfd5ipw
youtube.com/watch?v=TpJvFeCntHo
youtube.com/watch?v=EvsfIM2WFJ0
youtube.com/watch?v=quxLwG4mK9A
youtube.com/watch?v=Xm6VC-XBKx4
youtube.com/watch?v=aTlm7dZdq18
youtube.com/watch?v=cQRHS4JHfx4
youtube.com/watch?v=sYn24veZ_s4
youtube.com/watch?v=8BGTvxxKoHM
youtube.com/watch?v=1eXgboNRqQE
youtube.com/watch?v=27aeDriMmCI
youtube.com/watch?v=fQXMvX1HRA8
youtube.com/watch?v=Sort2m3H3dc
youtube.com/watch?v=YeI795fVoqE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

surely you are correct but who are some of the four that vie in his shadow

fred durst

me

well, me

all four btw

i wouldnt argue otherwise. RDJ will go down amongst the greats like bach and beethoven.

i can't really think of any others that are even near RDJ's realm electronically.

death grips

I'm not a fan but Brian Wilson is one of them

that's some advanced baiting

Anybody that would say that has absolutely no knowledge of the history of electronic music.

Great arguments, really convinced me otherwise

SAW 85-92 is one of the most important electronic albums of all time and to think that some of the material on it was made when the lad was 14 years old

please do inform us, oh musical deity, let me guess: muh disco! muh chicago house! muh kraftwerk!

Lol wut? I hope your kidding pal.
Afx is the most accurate definition of "talentless hack".

gr8 b8, provide three valid reasons why he is talentless. I'll wait.

youtube.com/watch?v=nF99kdCUpAg
youtube.com/watch?v=Aloryfd5ipw
youtube.com/watch?v=TpJvFeCntHo

>richard is literally LIGHTYEARS ahead musically than anyone on the planet.

He released about a couple (or three at most) albums in the 90s that are quite decent and worthwhile, but the rest of his output is nothing but random bullshit. Yeah, I'm talking about druqks too.

>random bullshit

That's it mate, even Mike Paradinas does better.
The late AFX stuff is plain ridiculous, I wonder why everyone even buy into it.

Oh, so you just have shit taste.

He makes conventional pop electronic music

Look at Autechre and how the sound they explored in 00s is only now picked up by some fairly known producers.
Yet I can't say they're some geniuses, but they are and were definitely at least decade ahead of their time.

'There are 12 people in the world, the rest are paste' - Mark E Smith

mate richard was making stuff in 1992 that blows autechre out the water.

youtube.com/watch?v=EvsfIM2WFJ0
David August.
Prove me wrong.

Lmao, I have impeccable taste dude. It's afx fanbase who don't know shit about music, believe me.

autechre is literally just randomly generated bleep bloops with muddy, flat production. there is no greater value. it is not fulfilling to listen to. it is not good background music. it does not evoke any particular feeling. it is the essence of soulless limey tripe, even moreso than garage and grime.

There's plenty out there that's just as sonically interesting, it's just that most of it is 2deep4u and lacks RDJ's mainstream appeal. That's why he's special, one of very few musicians in his class to have broken through to so many. Nobody is simply a genius; genius is something people manifest through action. Everybody has moments of genius, some artists have just gotten really good at carrying that through to their work.

youtube.com/watch?v=quxLwG4mK9A
youtube.com/watch?v=Xm6VC-XBKx4
youtube.com/watch?v=aTlm7dZdq18
youtube.com/watch?v=cQRHS4JHfx4

I don't believe you.

Believe what you want m8, but many can sound like Richard these days, yet not like those bad boys from Autechre

>Autechre
>still don't have a million hit track on spotify
lol we're talking about real musicians in here ok?

That little girl who's the new reincarnation of Mozart, Trey Spruance

>culprate

mein neger
youtube.com/watch?v=sYn24veZ_s4

>but many can sound like Richard these days

youtube.com/watch?v=8BGTvxxKoHM

please stop responding.

Bad for you.

Stay plebe with your pop tunes and 'sincere emotions' in electronic music
Aw shit, rekt

nice post african repetition

>nobody in the world can make acid techno

That's because many WANT to sound like Richard. His stuff resonated with people that much. Nobody wanted to sound like Autechre, or like any of the other ambient techno/ambient house guys from the 90s. Like, everybody says "Aphex is ssssoooo overrated and mainstream, here these guys are better". Yet none of the guys suggested come even close. Autechre never really diversified much from a per album basis until Exai/Elseq, and not only that they just never had the variety in timbre nor subgenre that Aphex did, always doing some form of cold/metallic timbres arranged in complex techno inspired arrangements.

this.

do you know what "pioneering" means

>brainlet self proclaimed musical experts can't see why digeridoo EP is a ground breaking release in 1992.

it's ok, it's not your fault you were born american

all these folks who try to sound like rdj want to sound like his drill and bass material

all I want is some aphex twinian techno

youtube.com/watch?v=1eXgboNRqQE
youtube.com/watch?v=27aeDriMmCI
youtube.com/watch?v=fQXMvX1HRA8
youtube.com/watch?v=Sort2m3H3dc

idk, nothing turns me off more than someone blatantly trying to sound like RDJ in any way.

Yes, do names like Tim Dissevelt, Dick Raajimakers, Raymond Scott or Eduard Artemyev ring a bell for you? Do you know what ANS synthesizer is? If the answer is yes, then we can agree that everybody after them are just copycats of some sort

Objective musical geniuses:
Kanye
Yorke
Eno

>he doesn't know acid house exists since 80s, it derived to techno in like 90 and Richard didn't really made something special
Ok then

>That's because many WANT to sound like Richard. His stuff resonated with people that much

because he had alot of pop affinity in his music and a catchy image and was willing to sell out while autechre kept it real.

most of his early 90s stuff also aged terribly compared to other music from the same period and in general he didnt really didnt pioneered anything infact most of the time he was years late catching up with trends.

>Kanye
too hit or miss
>Yorke
too derivative
>Eno
yeah I'll agree with that one

>early 90s stuff also aged terribly
such as?

>in general he didnt really didnt pioneered anything infact most of the time he was years late catching up with trends.

So much this

>Aphex Twin
>Selling out
What

Couldn't agree more. He has mastered the art of electronic music more than anyone ever has. It is as close to perfection, both technically and emotionally as it's gonna get. Some people don't like to call him Mozart of electronic music, well listen to fuckin Ziggomatic 17. Doesn't get much better than that.

>pop affinty
How's he any more poppy than any of those guys other than Autechre? The Orb, Orbital, FSOL, etc. were also very melodic.

>Autechre kept it real
Nope. I got beef with this as an actual fan of the Detroit techno that influenced them. Detroit techno sounds nowhere near as lifeless, and has a lot more diversity in rhythms. Autechre didn't keep it "real", and that's some dumb pretentious shit.

>Aged badly
Still the most acclaimed record of its style. And no, it aged far better than most of his peers' stuff because his peers' stuff was made with a strict purpose to be played in a side room of a club where more chill stuff is played for the come down. Clubs/warehouses don't function like this anymore. Not only that, considering that SAW 85-92 has been far more influential to everything else that came after it, and I don't see how you can say it's badly aged. Maybe an argument can be made for AB1, but not SAW and everything after.

who is the other four?
be objective pls

opn
dean blunt
james ferraro
arca

do they need to keep making music or they just need to be alive?

Oh, I didn't even see the "he didn't pioneer anything." That's bullshit. Like I said, SAW 85-92 was highly influential. Nobody tried to approach the sound like The Orb or Orbital with their side room in clubs approach or Autechre's complex non melodic sounds. Nope, everyone from Bjork to Massive Attack to Radiohead copied the SAW 85-92 approach. Not to mention that Xylem Tube did breakcore before Squarepusher did, in fact Squarepusher says that Xylem Tube was an influence to him.

alive

I agree. His music has to be the best electronic shit out there

>The Orb, Orbital, FSOL, etc. were also very melodic.

the discussion was between aphex and autechre not orb or orbital or fsol

>Nope. I got beef with this as an actual fan of the Detroit techno that influenced them.

detroit techno was one influence doesnt mean they have to sound complete like detroit techno.
when i wrote kept it real im just meant he had a more pop music like image(music videos etc) that helped his popularity autechre kept a more low profile

>That's bullshit.

biosphere did ambient techno before saw + some saw track are ripoffs unless you believe that bullshit that he really wrote some of them in the mid 80s

>not to mention that Xylem Tube did breakcore before Squarepusher did

you realize people outside of warp records release music?

so is ur mom haha

the lads from plaid are insanely underrated as innovators

youtube.com/watch?v=YeI795fVoqE
this thing is from 1989

>literally howling that people think Autechre is anywhere close to Aphex Twin in terms of innovation, complexity and music with actual soul.

and that's not a dig at those two lads either, they're definitely ahead of the game, but they are no where near Dickie.

You can track down electronic music just to kraftwerk?

Pleb...

>music with actual soul.
You mean in electronic music?

Not even kidding I am certain that John Frusciante is one of them. I'm not even the biggest RHCP fan. But Frusciante man.

>Aphex and Autechre
Okay, I don't think I need to go any further because I already mentioned specific aspects of their music and Aphex is preferred.
>low profile
That doesn't automatically make one a better or worse artist.
>Biosphere
I have listened to Microgravity. It's got some similar elements but the end result isn't all that close. Sounds closer to Tangerine Dream with beats than what Aphex did with his approach to changing timbre.
>ripoffs
Cite this, and the originals better be the better tracks, too.
>you realize people outside of warp records release music?
Yeah. And the break core/drill n bass genres had its first ideas in Xylem Tube which was a few years before the mid 90s boom for that stuff

I don't get why people can't get their head around the possibility of him making SAW 85-92 in his teens. He made Dukqs when he was 30 ffs. Bit of (admittedly brilliant) ambient techno shouldn't be a problem then when he was 14-20.

>He made Dukqs when he was 30 ffs
it shows

If you are OP, you did not give any arguments to support your first conclusion.

>Scaruffi score
I know these images are meant to be bait but Jesus christ

>Aphex is preferred.

opinions, personally not a big fan of any of them.

>That doesn't automatically make one a better or worse artist.

yes but it would explain why one is more popular than the other

>Cite this, and the originals better be the better tracks, too.

there was a thread on watmm couple of years ago im too lazy to dig it up but it was like couple of songs that sounded really fucking similar

>break core/drill n bass genres had its first ideas in Xylem Tube

[citation needed]

>drukqs
>afx worst album

Druqks is overrated

I have to admit it wasn't as emotionally rewarding as some of hs other work when I first heard it. But after a while it just grew on me and now it's probably my favourite album. Might sound like random beats at first, but when you listen carefully, especially on slowed down tracks, you hear that everything just flows really well, start picking up on beautiful little melodies in between etc. It's def not an easy listening record, but imo it's worth the time

>opinions
Yes, but Aphex is more preferred generally. That's been my initial point.
>but it would explain why one is more popular
Aphex got vids for later records. He got his big boom in popularity with SAW.
>WATMM
Sure, I'll give it a try.
>citation
Just listen to the damn thing

Lil peep

what about Autechre? I'd argue Autechre is more interesting than Aphex

Taking Control has to be his most criminally underrated track, fucking genius progression that flows so smoothly and organically I can't imagine how he thought of it, it goes hard as fuck in the last third, haunting melodies and genius sequencing on the samples and breaks. If there was one track that encompasses what RDJ is about it has to be that one, pure genius and danceable as fuck, I could listen forever and never get bored. Esp love that haunting laughing when then banging bit breaks down.

And yet he hasn't released an album over a 7

The general impetus towards "intelligent" dance-music yielded the grotesque phenomenon of electronic musician Richard James. The three EPs credited to AFX, starting with Analogue Bubblebath (1991, 1992 and 1993) contained harsh, abrasive dance-music, sometimes sounding like a disco version of Morton Subotnick's electronic poems (and they remained his most valuable musical statements). In the meantime, the catchy singles credited to Aphex Twin, Quoth (1993) and On (1993), were fusing techno and pop, aiming for the charts, and Polygon Window's Surfing On Sinewaves (1992) was traditional, throbbing techno music, aiming for dancefloor appeal. To further confuse his persona, Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works 1985-92 (1992) and Selected Ambient Works Volume II (1994) were experiments in ambient house and abstract electronic/concrete composition. They were childish and antiquated (and perhaps a joke on music critics), but they increased James' reputation, making him the first star of ambient house. I Care Because You Do (1995) cleaned up his act, offering atmospheric dance-music with occasional hints to his old virulent style.

i agree on eno but id debate kanye has done too much for music to not be considered a genius

>and has a lot more diversity in rhythms.
lol come on...there are a lot of reasons you could prefer detroit techno over autechre but that's clearly not true