Why is it so hated?

Why is it so hated?

Moby is a fucking huge douchebag. I used to troll his personal FB page. It was really him because he would post butthurt statuses and selfies talking about his haters afterwards.
I take personal responsibility for BTFOing Moby. He never posted shit like that until I started crapping on everything.

(((music critics))) hate veganism

Good. He’s an utter cunt. I liked his first single (?), Go but the Play album is just saccharine faux-sentimental shit.

Nice production and sampling at least?

Based Moby

I want to hear your war-stories of battling Moby on facebook

Because it....

BRING SALLY UP AND BRING SALLY DOWN

cause some actually listen to dance music

I've often wondered why it is that American rock critics seem to root for Moby. They appear to have decided half-a-decade ago that he was the one that was going to translate the alien aesthetics and protocols of electronic dance culture into albums that you could listen to like regular rock records (ie. no attitude shift or change in listening habits required, no journeys to dark, noisy, drug-infested clubs to experience the site-specific reality of the culture). No matter that nobody within the rave scene has really given a hoot about Moby since "Go" back in '91, or that conversely he's never come close to pop stardom; for rock critics, he is still and will always be the pop ambassador for techno.
Having made that emotional-critical investment, they are delighted and relieved when he comes up with anything half-decent. Play is pleasant enough background music, mildly haunting now and then, but it strikes me as a shrewd and calculated attempt to marry last year's rockcritical crush (the Harry Smith/Revenant/Alan Lomax/Dock Boggs roots Americana bandwagon) with the gospel-house bricolage approach of Fatboy's "Praise You". (Another track on Play is a blatant rip of Stormin' Norman's remix of Beastie's "Body Movin'".) People have been doing this kind of gospel-blues sampling for years within house culture and far more artfully-- e.g. D.H.S, Green Velvet/Cajmere, the sublimely poignant vocal tapestries spun by Todd Edwards, St Germain/Ludovic Navarre sampling ragtime and 1930s Lighning Hopkins (on "Alabama Blues"), ad infinitum.

>calls somebody a cunt but uses "saccharine" in a sentence unironically

does a bigger hack actually exist?

the sampling is so fucking un creative and repetitive. and the small loops he creates barely even work cohesively.

"im free"
I cried in that moment
Never forget
F

I played the album a couple of months ago and really liked it. I was surprised by the quality of the first 5 songs, too lenghty though.

completely agreed, good post

>it has him jumping in the air looking happy
>its called play wtf why??
>its moby so fuck that kek

what is that guy holding?

in my dreams i'm dying all the time

thousand is the only thing moby has made that matters

HEY

WOMAN

it's "hated" now because edgelords and post-irony and largely, simply because it's outdated by today standards

but as a oldfag, the album was universally praised for what it was at the time. It was played on MTV all the fucking time. All my friends loved it and we definitely played it to death.

it's alright...

music made for starbucks and movie trailers

electronic music was never going to succeed on the terms of the rockist rolling spin music press

I forgot the name, but its a device that measure light intensity/lumens

yes, light meter

nailed it, great post. do you write for any publications?

it's simon reyolds

This sounds amusing. Screenshots pls

cheers m80

Are we gonna just Pretend that there are some pretty good fucking song on that album?

Are we gonna pretend that there aren't any good songs on that album?*

Can't fucking type today.

Right-Wing Vegan Death Squads when

>dude that's like 3 meters of light lmao

I haven't listened to a lot of his stuff but i really like the songs i have listened to

This is literally the best album ever made.

If he stays away from social media, he will be less hated.

Sorry - this is Moby's best album.

That said, if you weren't around in the late 1990's you wouldnt know how fresh this sounded then, in a world of Korn, Limp Bizkit, Britney Spears, Sugar ray and RHCP.

Also, it was a nice way to introduce a whole generation to old bluesmen and the Phill Ochs recordings.

Remember there was no "real" internet back then.

Permanent brain damaged person, due to David Lynch's mind control.

underrated post
got a legit chuckle out of it my dude