How do i become a great guitarist without deriving from the blues?

How do i become a great guitarist without deriving from the blues?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8lWu3hEZihc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Derive from jazz?

G Em C D

You can play metal I guess, blues is essentially the most dynamic and difficult style of guitar to play well. The best bands in the world contain blues guitarists, jazz drummers and funk bassists as those are all the hardest styles to master

>the best bands
name em

by passionately listening to all the music and passionately learning to play it on guitar, including the blues, and then synthesizing all the shit you love into a big clusterfuck

You cannot escape the Influence of lusty negro attitudes and bending the minor 7th by a whole step

play music derived from middle eastern guitar
or from japan´s shamisen

If this is a question for you in the first place you're doing it wrong.
and do it A LOT, pretty much as much as you can. Hendrix played all the fucking time, with other people.

Learn it all.

Play out of tune and act like you're doing it on propose because you're too indie to give a fuck about playing normally.

Play country

Who the fuck actually does this? Early Jim Reid?

OP here, ive already been playing for quite a while. Learnt alot of hendrix/other blues material i was just wanting to drift away from playing such an overplayed style but still wanted my playing to remain challenging

Nothing wrong with blues rock, problem is you'll end up like Samantha Fish playing in front of 60 year olds with graying ponytails.

Jazz I guess? That would be challenging and open a lot of other doors along the way. Classical too. What are you actually interested in besides blues? In any case I think the ideal goal would be to reach a point where you don't need a roadmap, even if you need one to get there.

The Velvet Underground did, and I think the Jesus and Mary Chain did too

go learn jazz

Jazz is derived from Blues

I don't think VU did. I know Reed used some really unconventional tunings, but that's not the same thing as being out of tune and having limpdick notes.

I thought I read that they didn’t bother tuning them somewhere, it would make sense though because they really didn’t give a fuck

Listen to a lot of Richie Blackmore.

Everyone thinks that he is the sum of the famous three chord line from "Smoke on the Water." But he now mostly plays renaissance music with his wife.

Anyhow, listen to smoke on the water again. It actually has one of the most tasteful and restrained guitar solos. and those famous easy chords:

Riff:

G5 - Bb5 - C5

then

G5 - Bb5 - Db5 - C5

Basically he is student of classical and then sets the classical chords/notes to a country rhythm (later - a metal one and his approach is his own country/blues/jazz and classical)

Listen to his first real hit "hush":

Deep Purple was truly innovating on the standard blues rock that spawned them. Hear that chooglin', chugging? That is straight 50's swamp country.

Lastly - like many great guitarists, he invented his own chords. Check out a video like this one
youtube.com/watch?v=8lWu3hEZihc
to "learn" how to play a Deep Purple or Rainbow song and they always say - so do a F flat - but dont do an F flat, just move your finger here.

Anyhow, I think he is a great place to start if you want to be a little more inventive and his gutar playing - even if not all his songs structure - mostly comes from classical.

Jazz, or Classical.
Traditionalist folk too

Yeah probably. But even then I'm sure it was just another experiment. Weird tunings are great. Being out of tune just makes your shit sound pathetic unless it's at some perfect dissonant thing. I'm sure people have done it as a rule but even in the most pretentious circles it's wrong. Like, wrong wrong, not good wrong.

Not really. Jazz derived originally from Classical and world folk. Blues influenced kicked in later on and dominaed. Then in the 60s it was replaced again by Classical influences.

What bands even purposely detune their shit for indeh cred?

I dont know about newer bands, but:

Dinosaur Jr
Sonic youth

And the Breeeders couldnt be fucked with tuning

Start with a different guitar tradition altogether. Spanish/flamenco is a good one. It's western enough to use the same kind of general approach, scales, etc. as more familiar music (so it's not utterly foreign like Chinese opera or something), but it has its own idiom within the broader western umbrella.

>still not understanding the difference between weird tunings and actually being out of tune/difference between some dissonant experiments and just not giving a shit

Oh i get it...
I just answered the question.

Dino and sonic de-tuned their guitars purposely

Breeders just didnt bother tuning in the first place

Guitar is a one trick pony. Go to greener pastures and learn a different instrument.

sonic youth genuinely didn’t give a fuck either, especially not considering their early no wave stuff

never mind you're right and i haven't listened to enough SY

It's great, isn't it?

>How do i become a great guitarist without deriving from the blues?

lrn 2 modes

classical

this.

Either classical or something from completely different culture

this is the gayest thing he could possibly do you fuckin weeb

Derive from rap?

This guy just sounds like he's noodling forever, and doesn't understand the concept of a motif.

>But he now mostly plays the worst kind of medieval supermarket music with his wife.

Who cares. Just play whichever way comes naturally to you

Wtf william shatner plays guitar?

>the harder the music is to play the better it is
people actually think this

>Lastly - like many great guitarists, he invented his own chords.

There is literally not a single chord or humanly possible voicing variation of said chords that has yet to be played on the guitar, or any instrument for that matter.

Every possible grouping of notes into a chord was named and classified a long time ago.

Nah, he does. Listen to Metal Fatigue.

Just learn from GOOD in indie rock guitarists

Sup Forums is so full of newfags that nobody will get this. Pretty sad.

What, that it's the chords to IAOTS?

And Monster Mash and lots of other stuff, incidentally?

>G Em C D
Should be
> I-iii-IV-V

Still stuck in key specific thinking, newfriend?

>How do i become a great guitarist without deriving from the blues?
You don't. You need the lusty negro attitudes of the blues otherwise your playing will suck balls.

Modal progressions.

Work on your singing and start singing and playing at the same time. Try some some serious stuff, not three chord songs

Everyone gets it. The joke has been done to death.