Is this the definitive adventure film?

Is this the definitive adventure film?

If not, what is?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ijwzsY8SqY8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I think The Mummy is a close contender, certainly not as good of a film but it's great for what it is and has amazing adventure stuff with tons of great characters

Agreed.

Any others?

Yeah, it's one of my favorite action films.

PotC 1 is pretty damn good

The mark of Zorro.

Another good one

I just remember it as cheesy

Absolutely 100%. The truck scene is probably the greatest action sequence in history.

Wrong pic

I think Road Warrior's final chase beats it out by just a bit, but they sure don't make em like they used to.

Fellowship is the best of the trilogy, but it kind of drags at points. That said, when it works it works and its got the best moments of comfy fantasy adventure of pretty much any film I've seen. I'd say maybe Conan the Barbarian but it's not really an out and out adventure film. Destroyer is, however, but it fucking sucks so it doesn't count, even though it's kind of fun

Oops, meant to post this

bump

You know, I almost feel like Temple of Doom would be the best film in the trilogy if they had fully embraced the dark direction it went in and not thrown in all the weird kid friendly comedy bits. Same shit that ruined Thunderdome, lack of focus on the tone and what audience they wanted to please

What is the checklist for an adventure film?

Does Sahara rate?

The Wicker Man.

Adventures usually end in death

No, Star Wars is.

Star Wars is sci-fi.

Ultimate adventure movie reporting

Doesn't make it any less adventure.

Whoops, you seem to have grabbed the wrong photo by mistake, I got you

Star Wars is not Science Fiction, it's Science Fantasy and is very much an adventure film. It has more in common with The Lord of the Rings than it does with something like 2001

Seriously? Nobody?

Don't really get how this would be considered adventure desu

best girl

CONAN THE BARBARIAN

Kys

>not recognizing funposting when you see it

God damn please return to reddit

Great trilogy, but definitely not adventure.

This, it's more fantasy. I'm unsure if we'd call it adventure but it's really a small thing to debate about. There's just not that much exploration and discovery.

I'd put Atlantis: The LostEmpire in the running for a great adventure movie.

It totally is an adventure, to the future. The focus is on fun, exciting new settings.

Okay, I can see that. I was focusing more on "Adventure" as more of a strict genre though. Like you can't really call Indiana Jones anything besides adventure movies, right? But you can call BttF sci fi and stuff as well

The adventure is what the audience discovers. We go to exotic new worlds, a giant weapon in space, see mystical wizards and ancient magic. It's an adventure. Basically all of star wars is about discovery, it's about a young farm boy who longs for adventure and gets to go on one, complete with rescuing the princess and everything

Oh yeah, definitely, most of these are hybrids. I guess if you're talking pure adventure I'd have to say Lawrence of Arabia. It's pure adventure kino

Self discovery isn't adventure, user.

>go to mos eisley cantina
>meet a daring smuggler and weird aliens
>go to a death space weapon the size of a moon
>see ancient space magic

By no means definitive, but pic related was fun.

Also, Peter Jackson's King Kong, Romancing the Stone/Jewel of the Nile.

I don't doubt you can justify it and sure, why NOT justify it? I just wouldn't call adventure the MAIN genre.
Well, to be fair, adventure is a vague term. Superhero movies can be called that too.

Coming through

KOTOR is an action-adventure game, Star Wars the movies probably more action/fantasy. Adventure tropes doesn't mean it's adventure, though you could argue it falls under the category anyway

Also, do any of the Jurassic Park movies count? I feel like the first two are definitely adventures.

Disney's Aladdin?

That's kinda what I'm getting at. Adventure is such a vague and subjective genre, we're basically limiting it to "a movie where we go to exotic locations on earth and maybe there's treasure or artifacts involved"

King Solomons Mines was the original, this was the knockoff

The Mummy owns so fucking hard. It's amazing how well it's held up

I think Jurassic park movies count... Imdb has it listed as "action" which is the most generic term

The Mummy was about as close as we will ever get to a true Uncharted movie

I'm fine with that though. Uncharted makes for a great videogame, but as a movie it would just feel like a cheap Indiana Jones knockoff. Cause that's what it is at the end of the day

it was more of an indiana jones meets pokemon thb

HEY YOU GUUUUUUUUUUUUYS

Inb4 that gif of Picard from first contact shooting Chunk with the Tommy gun

Amazing film. But good luck getting Sup Forums to agree on it being the definitive adventure. The pacing and satire probably limit it's appeal. That and it's not "popcorn- blockbuster-action" enough.

A New Hope
Fellowship of the Ring.

it doesn't drag at all, though.

National Treasure

youtube.com/watch?v=ijwzsY8SqY8