/jazz/

What you've been listening to this year, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/strm_relyear,ss.rd/2017
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Jazz AOTY

damn this looks avant teen af

hahaha i'd almost forgotten about this album

It is, rockist trash

Lee Morgan by the boatload.

or this

why is the album art so bad?

bumping

more recs for 2017 jazz plz

Getz/Gilberto

embarrassing cover art. i seriously hope they don't think they are somehow "above" making interesting cover art because le music is le important part xD obviously yes the music is more important but for christ's sake please don't make these shitty covers

the embarrassing thing is caring about cover art past the age of 16

rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/strm_relyear,ss.rd/2017

nice one

David Binney is god tier. Album art is dumb but honestly who gives a fuck

album covers matter, your ignorance does not prove otherwise

damn, I thought jazz was dead

underaged b&

Marketing is a huge part of music, and while you can't judge the music off it's cover what's more appealing. That cover that looks like a 10 year old made it or something like this, (pic related)

Honestly while it isn't necessary, it certainly helps to grab attention. And you can also tell a lot by the cover sometimes to. If you have the right label or contract/power to, you can get someone to interperate the songs into that art work (like OverNite Sensation or the artwork on Space Oddity)

Plus it can add to the experience and leave an imprint in your brain (Bitches Brew)

So it matters a tiny bit if you care about selling records (which good jazz labels don't) so why bother complaining about it on Sup Forums

I'm not the guy who was trolling you, but also think about this. How is that reflective of you. Like yes it doesn't matter, but honestly what comes to mind when you see this album cover.

Tell me what you think when you see this cover

And not you as in (you) but the artist or group. To clarify

At this point, I'm almost convinced I'll hear something outstanding. Whenever this sad excuse for a board at its current state uses buzzwords like art house, pretentious, snobbish, rockist I know I'm in for something special.

I think that he made the cover himself in MS PAINT and wonder if it's ironic or not

that's it

It's fascinating to see someone just beginning down the path to avant teendom

I agree, but I also think it's lazy looking, so it's likely if he's that lazy with art work couldn't he be that lazy with his music?

I'm not judging the actual music, there are great albums with terrible artwork, but when I saw that I felt it was kinda lazy you know. That's all

Bill Evans
Also a bunch of the ECM releases that have made it to streaming services

I’ve been so into this and pic related. Gonna start listening to guaraldi Charlie Brown Christmas when it snows

I'm no jazz guy but this year I've enjoyed
Tyshawn Sorey - Verisimilitude
Saagara - 2
The Necks - Unfold
Greg Fox - The Gradual Progression
John Zorn - The Interpretation of Dreams
Vijay Iyer Sextet - Far From Over

any recs/comments/concerns?

I agree that both this album and its artwork are gorgeous, but the queen of middle east jazz flute needs to be recognized

here is what I kept listening to and enjoying he most from this year, although it's not classified or whatever
hope it can help you

Bussonnet / Collignon / Godin / Vaillant - Wax'in
Kevin Eubanks - Eat west time line
Pierre Boussaguet - Le semeur
Madness tenors - Be jazz for jazz
Hadouk - Le cinquième fruit
Naïssam Jalal & rhythms of resistance - Almat wala almazala
Francois Carrier - Freedom is space for the spirit
Jens Kristian Andersen - From the nocturnal chironian
Gregory Sallet - Le mouvement crée la matière
Thomas de Pourquery - Sons of love

I actually think the opposite. At least when it comes to jazz.

These small jazz labels don't make money and are basically kept alive by the generosity of their owners. If they've got a very limited budget to make an album do you think they're going to spend the money to hire some trendy graphic designer so the album cover will maybe appeal to soyboy indie rock fans on Sup Forums or are they going to spend the money to make sure the music is well-recorded in the best studio and with the best engineer?

great free record from this year

I understand that don't have much money, but this looks 1000 times more professional than .

I mean I also love some of the classic covers, like 'Round About Midnight, Saxophone Colossus, Blue Train, Miles Stones, Hell Rip Rig and Panic is fine. But Something to set it apart and not look like we just put a picture and did this in 10 minutes. You know? Here's an example form 2017 (also I really dug this EP).

I mean yeah you could argue those were kinda lazy but at least they were stylized. That's also my problem with the Hat Hut covers as of recent. It's just a picture with orange text over it. Like you can honestly make a lot with a little if you are creative. But I understand the monetary limitations, it just doesn't feel finished I guess. Plus if I owned a label and it was alive on my dime, I'd make sure that we get eye catching covers to pull people in for that extra sales revenue, it might not be much, but I'd want to pull as many people in consider we don't have that much money. Like a gimmick that you know it's us.

did anybody else notice that davd binney commented on jtg's review of this on RYM ?

you're not wrong i suppose but its literally free to find a good open-license photo and slap the title/performers on it in a free font

I think that you actually believe what you're saying somehow makes sense.

the criss cross ones are obviously trying to duplicate the blue note aesthetic, they're just doing it poorly

is the Necks - Unfold good? I've keeping it on hold.

this one better?

I mean it would be.....

Based Vijay Iyer. Dude doesn't seem to be able to put a foot wrong.

that album is actually really good. i might consider using that art instead although the original cover is not the worst criss cross one

Bump

Best album by-

>Monk
>Coltrane
>Hancock
>Davis
>Shorter

?

I'm so basic but Kind of Blue continues to stay in my rotation more than any other of his works and has for the last decade.

I actually have fallen out of favor with that

My favorite is Bitches Brew or maybe Round About Midnight

For Coltrane I'd say A Love Supreme, Africa / Brass and the Vol.2 for that, Ole Coltrane, Impressions and Ascension. Also Giant Steps is solid.

Hancock is Empyrean Isles, Sextant, Head Hunters, Crossings,

Monk is probably Brilliant Corners (thout Lulu's Back in Town is my favorite song of his)

Shorter I'm not familiar with enough

>Monk
Brilliant Corners or Alone in San Francisco
>Coltrane
A Love Supreme
>Hancock
Maiden Voyage
>Davis
Miles Smiles
>Shorter
All Seeing Eye

its the only Necks album I've heard yet but I liked it. From someone I know who listens to them its solid but not too high up in their catalogue