Domination of lyrics is precisely for the benefit of unmusical people. No lyrics in classical music because it is music...

Domination of lyrics is precisely for the benefit of unmusical people. No lyrics in classical music because it is music. Music is supposed to convey its meaning via melody, which of course must be interpreted for the message (=feeling) to be received, but peasants don't have the attention span or subtlety for that, ergo lyrics are introduced to literally tell the peasants the meaning. Wherever lyrics are introduced they dominate in the listener's ear, to the detriment of the music, because their meaning is easier to interpret. Least dominant in opera, out of all the lyrical forms, which is why opera can be pretty good music. Utterly dominant in rap, which is why rap features such shitty music, usually even stolen from a catchy pop tune, since rappers can't even be bothered to compose anything. Also, lyrics tire you out due to the intensity of the spoken word.

But it is not only the music that degenerates with the addition of lyrics, but also vice versa, since the requirements of the melody — such as it is, in pop music — constrain the lyrics too, condemning them to simplicity and repetitiveness. I mean, it's not like you can deliver an interesting lecture via song lyrics, which would at least have kept the listeners entertained, so childish, repetitive stuff only, and since repetitive they must be kept brief — which is how we went from hour-long symphonies to three-minute pop songs.

>No lyrics in classical music because it is music
Stop talking, retard.

t. right side of the brain sperg who can't convey relatable emotion through lyrics

Left side

he's right to a degree though. lyrics are exist to give the music more life. if you process the lyrics before the actual music you are a pleb.

based trips

>right side of the brain

my grandpa is the biggest turbo pleb I've ever met

he literally can't fathom why music without lyrics would even exist. if anyone plays a guitar near him he will loudly announce that it's "pointless unless you can sing"

I've never encountered anyone so assertive in their pleb ways

>talking shit about your grandparents

listen to some folk you autist

Aphex Twin fucking sucks

>No lyrics in classical music because it is music.
Except for literally all pre-baroque music, opera, oratorio, lied, choral and church music (mass, cantata etc).

>the message (=feeling)
kek

>But it is not only the music that degenerates with the addition of lyrics, but also vice versa, since the requirements of the melody — such as it is, in pop music — constrain the lyrics too, condemning them to simplicity and repetitiveness.
Pro tip: Greek literature (epic and lyric(!) poetry and drama) was always recited alongside musical accompaniment. Basically you're saying that the literature of the founders of western civilization was simple, repetitive and bad.
Not to mention the fact that some the most important opera composers stressed the importance of the words and story (Monteverdi, Gluck, Wagner), while most other composers concentrated only on the music (Händel's work is particularly guilty of that, making the plots nearly irrelevant, so Gluck tried to fix things though his reform).

>we went from hour-long symphonies to three-minute pop songs.
>implying hour-long symphonies weren't a rarity (Mozart's were half that length at most)
>implying that the majority of people in the past weren't listening to simple three-minute folk songs
>implying longer music = better music

And, finally
>posts image of Aphex "post-African repetitions" Twin while advocating for complexity in music

it's true. if people want meaning from words they should just read books.

it's just a story being told over simplistic music. why not read a good work of fiction and listen to well-crafted music instead of combining the two into a mediocre piece of 'art'.

>No lyrics in classical music
Ask me how I know you're a pseud.

>No lyrics in classical music because it is music
>what is opera
>what is choral music
>what are hymns

>Greek literature (epic and lyric(!) poetry and drama) was always recited alongside musical accompaniment.
for the pleb masses
>the most important opera composers stressed the importance of the words and story
for the pleb masses
>implying that the majority of people in the past weren't listening to simple three-minute folk songs
because they were fucking plebs
>implying longer music = better music
now that's just a pleb thing to say

why not do both?

litearlly dont exist. you just made them up

Fascinating arguments

>No lyrics in classical music
OMG the retard, learn your music
Also:
>But it is not only the music that degenerates with the addition of lyrics, but also vice versa, since the requirements of the melody
What is poetry?
You really are a disgrace
PSEUD!

I just realized that those are bear costumes in the background of this photo and not distant mountains. Also you're retarded.

What about artist like Kanye West who are criticized lyrically when they are often praised for the music they create?

Trigger Warning: Black Pill ahead.
-----------------------------------------------
There's no such things as PLEB or PATRICIAN tastes
There's only YOU and how, when, where and why YOU listen something
Otherwise it doesn't matter what you listen, you are listening it WRONG

no shit, it's almost like it's a meme or something.

do you forget that words have sounds as well as meaning? words allow modulation of the human voice. it is because of this modulation we can discern different words in the first place. they SOUND different.

so speech is decoding sound into meaning

which is what you said music was.

OP is obviously retarded, but I agree that people who take lyrics into account when judging any piece of music are massive plebs.

>they're plebs because I say so
the fucking state of Sup Forums

Guess how I know OP never read poetry. Poetry can convey more feelings than a song or a composition could

prove you're not a pleb

Dude, pretty sure the first music was probably someone singing.

it's okay to like lyrical music; just don't call music that focuses on lyrics as good music just because the lyrics make you emotional. if the music isn't good then the song isn't good.

music can convey even more feelings.

the first music was the sounds of nature long before vocal cords existed. vocals just imitate the sound of wind.

isnt this debunked?

t. unmusical person

It's almost as if both the written word and melody can convey feeling and it's almost like it's possible to combine the two to amplify the effect.

Talking over music is like farting on your dinner to give it some flavor. It is literally counter intuitive.

To combine a melody with a beautiful lyric, is a defining element of mankind. The recording industry makes no effort to promote music. Indeed, it would sell sound recordings of dogs being boiled alive, if it would get them shekels.
>and that was Fuang Chow with his new top 40 single "boiling a Shiatsu".
This is a matter of an underwhelming culture dragging down the advancements of a superior culture. Not all cultures mix well.

really triggered a lot of nu male blue-pilled soyboy bugmen cucks with this thread. kek

the problem is when people call mediocre poetry or any poetry 'good music' when the actual music is dull

you, a plebeian: words and story are important to music because lyric poetry

Friedrich Nietzsche, scholar of antiquity:

>it's just a story being told over simplistic music
Confirmed for never listening to folk. Good folk has intricate music.

I like his music but god does he have a punchable face.

you're the reason people don't like Aphex fans

cunt's a pleb, what are you going to do

>When lyrics are introduced, they dominate the listener's ear

>Shoegaze
>Blackgaze
>Certain derivatives of heavy metal including but not limited to
>Black Metal
>Grindcore
>Some sludge/doom metal acts

That's exactly why we musical people like those genres so much. Vocals are used as an additional instrument instead of as lyrics.

>omg like i cannot believe he doesn't know certain varieties of classical music have lyrics in them
>mentions opera in same paragraph
fucking idiots, try looking up the word "exaggeration" and then tell me how you think it could apply here

i always saw the lyrics as a form of subverting standard language usage, it frees up the mind to hear the music.

>words and story are important to music because lyric poetry
Sorry, but I didn't say this and I actually disagree with that statement.

You're the retard here, he isn't "exaggerating", he's making a blatantly false statement. Here's your (YOU) now get the fuck out.