Language Learning - /lang/

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-European_languages
apprendre.tv5monde.com/?utm_source=tv5monde&utm_medium=metanav&utm_campaign=langue-francaise_mise-en-avant_apprendre-le-francais
pastebin.com/JN01tWVF
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for death metal

Yeah, that's what my though process has been so far. I have absolutely no interest in Chinese culture but I am interested in Arab and Persian culture. Persian is somewhat related to English so it should be the easiest to learn.

How can I take the CEFR test for French?

Work ever works best for you, as long as it is EVERY DAY.

CIEP / Alliance Français manages that for French. Search it on google and see if they are doing tests in your state.

Hey, I tried to make a french flowchart.
I'd love it if any french learners could help me improve it, and keep making flowcharts guys, especially the American guy

I appreciate these flowcharts that you guys make as they can be helpful for beginners. However, I personally don't like them. I don't think there's a certain time when you become intermediate and that you should do this and that. It can give some people the wrong idea about learning a language.

For me, I like to just go with the flow and immerse myself in the language. Have a textbook to learn how the language works, use anki to learn sentences, practice listening with youtube vloggers, practice writing by using hellotalk or interpals, practice speaking by going out in the city or using hellotalk again.

Learning is different for everyone.

>Persian is somewhat related to English
how??

They have a common ancestor many thousands of years ago, Proto Indo-European. All of the languages in Europe besides Finnish, Estonian, Hungarian, and Basque are part of this large language family. The Iranian and Indian languages are part of the Indo-Europoean family as well, including Kurdish.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-European_languages

Ah, you were talking about that. Roger.

Duolingo isn't useful after half way? Is that a common feeling for all languages or just yours on French?

Keep in mind that it has been at least 4000 years since Proto-Indo-Iranian diverged from Proto-Germanic, and any remaining similarities may be pretty minor.

I know that, but it will certainly make it easier than learning a completely alien language like Quechua or Chinese.

What's this fascination with the Russian languages I see around here? Lots of people are saying they want to or are learning it. Is that just Sup Forumssters fascinated by the shirtless dwarf or what?

It's exotic enough to interesting/impressive to learn but not so exotic that it is intimidating.

B2fag here, I'm willing to speak with my /int folks

Looks good faм.

I agree, I thought about making the Swedish one with no "guide" or "follow this then do that" kinda instructions because of the reasons you mentioned but it was going to be a little empty so I ended up putting a short one in it.

Duolingo is only useful for vocabulary and maybe a little bit of osmotic grammar learning.

>French music
>Zaz stromae
Please god no. I'd pour garlic juice in your eyes if you were to say that head to head to me
Put Jacques Brel, Léo ferré, Edith Piaf, Jacques Dutronc, Brassens, Joe Dassin, Charles Aznavour instead.

I've just started learning a language and that has been my finding.

Pimsleur seems to help me the most with speaking. Lingvist and Duolingo are good for vocab. Memrise is good for handy phrases so far.

Is Princeton Russian Course better than Russian Course byMemrise?

Lol
Are you stuck in 1950

Lot of people can't pronounce the French U m8, add it.
Also, Stromae is Belgian not French

I've got a quick question about Turkish
Why do phrases like İyi akşamlar and iyi geceler seem to be in plural? Why is it good nights/geceler and not night/gece?

Or you could just go on Tv5monde and learn French
apprendre.tv5monde.com/?utm_source=tv5monde&utm_medium=metanav&utm_campaign=langue-francaise_mise-en-avant_apprendre-le-francais

It's the same in Spanish, buenos días, buenas noches
No reason in particular

radio garden, Exa fm 104.9 mexico city
They're talking about how gay men get stimulation from anal penetration

You trying to learn Spanish?

there is no specific answer I think, but if you only say "iyi gece" it seems like just a half sentence in Turkish, just an adjective and a noun
so "-ler" is more of an emphasizer rather than a plural maker

Yeah. I'm just surprised by the topic, it seems like something that would never be on the radio in America.

Agree on all points.

Make sure you start ingesting media (writing/tv/movies) soon. Pimsleur is too slow and enunciated for normal conversation. It definitely helps you to be understood (speaking) but listening comprehension is a totally different ballgame.

>Not loving Little Sparrow
Look at this contrarian.

If you want to wish something good or bad on someone you add the plural to the end, "İyi geceler, Hayırlı ramazanlar, Büyüklere selamlar.." as for why that is the case it is not a grammar rule it's just how people said that through the years so it kinda got stuck you see.Sentence will sound naked to a native speaker if you don't add that"-ler/-lar".

Huh thats interesting.
While I've got you here can I ask you about the names of the days? Knowing the meaning behind them might help me memorize them better. Like Friday is Cuma and Saturday is Cumartesi, right? So does that mean anything? Same with Sunday being Pazar and Monday being Pazartesi. Tuesday being Salı seems to be a bit of an outlier as Wednesday/Çarşamba and Thursday/Perşembe sound similar.
Sorry for the weird question, but it knowing the background/history of some words helps me solidify the vocab in my mind.

Thank you. I'm still pretty early in my learning, but already want to incorporate movies and tv. I need to find some Spanish movies and TV with subtitles. Narcos and Pan's Labyrinth are on my list. Someone mentioned watching anime with spanish dubs AND subtitles, but I don't know where to torrent that.

Yeah, American radiowaves are extremely regulated.

Pazartesi and Cumartesi are actually conjunction of two words, Pazar + ertesi and Cuma + ertesi respectively. Erte means "after, future etc." but we actually never use it on its own, however "X ertesi" or "X-in/ın ertesi", meaning "after X", are more commonly used. So after Pazar, Pazartesi comes, logically. I actually don't have a clue about the rest of days, they may have some meanings in old turkish/arabic/ottoman etc but definitely not used in modern turkish, çarşamba/perşembe included. Pazar also means bazaar/market, maybe it's because people usually go to pazar on Pazar

Definitely start soon.

I was learning Spanish for a time before I travelled through a number of Spanish speaking countries but I used the resources you already listed.

I could get around but was only able to have a conversation if people accommodated and slowed down.

I'm very fortunate to have a variety of Spanish speaking colleges. After I get the basics I'm going to start chatting with them more which should help. A lot of them only speak Spanish though, no English, so I need to a little bit of a baseline to get started.

How is your Spanish now? How long have you been learning?

Pimsleur is really good for developing a native accent. FSI is pretty good too, plus it's free.

>head to head
I don't know if that's a joke or a reference. But, usually english speakers would say face to face. Not head to head.

Do you have any idea which came first - the day was called Pazar because it's the day for shopping, or the activity got its name from the day?

Perfect. It's so much easier to practice your Spanish when the other person has shit or non-existent English. You can't fall back to what you already know.

My Spanish is still terrible because I'm still on holidays (but left Spain about 2 months ago) and so haven't focused on learning again.

I'm close to b2 in german trying to read winnetou but it's hard as shit I dont know almost every other word.

Also I would say after grammar the hardest part of german is being able to say the verbs at the end of a sentence when speaking it feels so backwards.

And I'm also learning basic french, does anybody know any good online french resources?

what I said is more of a theory, I've seen people/articles mentioning it but I've never seen an evidence but it's most likely the former
the word Pazar comes from Persian so it's wiser to ask them, because I'm sure that Ottomans stole both the word and its 2 meanings together (didn't steal one meaning and from that invented the other)

does anyone else on here like to study languages as long as possible during the day? I feel like I dont get shit done in 1 or 2 hours

The word we use for Friday "Cuma" comes from the arabic root of getting together, which is like "c'ma" or something, as friday is the sunday for muslims, get together time.So it's highly likely the day "Pazar" also came from something like "time shop" as it's also a loan word.

>native
Russian

>speak
Polish, English

>used to learn but don't speak now, but can understand some words
French

>never learned but understand
Ukrainian, Belarussian (for theese languages skills in Polish are usefull too)

I feel like progress is a simple matter of hours worked.
So the more you do the faster you improve. Though after a while it's hard to keep your motivation up because you feel like you never going to see the end and your progress slows down because you don't put in the right amount of hours anymore.

>I feel like progress is a simple matter of hours worked.
Yep, one of the best things I read about language learning is to measure it in hours and not in months or years.

Teşekkürler! That actually helps me a bit. I figured there was something to do with after but I haven't learned Erte yet, only sonra.
This is also really good to know, at least in my case.

Thanks, didn't know about FSI. There are so many tools it's overwhelming.

How long have you been trying to learn?

Is 600 hours to learn Spanish from English a meme?

The foreign service institute says 600 hours of courses is required for an English speaker to reach proficiency in Spanish. So if you're doing it on your own it might take a little bit more, depending on your self-motivation and method.
If you put in an average of 2 hours per day that's less than an year, which is nothing for getting to an B2-C1 level.

also "ertelemek" means "to postpone"

Thank you.

>get overconfident, because I can write an essay in Spanish without breaking a sweat
>start reading literature in Spanish
>can't even get through ther first page without having my nose on the dictionary
I really need something easy to read like comic books

>tête-à-tête
It's a French expression. We use it in Greek too, mainly on football

Do you have a saying you use when you are "applying for something"?

I know the feeling. What about childrens books?

Moar resources

pastebin.com/JN01tWVF

I have some in French actually, good idea.

Try Mortadelo y Filemón, it's one of the most popular
I also read Zipi y Zape when I was little, I think both have a fair amount of weird words but if you get past that they're pretty fun

Don't know if I should fall for the telegram chat meme again...

Ask me about the language you're learning. I like questions

cheers

Like apply for a job or something?
We have "kάνω αίτηση για kάτι" which literally means "I make application/request for something" .

We use the verb "prijaviti (se)" (reflexive)
It literally means "to-at-call" or loosely "literally" "to adhere"

Yeah like applying for a job.I see, I was wondering if you had something like we use "başvurmak" which word for word translates to hitting your head but means applying for a job, like an idiom.

Yours also sounds normal for what it's trying to say desu.

And for getting in, we use the verb "upasti" colloquially. "To fall into [X]" lmao

Does the se make it reflexive? That's the same as in Spanish if that's the case

Forever stuck on B2 with needing some more for C1
fuck my life

>Belgian
But people speak French in Belgium

>Charles Aznavour

The "se" makes it reflexive, yes.
Same as in all Slavic languages. For example, Russian appends it in style of a suffix. "cя"

Their "бoятьcя" (lat. bojat'sja) - "to be affraid" is our "Bojati se"

easiest and fastest language to learn?

One closest to your mother tongue.
Don't want to study those and proficient in English? Those closest to English.
You have your choices narrowed now

Memesperanto
Or probably Spanish, if you want to learn a real language

for you, spanish or galician

Can't brs learn spanish in like a week

Interesting, does it conjugate with the rest of the verb?
For example in Spanish the infinitive form of to bathe yourself is "bañarse", but when it's conjugated into the first person present it becomes "me baño"
Interestingly the verb to be afraid isn't reflexive in Spanish

In general for everyone?Has to be some conlang like Esperanto, in your case it's Spanish I imagine.

It is not conjugated.

"Kupam se" - "I bathe [myself]"
"Kupaš se" - "You bathe [yourself]"

reflexive verbs were totally alien to me since we don't have them in Finnish. I first learned them in Swedish. They are quite interesting, for example, to learn in Swedish is actually to teach oneself.

He should spend a bone grinding 4-5 months of learning Latin. It will unlock vast potential for understanding all Romance languages. Since he's a native speaker of a Romance language, this skill will be even more invaluable
When I say "learning Latin", I mean vocabulary primarily. There are some good Vulgar Latin books out there (unfortunately, I've lost them since my laptop broke down), but they were invaluable to me

This desu, I thought it would go like "Jag har lart Svenska", turns out it's more like "Jag har lart mig Svenska".

You studied Latin?

any user learning arabic?

>Jag har lart mig Svenska
Sounds unnatural...

>You studied Latin?
Yes

it's impossible to learn a language after you become 10

Ah yeah that's it. Honest mistake
I usually mix idioms and play it "Ah yeah, well I'm French I can't speak English anyway" so I've gotten pretty lazy with those.

More than I care to admit but I had no focus and was doing it haphazardly so had long breaks in between where I had to essentially start from the beginning multiple times. Probably over the course of 2 years...

Yes. Don't bother.

>Azerbaijani
>the Memrise courses suck
>I can help you with Dutch, Low Saxon, Papiamentu
>I need Azeri's to explain me some stuff

pls halp

Why not start with Turkish? It's almost the same.

I will be travelling to Azerbaijan soon. Besides that, I love their cute little schwa

I didn't think I'd ever say this, but that's kind of cute bro.

>Yep, one of the best things I read about language learning is to measure it in hours and not in months or years.
I should keep that in mind for my study and learning

Which language?

This

"Mortadelo y Filemón" is hella funny