Pretty great but a tad tedious

pretty great but a tad tedious

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/223378825
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yeah, a lot of tracks could have been dropped.

>he doesn't delete the tracks he doesn't like just becausethe album would be incomplete without those tracks
just delete the shitty pointless filler songs

i think most people would agree with that nowadays, really

As a listener I agree. As a producer it's like a Mount Everest of what the fuck how did he do that / what did he even do there? Also, Avril 14th and Nanou 2 are just fantastic pieces.

necessary viewing

vimeo.com/223378825

Is it me or is Ziggomatic 17 some of the most perfect music ever written?
>thank you for your attention, bye.

>that track where it's just richard's parents singing happy birthday to him
I dont know why but I found it pretty cute

It's not just you. I wish I could see an actual count of how many times I've listened to that track.

If he did basically the whole thing in that tracker with samples I wonder how the filtery acid-synth stuff was done. Like the lead on Ziggomatic. Is that just one synth note being played back through a digital filter in the tracker or did he just track the full sequence from the synth normally and do the rest in the tracker? Doesn't sound like a 2001 digital filter to me.

I have a theory that the majority of drukqs' beat-based tracks are sample based, including the synths. It's entirely possible he just recorded a fuckton of sample libraries from his synths and then heavily chopped and pitch shifted them in a tracker. Some of that Vordhosbn vid looks more like wavetable or something though.
It would explain why stuff like the pads in Mt Saint Michel and Vordhosbn have a crackly downsampled quality to them.

Definitely a lot of the synths are sample based. You can hear some of the long sounds looping once the notes hit a certain duration. And he said in some interview that he did the whole thing in that tracker (forgot what it's called. Some tracker for Mac). Just the filter thing is weird to me cuz it all sounds like analog filters or at least not 2001 level software filters and there's filter FM and stuff going on that I don't think you could even do in a tracker at that time. But I guess, as you say, he could have just recorded loads of stuff and then chopped it. I wonder how you would approach that though in terms of pitch? Sample everything at one note basically and then just use pitch shifting for everything? Or just track tons of melodic loops at whatever pitch and then hope you have the notes you want?

Possibly a mixture, I reckon mainly sampling one-shot notes with varying filter positions across a keyboard. Pitch shifting to get slides and detuning.

Ultravisitor was his last good album m8

Just tracked a bunch of one notes and sequenced/pitched them. I think this is how he did it.

eh.. Drukqs is a totally different kind of experience. Yeah the beats on Go Plastic are more experimental and crazier and more technically involved but that's just one aspect of the music. Drukqs creates a totally different world from Go Plastic and it's a way more unique world IMO. The emotional variety of Drukqs is also far greater. Greenways trajectory is truly fucked up though. Insane that he apparently did that without a computer. Used a Yamaha QY700.

Bump because talking about Drukqs is more interesting than 90% of whatever else is posted here ever.

I don't get the hype around Go Plastic. It's good, but Ultravisitor is much better at doing the same thing.

Feed Me Weird Things is also underappreciated. Oh and Hello Everything is great to listen to as a whole even if the individual songs by themselves aren't as good.

>ultravisitor better at doing the same thing
PSHHH. Name one track on Ultra with beatfu half as impressive as Greenways Trajectory. You can't. The albums are completey different. Ultravisitor is an experiment in mixing live instrumentation with his electronic approach and it's a bunch of weirdo-jazz and noise pieces. Go Plastic is insane electronic beats and that's all.

I'm gonna listen to both albums and get back to you.

Cool. Hopefully the thread will survive.

He threw a bunch of shit on an album knowing that his fans would lick it up nomatter what it was

Has some good tracks, has some random averageness